• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I got bored yesterday and bought and read all Mass Effect comics. They are not that bad if you are a fan (and I am but I wasn't able to read the books) so I got some background on Illusive Man.

I haven't played the game yet and I don't know how it ends but hearing the outcry I can guess that since
Illusive Man has some Reaper's tech inside him he managed to install some shit inside Shepard while they were reconstructing him/her
. I'm looking forward to see if I was right. Hurry up with this patch, Bioware.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I got bored yesterday and bought and read all Mass Effect comics. They are not that bad if you are a fan (and I am but I wasn't able to read the books) so I got some background on Illusive Man.

I haven't played the game yet and I don't know how it ends but hearing the outcry I can guess that since
Illusive Man has some Reaper's tech inside him he managed to install some shit inside Shepard while they were reconstructing him/her

Eh. You wish it was that simple.

Don't worry about guessing the ending. Best thing you can do is just play through the game, and let the ending happen.

Hopefully that patch happens soon, for your sake. I was worried about avoiding spoilers, but I guess everyone was too busy yelling at bioware to bother spoiling content elsewhere.

subversus

can't wait for you to post about the ending in the spoiler OT

I may hold up until they release some sort of fix. I'm actually scaried now about how bad it is. I may not be ready enough and punch my monitor accidentally.

Nori Chan

Ugh I wish the game gave you more warning about timed missions. I missed the Grissom academy one by doing PRIORITY missions first. Wtf haha. Oh well.

Good thing I read this before I did anything else lol

I just finished doing the Primarch mission and I decided to go to the Citadel to visit my favorite character from 2 and there are soooooooooooooooooooo many side quests. I'm loving this game so far. YOU...BIG...STUPID...JELLYFISH

Dreaver

About 30 hours in, I just completed the
Geth vessel mission with Legion/Tali
and the game keeps getting better and better. I am enjoying every minute.

The missions are very good so far, the
death of Thane, Rachni mission, Tuchanka bomb mission and Geth Vessel mission
were some mind-blowing parts.

I'm just loving the whole sci-fi atmosphere. I love that people on your ship have new conversation options after every (major) mission, small things like these make the game really good.

My annoyances in the beginning (no holstering, no detailed mission log) aren't a problem anymore, I don't mind it anymore.

Absolutely the best Mass Effect so far.

E: I love the consequences from earlier decisions. They really add a nice touch to the game which make it one big epic adventure.

I was rather underwhelmed with a lot of the game up until that point. Easily my favorite chunk of the game, by far. It hit nearly every note that I would have wanted from an ME game.

Grisby

Going through a second time with my renegade Shep. Damn, that Liara moment
where you're in your cabin talking about the memory box thingy
is still really well done.

Love this game.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Good thing I read this before I did anything else lol

I just finished doing the Primarch mission and I decided to go to the Citadel to visit my favorite character from 2 and there are soooooooooooooooooooo many side quests. I'm loving this game so far. YOU...BIG...STUPID...JELLYFISH

Glad I could warn someone. :p Apparently it affects a Cerberus related mission later on. Never liked the character it affects anyways. LOL Bah-humbug.

You get random sidequests just eavesdropping on people. Its kind of overwhelming. At least it was for me. So much so that I was like fuck it and just started doing the priority missions instead of being everyone's item fetching bitch LOL.

the rocket launcher in the room next to the first missle battery .
also aim at brutes's exposed body section when u facing thier back,does a good amount damage.
still cant figure out a way to kill banshee.

They are unkillable!

especially on harder levels. At least, if they are alone, most of their attacks are easy to avoid (including the big energy ball). The problem is when they crowd you while there are marauders around.

You get random sidequests just eavesdropping on people
This really made shepard look like a creep.

Playing as an infiltrator on insanity (high Sniper rifle damage focused). Any advice on the optional extra (squad) skill? And squad mates? Thanks!

You didnt play the DLC? Unfortunate, as it is seemingly essential to the games entire playthrough. All of the best conversations/interactions on the Normandy, and much of the lore and background to the ending is given through the DLC.

Crazy I know, but true none the less.

So... question. Without spoiling it, should I take that DLC character on all my missions? Because currently I'm WRECKING shit with James and Liara and don't see much of a point in switching out unless I'm missing some cool shit.

RedAssedApe

Banned
This really made shepard look like a creep.

How appropriate right?

tumblr_lv5aabZKin1qdn2zy.jpg

DTKT

So... question. Without spoiling it, should I take that DLC character on all my missions? Because currently I'm WRECKING shit with James and Liara and don't see much of a point in switching out unless I'm missing some cool shit.

There a few missions where he's absolutely required. He interacts a lot with Liara for example.

Small spoiler about a city you visit:
When you get to Thessia, you absolutely needs to bring him along.

Vega should have been DLC. He should have been part the game.

That character has a power that really helps on insanity.

The missions are very good so far, the
death of Thane, Rachni mission, Tuchanka bomb mission and Geth Vessel mission
were some mind-blowing parts.

I'm just loving the whole sci-fi atmosphere. I love that people on your ship have new conversation options after every (major) mission, small things like these make the game really good.

My annoyances in the beginning (no holstering, no detailed mission log) aren't a problem anymore, I don't mind it anymore.

Absolutely the best Mass Effect so far.

E: I love the consequences from earlier decisions. They really add a nice touch to the game which make it one big epic adventure.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the game...

Seriously, I hope you do.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So on Insanity, if I am playing Soldier, any recommendations on which squad members and bonus powers and weapon loadout to take? On normal I focus on damage and damage and damage and my ammo powers are exclusively reserved to Shepard only. I take Reave as my bonus powers.

Playing on normal I always bring those that I like the most in missions, but in Insanity I am afraid I need to bring those that are most effective, not the one that I like the most (damn it Tali v___v)

I brought Tali and Javik on the last mission, but I can't imagine how the hell am I going to survive with a combination of those two with Banshees screaming around and four to five Brutes running around in Insanity. I mean holy crap!

My file got Kaidan instead of Ashley.

subversus

Aria. The comic about TIM was not that bad. But the one with Liara was probably the best - especially since it was most relevant to the game.

and it had liara

yeah, the one with Aria was not good, but at least it was drawn well. I mean I expected more from her escape. And well, more from everything but it sets ground for ME3 nice in a sense that I actually want to know what is next.

Replicant

I took Javik and Vega to the last mission due to their high HP and their possessions of bombs, which whittle down Brutes' health quickly. I was an Infiltrator on my Insanity run though so I have no idea what to rec for soldier. Defense drone helps immensely though. It's like having 4th member fighting with you.

rozay

Banned
yeah, the one with Aria was not good, but at least it was drawn well. I mean I expected more from her escape. And well, more from everything but it sets ground for ME3 nice in a sense that I actually want to know what is next.
aria's missions will be DLC, they're not in the game. if you ask her about retaking omega she gives you a response similar to how liara would respond if you asked her about finding the shadow broker in ME2 before the DLC came out.

subversus

aria's missions will be DLC, they're not in the game.

fuck this.

seriously Bioware, what a ripoff.

I usually don't give a shit about anti-consumer's practices, just give me a damn game, but what they promise and what they deliver doesn't correlate. It wasn't the case 2-3 years ago.

rozay

Banned
fuck this.

seriously Bioware, what a ripoff.

I usually don't give a shit about anti-consumer's practices, just give me a damn game, but what they promise and what they deliver doesn't correlate. It wasn't the case 2-3 years ago.
It's likely they didn't have time to finish the missions, so they're just releasing them as DLC later. Haven't seen anyone datamining the disc mention assets or dialogue related to it.

subversus

It's likely they didn't have time to finish the missions, so they're just releasing them as DLC later. Haven't seen anyone datamining the disc mention assets or dialogue related to it.

it's most likely the case. They have to finish the game in 2 years, EA won't let them develop for a longer time. And by EA I mean EA. While the general progression of Bioware towards broadening their audience is their own direction, all these quality issues + shorter dev cycles are EA's influence. The Doctors may try to dumb down their games but they have pride in what they do and it seems that they always tried to make the best game possible even though it may appeal to a larger number of people. I don't have much problems with this direction as I have with humongous bugs like face import error and blatantly undercooked content like DAII. It's either quality isn't there or content isn't there or both.

I may hold out playing this game for a longer time. I've been good at dodging spoilers.

rozay

Banned
it's most likely the case. They have to finish the game in 2 years, EA won't let them develop for a longer time. And by EA I mean EA. While the general progression of Bioware towards broadening their audience is their own direction, all these quality issues + shorter dev cycles are EA's influence. The Doctors may try to dumb down their games but they have pride in what they do and it seems that they always tried to make the best game possible even though it may appeal to a larger number of people. I don't have much problems with this direction as I have with humongous bugs like face import error and blatantly undercooked content like DAII. It's either quality isn't there or content isn't there or both.

I may hold out playing this game for a longer time. I've been good at dodging spoilers.
It's definitely unfortunate that with the larger budgets and other benefits of working with EA, both of their recent projects have not been up to par. Game probably would have benefited greatly from another year of development time, but I still enjoyed what we got up until the ending.

Also, didn't you mention an article where one of the doctors actually asked for ME2 to not be as streamlined as the devs wanted to take it? I'd be interested to read that article if you know where to find it.

subversus

It's definitely unfortunate that with the larger budgets and other benefits of working with EA, both of their recent projects have not been up to par. Game probably would have benefited greatly from another year of development time, but I still enjoyed what we got up until the ending.

Also, didn't you mention an article where one of the doctors actually asked for ME2 to not be as streamlined as the devs wanted to take it? I'd be interested to read that article if you know where to find it.

it wasn't the article it was the interview. After I finished ME2 I went and read all their interviews I could find because I liked it that much. I think it was in Gamasutra but I don't remember for sure. I'll try to find it when I have time.

as for another year of development time it will receive it. From now on I will just wait a year for Bioware's games and play the finished version if it is worth it. Bioware still has it in them, I'm enjoying multiplayer more than any MP game in a year or may be even more. I certainly didn't expect that.

Khal_B

I would have gladly sacrificed multiplayer (as fun as it is) if it meant a more complete SP experience. I'm wondering now if that was a factor in why ME3 SP felt so rushed.

subversus

I would have gladly sacrificed multiplayer (as fun as it is) if it meant a more complete SP experience. I'm wondering now if that was a factor in why ME3 SP felt so rushed.

I don't think so. It was made by the separate team which was merged with the main team at the later stage of development. It was a shooter originally.

also they wanted to ship this in autumn 2011. Just imagine what could have been, lol.

Khal_B

I don't think so. It was made by the separate team which was merged with the main team at the later stage of development. It was a shooter originally.

also they wanted to ship this in autumn 2011. Just imagine what could have been, lol.

I see, okay now I won't feel so guilty about playing the MP lol.

Also, wow @ Autumn. Honestly, I wouldn't have minded a release date sometime next year for them to polish the game up, considering, you know, it's the finale to the trilogy. Like you said, guess we'll have to see what the DLC brings to the table.

Or like I mentioned in the spoiler thread, I'm also up for a "Director's Cut" of ME3.

Sai

Is there a complete list of the weapon upgrade costs anywhere? I've done a few google searches and found nothing.

McJEu.jpg

the guy in my post is apparently the lead for multiplayer while the one in yours in some QA grunt

edit: welp
That's a relief! Thought it was weird for them to start cracking down on single player moddin', when they seemed perfectly chill about folks doin' it for ME2.

Gonna start another game now. XD

Is there a way to reassign the default power for your squadmates?
Like... Swap out powers already designated to them with powers that would normally belong to another character? Probably only through mods.

I wanted to do that for the 360 version of ME2, wasn't possible. :(

LosDaddie

Banned
So, squadmate weapon weight doesn't matter at all, correct? I can have GArrus equipped with a sniper and an AR, and his recharge times won't be affected like they are for Shepard, right?.

Anybody?

Thanks for asking this because I was wondering the exact same thing. Last night I started the Academy side mission with Javik and Garrus, but yeah, I'm missing Liara's biotics. I'm pretty sure I'm going to roll with Garrus and Liara after I'm done with the mission though

There a few missions where he's absolutely required. He interacts a lot with Liara for example.

Small spoiler about a city you visit:
When you get to Thessia, you absolutely needs to bring him along.

Vega should have been DLC. He should have been part the game.

And thanks for answering this. I'll make sure to have him in my squad for that mission.

Massa

At least on the console version you're shown a modifier for Shepard and none for your squadmates, so I just assumed it didn't affect them.

The game could indeed make it clearer, their entire UI should be better to be honest.

zkylon

zkylewd
I wanted to do that for the 360 version of ME2, wasn't possible. :(
No, like, you press your squadmate's hotkey when aiming at an enemy and they quickcast a power. In ME2, they didn't have default powers, so they would intelligently use the correct power (i.e. Overload on shields, etc.). In ME3, they're a bunch of idiots with default powers, so I ask Liara to quickcast on an armored target, and she keeps casting Singularity instead of Warp, because it's her default power.

LosDaddie

Banned
At least on the console version you're shown a modifier for Shepard and none for your squadmates, so I just assumed it didn't affect them..

True, but I hate assuming stuff like that. Plus, I put in over 30hrs in the MP before starting the campaign, and weight matters A LOT in MP.

No, like, you press your squadmate's hotkey when aiming at an enemy and they quickcast a power. In ME2, they didn't have default powers, so they would intelligently use the correct power (i.e. Overload on shields, etc.). In ME3, they're a bunch of idiots with default powers, so I ask Liara to quickcast on an armored target, and she keeps casting Singularity instead of Warp, because it's her default power.

On the 360, press X on the power in the weapon wheel. In your case, Warp. Now, every time you press the button on the D-Pad corresponding to Liara, she'll use Warp.

zkylon

zkylewd
On the 360, press X on the power in the weapon wheel. In your case, Warp. Now, every time you press the button on the D-Pad corresponding to Liara, she'll use Warp.
That's great, thanks. I'm playing on PC but there's probably a keyboard counterpart. Random keyboard key tapping mode BEGIN!

Top Bottom