• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Gestahl

I strongly disagree that disliking the ending is equivalent to having journalistic integrity, as that's a matter of taste. Journalistic integrity, in this context, would include the ability for someone writing about the controversy to give a nuanced overview about fans' complaints instead of lazy generalizations (as it would demonstrate that the person writing about the topic bothered to research it).

It's not about "liking" the ending, anyone with two brain cells to rub together would have realized it was at the very least divisive, and would have mentioned it in their review instead of writing about the various ways the game made them come so hard blood came out and made the shape of an Oscar or whatever. Gerstman is basically the only one who said anything about it prerelease

zkylon

zkylewd
Just started this a few days ago (about 5-7 hours in) and I'm pretty disappointed so far, though I've been having a couple off days, so I'd be willing to give it another chance when I'm in a better mood.

I can't quite point what's so different from ME2, but I think it's gotten worse in overall quality in every aspect I can think of. It's probably been said to death but you barely have any input in conversations anymore, sidequests are a fetch-quest hell and it looks like all the texture resolution in the game went to Kaidan's naked chest. I hated planet scanning in ME2 but in ME3 it's like they didn't even try, you can barely call it a mini-game any more.

So far, it feels like Bioware's most cynical game to date.

Big-E

So here's a post on reddit

where there's a screenshot of a Bioware employee saying you will get banned from Origin if you mod your single player Mass Effect 3.

I'd say that's probably worth a thread of its own. That's fucking insane.

It is crazy how you have to play the multiplayer in order to get the best ending and the people who want to circumvent that will be banned? Ridiculous.

Goon Boon

Banned
It is crazy how you have to play the multiplayer in order to get the best ending and the people who want to circumvent that will be banned? Ridiculous.

Remember that EA also likes to shut down multiplayer servers for games a year or two after release, so what happens when that happens?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just started this a few days ago (about 5-7 hours in) and I'm pretty disappointed so far, though I've been having a couple off days, so I'd be willing to give it another chance when I'm in a better mood.

I can't quite point what's so different from ME2, but I think it's gotten worse in overall quality in every aspect I can think of. It's probably been said to death but you barely have any input in conversations anymore, sidequests are a fetch-quest hell and it looks like all the texture resolution in the game went to Kaidan's naked chest. I hated planet scanning in ME2 but in ME3 it's like they didn't even try, you can barely call it a mini-game any more.

So far, it feels like Bioware's most cynical game to date.

The entire plot of ME2 was one giant fetch quest. :p Play the priority missions. All the neat stuff happens there.

RedAssedApe

Banned

Without any spoilers can someone briefly elaborate on this? Why do you need to play MP to be able to see all the endings? Does it have to do with your war readiness score or something? Only halfway through I think.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Without any spoilers can someone briefly elaborate on this? Why do you need to play MP to be able to see all the endings? Does it have to do with your war readiness score or something? Only halfway through I think.
You can get all the endings, from SP alone. However, there is something extra for one of them, which takes 5,000 EMS to see. It's not really worth it, but if you only want to only play SP, you won't be able to reach it.

Grymm

Banned

Basically there's a certain score you have to reach to see the entire content of what is considered the best possible ending, and that score is not achievable playing only the single player game. You can still get that ending, but it will not contain all the extra scenes that it would if you had the right score.

I would not be surprised in the least if DLC eventually gives more ways to earn the necessary score by playing only single player. But that's DLC... you have to pay extra for that shit. Scumbag EAWare.

Also, here's another reddit post with another Bioware employee contradicting the one I posted a few minutes ago. They really need to get their shit together. On second thought, maybe they don't. Let em burn.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Well that's super lame. I'll probably just beat the game and just watch the extra scenes on YouTube. Same if they end up releasing a new ending dlc and charge for it.

spekkeh

Banned
Just finished the game. I thought the ending was awesome. Really don't get all the vitriol about it. I guess off to the spoilerthread to see what a dumb bellend I am.

spekkeh

Banned
Completed ME3 two hours ago. The series as a whole has been the most satisfying and compelling, interesting and engaging series I've ever played. I didn't want the series to be over, I got too attached to the characters, as nerdy as that may sound. That combined with the amazing soundtrack really gave me a chills, wanting more. But knowing there probably won't be more is not a pleasent feeling :(
Agreed, probably the most engaged I ever felt in a game world.

But I'm sure there will be more, I thought Bioware had already said they were interested in doing more things in the ME universe. Well, and if not, we'd be spared a Star Wars.

There are iOS apps that can increase your 'galactic readiness'. I think maybe something on facebook aswell.

But you'd have to make sure that you have the same origin log in.

I used that to keep my Galactic readiness at 100% - 99% at all times. I'm still grinding at it after the ending because I want to see what happens when I get the final mega upgrades.

So about that Insanity run...

3 Geth Primes were kinda dicks. All of the other shit I could deal pretty easily, but close quarters, turret-spamming, pulse firing robots with regenerating shields and thick as fuck armor? No thank you. Had to wear them down before I even used the spitfire.

3 Geth Primes were kinda dicks. All of the other shit I could deal pretty easily, but close quarters, turret-spamming, pulse firing robots with regenerating shields and thick as fuck armor? No thank you. Had to wear them down before I even used the spitfire.

Particle Rifle X + Disruptor/Incendiary Ammo

Breaks the entire game. If you have the From Ashes DLC I highly suggest you use this weapon ;)

Spitfire + corner abuse. Narrow them down in line, don't get cornered or flanked. Did it first try. Can't believe people have issue with this. Tons of cover, dead angle, room to move around...

zkylon

zkylewd
The entire plot of ME2 was one giant fetch quest. :p Play the priority missions. All the neat stuff happens there.
I'm not a big fan of ME2 either, but I feel like the universe and Bioware's storytelling doesn't lend itself to games set in the midst of war, and from playing it as long as I have, (and ignoring the design decisions I don't agree with, like (small EDI beginning of the game spoiler)
turning EDI into a sexbot
) it sounds like they moved resources from the main campaign to multiplayer, because I can't see another explanation on why most sidequests don't even have introductory conversations or why the journal is useless or why conversations are mostly cutscenes now.

Sai

So here's a post on reddit

where there's a screenshot of a Bioware employee saying you will get banned from Origin if you mod your single player Mass Effect 3.

I'd say that's probably worth a thread of its own. That's fucking insane.
D: Why? Does this have something to do with the galactic readiness nonsense? I gave my Shepard a few extra points, and I was thinking about throwing some extra credits in later.

They didn't have any problem with ME2 stuff being modded, what's changed?

Just started this game last night. Character creation is lame yet again. In ME1 my Shepard had battle scars and cool hair, and it seems in each game you get less scars and less cool hair to choose from.

Violet_0

Banned
okay, I have no ME2 save anymore, so I want to import a character (from PC). Downloaded Modio and Gibbed, followed the instructions, encountered a problem - I have to import my Xbox career to Modio, but I don't have an existing career. All I've got on my USB stick is the ME3 Online Pass. So now I'm sitting here with my edited .xbsav-file and don't know what to do.

Particle Rifle X + Disruptor/Incendiary Ammo

Breaks the entire game. If you have the From Ashes DLC I highly suggest you use this weapon ;)

Actually I do have the DLC, just didn't play it. Might have to do that before starting the final assault.

I got past that part before I posted, at the Final Battle now, and yea, this is worst fight in the game. 2 Banshees plus constantly respawning Marauders and Cannibals. Infiltrator, and basically, they just have way too much fucking health. Just a crock of shit.

Prologue

34300.jpg

Actually I do have the DLC, just didn't play it. Might have to do that before starting the final assault.

I got past that part before I posted, at the Final Battle now, and yea, this is worst fight in the game. 2 Banshees plus constantly respawning Marauders and Cannibals. Infiltrator, and basically, they just have way too much fucking health. Just a crock of shit.

Yeah...Vanguard with high power recharge broke the final assault for me. I just spammed charge-nova during that whole last sequence. Very lackluster final assault. Which lead up to a very
lackluster
ending.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

You didnt play the DLC? Unfortunate, as it is seemingly essential to the games entire playthrough. All of the best conversations/interactions on the Normandy, and much of the lore and background to the ending is given through the DLC.

Crazy I know, but true none the less.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Ugh I wish the game gave you more warning about timed missions. I missed the Grissom academy one by doing PRIORITY missions first. Wtf haha. Oh well.

Is there a cheat/hack for increasing your galactic readiness on the PC version? I had no idea that you needed to play multiplayer when I got the game to get a good ending.

i know got pass that point but still,my combo was:-
Black widow + Disruptor + clock + cover.never go wrong with this.

IMO spitfire is good when u at a distance.CQ heavy fire is best left to clock mode.

I
killed them like everything else. I had
Garus
use overload to kill the barrier/sheilds, tell
Liara
to use warp to DoT, then charge my assault rifle with armor piercing rounds. Also, have you found the special, "Kill things dead with one shot" gun in that area? It helped me thin out the heard at the start, but I wish I had kept it for the mega banshee invasion.
I kept yelling first aid into my kinect with no luck, then I'd use it twice in a row when I didn't need it. It was the one time where I mapped a power to my controller.

the rocket launcher in the room next to the first missle battery .
also aim at brutes's exposed body section when u facing thier back,does a good amount damage.
still cant figure out a way to kill banshee.

spekkeh

Banned
I played an engineer and mostly brought Liara and a soldier with me. Overload+Warp+Concussive shot and the Banshee is already half dead. Then when you're recharged incinerate and some other power and you're done.

edit-- didn't notice it was about that part of the game, in which case I have no idea how to do it on insanity. There's a little room at the back to your right. I stood against the wall there and that made it a lot easier, but yeah that was on normal.

the rocket launcher in the room next to the first missle battery .
also aim at brutes's exposed body section when u facing thier back,does a good amount damage.
still cant figure out a way to kill banshee.

Banshees are just dicks. I fail to see who thought multiple of them would just be "fun" when taking fire from all sides. The area also isn't big enough to kite them away. I'm going to try a few different load-out before starting the last fight again. I'm not that worried about the Brutes, I've shit on them all game--it's like Banshees and Marauder/Cannibal fire combine for an unblockable mix-up.

My problem is that the item mentioned in your spoiler was not there upon subsequent tries. Kept checking, no dice. Figured it was another bug. I've run into way too many freezes.

I also might need to rest, played straight from the Geth Dreadnought to last mission, so I could just be tired and need to try again in a few days.

Normal didn't give me much trouble, but Insanity for this section and the previous boss fight were just shit on a stick.

I don't even know how I got through that last part on insanity.
The game stupidly autosaved me in front of the big laser beam, so I had two seconds to move while also under fire by cannibals and marauders and trying to out run the banshees On top of that, on the reloads it made all my med kits and grenades go to 0 for no reason. Such a horrible section to close the game off with.

No.

The only thing that matters is your effective military strength. The green bar. Max out the green bar (which is possible to do without touching multiplayer or anything) and you will have access to all the ending options and the 'best' outcome (keeping vague here). However, if you have a higher EMS (I think 5000, maybe?), you can also see a small bonus post-credits sequence if you pick a specific ending. This number cannot be reached by playing only single player.

It's really not worth it, and outside of this tiny bonus you can get/see everything in a single solo playthrough. The green bar is all that matters.

Thanks. I think I'm going to dive in and finish this thing off then. The game has been great so far but I find the multiplayer repetitive and was dreading having to grind my way up to 5000 EMS for this supposed "best" ending. My green bar is filled to the brim and my EMS is around 3600 right now.

Replicant

Banshees are just dicks. I fail to see who thought multiple of them would just be "fun" when taking fire from all sides. The area also isn't big enough to kite them away. I'm going to try a few different load-out before starting the last fight again. I'm not that worried about the Brutes, I've shit on them all game--it's like Banshees and Marauder/Cannibal fire combine for an unblockable mix-up.

I'd recommend Chakram Launcher level 5 + Disruptor Ammo and alternating that with Incinerate to thin down Banshee's health quickly and effectively. I was also an Infiltrator so I could easily sneak in and out of their view using tactical cloak. Also, for extra power I used Defense Drone. They are far more effective than I thought because they basically guard the perimeter and ensures Cannibals and Marauders can't sneak up around you.

I don't even know how I got through that last part on insanity.
The game stupidly autosaved me in front of the big laser beam, so I had two seconds to move while also under fire by cannibals and marauders and trying to out run the banshees On top of that, on the reloads it made all my med kits and grenades go to 0 for no reason. Such a horrible section to close the game off with.
That part was fine for me but what about the one after that?
(the lone Marauder) post beam attack
? I still can't get past that on Insanity.

Replicant

Yeah, I died there a couple of times too. You have to go for headshots and you have to make sure you don't miss.

*sigh* I hate that part. You can't fully control your character and his health is utter shite at that point. Of course the fact that I'm also sick at the moment doesn't help either. I felt Shepard's POV look weird and dizzying. I guess I'll try again when I feel better.

LosDaddie

Banned
So, squadmate weapon weight doesn't matter at all, correct? I can have GArrus equipped with a sniper and an AR, and his recharge times won't be affected like they are for Shepard, right?

I'm still early in the game, did the DLC character's mission first, and now trying to figure out the squad I want to roll with. For ME1 and ME2, I ALWAY ran with Garrus and my female love interest.

Top Bottom