• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I have been photo documenting midnight launches for the past year.

Or rather, it turned into a documentary of how the the changing economy has hit retail stores.

Yeah, 'round here there won't be more than several people lined up if it's not a Halo or Call of Duty game. But I'm into PC gaming now, so I'll probably never go to one of those things again anyways. I should be able to unlock this shit at midnight without having to put on pants and go outside.

CTE

Mass Effect is all about the 70 and 80 scifi resemblance, so it fits very well. I always liked the effect. It felt a bit bleak without it.

I don't see the Star Wars influence that some of you must see. That universe benefits from film grain since it's basically a space western. ME is not that to me. I guess that's why some are so divided on the film grain issue.

There are 70/80's sci fi films that had a clean look. Hell, the new game is inspired more so by FF: Spirits Within than old films anyway.

I find the characters to be more in line with Star Trek influences, too. Just the biotics remind me of Star Wars in relation to force powers.

Sober

What I don't buy though is the weapon animations being cut because of memory.....unless the final build is a lot better than the demo, nothing in that demo pushed the edge of current consoles...
Guess you didn't notice the 3 frames of animation human sprites cowering for cover in the demo?

I'll pick this up at a bargain basement price, however long it takes. This isn't worth day 1 money, if they can drop the ball on simple details that were consistent with the other games, like film grain and holstering.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What does playing on the PC have to do with any of this? You've always been able to turn of the grain and blur on the console version.

Because it looks and controls better on PC? :D

I'll pick this up at a bargain basement price, however long it takes. This isn't worth day 1 money, if they can drop the ball on simple details that were consistent with the first game, like film grain and holstering.

Because those are the features that were on the back of the box for ME1 and ME2! Honestly, you can't want this game that badly.

CTE

Informative and well-argued post.

Space travel isn't even done in the same way. Star Wars is like really fast jets flying around. ME is more like B5 and Stargate in respect to travel. What, other than the biotics, are Star Wars influences to you?

Film grain tends to give me a headache, sorta like bloom but not as irritating, so it went off pretty early on.

The pulpy sci-fi feel was not thereby hindered in my estimation, but I certainly feel for those who feel otherwise.

derFeef

Space travel isn't even done in the same way. Star Wars is like really fast jets flying around. ME is more like B5 and Stargate in respect to travel. What, other than the biotics, are Star Wars influences to you?

Mass Effect is a mix of hard and soft scifi, and that's why I love it so much. You get your little Star Trek, but you also get your Star Wars with all the crazy races and history of the universe.

Don't tell me you can't feel the MetalStorm: The Destruction of Jared Syn vibe from the planet exploration in ME1?

Oh god that movie was baaaad, but yeah :)

RetroMG

Nope, and they don't police the door either (at least here). At the Assassin's Creed release people rushed the door who were not standing in line and they didn't do shit. I typically just stay in the car and wait for the line to dwindle, to avoid spoilers and douchebags.

I had the opposite experience at the Halo Reach launch. I actually got stuck behind a pillar and wound up moving back in line. But when the jackasses behind me noticed me finally getting out from behind the pillar, they thought I had jumped into the middle of the line and tried to have me thrown out.

Fortunately the GS guys knew me and knew I'd been in front early on, but still, it soured me on midnight launches.

Back on topic, I had this conversation with my wife:
Her: When does Mass Effect 3 come out?
Me: Tuesday.
Her: You aren't taking Wednesday off to play it, are you?
Me: Of course not.
Her: Good.
Me: (Quietly) I'm taking Tuesday off.
Her: What?
Me: Nothing!

CTE

Mass Effect is a mix of hard and soft scifi, and that's why I love it so much. You get your little Star Trek, but you also get your Star Wars with all the crazy races and history of the universe.

I think that's why this film grain issue is a big deal to some. We all see their vision of the universe in a different way. Which says quite a bit to how in depth it is, too. I can't think of a deeper universe that's been created other than the Star Wars one and that's had a massive head start.

Dennis

Banned
lol

The thread slipped to the second page after EatChildren warned he would start banning people.

I guess the racy stuff was why people were in here in the first place!

Dany

Banned
You know what sucks, people have casual conversations about spoilers in the middle of an ACIII thread....

assholes :(

The only solution is to get an army of Gaffers to flood fake spoilers everywhere, so that people won't believe or absorb the real spoilers when they are seen.

Patryn

Personally I'm just avoiding any boards and any comments that have to do with videogames that isn't NeoGAF.

In fact, I'm not even 100 percent certain I'm safe here, because I got a PM with the subject line "Mass Effect 3 Script." Hell no, I'm not opening that until I've beaten the game.

Dany

Banned
Personally I'm just avoiding any boards and any comments that have to do with videogames that isn't NeoGAF.

In fact, I'm not even 100 percent certain I'm safe here, because I got a PM with the subject line "Mass Effect 3 Script." Hell no, I'm not opening that until I've beaten the game.

What the hell is going on?!?!?

I'm really undecided on whether to get this at launch. I'm very uncertain over how good the single player will be, but the demo showed off a surprisingly strong multiplayer mode. However, combined with the somewhat rough nature of the matchmaking and netcode, and the "fuck you Europe" 3 day delay bonus, I'm tempted to hold off until the problems are ironed out and the price drops.

Has there been any word on the number of multiplayer maps in the final game?

Oh god guys, they're everywhere!

Shepard_Potter.jpg

Shit, shiiiiiit, what do I do? WHERE DO I GO? WTF IS THIS!!!

freaking_out.gif

Dave_6

I watched a little too much of that CE unboxing vid and caught a glimpse of
Jack with hair and carrying a sniper rifle
in the art book.

CrazyDude

I have no spoilers, but I want to continue to drive shinobi crazy. So I am going to talk about nothing for the next couple of sentences. The sky is blue, but not so blue that it swallow the ocean. We also have things called feet that let us walk around. People like to walk around. Did you know that the ocean has no feet? Do you think think the sky has feet?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I have no spoilers, but I want to continue to drive shinobi crazy. So I am going to talk about nothing for the next couple of sentences. The sky is blue, but not so blue that it swallow the ocean. We also have things called feet that let us walk around. People like to walk around. Did you know that the ocean has no feet? Do you think think the sky has feet?

FUUUUUUUUUCK WHY DID I CLICKED THAT???????!!!?!?!

I've already completed ME2, but am about to dive into the DLC to get ready for ME3. Will whatever I do in those DLC's get saved onto my "post game save" or do I need to beat the game again for it to carry over (assuming there's anything to carry over).

PC version, if that makes any difference.

Edit: As soon as I get my question answered, Imma GTFOutta here. Fucking spoiler tags all up in this bitch.

Top Bottom