• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Derrick01

Banned
And to add to this, I don't want that world building to be simple "Codex Entries". While it's an easy way to disseminate information, it is also lazy and boring.

Agreed. I like how it was in ME1 where you could for example talk to the Volus and Elcor ambassadors and they would tell you their stuff, but then you could go into the codex that you just earned from listening to them and it would actually expand on what they told you.

That's the stuff I like in all of my RPGs. It's the best way to get immersed into a world and to actually care about it.

GSR

If anyone is interested Gamespot are doing a live streaming of Mass Effect 3 at the moment (there will be spoilers). You can find the stream here :-

http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=now_playing_mass_effect_320120302

Apologies if this has been posted after all as DennisK4 was so keen to point out I am but a "junior" member :p

I'm gonna be honest: I only watched that to see the squad selection screen. I don't know why, but I always enjoy "choose your party" screens.

Woorloog

Banned
Not watching the launch trailer, not watching it... Still haven't watched it.

Goddamn the ME2 squad mate powers are infuriating. Lack of reset without LOTSB is infuriating but even worse is that the second power requires 2 ranks in the first power and another shitty thing is that the game automatically assings a rank in loyalty power. Fuck that.
They did fix this for ME3 didn't they? At least in demo you powers didn't require another power, yes?
Should've played Soldier instead of Adept for this last ME2 playthrough before ME3... I reset my powers and then i realize my squad mates powers are fucked up.

From the launch trailer thread:

dark10x said:
Anyone else notice how all of the trailers feature some object based motion blur? I was kind of expecting that in the demo and was disappointing to see that it was completely absent. Are they showing footage not representative of the actual game or was the demo simply based on an old build (which Bioware has a reputation for releasing)?

Noticed this too in the newer vids.

From the launch trailer thread:

Noticed this too in the newer vids.
just finished
WRz74.png

I just ran MassEffect3Config.exe
MUCBU.png

no I can't play the game either :(

Megasoum

Banned
So, anybody else who bought the N7 Digital Deluxe on Origin also got a normal ME3 edition ready to download?

I used to have the normal edition pre-ordered but I canceled the order to get the N7 instead but now I have a feeling that there was a bug in the system and they ended up giving me both versions...

So, anybody else who bought the N7 Digital Deluxe on Origin also got a normal ME3 edition ready to download?

I used to have the normal edition pre-ordered but I canceled the order to get the N7 instead but now I have a feeling that there was a bug in the system and they ended up giving me both versions...

Totally possible, they screwed me over with SWTOR in the same way. I pre-ordered ME3 from Amazon, though. No issues with the DD version there.

I never understood why the Quarians have opaque visors on their helmets. Is there gas swirling around inside to protect them from infection? Or do they just not like being looked at? I just think Bioware came up with the design and stuck with it and didn't have a logical reason for it. In a way that was clever. Look how many threads and posts there are wondering about what Tali looks like? Makes no sense though.

GSR

I pre-ordered ME3 from Amazon, though. No issues with the DD version there.

Likewise, just unzipped it to the Origin Games folder, registered my code, and was good to go. And buying through Amazon means that if I do ever lose my EA account, I can easily get another code and redownload the game.

Wiggum2007

I never understood why the Quarians have opaque visors on their helmets. Is there gas swirling around inside to protect them from infection? Or do they just not like being looked at? I just think Bioware came up with the design and stuck with it and didn't have a logical reason for it. In a way that was clever. Look how many threads and posts there are wondering about what Tali looks like? Makes no sense though.

Cuz it looks cool

Lakitu

st5fu
I watched the Gamespot playthrough... well the first 15 minutes of it. (It's 25 minutes worth of gameplay)

It was nice but
the large amount of auto dialogue really annoyed me...

Likewise, just unzipped it to the Origin Games folder, registered my code, and was good to go. And buying through Amazon means that if I do ever lose my EA account, I can easily get another code and redownload the game.

I bought it from Amazon too. What do you download from them? A RAR? I don't have Origin installed yet either. Should I do that before dl'ing from Amazon?

The_Monk

Fellow GAFfers what's your opinion regarding film grain option on the consoles for Mass Effect? What's the reason to enable it?

I ask, because when I was replaying ME2 but this time on PS3 I noticed film grain was On and when I turned it off it seemed much better.

Zeliard

They're just nutty hypochondriacs, that's all.

GSR

I bought it from Amazon too. What do you download from them? A RAR? I don't have Origin installed yet either. Should I do that before dl'ing from Amazon?

Amazon has a games downloader (very lightweight) that you install and it'll automatically start loading your most recent digital purchase. Once that's done, you can find the files downloaded in (by default) Public Documents/Amazon Games & Software. In ME3's case, the installer provided just installs Origin; however there's a 10GB "Mass Effect 3.zip" file that you can unzip to C:/Program Files/Origin Games/Mass Effect 3 rather than download through Origin. When booting up Origin, it'll prompt you for an ME3 code, then scan the directory and mark the game as installed.

If you got the Digital Deluxe Edition, "From Ashes" and the other content will install automatically once Origin's detected and validated ME3.

Alternatively, you can just install Origin, provide your ME3 key, and download it through that.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It is opaque because that is a space suit for all intents and purposes. A piece of clear lexan isn't going to do much to protect you from the types of radiation you're exposed to when not protected by a nice blanket of atmosphere.

MBison

This is probably an unanswerable question but any help would be appreciated.

I want the CE and hoping to get a 360 on launch day as I played both ME1 and ME2 on 360 but if I can't, I'll get the PC CE.

I have a 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 860 with a Radeon 5850 1 gig and 8 gigs of RAM. How will ME3 run do you think?

Thanks for any help.

GSR

I want the CE and hoping to get a 360 on launch day as I played both ME1 and ME2 on 360 but if I can't, I'll get the PC CE.

I have a 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 860 with a Radeon 5850 1 gig and 8 gigs of RAM. How will ME3 run do you think?

Thanks for any help.

Your best bet is to try the demo, but it sounds like you're in the clear. Recommended specs are 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo/4 GB RAM/Radeon 4850.

Derrick01

Banned

You might as well just download Origin and input the CD keys. It's a simpler process than dealing with Amazon, plus you're going to have to use Origin to play ME3 anyway so just get it out of the way now.

Thanks for any help.

Let me put it this way, the demo ran maxxed out at 1920 x 1080p and 30 - 40fps on a clapped out 6 year old core2duo with an equally clapped out 8800gts (old version) and only 2gbs of ram. I doubt you will have a problem running Mass Effect 3 maxxed out too.

On another note here is a video everyone can watch regardless of spoilers :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trieUMvubik

it's the latest Bioware pulse episode and basically follows recovery of the San Fransisco Space copies. I haven't watched it with sound but I don't believe there are spoilers in it.

Let me put it this way, the demo ran maxxed out at 1920 x 1080p and 30 - 40fps on a clapped out 6 year old core2duo with an equally clapped out 8800gts (old version) and only 2gbs of ram. I doubt you will have a problem running Mass Effect 3 maxxed out too.

On another note here is a video everyone can watch regardless of spoilers :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trieUMvubik

it's the latest Bioware pulse episode and basically follows recovery of the San Fransisco Space copies. I haven't watched it with sound but I don't believe there are spoilers in it.

Holy shit, was dat Fidel Castro helping his brother get Mass Effect 3. LOL

I don't know about hours, but I certainly need lots of stuff like that in my RPGs. There's no good reason why there can't be a healthy mixture of both world building and pew pew.

Of course. Balance is best.

My favorite combat moments in the Mass Effect franchise so far were always the ones when you'd be exploring the Citadel on a quest and then a couple of enemies would jump you. It felt so organic. You'd unholster your weapon, kill a few waves of enemies for a few minutes and you'd get your gunplay fix. Then you'd go right back to exploring the HUB and having conversations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB_-vI-tVi8&hd=1

^ Scenarios like this. My ideal Mass Effect would ditch the majority of traditional dungeons and keep the combat in the HUB worlds. Obviously, this wouldn't work for the epic universe spanning Reaper story. But it could potentially work for something smaller scale.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Whelp, the trailer spoiled at least one scenario I didn't expect. Should have known, but damn you BioWare.

Moaradin

I tried not to pay attention to any little details. Pretty much just turned my brain off and enjoyed so I didn't spoil anything.

Top Bottom