• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Mdk7

I just loaded the game (had around 6 hours of playtime, 360 version) and... the save is gone.
It's just not there, the only available option for me is to start a a new game.

I'm so fucking pissed you can't even imagine: FUCK THIS SHIT (we Italians also had that glitch with the Grissom Academy mission...) and most of all FUCK BIOWARE.
I'll never, EVER buy another game developed by them.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
What in the fucking fuck? Booted up my game Continue and Load options disappeared. Only new game and multiplayer remains. My multiplayer characters are intact but all the rest has vanished. First time this has happened to me this entire gen. How the hell did this happen?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
lol

Bioware got tired of all the bitching so they don't want people to reach the end.

I already finished the game so I'm not that incensed as I could have been but still. I just replayed some of the later missions to get a different desired outcome yesterday and was planning on finishing the game again starting from that point. If we're suspecting geographic factors: I'm Belgian.

Mdk7

What in the fucking fuck? Booted up my game Continue and Load options disappeared. Only new game and multiplayer remains. My multiplayer characters are intact but all the rest has vanished. First time this has happened to me this entire gen. How the hell did this happen?
Same fucking thing that happened to me.
FUCK THEM.

I just loaded the game (had around 6 hours of playtime, 360 version) and... the save is gone.
It's just not there, the only available option for me is to start a a new game.

I'm so fucking pissed you can't even imagine: FUCK THIS SHIT (we Italians also had that glitch with the Grissom Academy mission...) and most of all FUCK BIOWARE.
I'll never, EVER buy another game developed by them.
Came here to post this. I was using Xbox cloud saves.

What the fuck is this shit?

Edit: my save is still there, the game just can't read it. This might have something to do with the 42 EA server checks the game does on startup? Considering there was no particular update on my side, something must have happened server side?

Shawn6661

Will it run on my crappy PC (i know about recommended specs...) :

Athlon 64 x2 4200+ (2,2ghz) / Radeon HD 4850 512Mb / 2GB Ram / WinXPSP3

What do you think ? I ran the solo and multiplayer demo fine but i'm afraid of bigger zone in the final game like the Citadel. Is it really crowded or divided in multiple zones ?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Are you guys using cloud saves? I had the same thing happen to me but in my particular case I was trying to access my cloud save from a different console. The original console I started my game was fine.

If you are using cloud saves do you still see your saved profile in the cloud? If so, try moving it to your local storage.

Are you guys using cloud saves? I had the same thing happen to me but in my particular case I was trying to access my cloud save from a different console. The original console I started my game was fine.

If you are using cloud saves do you still see your saved profile in the cloud? If so, try moving it to your local storage.
I confirm this workaround works: move the save from cloud to hard drive.

Drakken

In case there's someone else out there who somehow got halfway through the game without figuring these out :)facepalm:), here are a couple tips for "mining" on the galaxy map:

-You can exit a system anywhere on the outer ring, not just where the green arrows are.
-The direction your ship is pointed when you enter a system determines where you'll appear inside it (really helps in systems where Reapers are present).

Scanning for and collecting artifacts is way easier now.

zkylon

zkylewd
In case there's someone else out there who somehow got halfway through the game without figuring these out :)facepalm:), here are a couple tips for "mining" on the galaxy map:

-You can exit a system anywhere on the outer ring, not just where the green arrows are.
-The direction your ship is pointed when you enter a system determines where you'll appear inside it (really helps in systems where Reapers are present).

Scanning for and collecting artifacts is way easier now.
Oh that's awesome. Been wondering if it was random for a long while now.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I just did a quick save and reloaded. There are also guides out there that tell you where things are, so you waste less time.

Keikoku

Banned
I would have gladly sacrificed multiplayer (as fun as it is) if it meant a more complete SP experience. I'm wondering now if that was a factor in why ME3 SP felt so rushed.

How the SP feels rushed ? I'm playing it right now and it is by far the most ambitious and compelling game in the series.

How the SP feels rushed ? I'm playing it right now and it is by far the most ambitious and compelling game in the series.

Yeah man, having one hub in the entire game, having no exploration at all, removing neutral responses and relegating investigate to very few conversations, going around the galaxy scanning for items to fufill a bunch of fetch quests while playing pac man with the reapers, fighting waves of enemies in the multiplayer maps as our side missions and over hearing quests like a creeper and not being able actually talk to people about it or have them request you do something...so much more ambitious than ME and ME2.

Yeah man, having one hub in the entire game, having no exploration at all, removing neutral responses and relegating investigate to very few conversations, going around the galaxy scanning for items to fufill a bunch of fetch quests while playing pac man with the reapers, fighting waves of enemies in the multiplayer maps as our side missions and over hearing quests like a creeper and not being able actually talk to people about it or have them request you do something...so much more ambitious than ME and ME2.

Yeah, ambitious (relative to the series) it's not. It's very combat-oriented. And in terms of branching, it's not about creating any complexity on that level but rather making use of and tying up the branches created by the previous two games. I think this all mostly works given the theme of the game, but it's definitely not as ambitious as its predecessors.

Keikoku

Banned

Maybe I should have said "immersion" instead of ambitious, but you sound like someone who didn't play ME2 for a long time. I just beat it for the third time before starting the third one and it had the same flaws. I hate when a sequel comes and people always idealize the previous game even though it was heavily hated back then. And it's not like the Mass Effect series in general has ever been especially deep or anything.

Maybe I should have said "immersion" instead of ambitious, but you sound like someone who didn't play ME2 for a long time. I just beat it for the third time before starting the third one and it had the same flaws. I hate when a sequel comes and people always idealize the previous game even though it was heavily hated back then. And it's not like the Mass Effect series in general has ever been especially deep or anything.

Mass Effect 2 undoubtedly had more large-ish hubs, conversations, and non-combat quests and missions than Mass Effect 3. This is undeniable.

It is completely fair to note that while ME2 is probably more combat-oriented than ME1, ME3 is even more so.

zkylon

zkylewd
You summed up exactly my feelings with the game. I'm sure the multiplayer factored heavily into the campaign being so watered down.

On the other hand, (3-5 hours in light spoiler)
having the Deus Ex Machina presented so early in the game, without any prior foreshadowing in the previous games leads me to believe Bioware also didn't really know what they were doing. Mind you, I haven't beaten the game yet, so I don't know if that machine really makes it all better or not.

Like I said before, it feels like Bioware's most cynical game yet, unfortunately. At it's best is ME2 enjoyable, but for me it's usually not the case :/

On the other hand, (3-5 hours in light spoiler)
having the Deus Ex Machina presented so early in the game, without any prior foreshadowing in the previous games leads me to believe Bioware also didn't really know what they were doing. Mind you, I haven't beaten the game yet, so I don't know if that machine really makes it all better or not.

Oh man. Join us in http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467193&page=242 when you're done. (Don't click yet -- unmarked spoilers.)

Lol, I played Mass Effect 2 right before the game came out. Hell I played through it and the first game again after beating the third game. I'm calling it like I see it, ME3 is more scaled down. But hey, at least the combat and level progression is better.

Is anyone else getting unbearable lag in multiplayer? (PC or otherwise) I've played for the past two days and no lag at all...today it's like EA took a steaming dump on their servers. Or maybe there's just something wrong with my internet today.

Replicant

Is anyone else getting unbearable lag in multiplayer? (PC or otherwise) I've played for the past two days and no lag at all...today it's like EA took a steaming dump on their servers. Or maybe there's just something wrong with my internet today.

I had that problem a few days ago and when I asked about it, no one seems to know. But yeah, I had issues like enemies suddenly popping out in front of my face, or I'm shooting at an enemy but it doesn't seem to have any effect, or my character often stuck on air, stuttering, etc.

I was watching videos of important scenes from the game when the player took different decision from mine.

I love
Mordin's "This was a mistake!" if you try to remind him he was in favor of the genophage before. Great line, great delivery.

Ambitious

I hate the quest log. Why isn't there a detail view of the quests anymore, showing what you've achieved so far and what to do next? If I find some artifact or another quest item, it's not listed there. As I always fully scan all available systems after each mission, it's possible that I already have several artifacts to deliver on the Citadel. But I don't know and so I have to go check the people who gave me the quests on the Citadel every time.

Additionally, it does not show everything. I got a message from
Miranda, saying that she wanted me to meet on the Citadel. I did several other quests and forgot about that, I just met her by coincidence. Why is there no entry in the log "Miranda wants to meet you on the Citadel"?

By the way, I just got another message from
Feron. He says he has useful information for me and I should talk to Glyph. But apparently I can't?

edit: And I don't like that a lot of conversations are just walk-by conversations without decisions. If I accidentally press A again, the character immediately stops and says his next line, which often is just the standard "Hey commander!", at least for the Normandy crew.

I hate the quest log. Why isn't there a detail view of the quests anymore, showing what you've achieved so far and what to do next? If I find some artifact or another quest item, it's not listed there. As I always fully scan all available systems after each mission, it's possible that I already have several artifacts to deliver on the Citadel. But I don't know and so I have to go check the people who gave me the quests on the Citadel every time.

Miranda, saying that she wanted me to meet on the Citadel. I did several other quests and forgot about that, I just met her by coincidence. Why is there no entry in the log "Miranda wants to meet you on the Citadel"?

Feron. He says he has useful information for me and I should talk to Glyph. But apparently I can't?

Sometimes the emails come after you've already done the thing it is telling you to do. In that case, you probably already applied the upgrade at Glyph's terminal thing.

I hated that so much. I can't tell you how many times I had an item for a quest, a quest would pop up on the Citadel that the item was for, and I wouldn't give it to the person until I came back later due to the horrible way it was managed. It's such a horribly handled way of doing it.

Vuffster

One note on the mission log: upon visiting the Citadel, you can find anyone who will take an artifact (etc.) off your hands via the area maps. They'll only show up if you have whatever they need. And since you can view the maps of all Citadel areas from any floor, it's pretty helpful.

Of course, the mission log really should be ME1/2-style; I have no idea why they changed it the way they did.

After assing around with MP for a bit I finally got into the groove of things with SP. 25 hours in and having one damn hell of a ride. The amount of amazing/fun stuff that happens is unbelievable, as well as the way small things come up almost constantly that wrap things up (in good or bad ways) with character stories you would thought they were forgotten.

This game is easily shaping up as my personal GOTY, and further cementing the franchise as a whole as my favorite this generation.

zkylon

zkylewd

edit: And I don't like that a lot of conversations are just walk-by conversations without decisions. If I accidentally press A again, the character immediately stops and says his next line, which often is just the standard "Hey commander!", at least for the Normandy crew.
There's also weird scripting bugs that mean you can't complete some quests before Bioware decides to allow it. For instance, it didn't allow me to deliver his stuff to the Volus in the Citadel Embassies until I completed a few main quest missions.

I'll flat out say it: everything that isn't main quest in Mass Effect 3 sucks.

Bioware should fix that first, then bother with the ending.

Ambitious

One note on the mission log: upon visiting the Citadel, you can find anyone who will take an artifact (etc.) off your hands via the area maps. They'll only show up if you have whatever they need. And since you can view the maps of all Citadel areas from any floor, it's pretty helpful.

Of course, the mission log really should be ME1/2-style; I have no idea why they changed it the way they did.

Nice hint about the map, thanks.

There's also weird scripting bugs that mean you can't complete some quests before Bioware decides to allow it. For instance, it didn't allow me to deliver his stuff to the Volus in the Citadel Embassies until I completed a few main quest missions.

I'll flat out say it: everything that isn't main quest in Mass Effect 3 sucks.

Bioware should fix that first, then bother with the ending.

These item collecting sidequests remind me of the terrible copy paste quests in ME1. It's always the same. Talk to random person about random irrelevant stuff, scan planet, talk to him again.
I'm also disappointed by the non-quest stuff like
the miniature ships. I expected something completely different, but it's the SAME miniquest again? And most of the ships are just hidden on the Normandy?
Ships and fish, again. Boring.
And that dog mech from the CE does nothing.

Is it just me, or are the read messages on the private terminal sorted in no particular order? By the way - it's no big deal of course, but I just don't understand why I can't access the squadmate screen from the C.I.C. terminal, just the one in the captain's cabin.

So i just transfered all of my data over from my old Slim to my new 320GB Star Wars Console. I just popped ME3 in, and all of my accomplishment trackers for my achievments were reset. I was halfway to Unwavering on single player, and i have a save about half way through my Insanity playthrough. My question is will i still get my Achievment for completing the game on Insanity if i load my save and continue? And what about Unwavering since my tracker was reset somehow during the transfer? Also everything was back to default. I adjusted my difficulty back to Insanity though.

Aske

Sorry if this has been asked dozens of times already (I checked the last couple of pages, but everyone is talking about slightly spoilerish gameplay stuff which I don't want to know about) - is it possible to get the best ending without touching the multiplayer?

This (spoilers) suggests that players can't get the necessary
4000 Effective Military Strength
points by playing the single player campaign. So am I screwed unless I buy a Live Gold account, play the iOS games, or wait for more DLC to drop? I can't believe that would be the case. If the requirements are different, please let me know in the most spoiler-free way possible. I'm only 2 hours into the game, but I don't want to finish up and get a "Sorry! The 60 hours you spent playing ME3 the first time were just a practice run! Please play again in a few months after we sell you more DLC to enjoy the real ending to the Mass Effect trilogy. Fuck you! :D"

Melchiah

Sorry if this has been asked dozens of times already (I checked the last couple of pages, but everyone is talking about slightly spoilerish gameplay stuff which I don't want to know about) - is it possible to get the best ending without touching the multiplayer?

points by playing the single player campaign. So am I screwed unless I buy a Live Gold account, play the iOS games, or wait for more DLC to drop? I can't believe that would be the case. If the requirements are different, please let me know in the most spoiler-free way possible. I'm only 2 hours into the game, but I don't want to finish up and get a "Sorry! The 60 hours you spent playing ME3 the first time were just a practice run! Please play again in a few months after we sell you more DLC to enjoy the real ending to the Mass Effect trilogy. Fuck you! :D"

Yes, as there's no best ending. The same was said to me, when I asked the same question, and I wish I had believed it, instead of wasting about 8-10 hours on the MP to get 100% galactic readiness.

Aske

Yes, as there's no best ending. The same was said to me, when I asked the same question, and I wish I had believed it, instead of wasting about 8-10 hours on the MP to get 100% galactic readiness.

I know they're all supposed to be lousy, but I'd still like the least lousy one.

I know they're all supposed to be lousy, but I'd still like the least lousy one.

5000 EMS adds one very brief scene to one of the endings only, and it makes no sense that what the scene depicts would be tied to your EMS to begin with.

I'd just go with youtubing the endings after you finish.

DTKT

I believe it was proven that one of the ending requires the Galactic Readiness to be at a certain level. So yes, you need to play the multiplayer in order to have access to all endings.

5000 EMS adds one very brief scene to one of the endings only, and it makes no sense that what the scene depicts would be tied to your EMS to begin with.

It's a real shame but do what this man says.

Aske

I read it was 5000 EMS points, or 4000 and enough morality points to pass a particular check to get the ending. Is that accurate, or will I need to grind out 5000 points? Morality points have never been an issue for me in previous games, plus I have a boost from my imported character, so if I can get by with 4000 I should meet the morality requirement.

I get that the extra scene is not a big deal and I might as well YT it, but I've invested so much into this trilogy over the generation that getting the most complete ending possible is a matter of principle at this point.

I believe it was proven that one of the ending requires the Galactic Readiness to be at a certain level. So yes, you need to play the multiplayer in order to have access to all endings.

Galactic Readiness (and Effective Strength?) can be boosted with the Mass Effect Infiltrator app...I guess that'll be the way to go if I can't get enough points in the regular campaign. Does the app give players a specific number of points, or can it be farmed like the multiplayer?

Top Bottom