• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Arjen

Just started this after finishing my ME2 run. I read somewhere that after some calculation, it's actually not possible to get the best ending through single player alone and that some amount of MP is needed as there aren't enough war assets to collect through single player alone...is that true?

Yes, sort of, i don't want to spoil anything, but i wouldn't worry about it.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I am about to replay the whole saga again and I was wondering if there was any way to make the games save to the cloud so I can play the campaign on any computer? Maybe some sort of the Dropbox shenanigans?

Lime

Just started this after finishing my ME2 run. I read somewhere that after some calculation, it's actually not possible to get the best ending through single player alone and that some amount of MP is needed as there aren't enough war assets to collect through single player alone...is that true?

Yes. But the length of the "best" ending is
only 2 seconds
, so I would say you shouldn't care about galactic readiness.

Patryn

There is no best ending. SERIOUSLY.

There is an extra scene that comes if you get a high enough EMS (possibly as high as 5000 depending on choices leading to the end) that cannot be achieved on a first run without MP.

Divvy

Don't play the multiplayer for that ending bit. Play it because the multiplayer is actually pretty fun.

Does anyone know the plot id's to make Tali not an exile, and to fix the other plot id's so that I can get peace between the Geth and Quarians? I don't want to do the plot id's after the fact, I want to see the cutscenes!

So I ended up re doing a mission because I was unhappy with the outcome
Tali died

Did anyone else fall into this trap as well?

See above.

Did you have a chance to prevent this, via Blue/Red conversation choices at the climactic moment? If you did not, replaying that mission alone will not help. You will have to do other missions (potentially even some in ME2) in order to unlock those conversation choices.

EDIT: I mean, you can also replay the mission and choose the opposite ensuring that the above does not happen -- but then another bad thing will happen instead.

rhino4evr

See above.

Did you have a chance to prevent this, via Blue/Red conversation choices at the climactic moment? If you did not, replaying that mission alone will not help. You will have to do other missions (potentially even some in ME2) in order to unlock those conversation choices.

EDIT: I mean, you can also replay the mission and choose the opposite ensuring that the above does not happen -- but then another bad thing will happen instead.

I'm actually playing completely fresh on ps3 because my Xbox died. It really sucks because most of the characters from ME2 are dead, and I saved everyone in my mass effect 2 save. Which has definitely taken away some of the emotional pay off in the the third game. My friend is playing it with his original save and we are comparing notes. Kind crazy how different the game is when you import a character.

I ended up picking the other option, there was no reputation choices. I think it was a better choice overall

GSR

Yeah, I believe you have to import an ME2 save to get the reputation options there. Otherwise you have to choose.

Personally I was ready to
choose the Geth, Tali or no; the Quarians want to throw themselves away, that's their damn perogative.

I'm actually playing completely fresh on ps3 because my Xbox died. It really sucks because most of the characters from ME2 are dead, and I saved everyone in my mass effect 2 save. Which has definitely taken away some of the emotional pay off in the the third game. My friend is playing it with his original save and we are comparing notes. Kind crazy how different the game is when you import a character.

I ended up picking the other option, there was no reputation choices. I think it was a better choice overall

Ah. That is unfortunate. But at least BioWare didn't have to worry about all that branching for the not-totally-positive outcomes for nothing -- someone will actually get to see them.

rhino4evr

Yeah, I believe you have to import an ME2 save to get the reputation options there. Otherwise you have to choose.

Personally I was ready to
choose the Geth, Tali or no; the Quarians want to throw themselves away, that's their damn perogative.

Maybe but i was more upset to loose a playable character..especially one as good as that character...it would be one thing if there was a replacement by choosing the other side, but that character died too. :(

rhino4evr

I've stayed away from this board in fear of spoilers...but I just want to say I'm truly enjoying the game. I think it's the best in the series so far. The stakes seem much higher and your choices feel more important. I actually like that are less dialogue options and more dramatic moments. I can see why some people would be disappointed, because it's really not a RPG anymore. However I think the combat has approved enough to make it ok. It's a big improvement over the combat in ME2

I've stayed away from this board in fear of spoilers...but I just want to say I'm truly enjoying the game. I think it's the best in the series so far. The stakes seem much higher and your choices feel more important. I actually like that are less dialogue options and more dramatic moments. I can see why some people would be disappointed, because it's really not a RPG anymore. However I think the combat has approved enough to make it ok. It's a big improvement over the combat in ME2
Ah such innocence. Enjoy the ride while you can.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

There is an extra scene that comes if you get a high enough EMS (possibly as high as 5000 depending on choices leading to the end) that cannot be achieved on a first run without MP.

Meaning it is achievable on new game+...? Because I am not going to play the MP.

Also, can I really re-spec Shepard and all of the squadmates for free as much as I want? :eek:

Also, maybe this is just an effect of importing level 30 characters with all the skill points already available, but is Liara supposed to be that powerful? I just finished the first mission--Mars--last night and I was very surprised of how powerful she is... I mean, her cooldown is practically non-existent as she can throw another Singularity when the first Singularity has not even expired yet! My Soldier Shepard barely shot his weapon last night with her throwing Singularity like nobody's business and Kaidan throwing Reave left and right. I was just... wow.

Ey ey ey, one more question guys: so the sign that the game recognizes my From Ashes DLC is the Priority Mission: Eden Prime being enabled after I first visited Citadel, correct?

I haven't played anymore since last time, but I forget to bring this up every time I play...

Who thought putting the white drop shadow behind the paragon and renegade dialogue was a good idea?
It looks heinous, and it makes the options too difficult to read. Was the idea to get you to mouse/roll over the choice to see what it said? Was it to give it a sense of "these are the choices you wish you could make! look how shiny!"?

It looks terrible!

Dany

Banned
I haven't played anymore since last time, but I forget to bring this up every time I play...

Who thought putting the white drop shadow behind the paragon and renegade dialogue was a good idea?
It looks heinous, and it makes the options too difficult to read. Was the idea to get you to mouse/roll over the choice to see what it said? Was it to give it a sense of "these are the choices you wish you could make! look how shiny!"?

It looks terrible!

I don't even look at them, I always go upper right or upper left.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So would this be appropriate here?

2012-03-25-229.png

Tsukumo

Just finished the game.
Let me open with: multiplayer is the best thing about this game.

Things I liked
-Dialogues. Interesting content and actually fun jokes. I dare say, even better than the ones in the first Mass Effect.
The Blasto preview got me hard.
-Psichological characterization: don't know who wrote characters interactions but they were incredible. Not only they made each character interesting and full of believable reactions, they also manage to retcon attitudes who felt out of character in the previous games. Contrary to lots of Mass Effect believers here on Gaf, I never liked Garrus to the point of worship,
yet the bromance on the bridge was the most captivating moment in the entire game
-Combat. Just incredible. Going through three weeks of non-stop multiplayer made me so used to not open power wheels and weapon wheels I ended up fighting in real time as much as I could. When people finger this game to have wonky/clunky combat I really can't figure out why.
-Bgm. I will take my time listening to the soundtrack. Nice job...you two musicians with the names I can't spell, remember or figure out how to read...
-Javik. People who haven't bought this DLC owe to themselves to get it. Interesting character, cool lines, and very enlightening, unique take on the Mass Effect universe from his perspective.

Thing I disliked
-The ending (surprise, surprise).
Everything was quite captivating up until the ending sequence, the one with the three choices. The walk up to the control screen was very creepy and very well executed. But the tell me another story grandpa was too much to take. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't for grandpa, my teammates who teleported on the Normandy God knows how, and discovering all endings were basically identical made me flap my verdict on this game almost completely. WTF Bioware. WTF
-Kaidan voice acting. I like this guy's tone of voice a lot, but his tired delivery became really irritating along the way.
-Anderson voice acting. Again, I like the tone of voice but the delivery felt really uninvolved.

Overall I'm very disappointed. Angry.
Without the ending this game would have been my Goty, easily.
But the way the conclusion was handled is really giving me a hard time to even plan a second run...what was that joke on Futurama: "once you've seen it, you can't unseen it"?
Thank God for multiplayer.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Overall I'm very disappointed. Angry.
Without the ending this game would have been my Goty, easily.
But the way the conclusion was handled is really giving me a hard time to even plan a second run...what was that joke on Futurama: "once you've seen it, you can't unseen it"?
Thank God for multiplayer.

Yeah, i started a 2nd run to see the paragon dialogues this time and i actually would rather play multiplayer most of the times! Still curious to see the differences, but i'll probably quit once the
Illusive Man is dead on the Citadel
since everything else after that is always the same thing, no matter how you build up your Shepard.

LosDaddie

Banned
Finally started my SP run last night (on X360). And yup, the ME1 face-import got me. But in the end, I recreated my male Shepard pretty easily...and I think he looks a little more like me anyway. So, eh, the bug was annoying but not a big deal.

I only got to the first mission last night, though. I did by the Ashes DLC, too. In fact...I'll probably buy most of the SP DLC...as long as I don't totally hate the ending.

You should try the MP anyway, especially if you like co-op gaming. IT's really fun.

Expand on this for me, please.
I played 30hrs+ of the MP before even starting the SP last night. Got the readiness up to 100% & all. And Yeah, I know the galatic readiness goes down each day. So...should I be playing a round of MP each time before I resume my campaign?

Bisnic

I played 30hrs+ of the MP before even starting the SP last night. Got the readiness up to 100% & all. And Yeah, I know the galatic readiness goes down each day. So...should I be playing a round of MP each time before I resume my campaign?

Nah. Just do a few multiplayer matches when you're at the last mission(you'll know when its the one). If you did every single sidequests before that, you probably only need a few % above 50 to get to above 5000 EMS.

And it only affect ONE of the ending, slightly. And the ending you get is a choice you have right at the end, all you did before in the game will not affect the ending. I wouldnt worry too much about it, unless you really really want that extra scene with a specific ending.

Arjen

Finally started my SP run last night (on X360). And yup, the ME1 face-import got me. But in the end, I recreated my male Shepard pretty easily...and I think he looks a little more like me anyway. So, eh, the bug was annoying but not a big deal.

I only got to the first mission last night, though. I did by the Ashes DLC, too. In fact...I'll probably buy most of the SP DLC...as long as I don't totally hate the ending.

You should try the MP anyway, especially if you like co-op gaming. IT's really fun.

Get your EMS around 5000 before the point of nor return.
And it can't be stated enough, don't worry about it to much.

Bazza

I would, i think you get a 5% XP bonus in single player for 100% readiness, although i may have misread the popup and the bonus could be for MP.

Patryn

Meaning it is achievable on new game+...? Because I am not going to play the MP.

Also, can I really re-spec Shepard and all of the squadmates for free as much as I want? :eek:

Also, maybe this is just an effect of importing level 30 characters with all the skill points already available, but is Liara supposed to be that powerful? I just finished the first mission--Mars--last night and I was very surprised of how powerful she is... I mean, her cooldown is practically non-existent as she can throw another Singularity when the first Singularity has not even expired yet! My Soldier Shepard barely shot his weapon last night with her throwing Singularity like nobody's business and Kaidan throwing Reave left and right. I was just... wow.

Ey ey ey, one more question guys: so the sign that the game recognizes my From Ashes DLC is the Priority Mission: Eden Prime being enabled after I first visited Citadel, correct?

I believe you can import a Shepard that has completed the game in NG+ to the Galaxy at War to give you a massive amount of assets. I may be mistaken.

LosDaddie

Banned
Nah. Just do a few multiplayer matches when you're at the last mission(you'll know when its the one). If you did every single sidequests before that, you probably only need a few % above 50 to get to above 5000 EMS.

And it only affect ONE of the ending, slightly. And the ending you get is a choice you have right at the end, all you did before in the game will not affect the ending. I wouldnt worry too much about it, unless you really really want that extra scene with a specific ending.

Get your EMS around 5000 before the point of nor return.
And it can't be stated enough, don't worry about it to much.

I would, i think you get a 5% XP bonus in single player for 100% readiness, although i may have misread the popup and the bonus could be for MP.

Ok, thanks. I'll make sure to play a few round of MP before I finish the game. I think my galatic readiness was down to 92% last night.

Another Question: I promoted my level 20 Human Engineer from MP, but I didn't see an option to use him when I started a new game. NOt that it mattered much since I was importing my ME2 vanguard, but how does the promoting a level 20 character work for the campaign? I'll probably use the Engineer for my Renegade playthrough next

Arjen

Ok, thanks. I'll make sure to play a few round of MP before I finish the game. I think my galatic readiness was down to 92% last night.

Another Question: I promoted my level 20 Human Engineer from MP, but I didn't see an option to use him when I started a new game. NOt that it mattered much since I was importing my ME2 vanguard, but how does the promoting a level 20 character work for the campaign? I'll probably use the Engineer for my Renegade playthrough next

Promoted characters from Mp show up as War assests in single player, you can't actually play them.

There are also bad endings, but you need particularly low effective military strength to get them.

EMS = 1750 or below = worst endings
EMS = 1900 or below = medium endings
EMS = 2650 or higher = normal endings
EMS = 2800 or higher = extra normal ending option
EMS = 5000 or higher = tiny extra scene for one of the normal endings

TheContact

I'm about 3 hours in, mostly just messing around and doing side-quests and taking my time, playing MP a lot and whatnot. I'm reading a lot about the ending controversy, and was wondering if someone could, spoiler-free, explain why people were disappointed in the ending. If that's not possible then I'll just wait until I beat it then read the comments. But what's this about BioWare releasing DLC to change the ending?

I'm about 3 hours in, mostly just messing around and doing side-quests and taking my time, playing MP a lot and whatnot. I'm reading a lot about the ending controversy, and was wondering if someone could, spoiler-free, explain why people were disappointed in the ending. If that's not possible then I'll just wait until I beat it then read the comments. But what's this about BioWare releasing DLC to change the ending?

I'll spoiler this just in case, but I won't say anything about the content of the endings:
The multiple endings are largely the same aside from a few tiny differences, and they entirely depend on one final choice rather than a culmination of all of your choices. Parts of it don't make much sense, and there is little in terms of closure. The end event happens and then the credits rise; you don't get to see the outcome of your decision, or how your surviving characters are effected. Keep in mind a lot of the controversy was overblown, in my opinion. I found it deeply unsatisfying, but I expected worse. Also keep in mind that all of the complaints literally only apply to the final 5 minutes of the game. The final mission up until that point is epic, and to the scale and grandeur that I wanted and expected.

Divvy

Generally, for a story to be interesting, the protagonist has to have some control or influence over their own destiny and the conflict presented in the plot. A protagonist that is just along for the ride and doesn't do anything or have any say makes for a terrible story. Doubly so for Mass Effect because the series has consistently emphasized the level of control the protagonist and hence the player has. What Bioware did was completely remove any control of the outcome of the story at the very climax of whole bloody thing. Despite being presented with the illusion of choice, the conflict resolution is essentially taken out of your hands.

LosDaddie

Banned
I'll spoiler this just in case, but I won't say anything about the content of the endings:
The multiple endings are largely the same aside from a few tiny differences, and they entirely depend on one final choice rather than a culmination of all of your choices. Parts of it don't make much sense, and there is little in terms of closure. The end event happens and then the credits rise; you don't get to see the outcome of your decision, or how your surviving characters are effected. Keep in mind a lot of the controversy was overblown, in my opinion. I found it deeply unsatisfying, but I expected worse. Also keep in mind that all of the complaints literally only apply to the final 5 minutes of the game. The final mission up until that point is epic, and to the scale and grandeur that I wanted and expected.

Thanks for that. My hype has been all but destroyed for the ending. So even if it's just a bit entertaining, I'll be (somewhat) satisfied.

Minamu

Fuck, so I can't start a new campaign with a level 20 engineer? :/

damn
Huh, that would've been cool for real :D Even if you didn't play as the character itself, getting a lvl 20 Shepard of a different class like that would've been sweet. How hard could that be?

nel e nel

The multiple endings are largely the same aside from a few tiny differences, and they entirely depend on one final choice rather than a culmination of all of your choices.

Not entirely accurate. Example: say Jack dies at the end of ME2, she is not in ME3, and thus not recruitable, thus lower EMS for the final battle, which can affect which suite of endings you get.

Granted, the differences in the suite of endings aren't that great, but there is impact nonetheless.

Bisnic

Not entirely accurate. Example: say Jack dies at the end of ME2, she is not in ME3, and thus not recruitable, thus lower EMS for the final battle, which can affect which suite of endings you get.

Granted, the differences in the suite of endings aren't that great, but there is impact nonetheless.

Arent ME2 characters worth like 25 war assets? It's nothing big. :p

nel e nel

Arent ME2 characters worth like 25 war assets? It's nothing big. :p

Calling Diana Allers!

True, and I wasn't trying to imply otherwise. /nitpick

I forgot though, can they get updates like the fleets to up their worth? Or are they a 1 time only?

I just started a brand new run on ME1 where I'm purposefully making decisions to handicap myself in ME3 as much as possible and see how that pans out. Anxiously looking forward to my Everyone Dies ME2 ending.

spekkeh

Banned
Just found out I can't do two (probably more one and a halff) missions because I did things in the wrong order. Pretty annoyed by that, they're still in my journal being yellow and taunting me..

I'm now at
Horizon
. That's the point of no return right? I'm kind of sad it's ending, but there doesn't seem much else to do.

Top Bottom