• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The other point I forgot to mention is once the online servers are down, that specific ending will be unachievable without a lot of DLC considering how little you really get from some parts of the game.

wait, if I max out my galaxy readiness I'll get a non-shitty ending? I have CE btw if it helps.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
wait, if I max out my galaxy readiness I'll get a non-shitty ending? I have CE btw if it helps.

No.

The only thing that matters is your effective military strength. The green bar. Max out the green bar (which is possible to do without touching multiplayer or anything) and you will have access to all the ending options and the 'best' outcome (keeping vague here). However, if you have a higher EMS (I think 5000, maybe?), you can also see a small bonus post-credits sequence if you pick a specific ending. This number cannot be reached by playing only single player.

It's really not worth it, and outside of this tiny bonus you can get/see everything in a single solo playthrough. The green bar is all that matters.

subversus

ok... I sense the patch coming... after which nothing stops me from playing this game except the promise of the better ending. but this won't be soon and I want to play it NOW.

as I guess (BUT PLEASE DON'T SPOIL IT) in the end I'll get the formal trilogy ending i.e. "victory" but right after that something completely unrelated to the trilogy and Reapers starts happening and... a cliffhanger?

Please, just yes or no. If no, I'll wait... probably.

rozay

Banned
ok... I sense the patch coming... after which nothing stops me from playing this game except the promise of the better ending. but this won't be soon and I want to play it NOW.

as I guess (BUT PLEASE DON'T SPOIL IT) in the end I'll get the formal trilogy ending i.e. "victory" but right after that something completely unrelated to the trilogy and Reapers starts happening and... a cliffhanger?

dude just play the game, there's a less than 1% chance the ending will change from its current form at this point

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

No, not quite. To be as absolutely vague as possible, but spoilering just in case your sensitive:
for some the ending was confusing, and thus it is likely that BioWare's ending 'changes' will simply be additions to better explain what happens.

subversus

/sigh....

I think I'll wait. I'll try to wait at least.

I mean I really wanted THE ENDING and somehow I'm invested emotionally in these series. I really liked ME1-2 but if the ending is shit it will sour the whole experience.

may be I should even wait for the proper ending in DLC.

EatChildren

BioWare said we'll hear more about their plans in April. I suspect at their PAX East panel. PAX runs from the 6th to the 8th, so around then we should know what's up.

I, personally, do not expect much, and I don't expect what they end up doing will actually make people happy. And, at this point, we have no idea how long it will take them to implement whatever they're implementing, nor if it will be free or charged.

subversus

I heard some people even like the ending...

/trying to convince myself that it is not so bad.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
^ Yes some people do like the ending. It's only natural for some to like things.

I, personally, do not expect much, and I don't expect what they end up doing will actually make people happy. And, at this point, we have no idea how long it will take them to implement whatever they're implementing, nor if it will be free or charged.
Mass Effect 3: Universal Luminosity - $14.99

subversus

a choice to make:

1)play ME3 right after the patch, get frustrated in the end, stop buying Bioware games after that = time and money saved
2)play ME3 after all DLC is released, get the satisfying ending, buy more Bioware games, be frustrated in the future.

hmm....

ultron87

As someone who is close to the ending but hasn't gotten there yet I can at least assure you that the majority of the actual game is really great. So you'd probably at least enjoy most of the part where you actually play it.

subversus

As someone who is close to the ending but hasn't gotten there yet I can at least assure you that the majority of the actual game is really great. So you'd probably at least enjoy most of the part where you actually play it.

and that is why it will hurt more. Like everything is going great and then - A KICK RIGHT IN THE BALLS.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Anyone else here use both Origin and put their PC to "hibernate" when they're not using it? It seems like half time i turn my PC back on after that, ME3 wont even launch and i have to force Origin to shutdown through the task manager to restart it so i can even make it work again.

I know i know "lol Origin".

I heard some people even like the ending...

/trying to convince myself that it is not so bad.

It's a losing battle. I've tried... can't do it.

Expounding on it here has helped accept it and start the road to moving on and appreciating the rest of the game, which is fantastic, again.

Remember how awesome the
apocalyptic tension in the entire London mission and even some of the Citadel mission
was? It's amazing how quickly it changed from that to....

Drakken

How useful is it to buy the upgraded versions of the weapons? I ask because the few I've purchased didn't seem to move the stats bars much at all. Plus I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a weapon type just to find a new weapon that's better.

Right now I'm using the Vindicator (though I have five assault rifles) and an SMG. I like keeping my weight down (no penalty with my loadout) so I can quickly use abilities.

How useful is it to buy the upgraded versions of the weapons? I ask because the few I've purchased didn't seem to move the stats bars much at all. Plus I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a weapon type just to find a new weapon that's better.

There's really a lot of money around. I'd say upgrade a level after each mission or two you do. By the middle of the game you should have your best weapon you prefer and just upgrade that. Personally I rolled with Black Widow sniper (ridiculous damage + 3 shots), the Geth assault rifle (seems to be clearly the best... no recoil), and the Asari shotgun.

Either way it's not a huge deal. The mods really make a difference too and are transferable.

USIGSJ

Ok, DLC it is then. I don't want to ruin my favourite series.

Better wait for the DLC. I was in a similar situation several days ago, eventually paused single player in the mid of the campaign, started playing only MP and I could roll with that until DLC. Then although I knew of the fan rage, I went like, oh why not finish the single player, after a month I might not be that interested to continue playing and forget what was first half of the came all about. Can't be that bad, right.
Yes, it is.

Better wait for the DLC. I was in a similar situation several days ago, eventually paused single player in the mid of the campaign, started playing only MP and I could roll with that until DLC. Then although I knew of the fan rage, I went like, oh why not finish the single player, after a month I might not be that interested to continue playing, can't be that bad.
Yes, it can.

I don't know why, but i suspect your avatar is spoiler-y.

Anyone else here use both Origin and put their PC to "hibernate" when they're not using it? It seems like half time i turn my PC back on after that, ME3 wont even launch and i have to force Origin to shutdown through the task manager to restart it so i can even make it work again.

I know i know "lol Origin".

Nope, no problems with Origin. I did turn off the overlay because I heard it led to game choppiness, so maybe that is why?

bPod

Finished the game a few nights ago; amazing game but what a shitty ending - let it a joke!

But I thought this was a great quote...

"I'm Garrus Vakarian and this is my favorite spot on the citadel"

What a boss!

Flunkie

Banned
Just got to a part that I really regret the decision made/didn't understand the magnitude of my actions.

Where Legion uploaded the improvements. I told him to do it, thinking I could get the two sides to be peaceful afterwards, but the Geth ended up eradicating the Quarians and Tali committed suicide. Hate this. I rewrote the heretics, am I screwed? I can redo the mission from the "load" screen if I can change the outcome.

Just got to a part that I really regret the decision made/didn't understand the magnitude of my actions.

Where Legion uploaded the improvements. I told him to do it, thinking I could get the two sides to be peaceful afterwards, but the Geth ended up eradicating the Quarians and Tali committed suicide. Hate this. I rewrote the heretics, am I screwed? I can redo the mission from the "load" screen if I can change the outcome.

Did you not have the ability to pick a 3rd path, via Paragon/Renegade choices on the left side of the wheel? As far as I know that's the only way to avoid a cataclysm for one of the sides.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Just started this last night.

The only DLC I got is From Ashes... what sort of things I can expect from this one?

Anyways... my impressions and questions:

- Maybe it's just me that started playing on 2 A.M. directly after finishing the Arrival in Mass Effect 2... but the opening scene of Reaper invasion failed to elicit an excited response from me...

- Is there anyway to re-select skill selection down the line? I don't like how the game pre-select some of the skills already when using imports from Mass Effect 2. Why can't they just give me the skill points for me to mess around with?

- Everyone's faces are so...... different. Good God my Shepard from Mass Effect 2 seemed like a good-looking well-built soldier but in here he suddenly transformed into a testosterone-filled hulk monstrosity......... :\ :\ :\ :\ :\ :\ :\

- WHAT THE HELL WITH THE RUNNING ANIMATION FOR CRYING OUT LOUD THIS IS A HIGH-PROFILE HIGH-BUDGET RELEASE BUT WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THE RUNNING ANIMATION HOW COME THE RUNNING ANIMATION LOOK SO STUPID my God.

- For all of you Soldier users out there: which is more important: quicker power reactivation or MORRRREEE WEAPOOONSSS...? Which are the "must have" skills? In general, when playing in the highest difficulty, which is more important between offensiveness or survivability?

- Does the game still lock conversation choices based on Paragon/Renegade values or not...?

Sai

I don't recall having that option, no. Just yes or no to "do it."
There are a number of things you have to do in both ME2 and ME3 to get it.
Did you resolve Tali and Legion's despute, and retain both of their Loyalty in ME2? Did you save Admiral Koris before taking on the Reaper Base?

I actually just went through that part of the game again earlier today. This and the
Tuchunka climax
are such feel good moments.

rozay

Banned
There are a number of things you have to do in both ME2 and ME3 to get it.
Did you resolve Tali and Legion's despute, and retain both of their Loyalty in ME2? Did you save Admiral Koris before taking on the Reaper Base?
Also doing the
fighter squadrons mission will get you another point. You need 5 total to achieve peace between the quarians and geth, and you can get a total of 2 in ME3 from that decision and also from rescuing Admiral Koris instead of his men. The decisions from ME2 Sai mentioned are the others you need to get 5 or above.

- Is there anyway to re-select skill selection down the line? I don't like how the game pre-select some of the skills already when using imports from Mass Effect 2. Why can't they just give me the skill points for me to mess around with?

- For all of you Soldier users out there: which is more important: quicker power reactivation or MORRRREEE WEAPOOONSSS...? Which are the "must have" skills? In general, when playing in the highest difficulty, which is more important between offensiveness or survivability?

- Does the game still lock conversation choices based on Paragon/Renegade values or not...?
You can respec in the medbay. I think the option unlocks pretty early.

For soldiers on higher difficulty, you want to be in adrenaline rush constantly to do more damage and take less damage. There is another upgrade to increase weight capacity, I usually carried at most four weapons, or otherwise two with the Assault rifle and shotgun. Survivability isn't an issue on insanity because even with upgrade, you still have the shields and health of a tissue paper.

conversations...I'm not sure about. I just think you need a high reputation bar, it doesn't matter where you lean.

Sai

conversations...I'm not sure about. I just think you need a high reputation bar, it doesn't matter where you lean.
Thought that was curious, I was being given Renegade options up 'til the end, and I was almost entirely Paragon. Figured with the way the bar looked, it would be a more accurate visual representation of how ME2 handled the Morality stuff.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hmm, the Wiki has this to say about skill point transfer:

-----------------------------------------

Reset Powers with Transfer Edit

As mentioned above, if the user imports a ME2 character into ME3 and chooses the same class that he or she had in ME2, the character will retain a close approximation of the abilities / powers from ME2; most ability points will already have been spent on certain class powers. If he/she chooses a different class, the ability points will all be reset and ready to spend in ME3.

If the user wants to play the same class but start the game fresh with all ability points ready to spend, he/she could use this workaround: In ME2, reset the skill points for the character using the regular method in the Normandy Tech Lab. Refrain from spending any points. Save the game, and then use that savefile when importing to ME3. Since no points were spent in ME2, they will all be available to spend in ME3.

Hmmm, I'll probably just do that tonight since I'm only just approximately one hour in.

rozay

Banned
Hmm, the Wiki has this to say about skill point transfer:

Reset Powers with Transfer Edit

As mentioned above, if the user imports a ME2 character into ME3 and chooses the same class that he or she had in ME2, the character will retain a close approximation of the abilities / powers from ME2; most ability points will already have been spent on certain class powers. If he/she chooses a different class, the ability points will all be reset and ready to spend in ME3.

If the user wants to play the same class but start the game fresh with all ability points ready to spend, he/she could use this workaround: In ME2, reset the skill points for the character using the regular method in the Normandy Tech Lab. Refrain from spending any points. Save the game, and then use that savefile when importing to ME3. Since no points were spent in ME2, they will all be available to spend in ME3.

Hmmm, I'll probably just do that tonight since I'm only just approximately one hour in.
You get to respec after the second mission for free in the Med Bay, might as well just wait instead of having to go through the intro again!

Flunkie

Banned
To the people who helped me above, thanks. I forgot to do a mission, so I went back and did it, and I'm retrying the
Reaper mission
now. Glad I went back for the
Fighter squadron
mission as it was pretty cool.

malfcn

Nice.

Found a glitch that insta-kills you on the Palaven mission. Walk over to a part of a path and you die.

What the fuck? I kill a husk now, and I die?

subversus

I have read in the other thread that conversations were simplified somehow comparing to ME1-2.

is it true?

Coxswain

There's rarely a neutral option, and dialogue choices often lead to a back and forth between Shepard and his/her conversation partner where they each have a few lines before the next dialogue choice comes up.

subversus

There's rarely a neutral option, and dialogue choices often lead to a back and forth between Shepard and his/her conversation partner where they each have a few lines before the next dialogue choice comes up.

frankly speaking I think that a neutral option doesn't belong to ME anyway. A neutral option is good for games where it plays some role in gameplay systems like a faction reputation or may be a party reputation and there are benefits from that.

anyway it's my last ME game so I don't care that much.

spekkeh

Banned
Waaaaay less wheeling around in this one. Everyone appears to have less to say.
Hrm, yes and no, there's obviously less need for backstory, but conversely the in-between mission chatter with your crew seems greatly expanded, where they have something new to say every time you meet them (plus on the citadel). However, there seem to be less relevant choices to be made in intercharacter relationships compared with ME2. The decisions you make in ME3 are greater, narratively speaking, but lead to less immediate payoff, if any. I think the Mass Effect series really shines in its character relations, as they seem more meaningful (because of the immediate feedback) and that's why until now I prefer ME2 a bit more.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Waaaaay less wheeling around in this one. Everyone appears to have less to say.

Considering everyone on the Normandy has something new to say after literally EVERY missions compared to ME2 where they would repeat the same shit after 3 missions, it feels like there is just as much dialogues as before, if not more.

But yeah, you see the "dialogue wheel" less often.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just started this after finishing my ME2 run. I read somewhere that after some calculation, it's actually not possible to get the best ending through single player alone and that some amount of MP is needed as there aren't enough war assets to collect through single player alone...is that true?

Top Bottom