• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Speaking of preloads. Have they been disabled? According to the EA schedule the Australian preloads should have begun on Saturday but the option appears greyed out in Origin.

Staab

Can someone please confirm if the film grain effect is in game?
Not sure about in-game, but the windows config utility has these options :
me3config.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It means BioWare's PR was talking out of it's arse.

hlhbk

: / no mention of textures quality I wonder if that means they consider the games normal texture High-res the ones in the demo definitely weren't High-res.

There has never been texture packs for the ME games, and I wouldn't expect one for this one. The consoles have really held back the graphcis on this game.

There has never been texture packs for the ME games, and I wouldn't expect one for this one. The consoles have really held back the graphcis on this game.

There was a twitter post that said the game would have high-res textures at launch I don't have it so I can't post it, but I'm sure some one does. I mean its not the end of the world if the games doesn't have them, but man did Sheperad's alliance uniform bug me in the demo.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There was a twitter post that said the game would have high-res textures at launch I don't have it so I can't post it, but I'm sure some one does. I mean its not the end of the world if the games doesn't have them, but man did Sheperad's alliance uniform bug me in the demo.

Apparently they said the same thing for ME2. It was likely PR doing what PR does; marketing the games as the highest quality they can, regardless of any factual truth.

There were a lot of threads on the forums about it. Given BioWare's involvement in the community, I figure if it were true they'd have confirmed it long ago to subdue the complaints.

Dilly

Banned
Only thing that seems plausible is that the demo had lower-res textures than the full game. Or it's just PR talk.

Woo-Fu

Banned

The term "high-res textures" is ambiguous, which means it means whatever PR wants it to mean at any given point in time.

360 has always been the baseline for this series, people shouldn't expect anything more than that, even on PC. They can't be bothered with controller support do people really think they're going to create higher resolution versions of every asset in the game just for the PC version?

That said, I wouldn't use the lack of texture settings in the config app as proof there aren't going to be better textures. There are even settings in the demo that aren't in that config app so it is obviously not all-inclusive.

The term "high-res textures" is ambiguous, which means it means whatever PR wants it to mean at any given point in time.

360 has always been the baseline for this series, people shouldn't expect anything more than that, even on PC. They can't be bothered with controller support do people really think they're going to create higher resolution versions of every asset in the game just for the PC version?

I suspect that Bioware PR sees that supporting resolutions greater then 1280x720 as High-res textures. Which I'm aware is absurd, but I like to think them being ignorant is better then them being liars.

And no I don't expect Bioware to do that with the Mass Effect series there no precedent for it, but it would be nice. They did it for DA2, Crytek did it for Crysis 2, and Bethesda did it for Skyrim. Maybe they would do the same for this game. I mean they have better textures somewhere because you can see them in the pre-rendered cutscenes.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Wait a minute, what is this crap about 4 disc swaps in the first 10 hours? How the hell do you even design something like that?

Pretty simply. Say Earth is on Disc 1. Say that Destination X, which contains Widget Y, required for Quest Z is on Disc 2.

Game starts on Earth but you head out to X, you're going to need disc 2. You finish up there and head back to Earth, going to need Disc 1. But hey, there was a sidequest at X you forgot to finish, time to go back. All of a sudden you need Disc 2 again.

I would imagine that hub areas are typically duplicated on every disc in the set to minimize this. Perhaps in this case there wasn't enough room to do that without adding another disc to the game?

Long story short, 10 pounds of content in a 5-pound bag. Things might get a bit messy now and then.

I couldn't deal with ME1's incredibly crappy inventory design and game breakingly bad combat. I don't want to have to scroll through ten of the same armor in order to get to the one I want, and I felt like the combat didn't fully committ to what it was trying to be. I did like the story, though. Each area had a completely new and exciting scenario to deal with.

Moaradin

The combat in ME1 was truly awful. Good thing the story and introduction to the universe was so good. It's what makes me like the game almost as much as ME2. Almost.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I couldn't deal with ME1's incredibly crappy inventory design and game breakingly bad combat. I don't want to have to scroll through ten of the same armor in order to get to the one I want, and I felt like the combat didn't fully committ to what it was trying to be.

Instead of fixing the inventory design they just scrapped 99% of the inventory. I'm not really sure that was the optimal solution, at least not for loothounds like me. Hopefully they've found a happy medium for ME3.

Kem0sabe

I suspect that Bioware PR sees that supporting resolutions greater then 1280x720 as High-res textures. Which I'm aware is absurd, but I like to think them being ignorant is better then them being liars.

And no I don't expect Bioware to do that with the Mass Effect series there no precedent for it, but it would be nice. They did it for DA2, Crytek did it for Crysis 2, and Bethesda did it for Skyrim. Maybe they would do the same for this game. I mean they have better textures somewhere because you can see them in the pre-rendered cutscenes.

If im not mistaken, someone pointed out that the pc version´s texture file is about 500mb in size. I doubt the texture resolution is superior to the console version.

Dresden

Semantics. Good job trying to wittle me down to nothing more than a BioDrone, though.

I just point out one thing in ME1 that I was fond of--something that was emblematic of the greater freedom available in the game, along with all the jank that entailed--and here you are, being defensive for some reason. Lol.

I was a part of the conversation from before, and I was giving my side. Before you accuse people of being UMADBRO, please read the thread so you know the context.

Zen

Banned
Being reductive doesn't change the fact that he wasn't saying that you couldn't 'throw people up in the air and shoot them' in Mass Effect 2.

Instead of fixing the inventory design they just scrapped 99% of the inventory. I'm not really sure that was the optimal solution, at least not for loothounds like me. Hopefully they've found a happy medium for ME3.

The funny thing is that the inventory wouldn't have been hard to fix. Item stacking and auto sorting by type are rudimentary things that have been around well before Mass Effect 1, yet they weren't included. Another issue was how bringing up equipment would force you to omnigel only what was picked up, not giving you the option to omni gel anything in your inventory. Again that's an easy fix.

Not that being forced to omnigel mattered that much, since money was very nearly completely useless in Mass Effect 1, and the stores rarely had anything worth your time relative to cost in the early game, and performance boosts with whatever was in the store was fairly negligible by the late game.

But the granular nature of loot, and tweaking/optimizing was sorely missed in Mass Effect 2, so I really hope that there's something for ME3. Just put in inventory features that were in games from over a decade ago and you're good to go.

The funny thing was that for the first while at the start of the game I thought that Kaiden shouting it, since it frequently made little sense in context for some guy in a group of 15 to be shouting that about three people.

Sotha Sil

ME does not have the best background lines. But the dancing is amazing.

Per usual.

You still throw people into the air and shoot them when they are up there. It's pretty clear.
He was talking about Carnage, which is missing from ME2. Lift+Carnage was a fun combo. Not the same thing, really.

gogogow

While I do not disagree with that, but they could easily give PC owners more options to have better graphics. Look at DA2, that game had DX11 support and a highres texture pack. This game, nothing. I really wonder what the Mass Effect team does with the original textures. I mean, they have to downgrade the original highres textures to get to the console lowres textures, no? Why not include the orginal highres textures as a optional download, like DA2?

Top Bottom