• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

ced

What is with this disc swapping stuff? I had zero issues with it in ME2, is it different now? If I have to swap when doing side quests I'm going to be very pissed, might even go with the PS3 version.

This is why these review embargoes are complete BS, you don't find out these things until it's too late to change an order.

I was just looking at my account on Bioware Social Network when I noticed that the official soundtrack has been unlocked. If you purchased the PC digital deluxe edition and want to listen to the OST, it should be available for download now on the "your registered game content" page on BSN. The tracks are in .wav format and the total file size is 691 MB.

Lime

I was just looking at my account on Bioware Social Network when I noticed that the official soundtrack has been unlocked. If you purchased the PC digital deluxe edition and want to listen to the OST, it should be available for download now on the "your registered game content" page on BSN. The tracks are in .wav format and the total file size is 691 MB.

How many tracks are there? Is it just a couple of songs or is it the full OST? I fucking hate when you only get like a 5 or 6 "selections".

Wait? What the f... when did games stop support anti-aliasing?! FXAA is an abomination and shouldn't even exist as an official option in games. Dropping AA support is almost like if they suddenly decided to not support Gamepads.. oh, wait...

Bioware sure is fumbling a lot when it comes to features and details.
Blame consoles for that.

If possible could you tell us how many tracks are included in the soundtrack? And how many tracks Clint Mansell did.

Ammish

Banned
I'm hoping Mass Effect 3 will have a level like Haestrom in Mass Effect 2 (where you recruit Tali). In my opinion, that is the best world/level in the entire Mass Effect series.

How many tracks are there? Is it just a couple of songs or is it the full OST? I fucking hate when you only get like a 5 or 6 "selections".

I just checked, and the OST includes 25 tracks. Not bad at all. But only 2 of the tracks credit Clint Mansell as a contributing artist.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
From Ashes is up for purchased from the BSN too. 800 BW Points.

Wait? What the f... when did games stop support anti-aliasing?! FXAA is an abomination and shouldn't even exist as an official option in games. Dropping AA support is almost like if they suddenly decided to not support Gamepads.. oh, wait...

Bioware sure is fumbling a lot when it comes to features and details.

You can't drop something you never had.

I am not sure whether to post this, in case it leads to those wishing to avoid spoilers into temptation. But some might want to see it, a user has started uploading the story without all the combat (ie all the cutscenes and narratives). So if you want to check out the story then head over to :-

http://www.youtube.com/user/Y2JArmyofficial

So far he has uploaded right up to the
meeting with the Citadel Council

The lip synching is a bit crap and so is the video quality but he has enabled subtitles which are about readable.

big_z

how is the lighting in the final version? are the blacks still crushed to shit like in the demo or did they fix that. also can you punch chobot?

What is with this disc swapping stuff? I had zero issues with it in ME2, is it different now? If I have to swap when doing side quests I'm going to be very pissed, might even go with the PS3 version.

This is why these review embargoes are complete BS, you don't find out these things until it's too late to change an order.

im guessing there wasnt enough space on the second disc to clone over all the areas you need to revisit. still it doesnt make any sense that you would have to swap discs if you install the game. bioware better patch that shit asap if thats the case.

I am not sure whether to post this, in case it leads to those wishing to avoid spoilers into temptation. But some might want to see it, a user has started uploading the story without all the combat (ie all the cutscenes and narratives). So if you want to check out the story then head over to :-

http://www.youtube.com/user/Y2JArmyofficial

So far he has uploaded right up to the
meeting with the Citadel Council

The lip synching is a bit crap and so is the video quality but he has enabled subtitles which are about readable.

You shouldn't have done that. I won't be able to resist.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I honestly cant think of a single UE3 game ported to PC that doesn't support AA except for the Mass Effect series. I'm sure there's some, especially very early UE3 games but I can't think of any at all, especially modern ones. It's totally baffling.

spekkeh

Banned
No... blame the developers for that. Piss poor ports are just that... pissing on the pc player base, nothing more, nothing less.

I never get this, why is getting the exact same game 'pissing on the pc player base', that's some serious entitlement issues right there.

Lunchbox

Banned
that arrival dlc for mass2 was so shit

what genius thought having no teammates and room after room of dudes shooting was what people wanted from masseffect. wasted my points on it after getting hyped for this

Zeliard

I honestly cant think of a single UE3 game ported to PC that doesn't support AA except for the Mass Effect series. I'm sure there's some, especially very early UE3 games but I can't think of any at all, especially modern ones. It's totally baffling.

It's more common with games that use deferred rendering, like Dead Space.

I never get this, why is getting the exact same game 'pissing on the pc player base', that's some serious entitlement issues right there.

It isn't about "entitlement" it is about customers expecting a product appropriate to their platform. You say "why is getting the exact same game pissing on the PC player base". In that case why isn't the PS3 version on 2 DVD discs then ? If we are supposed to all get the "same" product then surely PS3 and PC users should have to put up with disc swapping too then.

It is the same with the PC there are extra features of the PC platform that would not take a hell of a lot of work for Bioware to take advantage off, just like they take advantage of the PS3's blu-ray drive to avoid disc swapping. But they don't bother they give PC games a quick shoddy port and charge full price for it.

Shepard

Yeah, at least we can force it without much hassle.

With no gamepad support it's not entirely the "exact same game"
Also some of the missing features are standard on pc and not implementing them was pure laziness on biowares part. No holster animation because of RAM limitations, seriously?

X-Frame

A always selected dialogue.

"X" would do it too, which is what made it very aggravating when you were trying to skip ahead fast and then accidentally chose a dialogue option. It was like that in 1 and 2 so I had faith they would change that in 3 .. but who knows.

rozay

Banned
Doesn't seem like the DLC has made it up to XBL yet. Hoping tomorrow's the day it happens again.

My search just now lead me to a series of questionable videos from questionable people uploaded today with links to a shady site with a "survey" which would net you a free code lol

jonah777

Conundrum: play PC version release day without mic and awkward kb+mouse controls (to me) or wait for Xbox 360 version to be shipped a few days later? Although the PC version is superior in almost every aspect, the two issues mentioned above are pretty game breaking for me at this point. What to do, GAF? /firstworldproblems

"X" would do it too, which is what made it very aggravating when you were trying to skip ahead fast and then accidentally chose a dialogue option. It was like that in 1 and 2 so I had faith they would change that in 3 .. but who knows.

I always found that really aggravating as well; in the past you might have argued that this was done this way as some sort of punitive measure, as Bioware didn't want you skipping their carefully crafted dialogue or something. But now we live in the age of action mode so that already flimsy notion is pretty well gutted.

With no gamepad support it's not entirely the "exact same game"
Also some of the missing features are standard on pc and not implementing them was pure laziness on biowares part. No holster animation because of RAM limitations, seriously?

Gotta have room for those kinect commands!

Shepard

Conundrum: play PC version release day without mic and awkward kb+mouse controls (to me) or wait for Xbox 360 version to be shipped a few days later? Although the PC version is superior in almost every aspect, the two issues mentioned above are pretty game breaking for me at this point. What to do, GAF? /firstworldproblems

I'll never get people who prefer to play a "shooter" game with a gamepad, but that's just me. Imo, go with PC.

I know, the original textures must be 1000000x1000000, but if DA2 had highres textures, I don't see how it's not possible with the ME series. Again, they had DX11 support and highres textures in DA2, that "no one" cared about/"everyone hates". It's just that they don't want to do it, though i'm sure people have complained since the first ME.

I think its more that with DA2, slapping on the DX11 features was a relatively cheap way to make the claim that DA2 wasn't forgetting about PC players, considering Origins was designed for PC first and foremost and likely did pretty well in sales as a PC game. Then you had DA2 where they axed PC only features like mod support in updating the toolset or the isometric zoomed out tactical camera.

The DX11 stuff in DA2 doesn't even work that well and it doesn't make the game look that much better, IMO. The tesselation looks wonky since it makes the ground clip through your feet, the depth of field is way overdone and its a performance hog for not much gain visually.

Since ME has always been a console first game, I'd guess thats in part why they won't have a proper high res texture option.

rhino4evr

Is there a place to download game saves for Ps3? I am really mad that I have to start ME3 without my level 30 Shep. Damn red ringed Xbox

jonah777

I'll never get people who prefer to play a "shooter" game with a gamepad, but that's just me. Imo, go with PC.

I'm fairly new to PC, so I'm not quite there yet with the controls (moreso keyboard), but I can see how it can be more precise. With a controller, I'm able to pull off what I need to fairly easily. I really hope they implement controller support for PC somewhere down the line.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

You could go buy a mic, and then learn to use KBM, because they're superior to a controller.

I'm fairly new to PC, so I'm not quite there yet with the controls (moreso keyboard), but I can see how it can be more precise. With a controller, I'm able to pull off what I need to fairly easily. I really hope they implement controller support for PC somewhere down the line.

Just spend the time awkwardly fumbling around with it until you learn. It's infinitely better. You'll enjoy shooters a lot more.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Isn't there 3rd party tools that allow gamepad support for games like the ME ones on PC?

Although i have no idea how good or bad they are.

Derrick01

Banned

I've been a PC gamer for the last 15 months and I still hate using mouse and keyboard for pretty much anything other than RTS. I've accepted that it will never be a comfortable alternative to me which makes Bioware's stubbornness even more frustrating. They add all this kinect BS and all of this useless DLC but can't bother to take an hour and put pad support in like every other developer.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Dev realities.

EatChildren

A port is a port, and no matter the platform, you expect that port to be accustomed to your platform of you choice. PS3 owners would be cranky of their version of the game didn't have any, say, aiming sensitivity options, because the game was built for the 360 and the 360 pad. Same goes for networking; no voice chat on one platform because it was built for the other.

Even though I'm a high end PC gamer through and through, I can be pretty forgiving with PC releases because I've become so numbed from console quality graphics. But that being said, in terms of tweakable options and graphical enhancements, the Mass Effect series is frankly ludicrously shit in comparison to a wealth of other PC ports running on the exact same engine. Outside of number keys for powers, it's hard to believe BioWare gives a single shit about their Mass Effect PC ports beyond just making sure they work.

This is worsened by other developers putting in significantly more effort into their PC ports, or farming out the PC port to someone who can handle it. Look at Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The original UI was, as far as I'm aware, built for control pads, but the final mouse + keyboard UI is incredible. Hotkeys, mouse wheel, etc. It all works, and beautifully. It even has controller support if you want it. Hell, Demiurge Studios' original UI for Mass Effect PC has more features (eg menu hotkeys) than BioWare's internal work on ME2/ME3 PC. That's really saying something.

It's one thing to bitch about the game not having some uncommon and unexpected shading algorithm that only a minority percentage of PC players could even use (though it's always nice to have the option :p), but most people just want a bit more goddamn effort into making the PC version feel like it was made for PC.

quaere

That's right, you will swap to do side quests then.swap back to continue the main mission. Depending on what you decide to do you could start having to swap from very early in the game.

X-Frame

I always found that really aggravating as well; in the past you might have argued that this was done this way as some sort of punitive measure, as Bioware didn't want you skipping their carefully crafted dialogue or something. But now we live in the age of action mode so that already flimsy notion is pretty well gutted.

You're right, but I will never play Action Mode. I want the best of both worlds when I am on my 5th play through and heard the convo's already so I just want to skip until I get to select my dialogue.

jonah777

I've been a PC gamer for the last 15 months and I still hate using mouse and keyboard for pretty much anything other than RTS. I've accepted that it will never be a comfortable alternative to me which makes Bioware's stubbornness even more frustrating. They add all this kinect BS and all of this useless DLC but can't bother to take an hour and put pad support in like every other developer.

Not quite as long for me... but I have a feeling I'll end up with the same issues. :/ I use a trackball mouse with godly precision, so I'm OK there. It's the keyboard that will take getting used to. I'm going to put some more time into the PC demo... hopefully I get acclimated to it soon.

really? I didn't get that from the demo.

Because...none of that is present in the demo, and how would they portray that in the demo? Every single fan of this series knows the meat and potatoes of this game will be in the rest of the whole journey, not in the 20 minute tutorial intro.

smh

Top Bottom