• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

I had a question on something on how this game involves choice and quest progression from ME2 to ME3. Early game spoiler in ME3 regarding the Kasumi DLC in ME2.

So, I got the Kasumi DLC, and played through it, finished it. Thumbs up right. And now I'm playing ME3, and I met the Salarian operative. And Kasumi approached me. Quest begins. Right. Whatever. But what would happen if I never downloaded that DLC from ME2, would this side quest not exist in ME3? Or, would the character Kasumi exist and this side quest exist, but my Shepherd isn't as familiar with the situation or the character (via background story) if I never downloaded the DLC in ME2.

Just wondering how the game would handle that situation for somebody who never downloaded that DLC. Try not to give other examples please, as I have only just started ME3's single player.

Kasumi isn't involved in the quest if you didn't encounter her in ME2 (or if she's dead). It mostly changes the end of the quest.

If the player did not have Kasumi in Mass Effect 2 or she did not survive the suicide mission, Shepard will have no interaction with her during this quest. During the final scene with Bau and Zymandis, the player must choose between saving Bau (using a Renegade interrupt) or stopping the upload. Saving Bau will reward a Spectre war asset (Military Strength: +40), while stopping the upload adds the Hanar and Drell Forces war asset (Military Strength: +50).

Arjen

I finished it last night, Bioware managed to top my worst case scenario.
Quite an achievement..
Time to read trough the spoiler thread.

Dresden

Note to self: Sentinels are insane.

Bonus Power (rank 6 Offensive Mastery): 15% chance to trigger no cooldown on your power.

+

Bonus Power (rank 5 Stasis): 30% chance to trigger no cooldown on your powers.

You spam biotics even more than adepts. Singularity isn't missed when Liara can do it with like a 2 second cooldown.

Just finished Rannoch. Wow. Managed to
get them to cooperate
. Tense shit,
waiting to see if that persuasion attempt worked.

I just noticed that
the names of people who die in ME3 are added to the memorial on the ship. RIP Legion (and Thane and Mordin).

Can't wait for the ending to destroy all these good moments...

Bonus Power (rank 6 Offensive Mastery): 15% chance to trigger no cooldown on your power.

+

You spam biotics even more than adepts. Singularity isn't missed when Liara can do it with like a 2 second cooldown.

Wait those things stack? WTF MAN that's god damn broken.

Balphon

+

The Stasis one works with only Stasis in MP, despite the wording. Is it different in SP?

AniHawk

beat it. spoilers and stuff for the game and things.

+thane's death. i think this was the best part of the game as far as connecting to the characters went.
+mordin's death. not as good as thane's, and cliche, but it was done well and it was done right. i liked it.
+rannoch. returning tali to her homeworld and brokering peace between the geth and the quarians was pretty cool. because this was a big point in all three games, it felt like it had some weight to it, more than the main plot involving the reapers and everything else that vanished in me2 or showed up for the first time in me2.
+garrus.
+tali.
+faunts for the credits. i don't know why they didn't do this for me2, but it was good to see them back for me3.

-ignoring absolutely everything else i found wishy-washy about this game, the fact that it doesn't do what the franchise set out to do with the first game is dumb. the endings (and the lack of variations between them) don't bother me as they are (even if they are confusing), but me3 failed to do accomplish the whole point of the series. if me2 should be criticized for its shift in presentation, me3 should be lambasted for failing the franchise completely.

Dresden

The Stasis one works with only Stasis in MP, despite the wording. Is it different in SP?

After three or so hours of using it, Throw (which with stasis are the only powers I use, pretty much) seemed to be getting reset at a decent rate. But that could just be RNG being RNG.

Also, with one of the rank 5 Throw (that resets cooldown on biotic detonations) powers, I can probably just spam Throw with almost no wait time while keeping Tech Armor up + heavy weaponry by hauling along Liara (maxed out mastery lets her have fast Singularities) and Javik. Haven't tried it yet but that should be nuts.

Salih

kinda funny...reading the impressions here you would get the feeling that people really enjoy this game overall. however if you go to the spoiler thread you suddenly recognize a raging forum mob lynching not only this game but also view the whole trilogy as a reductio ad absurdum.

kinda funny...reading the impressions here you would get the feeling that people really enjoy this game overall. however if you go to the spoiler thread you suddenly recognize a raging forum mob lynching not only this game but also view the whole trilogy as a reductio ad absurdum.

I actually really liked the game just not the last 5% I think almost everybody in the spoiler thread echoes the same opinion.

Replicant

95% of the game is fine, hell, even gold. It's the ending that stinks like brown poo.

Arjen

I loved the game right upon the last 10 minutes, as far as i can tel that's how i lot of people feel.

What I really don't like about Mass Effect 3 is the missing transparency. It is just really bad game design, if there are side quests, which you have to complete before advancing the main story, or otherwise they are gone, and side quests which you can't complete before advancing the main story. Problem: The game does not tell you which is which. This is really annoying, because I have to waste time checking these quests or looking them up on the internet.

And I am not sure if I like how Mass Effect 3 incorporates decisions I have made in the previous games. I have no problem with obvious choices, but there seem to be some cases, where you get points for minor decisions which add or may not add up to big consequences in ME3. Until now I had luck, I hope it stays that way until the end. Apart from that I like the game very much.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Gemüsepizza;36082696 said:
What I really don't like about Mass Effect 3 is the missing transparency. It is just really bad game design, if there are side quests, which you have to complete before advancing the main story, or otherwise they are gone, and side quests which you can't complete before advancing the main story. Problem: The game does not tell you which is which. This is really annoying, because I have to waste time checking these quests or looking them up on the internet.

And I am not sure if I like how Mass Effect 3 incorporates decisions I have made in the previous games. I have no problem with obvious choices, but there seem to be some cases, where you get points for minor decisions which add or may not add up to big consequences in ME3. Until now I had luck, I hope it stays that way until the end. Apart from that I like the game very much.

As far as I can tell there's only one point in the game where side missions expire, then you get a second wave of them. The time limit stuff isn't really much to worry about, it's more of a problem with the journal.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I haven't read the thread to avoid spoilers and I haven't played SP because I'm waiting for a face import fix, so can anyone say if my decisions from 1-2 matter or it is the same shit as in ME2 - a couple of emails, a couple of conversations and that is all?

I've started a new game +, and my reputation is maxed out with a mix of paragon and renegade. Is that ratio now fixed? Is it impossible to increase one now?

I haven't read the thread to avoid spoilers and I haven't played SP because I'm waiting for a face import fix, so can anyone say if my decisions from 1-2 matter or it is the same shit as in ME2 - a couple of emails, a couple of conversations and that is all?
Certain things really matter, yes.

But thats because the game is amazing right up to the last 10 minutes, which makes the entire trilogy worthless.

Kurtofan

Your decisions matter more than in ME2.Way less "remember me?" emails.
Actually the emails are mostly "eh Shep how it's going?Come talk to me at the Citadel!" and "it was great working with you Shepard" for sidequest stuff.
Who survived and some things you did in past games influence the outcome of the main missions.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Your decisions matter more than in ME2.Way less "remember me?" emails.
Actually the emails are mostly "eh Shep how it's going?Come talk to me at the Citadel!" and "it was great working with you Shepard" for sidequest stuff.
Who survived and some things you did in past games influence the outcome of the main missions.

thanks

bisoneyes.jpg

gdt

Okay, is this the Hanar mission that everyone says is bugged? The one with
Kasumi
? How do I avoid it bugging out?

Riposte

Okay, is this the Hanar mission that everyone says is bugged? The one with
Kasumi
? How do I avoid it bugging out?

Complete it as soon as you get it. Don't leave the citadel, etc. Use the map to find things to interact with if you haven't been.

K' Dash

Damn it!, this fetch quests are so fucking annoying, I did all nebulas and systems available yesterday to 100% completion and then went to the fucking citadel and they gave me even more than the ones I resolved, ugh.

I mean, if they were actual sidequests I wouldn't mind,, I played ME2 only once because I hated with passion the scan minigame and I won't be playing this a second time because of these fucking boring stupid sidequests, I hate scaning shit.

Eusis

Why read a book/play a game if it was okay to just have ending casually revealed to you?
If this is about why bothering to still experience it: in the case of a story it's because it's generally more about execution and getting into the experience. If it depended simply on cheap twists then it probably wasn't really a GREAT story to begin with.

As for playing a game: depending on a game it's the least damn important thing to it all. Like Geometry Wars, the only spoiler I can see that having is whether or not it even HAS an ending.

Kurtofan

Damn it!, this fetch quests are so fucking annoying, I did all nebulas and systems available yesterday to 100% completion and then went to the fucking citadel and they gave me even more than the ones I resolved, ugh.

I mean, if they were actual sidequests I wouldn't mind,, I played ME2 only once because I hated with passion the scan minigame and I won't be playing this a second time because of these fucking boring stupid sidequests, I hate scaning shit.

You don't need to do those, they're completely optional.

Uhhh.... I just finished the
first Tuchunka Genophage
mission and I'm like 8 hours in. Am I like blowing through this game really quickly or something?

bengraven

beat it. spoilers and stuff for the game and things.

+thane's death. i think this was the best part of the game as far as connecting to the characters went.
+mordin's death. not as good as thane's, and cliche, but it was done well and it was done right. i liked it.

tumblr_lzvm4mQMzS1qa6lp8.gif

You have these two confused.

The first was a total cliche, the second was a great powerful moment. Also cliche, but much less cliche and much more emotionally engaging.

And this is coming from someone who liked the first character better than the second.

I wish my waifu
Jack
were playable. I'd sacrifice Garrus/Vega for her. :(

Same here, especially as there should have been another default base-game biotic available. If I ever go back to a new ME2 run I'll make her "official" as LI for ME3 even though it won't change much beyond I assume some dialog at key points.

bengraven

Same here, especially as there should have been another default base-game biotic available. If I ever go back to a new ME2 run I'll make her "official" as LI for ME3 even though it won't change much beyond I assume some dialog at key points.

I wish my waifu
Jack
were playable. I'd sacrifice Garrus/Vega for her. :(

She was my official LI all the way until the end.
You don't really get much closure from her. You can tell that she's obsessed with her school now and even straight up tells you twice that she wants "no strings attached" sex because she just "wants to get laid". Shep is like "um, well, I love you too".

The ending of their story reminded me of two people going to college who fall madly in love. She's the art school chick with rage issues and he's the business major. The sex is pretty good. Then they graduate and have to spend a summer away from each other. They still write occasionally.

When they finally get together they realize they've changed. Business major is now executive vice president of marketing and working 6 days a week, 14 hours a day. Art chick is about to jump on a plane to fly to Bolivia where she opened an orphanage and protects it from radical guerillas.

They just moved apart.

That kind of made me sad. haha

I remember how excited I was when they first announced her. People on GAF thought I was nuts...especially when I said I wanted to make T-shirts that said "Joined a cult...kept the haircut". "Dude, are you fucking kidding me?" someone asked. hahaha

Edit: ha, found the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375478&highlight=joined+a+cult+kept+the+haircut&page=2

AniHawk

tumblr_lzvm4mQMzS1qa6lp8.gif

You have these two confused.

The first was a total cliche, the second was a great powerful moment. Also cliche, but much less cliche and much more emotionally engaging.

And this is coming from someone who liked the first character better than the second.

i don't have a problem with cliche when it's handled well. i thought both succeeded at what they tried to do. the turn at the end of
thane's with the prayer being for shepard was hokey, but the final lines between him and his son and thane being too sick to finish the prayer (and his son picking it up for him) was pretty great, i thought.

mordin's death type also happened in the movie, the core. at least, that's where my mind went. but i think it works because it fit with mordin as a character.

She was my official LI all the way until the end.
You don't really get much closure from her. You can tell that she's obsessed with her school now and even straight up tells you twice that she wants "no strings attached" sex because she just "wants to get laid". Shep is like "um, well, I love you too".

The ending of their story reminded me of two people going to college who fall madly in love. She's the art school chick with rage issues and he's the business major. The sex is pretty good. Then they graduate and have to spend a summer away from each other. They still write occasionally.

When they finally get together they realize they've changed. Business major is now executive vice president of marketing and working 6 days a week, 14 hours a day. Art chick is about to jump on a plane to fly to Bolivia where she opened an orphanage and protects it from radical guerillas.

They just moved apart.

That kind of made me sad. haha

I remember how excited I was when they first announced her. People on GAF thought I was nuts...especially when I said I wanted to make T-shirts that said "Joined a cult...kept the haircut". "Dude, are you fucking kidding me?" someone asked. hahaha

Edit: ha, found the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375478&highlight=joined+a+cult+kept+the+haircut&page=2

I broke my own rule of not watching YT for this, but was too curious. Found one fortunately with default Shep rather than a user abomination (only my custom abomination counts).. I'd say the parts meeting at
Grissom
were nice. The part where she says
"maybe you can apologize more later"
and her demeanor suggested more was there. A good amount of LI-specific stuff there over standard.

Did she say anything that seemed more specifically LI at the major spoiler, and if you have been there,
London long-distance goodbye
?

Add: and liking the character isn't just ME3 whim, always did. But I must admit thinking in cold calculation that since most will choose Tali or others for LI, the writers might not even carry her over at all to ME3. I wonder if others thinking the same might have left unexpressed a greater actual latent popularity.

bengraven

Did she say anything that seemed more specifically LI at the major spoiler, and if you have been there,
London long-distance goodbye
?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8BaPCwKKPw

Basically skip to the end. It's kind of eh. And yeah, rewatching that I stand by what I said. I think I had a more effective closure with Liara and she wasn't even my love interest (I had broke it off with her in the beginning of ME3). It kind of makes me lose respect for Shep actually...

.GqueB.

Banned
So what did I miss?

I purchased the from ashes dlc about three days ago and it wouldn't show up on my map. Went online and people were saying it would pop up after I did another story mission. Did that and it still didn't work. So I tried redownloading and there it was.

Only problem is that I feel like I'm nearing the end of the game. I avoided spoilers so I had no clue who who this new character was so I didn't care so much. Now I'm pissed I got him so Damn late. Feel like I missed alot by not having him around.

So did I miss much? To give you an idea of where I am: I'm around level 51 and just got finished being a complete bad ass in a mission involving a giant laser.

Zeliard

So what did I miss?

I purchased the from ashes dlc about three days ago and it wouldn't show up on my map. Went online and people were saying it would pop up after I did another story mission. Did that and it still didn't work. So I tried redownloading and there it was.

Only problem is that I feel like I'm nearing the end of the game. I avoided spoilers so I had no clue who who this new character was so I didn't care so much. Now I'm pissed I got him so Damn late. Feel like I missed alot by not having him around.

So did I miss much? To give you an idea of where I am: I'm around level 51 and just got finished being a complete bad ass in a mission involving a giant laser.

You missed a good amount of fun dialogue. :p He tends to interact with the crew as well, especially Liara.

If you haven't hit
Thessia
yet, make sure you take him there.

Macattk15

"Wow, you're totally kicking my ass left and right. But now it's cutscene time, so you just stand over there while I lay waste to everything."

Ugh.

You talking about the first encounter with
Kai Leng
in the temple on
Thessia
?

If so, then yeah I fucking agree and it pissed me off too.

Nearing the end of my Infiltrator Insanity run .... Infiltrator makes the game too easy :( I just have a sniper rifle and cloak ... and I dominate everything. I still die if I get surprised by something ... but jesus. Cloak, Headshot, Cover, Cloak, Headshot, Cover ..... etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8BaPCwKKPw

Basically skip to the end. It's kind of eh. And yeah, rewatching that I stand by what I said. I think I had a more effective closure with Liara and she wasn't even my love interest (I had broke it off with her in the beginning of ME3). It kind of makes me lose respect for Shep actually...

I see where you're coming from based on the last bit. Not ideal, though it could also be seen as appropriately in keeping with Jack's character to write her saying things that need reading beneath the layers despite Shep being more straightforward, "boy scout" as she deems him. Oh, and don't forget the
"no strings, but[my emphasis] if we get out of this alive..."
line you got at the bar. And yeah, Liara
has a good send off LI or not, unless that was a former LI thing (I broke it off too, for Tali, poor Liara lol)

Pretty much, yeah.

Well, damn.

I have trouble telling main quests from side quests in the galaxy select screen, and I guess I just happened to do a bunch of the main quests right away. I hate exiting out of that screen only to have to go into the journal separately and look where I need to go and try to remember which are which. I wish there was better integration of the two. Also, I don't fucking understand this scanning bullshit at all. Makes no sense to me. I haven't done any of it outside of one small quest.

Also, I can't seem to find any of these places that I need to go to to complete side quests. I wish the journal told you in which cluster they were so I don't need to waste time tracking stuff down. Call me lazy, but fuck it, I don't want to waste my time wandering around the galaxy.

Well, damn.

I have trouble telling main quests from side quests in the galaxy select screen, and I guess I just happened to do a bunch of the main quests right away. I hate exiting out of that screen only to have to go into the journal separately and look where I need to go and try to remember which are which. I wish there was better integration of the two. Also, I don't fucking understand this scanning bullshit at all. Makes no sense to me. I haven't done any of it outside of one small quest.

Also, I can't seem to find any of these places that I need to go to to complete side quests. I wish the journal told you in which cluster they were so I don't need to waste time tracking stuff down. Call me lazy, but fuck it, I don't want to waste my time wandering around the galaxy.

The main quest is labeled "Priority"

.GqueB.

Banned
You missed a good amount of fun dialogue. :p He tends to interact with the crew as well, especially Liara.

If you haven't hit
Thessia
yet, make sure you take him there.

ugggggggggggh. Fucking sucks. I already got a taste of it when he told Liara
he was surprised she could read.

I should just start the game over again.

Yep. I think I was 25 hours or so in before I got there.

Jeez, what have I been missing? I mean I got like 3 or so other sidequests, but that was it. And I kind of just kept happening upon the priority missions... guess I have to explore more and stop going straight through the story.

Top Bottom