• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

XAL

Is the Kingdoms of Amalur demo not allowing anyone to connect to EA Online?

Trying to get these unlocks for me3 but....

Wiggum2007

Maybe they did the earlier tracks, because those definitely have some. But the more 'epic' tracks later on pretty much ditch them entirely.

Definitely got less synth-y in the later tracks, but also a lot of those didn't sound like combat tracks which is where I'd expect to have more synth, and if ME1 and 2 are anything to go by there'll be plenty of tracks not on the OST.

rozay

Banned
Does anyone know of any spots in Orange County, CA that are selling early?

For some reason it seems like those "sell early" mistakes never happen here, also it seems like people here have too much money and things almost always sell out.

Where are all these rich people at, and why are they buying my games up....for their kids?

if I see an 8 year old walking around with an N7 copy of Mass Effect i'm gonna go crazy.

Going to try to hit up Walmart at 12:00 and Best Buy at 10 am and see if I can get lucky.
there was someone earlier in the thread telling SoCal gaffers to PM him but the place might not have been in your area.

i-Lo

It seems incredibly random and arbitrary and I don't even really understand what causes some of them to expire or not, because I have had some fail even without progressing to the next major story point. What is also a little frustrating is that you are picking up sidequests and side missions at an almost overwhelming rate some times. And a lot of these aren't very interesting (though there have been a couple that I've really enjoyed). With that said, not all of them are timed. I would say the majority of them are safe to store, as long as you don't progress to far forward in the main story.

So far its random as hell. You can bank some and not others, you have super long period of time and then for others a very short period of time, and others have no period of time. Its really pretty scatter brained. If you are like me and enjoy the world, you will want to do them all. If that's you, then I suggest heading out to do them.

But you get them fast. So fast that I got one tried to leave and by the time I was back at my ship I had five random other quests that I didn't even hear random dialogue or anything for. The background scattered vocals of the game gives you the sidequests and it can result in a serious overload even while just trying to escape.

Sounds like (cheap or not) method of instilling the importance of replaying the campaign.

In the end, is there are limit to how many N7 missions must be completed to reach the best ending?

But you get them fast. So fast that I got one tried to leave and by the time I was back at my ship I had five random other quests that I didn't even hear random dialogue or anything for. The background scattered vocals of the game gives you the sidequests and it can result in a serious overload even while just trying to escape.

That sounds stupid. Nothing that would keep me away from a game or anything. But, what a dumb idea to give you sidequests just from walking by and hearing someone talking, especially if any of those get timers.

Karak

Does anyone know of any spots in Orange County, CA that are selling early?

For some reason it seems like those "sell early" mistakes never happen here, also it seems like people here have too much money and things almost always sell out.

Where are all these rich people at, and why are they buying my games up....for their kids?

if I see an 8 year old walking around with an N7 copy of Mass Effect i'm gonna go crazy.

Going to try to hit up Walmart at 12:00 and Best Buy at 10 am and see if I can get lucky.

Are their Fred Meyer there? They sell early always.

Definitely got less synth-y in the later tracks, but also a lot of those didn't sound like combat tracks which is where I'd expect to have more synth, and if ME1 and 2 are anything to go by there'll be plenty of tracks not on the OST.

That's true. I'd kill for a 'complete collection' OST of both ME1 and 2. I tried making one for both by using the game files, got a few tracks done but ultimately gave up because it was too much work. I still have some tracks on my YouTube page for ME2, though.

The release of the DLC and additional soundtracks for ME2 was pretty cool, but those additional ones really should've been in there from the start.

That sounds stupid. Nothing that would keep me away from a game or anything. But, what a dumb idea to give you sidequests just from walking by and hearing someone talking, especially if any of those get timers.

that's how you get most side quests in this game now. i got about 10 fetch quests in the citadel just by walking around. i think it will be love/hate for most people.

Dany

Banned
edward_norton_angry_laptop_gif.gif

I need to stop checking. It isn't going to update. :(

derFeef

To me that's great. If you are an explorer and listen to every NPC dialogue (I do that all the time), you are getting rewarded for that.

The missions that tie directly into the main story arc have a great feel to them. I think LotSB is pretty unique in its feel (even within the previous ME games), but there are several missions that capture the same sort of feeling (though not quite getting to LotSB levels yet). There are also several missions that are really in depth in the combination of both explorations sections (with dialog) and combat sections and span multiple locations (not just the same 'hub').

That sounds amazing, thank you very much!

rakhir

Seriously contemplating using a VPN tomorrow to unlock my Origin copy early, but the last thing I want is too piss off EA and bugger up my account.
Did they ban people for doing that before though?
I remember i unlocked my dragon age 2 earlier, though that wasn't an origin game.

haikira

Can someone be kind enough to explain how indepth the opening interactive comic is for the game? More specifically, what choices it allows you to pick and how it handles the suicide mission.

sam27368

Banned
Hey guys,
It's quite hard to read through this thread and follow the opinions. For those who have it - could someone please summarize the best/worst factors of the game? Also, is it a worthy successor? Does it have the same epic feel as the other two?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Managed to get in contact with the guy living in the flat my copy of ME3 from ShopTo is going too, he took my number and said he would text me when it arrived so I could pick it up, so hopefully it all goes well.

I said to my gf before going in that whoever lived there had a Dalek in their window so they will hopefully be cool, lol, will have to get him a bottle of wine or something.

scarybore

Did they ban people for doing that before though?
I remember i unlocked my dragon age 2 earlier, though that wasn't an origin game.

Supposedly not with other Origin titles, but I would hate for EA to suddenly give a damn after I do it for the first time. :p I'm going to wait a few hours and if no one has any problems, then I'll give it a go as waiting for Friday will be maddening.

As for the soundtrack, it's nice for what it is but I can't say I prefer any of it to my favourites from the first two soundtracks. Hulick has done a pretty solid job though.

Shepard

Just reviewed my ME2 perfect save. Lvl 30 Vanguard, 100% galaxy exploration, all techs and upgrades researched, no missions left, 47 hours playthrough. Hope I enjoy ME3 just as much.

FHIZ

So, I just had a major scare. I was thinking "you know, I never played any of the DLC for Mass Effect 2, maybe I'll buy a used copy and burn through that today and tomorrow." But then I thought the game might be on demand in the XBL market place. Fast forward to me looking for my Mass Effect 2 game save, just to be sure...

It's not there.

Late last year, my 360 started weirding the hell out, so I had to get a new one, and I managed to transfer all my data to a harddrive so I could keep all my stuff when I returned it to Costco (really laxed return policy, just needed to have everything in the box.) So naturally, when I got a new system, I transfered all my stuff back.

So now I'm thinking "shit, shit, shit, the saves were one of those things that inexplicably can't be transfered and it's still on my old hdd in god knows where"

I start freaking out, looking on two old hdd's I had laying around and it was no where. I can literally feel my heart pounding at this point, thinking "after five years, I lose it all like that"

THEN, I remember, the night my old 360 originally started weirding out on me, I went out for dinner and got a bit drunk, came back and had a few more drinks. During that night, I had the drunken foresight to think "man, Mass Effect 3 in a few months, I need to make sure that save is off this harddrive" and I moved it to a thumb stick.

Spend about five minutes looking for said thumb stick, plug it in, and HUZZAH! My vanilla soldier Shepard with a perfect ending to 2 is still there Yeah, he looks standard, and just shoots stuff primarily, but damn it, he's MY Sheppard.

Moral of the story, drink alcohol, it gives you really good ideas sometimes, just make sure to attempt to write them down or something.

Anyways... Mass Effect 2 dlc, what is worth playing? I hear Shadow Broker was the best, what was the general conclusion on the other stuff?

Derrick01

Banned
To me that's great. If you are an explorer and listen to every NPC dialogue (I do that all the time), you are getting rewarded for that.

I'm ok with some of that but an over-reliance on just walking by people and picking up quests is bad and lazy writing. It's a way to give you quests without designing actual conversations to have with people, and it's hard to care about the quests if it's just someone going "oh I forgot my wallet at the store!" and that's all there is.

But it can be kind of neat when used sparingly. Like in Oblivion I picked up a couple of conversation topics by overhearing other people talking, but I had to ask about that topic to other people to get further leads on a quest.

Sai

Anyways... Mass Effect 2 dlc, what is worth playing? I hear Shadow Broker was the best, what was the general conclusion on the other stuff?
Shadow Broker
Kasumi
Overlord
Arrival

In that order. :D

[EDIT] - Actually, since you've already beaten the game, you wouldn't have much need for Kasumi, would you? Swap that with Overlord then.

DaBuddaDa

Overlord - Skip it.

Kasumi - Skip it.

Lair of the Shadow Broker - Essential.

Arrival - Sets up aspects of ME3: recommended if you're jumping right into ME3 after.

DTKT

Overlord - Skip it.

Kasumi - Skip it.

Arrival - Sets up aspects of ME3: recommended if you're jumping right into ME3 after.

I would skip Arrival. It's really rather meaningless when you can just read a 2 line summary. Plus, it's not even a good piece of DLC if you like combat. Don't buy it.

I think play Shadow Broker and Kasumi. Kasumi is a gread character mission and the character quite cool. I think the graybox could be a part of a sidequest in ME 3 depending on your choice at the end. in general... many people really like Kasumi but there is unfortunatly no romance option for her :(

Derrick01

Banned
Overlord - Skip it.

Kasumi - Skip it.

Considering that they skip the trial I would say Arrival isn't necessary at all, probably even less so than Kasumi because at least Kasumi will likely make an appearance somewhere if she lived.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Regardless of it's reputed integration into ME3's introduction, there's no way in hell I'd rank Arrival above Overlord, nor Kasumi. Shadow Broker is the only necessity, but Overlord is excellent too. Kasumi is fun, but extremely short and, since you're paying for a new character and weapon, has value for moment directly proportional to how often you'll use her outside of her mission. If you've beaten the game, her value decreases.

Arrival is poo.

rozay

Banned
Considering that they skip the trial I would say Arrival isn't necessary at all, probably even less so than Kasumi because at least Kasumi will likely make an appearance somewhere if she lived.
Yeah this.

It's possible both DLC characters have their own missions, I feel like that's a better draw than all arrival can really give (changed dialogue possibly)

CEs are going on ebay for $150. Should I do it? :/

Overlord was decent as well, but if you have to pick one dlc shadow broker is best one for sure. Arrival is extremely short has like two story beats in it I don't know what playing it does to an import it could do a lot or could do nothing. I personally feel you are better of reading what happens in it on the wiki. What Kasumi's DLC does is interesting, but also fairly short and fairly meaningless I suspect.

Carcetti

Shadow Broker - Excellent writing, great setpieces and extra info on your squaddies
Kasumi - Be the 'space James Bond' and have a few fights, good new squadmember. Femshep gets a great new dress.
Overlord - The only DLC where the new tank is not absolute garbage, but it's a bit too long
Arrival - Absolute shite. Tight corridors, bad fights, takes away choices from Shepard.

I would skip Arrival. It's really rather meaningless when you can just read a 2 line summary. Plus, it's not even a good piece of DLC if you like combat. Don't buy it.

Are you guys saying this because you know it for a fact or is this just an assumption you are making because of the demo?

Yeah this.

It's possible both DLC characters have their own missions, I feel like that's a better draw than all arrival can really give (changed dialogue possibly)

CEs are going on ebay for $150. Should I do it? :/

I'd wait inevitably somebody is either going to have preordered and forgot or the prices will eventually go down on ebay for used ones. Just keep an eye out for it and you should be available to find a copy for at least MSRP.

rozay

Banned
I'd wait inevitably somebody is either going to have preordered and forgot or the prices will eventually go down on ebay for used ones. Just keep an eye out for it and you should be available to find a copy for at least MSRP.
I'd be selling mine. I'm not that crazy :p

The problem with asking for DLC opinions now is it all depends on how much you really plan on playing ME2-if you're spending $7.50 each and will only play it once for an ME3 import I don't really think it's worth it, at least until we know if there are actual effects in the story.

Green Yoshi

I played every ME 1+2 DLC, except Pinnacle Station (ME1) and Arrival (ME2). In my opinion Lair of the Shadow Broker is the best DLC, but I also liked the Kasumi DLC because of the beautiful environment and the dress you get for completing it. Overlord was also interesting and had better driving parts than the Firewalker DLC.

Will you see Zaed and Kasumi in ME3, if you played with them in ME2?

DTKT

Are you guys saying this because you know it for a fact or is this just an assumption you are making because of the demo?

Facts. It really is the worst of all the DLC released for ME2.

I played every ME 1+2 DLC, except Pinnacle Station (ME1) and Arrival (ME2). In my opinion Lair of the Shadow Broker is the best DLC, but I also liked the Kasumi DLC because of the beautiful environment and the dress you get for completing it. Overlord was also interesting and had better driving parts than the Firewalker DLC.

Will you see Zaed and Kasumi in ME3, if you played with them in ME2?

The dress by itself wasn't bad but the Maleshep animations that Femshep does in the dress make it a joke.

Remmy2112

People have already chimed in in detail on Shadow Broker, Arrival, and Kasumi so I will skip repeating that and talk about Overlord. While it is a little long and (presumably) doesn't have much impact on overall story of ME it does tell an excellent tale and makes itself feel like a significant sidequest, almost like one you'd think was built into the game proper, rather than as DLC. Though that fact may offend some in itself.

Top Bottom