• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

LosDaddie

Banned
I'm done with the MP, and tired of waiting for the ME1 face patch. So fuck it, I'm going to re-create my Shepard and finally play the SP.

Time to move on, and clear out the rest of my backlog after ME3

Lime

just listened to the ME3 soundtrack that I got with CE. such a letdown. Jack Wall's ME1 and ME2 scores were SO MUCH better. ME3 is basically a huge rehash of common (although good) themes from ME1 and ME2.
oh, and after that bombastic announcement that Clint M. will be scoring the game I was hyped (even though I was still sad that Jack Wall won't be doing the score), and now I see he only did two tracks.
dafuq?

anyone agrees? disagrees?

I personally thought Sam Hulick's tracks were what you would expect from a ME2 soundtrack. I especially like Mars. However, the bombastic style of the ME2 DLC soundtracks have continued, as their composers also did a lot of the ME3 tracks.

I think it's pretty safe to say that ME1's OST is still supreme king.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, I'm doing my Insanity Run now. I decided to go with a Femshep Infiltrator this time around.

Any advice or general tips on just getting through it? Should I plan on doing all the missions, or if I skip any will I be severely underleveled? Any particular bonus power I should rock?

So, I'm doing my Insanity Run now. I decided to go with a Femshep Infiltrator this time around.

Any advice or general tips on just getting through it? Should I plan on doing all the missions, or if I skip any will I be severely underleveled? Any particular bonus power I should rock?

Make sure to buy the auto fish feeder.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My take on the soundtrack is that both ME2 and ME3 feature tons of bombastic orchestral stuff, but the former is more forgettable. ME2's big, orchestral tracks are pretty bland and generic, in my opinion, whereas I find the compositions of ME3's much, much more interesting. ME3 also plays a bit more freely with synth. Nowhere near to the extent of ME1, but moreso than ME2.

In all ME2 only has a couple of tracks I go back and listen to. ME3 has much more.

Patryn

My take on the soundtrack is that both ME2 and ME3 feature tons of bombastic orchestral stuff, but the former is more forgettable. ME2's big, orchestral tracks are pretty bland and generic, in my opinion, whereas I find the compositions of ME3's much, much more interesting. ME3 also plays a bit more freely with synth. Nowhere near to the extent of ME1, but moreso than ME2.

In all ME2 only has a couple of tracks I go back and listen to. ME3 has much more.

ME3 adds about two new interesting songs.

Pretty much all the other well-done and memorable pieces are from ME1.

It's kind of sad how a series that started with such great music had it all slide into totally forgettable fluff.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Disagree. ME3's OST has plenty of memorable tracks, in my opinion. More than two.

AColdDay

just listened to the ME3 soundtrack that I got with CE. such a letdown. Jack Wall's ME1 and ME2 scores were SO MUCH better. ME3 is basically a huge rehash of common (although good) themes from ME1 and ME2.
oh, and after that bombastic announcement that Clint M. will be scoring the game I was hyped (even though I was still sad that Jack Wall won't be doing the score), and now I see he only did two tracks.
dafuq?

Absolutely agree. I emailed Jack Wall when I found out he wasn't doing the soundtrack to 3 just to let him know how great I thought his ME1 and ME2 contributions are. I listen to the ME1 soundtrack while I read sometimes, and it is WONDERFUL.

He seems like such a gracious person, and wrote me back. It totally made my day!

If you want to shoot him a brief email telling him how great his work is:
wall_snd@pacbell.net

I also got an email from Jennifer Hale once. I imagined FemShep reading aloud her response.

Moaradin

The soundtrack itself is lacking, but the actual music in ME3 is amazing. The soundtrack is missing a ton of good tracks. Look up Mordin on youtube.

AColdDay

Regardless of how it's justified, I personally feel it's extremely heavy-handed and inconsistent with the character I have personally played as.

Oh, I can completely sympathize with that. My renegade Shepard has eradicated entire species, so it was out of character for her to suddenly start caring about some random kid. I get that, but for anyone else who is not a gigantic renegade
ASSHOLE
, it would certainly fit the character.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah I was psyched about Clint Mansell doing the soundtrack, but the only thing that stuck from ME3's music so far is a remix of the main menu theme that featured much more prominently in ME1. It doesn't help that the default music setting is too low for my liking, I dialed the sfx down to 70% and now it's a much better experience. My wife played a bit more of ME2 yesterday and it struck me how the action scene music felt much more intense than in 3.

Agree for the most part but 'Suicide Mission' might be my favorite track of the entire series.

dankir

rouken

i just finished it, and it sure is crazy as they said but awesome too.
a little anticlimatic because there was no real end boss or something and my normandy crew did nothing in the end to help me in the citadel.

i think i never understood what they were talking about half the time. i just did what i set out to do in the first place but it was a tough choice. i feel like they don't have enough resolutions in the ending because they will release it in dlc.

Double D

I'm at about 35 hours and just finished the
Rannoch
stuff. I have been obsessively talking to the crew between everything and spending a lot of time on the citadel. Am I anywhere near the end?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
IN THE FUTURE THERE ARE NO NATURAL SLOPES OR GRADIENTS. ONLY WAIST HIGH RIDGES.

IN THE FUTURE VIDEO COMMUNICATION HAS EVOLVED SO FAR THAT IT'S GONE FULL CIRCLE BACK TO MONOCHROMATIC LAG AND STATIC.

IN THE FUTURE THERE IS ONLY ONE SET OF UNDERWEAR.

IN THE FUTURE THERE IS ONLY ONE SONG AND CLUBS PLAY IT 24 HOURS A DAY.

IN THE FUTURE THERE IS ONLY ONE FONT.

You think in the future they'd listen to different music in their clubs than electro house that sounds like it's from 2007 :p
at least it wasn't dubstep

Heck, it's not even consistent in the game. When all the Turians are dying around him on Palavin, he doesn't bat an eye. Suddenly, Thessia breaks his poor, little heart. All I'm asking for is some consistency with the character I've played as, and I'm not getting it.

I don't disagree with you in that it is inconsistent, but at the same time, in regards to your original complaint, I still think it makes perfect sense. Eventually you are just going to snap. If I recall correctly,
the majority of Shepard's angst happens because of the fact that Earth is now in trouble and that was never the case before.

You could maybe argue that
pavalen was hit early on in the game before Shepard had an opportunity to truly accept that Earth was in trouble. Thessia happens late in the game, after hearing several pieces of intel from Anderson about how Earth is hanging by a thread.
Is that the intention? Probably not, but it is how I justify it. In that sense it makes more sense to me.

rozay

Banned
The only memorable music I've heard in the game so far was during the Ex-Cerberus Scientists mission. It seemed strangely strong for a random side mission.

Timestamped to that music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-fDUAccuLw&t=18m20s
The funny thing is this song is from ME2

So all of the times when Shepard
could have seen his crew get turned into slushies, his team on Akuze get destroyed, all of his squad get killed, all of the refugees on Horizon, and on and on never bothered him, but the moment he sees some kid get into a ship that gets shot down suddenly leaves him with PTSD? It feels misplaced and poorly done for the character, since my Shep has been through a heck of a lot more. One could argue that it's because the reapers are really here and it's actually happening, but the collector threat was on the same level of stakes because it was "an impossible suicide mission that could never be done!"

Heck, it's not even consistent in the game. When all the Turians are dying around him on Palavin, he doesn't bat an eye. Suddenly, Thessia breaks his poor, little heart. All I'm asking for is some consistency with the character I've played as, and I'm not getting it.
I think everything related to the kid is bullshit, but I didn't really mind
how he/she feels after Thessia because he ended up letting the asari on the planet+the counselor down and lost the VI with no direction to go. The previous parts of the game Shepard has something to work towards such as Palaven, but without Traynor and/or Miranda there's no clue as to what to do next. It was similar to when the Council grounded the normandy in ME1 to me

rozay

Banned
yeah but it doesnt have any effect on the ending/trophy/achievement
beyond 4k
the significance of there only being 7k is that you're forced to play multiplayer to get the best ending unless you buy DLC or iPad apps or spend time with the datapad that requires you to own a smartphone.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
the significance of there only being 7k is that you're forced to play multiplayer to get the best ending unless you buy DLC or iPad apps or spend time with the datapad that requires you to own a smartphone.

You dont even need to do all of that if you end up choosing the
green or blue
options anyway, right?

MNC

dafuq?

Agreed completely. So much pieces of music (Multiplayer missions, menu's, and whatnot) That aren't even IN the soundtrack (I don't care the Galaxy Map is a rehash, I want it in my soundtrack!) and Clint Mansell only 2 pieces of music really hurt.

Thankfully I didn't pay extra for the Digital Deluxe edition.

Bisnic

Had those options with roughly 3.5k or less, but you cannot get that final scene, short as it may be, without 4k.

What i mean is that, this is only if you choose the
Destroy
option. Which mean even if you skip multiplayer and if you take one of the other two options, you'll get the most they can offer, even without 4k. And not everyone know that. And not everyone consider the
Destroy
option to be the best ending either, extra scene or not. :p

Massa

Will be interesting to see the reactions when the multiplayer servers for this are shut down and you're effectively locked out of some of the possible endings.

Disagree. ME3's OST has plenty of memorable tracks, in my opinion. More than two.

This person is correct, ME3 OST shit's on ME2's OST. Especially songs like
Catalyst
, I Was Lost Without You, I'm Sorry,
A Future For The Krogan
, and a bunch of others. I liked a few tracks from ME2, namely Garrus' theme and Mordins, but overall I think it wasn't particularly memorable at all. Christopher Lennertz addition to the OST with the Shadow Broker DLC was some of the best stuff ME had produced too. As They Enter is a fantastic track by him.

All I know is, whatever you think of the ending...the presentation of the
starchild
scene is pretty marvelous. The
"Catalyst"
song is mostly responsible for this.

rozay

Banned
What i mean is that, this is only if you choose the
Destroy
option. Which mean even if you skip multiplayer and if you take one of the other two options, you'll get the most they can offer, even without 4k. And not everyone know that. And not everyone consider the
Destroy
option to be the best ending either, extra scene or not. :p
I chose the ending you spoilered, so I cannot get "the most they can offer" without paying extra.

Bisnic

I chose the ending you spoilered, so I cannot get "the most they can offer" without paying extra.

I wouldnt consider playing a few multiplayer matches "paying extra", but whatever.

Plus, multiplayer is fun and addicting, so its really not an issue unless you're allergic to playing with other people.

Double D

The Multiplayer just raises the percentage thing, right? I've been doing this with the iPhone app and am almost at 75% for all of the systems (haven't touched the multiplayer). I've been obsessively doing all of the side missions/scanning/eavesdropping stuff so what does my percentage need to be at in order to get this 'extra scene' you all speak of? My green bar is currently full.

Patryn

The Multiplayer just raises the percentage thing, right? I've been doing this with the iPhone app and am almost at 75% for all of the systems (haven't touched the multiplayer). I've been obsessively doing all of the side missions/scanning/eavesdropping stuff so what does my percentage need to be at in order to get this 'extra scene' you all speak of? My green bar is currently full.

Get 5000 EMS. Percentage doesn't matter.

Also: The scene ain't worth it. Seriously, just go beat the game unless you're loving the MP.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
so I started playing multiplayer and I wonder how many environments are spoiled there? I mean if we take a percentage from the game (please, without spoilers).

I want to play this in SP so much but I'm waiting for the face import fix and the better ending.

so I started playing multiplayer and I wonder how many environments are spoiled there? I mean if we take a percentage from the game (please, without spoilers).

I want to play this in SP so much but I'm waiting for the face import fix and the better ending.

Nothing is spoiled. All the multiplayer maps are in the single player but are just side missions with no real story. You do the exact same thing as in multiplayer, fight waves of enemies. Its totally half-assed.

rozay

Banned

The only things that can be "spoiled" are the enemy types. All of the multiplayer maps are just N7 side missions in SP that literally have you play the multiplayer map (though only 2-3 waves at most) with Shepard.

Trey

The N7 missions are basically solo multiplayer (yeah) matches. I would say on the whole those missions would take 2 hours or so, which would be ~6-10 percent of an average playthrough from what I've seen reported on these forums.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
can I complete multiplayer missions and ignore these in SP then? My galaxy readiness will be increased anyway.

rozay

Banned
I wouldnt consider playing a few multiplayer matches "paying extra", but whatever.

Plus, multiplayer is fun and addicting, so its really not an issue unless you're allergic to playing with other people.
The other point I forgot to mention is once the online servers are down, that specific ending will be unachievable without a lot of DLC considering how little you really get from some parts of the game.

can I complete multiplayer missions and ignore these in SP then? My galaxy readiness will be increased anyway.
Some of the objectives in the missions are tied to fetch quests and they have money to salvage and gun mods/armor parts. The fetch-quest items can be purchased if you miss them when you play the N7 missions but I'm not sure if they'll expire on the galaxy map if you don't want to do them.

Top Bottom