• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Patryn

Yeah, problem is there's probably a lot more people like me, and I don't feel like waiting in line for a midnight launch. Might give Target a try the morning of release.

Don't most Gamestops do only pre-order pickups for midnight releases? I haven't been to one in like a year, but the last few I went to, they kicked everyone out of the store, then only let small groups in after checking that they had a valid receipt.

Rokam

Don't most Gamestops do only pre-order pickups for midnight releases? I haven't been to one in like a year, but the last few I went to, they kicked everyone out of the store, then only let small groups in after checking that they had a valid receipt.

Yeah it's only pre order, you can go in anytime between 10-12 and pay off in full and get your final receipt. Then you usually go stand back outside, or just sit in your car. At midnight they let everyone in and you hand them the receipt and they give you the game.

rozay

Banned
Yeah it's only pre order, you can go in anytime between 10-12 and pay off in full and get your final receipt. Then you usually go stand back outside, or just sit in your car. At midnight they let everyone in and you hand them the receipt and they give you the game.
Do they give out numbers so you don't have to stand outside the store for 2 hours after getting your final receipt?

Rokam

Do they give out numbers so you don't have to stand outside the store for 2 hours after getting your final receipt?

Nope, and they don't police the door either (at least here). At the Assassin's Creed release people rushed the door who were not standing in line and they didn't do shit. I typically just stay in the car and wait for the line to dwindle, to avoid spoilers and douchebags.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm glad i never have to deal with this. I pre-order my game and go get it after my job, no need to deal with idiots or huge lines outside when its -20 or +30 celsius.

inky

I was reading this article earlier this morning: http://www.1up.com/news/sexism-mass-effect-2

While I liked the article, the comments were fucking embarrassing.

Good lord. This is why I don't tell people I play video games.

Just don't read the comments or don't act like the people in them and you'll be fine. My experience has been that people nowadays don't give a second thought to you playing videogames if you don't act like a weirdo about it.

Concerning the article, yeah it's been a common criticism in this industry and towards BW in particular. I don't agree with the last paragraph though, people think they are somewhat progressive, but their games mostly handle sexuality and relationships from the same immature perspective than everybody else, they just go deeper into letting you play the role and have conversations and work a little bit before taking them to bed.
Since the first game both Liara and Ashley were there to represent two groups very common to the style of science fiction they were referencing and big parts of their personality were fan service: the naive girl, and the strong beliefs girl. It's common and there's nothing wrong with it, but it's nothing groundbreaking either. For 2 they just upped the ante.

Spoiler concerning a certain squadmate in ME2 & 3:

When I first heard they got Tricia Helfer to do VA, together with Yvonne, I thought they were just going to bombard you with sexual tension, and then they showed the other characters like Jack but, it turned out Helfer's character was a disembodied AI with a somewhat secondary role. I actually thought that was a clever twist on your expectations for her character, while at the same time keeping the fanbase pleased with just having her there. Now I just realize they probably had too many sexy females going around, so they decided to save it for ME3. That why I was disappointed by her new body reveal, and that doesn't say they are letting you romance her or whatever, but I don't find the need to represent her that way, influences and all.

It also plays into things like how now male Shepard will be able to romance same sex character(s?), which is fine I guess, except that I remember they said specifically and emphatically they didn't really see him that way since before ME2 came out. They are not making a statement of character, they are just pandering with that the same way they did with DA2. A simple case of knowing your audience I guess, and while there is nothing wrong with that, they are not setting any standards either.

Patryn

I'm glad i never have to deal with this. I pre-order my game and go get it after my job, no need to deal with idiots or huge lines outside when its -20 or +30 celsius.

I just decided to order mine off Amazon. I am then coincidentally taking a vacation day on Wednesday.

You guys do midnight launches wrong. You just drive up to GameStop at 12:15 am when the line is gone, go inside, and pick up game. No waiting in stupid lines.

You guys do midnight launches wrong. You just drive up to GameStop at 12:15 am when the line is gone, go inside, and pick up game. No waiting in stupid lines.

That's what I've been doing for a couple of years now. Best thing imo.

And my avatar has been N7ed. I'm ready for this, come at me reapers!

Rokam

Yeah that's what I'll be doing this time. Last time was because my nephew had never been to a midnight opening and kept begging. Don't think he'll be asking to go ever again.

Roll animation and expanded melee stuff were directly cited as needing the memory that holstering was using.

Still not a good reason not to have it in the PC version at the very least. The constantly unholstered combat look is incredibly annoying to me.

Patryn

What annoys me about the lack of holstering is that it means that combat areas and dialogue/exploration areas have to be clearly segregated. You can't seamlessly transition between the two now if the game can't handle the character putting their gun away.

You guys serious about the film grain? Looked terrible, turned it off immediately. Gotta have my crisp clarity.

I liked it.

What annoys me about the lack of holstering is that it means that combat areas and dialogue/exploration areas have to be clearly segregated. You can't seamlessly transition between the two now if the game can't handle the character putting their gun away.

I liked it.

I've hated the way Shepard has his pistol 90 degrees straight in front of him since Mass Effect 1. Looks so wooden and awful.

rozay

Banned
The tap wasn't effective at all, though, from what I used of it. Felt like you had to get a charge in.
It's a lot weaker at the start forsure. I haven't tried getting the melee bonuses in Alliance Training to see how that fares though. I don't really like how it's impossible to melee someone when they're on the ground, so you either have to aim at them and use a bullet or wait for them to get back up and risk exposure to other enemies.
You guys serious about the film grain? Looked terrible, turned it off immediately. Gotta have my crisp clarity.
It makes jaggies and other artifacts just a little less noticeable, so I will miss it.

foxdvd

I never liked the film grain.....

What I don't buy though is the weapon animations being cut because of memory.....unless the final build is a lot better than the demo, nothing in that demo pushed the edge of current consoles...

Mindlog

I don't really like how it's impossible to melee someone when they're on the ground, so you either have to aim at them and use a bullet or wait for them to get back up and risk exposure to other enemies
Yeah it's a pain. You can hit them, but it has to be lined up oddly. Lately I'm having a bigger problem with biotics warping enemies into extremely odd locations. Sometimes their corpse isn't where it should be. Stuff like that.

It's almost to the point where I believe the Asari AoE heavy melee is a band-aid on the problem. I have had to use it quite a few times to kill a glitched enemy.

I always turned off the grain, never understood its purpose, it really didn't fit the games visual style at all to me. The games never felt like old sci fi or anything, everything is too slick looking.

The tap wasn't effective at all, though, from what I used of it. Felt like you had to get a charge in.

3-hit melee combo is very useful. It can be a good insta-kill on non-shielded enemies.

Other than the earlier complaint about knocked down enemies, the only real issue is that it occasionally doesn't register at all even when you're clearly hitting guys square in the jaw.

CTE

Why would you want film grain? Add a gritty look to make it a space western or something? You want some cowboy hats, too?

Film grain for a game set in 2186.

Okay_guy.jpg

I have been photo documenting midnight launches for the past year.

Or rather, it turned into a documentary of how the the changing economy has hit retail stores.

GSR

I'm guessing the launch trailer will hit Monday, but I wish they'd put out the "From Ashes" trailer already. It was supposed to be out last Friday - hope it didn't get scrapped or anything.

Top Bottom