• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Haha!

Victory for late adopters!

By the time I play the 360 version each disks missions will be completely and meticulously mapped out. I'll be able to play it without switching much!

The disc-swapping thing is really starting to turn me off...

Anyone know if/when the full game will hit the XBL Marketplace? I'll gladly forfeit my right to trade or sell the game if it means no disc swapping.

Moaradin

Well, it's not exactly adding. It's removing. You remove dialogue lines, you remove choices. It's just Uncharted in space if you remove that stuff.

And that's completely fine as it's a separate mode all together. If they did that stuff in RPG mode, then we can complain.

Also why can't the 360 prevent disk swapping if you install the game? Sounds counter productive to me.

Anyone know if/when the full game will hit the XBL Marketplace? I'll gladly forfeit my right to trade or sell the game if it means no disc swapping.
Probably never. ME2 isnt on there, I dont think any multidisc game is.

~Kinggi~

Banned

Honestly downloading full games off the 360 marketplace seems like a very bad idea. I doubt Microsoft has intentions to keep that content up like a Steam service when next gens come around.

We will have to wait and see. I stick to retail discs when it comes to the consoles.

Sai

Can confirm the disc swapping on 360 is terrible. Some sections like the Citadel are doubled so you can play with both, but the missions are one or the other.
This sounds horrible.

I wouldn't mind it so much if I knew if it was getting the Games on Demand treatment, but seeing as how ME2 hasn't made it in because of some policy issue I still don't know about... :(

And that's completely fine as it's a separate mode all together. If they did that stuff in RPG mode, then we can complain.

Also why can't the 360 prevent disk swapping if you install the game? Sounds counter productive to me.

Because psychotic paranoia.

They can't allow it because your friend might have bought it, let you copy a disc like he did and hand you over the second!

That's a whole $60 they might potentially not get!*

*They don't get $60 anyway.

Moaradin

They can make it so you still need disk 1 in the drive. Just have it so you don't need to disk swap.

Seems like you get a shitty experience with all the versions, be it through origin, disc swapping or crummy performance.

I don't see how origin effects the game experience at all, and disk swapping is shitty no matter what game, but it's very minor in the overall experience.

quaere

Because psychotic paranoia.

They can't allow it because your friend might have bought it, let you copy a disc like he did and hand you over the second!

That's a whole $60 they might potentially not get!*

*They don't get $60 anyway.
They could have just said that if you want to install and avoid disc swapping you must have a certain disc in at all times. That would prevent any I keep disc 1 and you keep disc 2 and we both play type of thing.

Dresden

It's odd because the 4cd set for Baldur's Gate 2, after a full install, just required you to keep disc 2 in the computah from what I can remember. Dunno why they couldn't do the same here.

well, fuck.

someone needs to start a petition to pressure EA/Bioware into patching gamepad support into the PC version. I know I can't be the only person frustrated by this shit...
Honestly, I'll have to see for myself.

If it irritates me that badly I'll just double or triple dip.

I already have for ME1.

quaere

Also annoying - when it asks you to swap you can't say never mind now I don't want to do that mission anymore. You have to swap.

The game is great otherwise though.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Seems like you get a shitty experience with all the versions, be it through origin, disc swapping or crummy performance.

It's all about the retail/physical PC version :)

... Mandatory Origin launch is lame, though.

EDIT: Unless you were talking about lack of gamepad support, then yeah, I agree. Though I played ME2 with KB/M no problem.

It might be messy, but I honestly don't see why they don't do something as simple as label each area as Disc 1 and Disc 2. It might break the fourth wall a little... but if they have to do it this way because of limited space, put in the few minutes necessary to not screw over those that play your damn games.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I just played the demo.

This has become a definite skip. I might watch a LP in the future.

Well, I just played the demo.

This has become a definite skip. I might watch a LP in the future.
I'm still buying.

But it will be months from now when it's cheap.

Hoping it hits $30 around my birthday. That would be a nice gift.

The only games I seem to pay full price for are Nintendo games. And that's mainly because I know they won't be cheaper any time soon.

Pollux

Anyone ditch their LI from ME1 to romance Jack? I'm tempted...

But then there's Miranda...

Decisions...Decisions...

Decisions...Decisions...

My ME1 romance was with Liara. Then I hooked up with Miranda in ME2. But then LotSB was released and it seems I made up with Liara. So I'm not sure what's going to happen in ME3.

Decisions...Decisions...
Miranda has issues, Jack is broken (though she can get better), and Tali is young and kind of naive.

Two of them have interesting romantic progression. Tali just because of the frailty and earnest angle. Jack because the big romantic scene features no sex. The one that thinks she's some special kind of crazy realizes her crazy was destructive, not exactly special.

My ME1 romance was with Liara. Then I hooked up with Miranda in ME2. But then LotSB was released and it seems I made up with Liara. So I'm not sure what's going to happen in ME3.
This is exactly how mine played out

Also, I can deal with disc swaps as long as it either tells me before I try to do a mission I need to before selecting it, or if it is needed I get the option to cancel going to the mission and continue doing stuff on the disc currently in the system

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mind sharing your thoughts on why you're not interested? I take you weren't a fan of the previous games either?
I liked the general tone of ME1 a lot, it had problems, but it had such an amazing sense of authorship and vision.

I liked ME2 for different reasons. It lost some of ME1's vibe, but I really enjoyed the character-focus. I could take or leave the combat. The combat was better than ME1, I guess.

The demo was just... poor. Embarrassingly bad intro, especially next to ME2's. No sense of scale, urgency or tension regarding an event that the entire series has essentially been a lead up to. Insulting attempt to make the event feel meaningful with the half-assed child thing. Questionable dialogue. I only made it ten minutes into the second combat level before al+f4ing out.

There was literally nothing about the demo that reminded me of the things I liked about Mass Effect in the first place. It was just a crappy version of a cover-shooter mixed with some mediocre dialogue.

quaere

Mind sharing your thoughts on why you're not interested? I take you weren't a fan of the previous games either?

I really don't see anyone who liked 2 disliking this game. If you liked 1 but disliked 2, well I can't speak to that cause I thought 2 was great.
The demo was just... poor. Embarrassingly bad intro, especially next to ME2's.
The first level of the demo is NOT representative of the game. Everything in ME2 is still here.

Sober

Well, it's not exactly adding. It's removing. You remove dialogue lines, you remove choices. It's just Uncharted in space if you remove that stuff.
In a few months down the line, I'm pretty sure someone will say Action mode's choices are canon.

I liked how in LotSB if you dumped her for Tali, Liara was like "uhh yeah, it was pretty obvious Tali wanted your junk from day one" and Shepard's all "why didn't anyone point this out to me?!"

I liked the general tone of ME1 a lot, it had problems, but it had such an amazing sense of authorship and vision.

I liked ME2 for different reasons. It lost some of ME1's vibe, but I really enjoyed the character-focus. I could take or leave the combat. The combat was better than ME1, I guess.

The demo was just... poor. Embarrassingly bad intro, especially next to ME2's. No sense of scale, urgency or tension regarding an event that the entire series has essentially been a lead up to. Insulting attempt to make the event feel meaningful with the half-assed child thing. Questionable dialogue. I only made it ten minutes into the second combat level before al+f4ing out.

There was literally nothing about the demo that reminded me of the things I liked about Mass Effect in the first place. It was just a crappy version of a cover-shooter mixed with some mediocre dialogue.

The demo cut out a whole "walk around talking to people" section between landing on the salarian planet and fighting off the cerberus. Not sure why they would do that since it was in the leaked beta.

Still pumped for the game, but I agree with this. I was/am hoping the opening was altered for the demo and it will build a bit more than just launching right off the bat 'cause yeah, I didn't feel the impact of it all either.

In a few months down the line, I'm pretty sure someone will say Action mode's choices are canon.

I would be pissed if they ever established parts as canon or not in the video games. And, I'm sure they never will.

DTKT

I liked how in LotSB if you dumped her for Tali, Liara was like "uhh yeah, it was pretty obvious Tali wanted your junk from day one" and Shepard's all "why didn't anyone point this out to me?!"

The demo cut out a whole "walk around talking to people" section between landing on the salarian planet and fighting off the cerberus. Not sure why they would do that since it was in the leaked beta.

Probably because they wanted to emphasize the "action" part of Mass Effect. For now, they have the previous fanbase, what they want is that juicy COD/GOW market.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Oh God, the atmosphere in this game is going to be spectacular. Every minute you are playing you know people you care for are going to die. I will cry manly tears if some of my bros don't make it.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Oh God, the atmosphere in this game is going to be spectacular. Every minute you are playing you know people you care for are going to die. I will cry manly tears if some of my bros don't make it.

really? I didn't get that from the demo.

So glad to see a proper voice of reason in this thread! I agree wholeheartedly with most everything here, though I personally thought the character-focus of ME2 was, well, unfocused and generally done poorly.

...and I disagree with everything here and kinda snicker a bit at the cognitive dissonance needed to create and sustain it. But hey to each his own, right? You're everything Bioware wants from their customers, I guess. They must be doing something right for you, for which I'm glad, I suppose.

UGH... I have such mixed, mixed feelings about this game.

Looks like ME3 has Avatar Awards! An
N7 helmet
and an
Omniblade
. I don't know about you guys, but I love it when games have avatar unlocks.

Are you me?

Top Bottom