• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Karak

I went from being absolutely stoked to get this game to wondering if I should just sell it shrink wrapped when my preorder shows up. It's definitely a knee-jerk reaction but I feel like I'll be playing, "just another" TPS with a few extra bells and whistles. Also can't shake the feeling that integrating MP to improve the game's longevity may have cost them the single player experience. It's as if they were so intent on making game's appeal universal and attain record breaking sales (for ME franchise) and profits that they stripped the game of its original essence.

I certainly hope it sells like hotcakes and has tons of success because, as I stated before, its my favorite series, even if this one is held back by some decisions they made. I would love for them to have insane success because it just means more games in a universe I adore.

But I never thought about the MP impacting SP. Could be that. Feels to me that it has more to do with the 3 choices of gameplay style. It didn't make a massive amount of sense when I saw it originally announced but it seems to make even less after playing it.

...We aren't talking about those. We are talking about simply even talking choices. Not "Go and die for me" choices:) Cause I agree with you there. Hopefully they begin to handle those decisions better in the narrative beyond what has occurred so far.

Don't we already know whether or not they are flagged for carry over from save editors?

I would imagine it's easier for Bioware to work a limited range of choices, as opposed to writing lines for every possibility.

Playing ME1 and ME2 after one another, I have to say that ME2 does have far more writing on each possible case per character. ME1 has no problem throwing lines about "maybe the prothean build it" AFTER going to Virmire and the Sovereign reveal.
I can certainly see why the ME2 setup was appealing to the designers.

Karak

To be fair, bugs and bad dialog would make it more like Space Skyrim.

:p

Hahahaha good point.

I don't think it needs clarification but just in case. My point for Space Skyrim simply had to do with 1 connected environment and 100% nothing else. Just my own desire to have things a bit more connected then they are. Who knows maybe after 7.5 hours the bugs go away and their is more actual roleplaying. It supposed to be a good long game and that could happen.

derFeef

I went from being absolutely stoked to get this game to wondering if I should just sell it shrink wrapped when my preorder shows up. It's definitely a knee-jerk reaction but I feel like I'll be playing, "just another" TPS with a few extra bells and whistles. Also can't shake the feeling that integrating MP to improve the game's longevity may have cost them the single player experience. It's as if they were so intent on making game's appeal universal and attain record breaking sales (for ME franchise) and profits that they stripped the game of its original essence.

Do it, then watch this thread closely and see us enjoy the game. I am sure you feel good about it, then.

LuchaShaq

Banned
universe I adore.

This is why I love the series.

I don't care if they make a full on fps because they want to make shooters next, or make an old school adventure game or anywhere inbetween.

Just give me more of the universe even if it's prequel style. First contact war, rachni wars, Wrex pre mass effect just traveling the galaxy murdering fools.

It's my favorite or second favorite fictional universe even when you include Tv/books/movies.

Hahahaha good point.

I don't think it needs clarification but just in case. My point for Space Skyrim simply had to do with 1 connected environment and 100% nothing else. Just my own desire to have things a bit more connected then they are. Who knows maybe after 7.5 hours the bugs go away and their is more actual roleplaying. It supposed to be a good long game and that could happen.

Space Skyrim?

i-Lo

Do it, then watch this thread closely and see us enjoy the game. I am sure you feel good about it, then.

Nevarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..............

That's why I said "knee-jerk reaction". Plus, if I need to form my own opinion on the game. If I like it, then it's great, otherwise, I can go on berating Bioware further.

Eugh, this completely. Stop bitching and whining when you haven't even played the game.

Hype trains might be annoying, but nowhere near as the "I have a bad feeling about this" train!

Karak

This is why I love the series.

I don't care if they make a full on fps because they want to make shooters next, or make an old school adventure game or anywhere inbetween.

Just give me more of the universe even if it's prequel style. First contact war, rachni wars, Wrex pre mass effect just traveling the galaxy murdering fools.

It's my favorite or second favorite fictional universe even when you include Tv/books/movies.

Totally agreed. Even if this was somehow just a horrible turd I would have checked it out via rental or something. Love the ME universe so much.

Hahahaha good point.

IGN said the same by the way:
...Mass Effect 3 actually felt weaker in many ways when compared to Mass Effect 2 just because it set the bar so high. But now, my feelings have markedly changed.
This change only made itself clear 15 or 20 hours into the game, when it becomes overwhelmingly obvious how intricately woven the sum parts of the Mass Effect series are. I found myself continually shaking my head in awe as things came together, not only from Mass Effect 2, but from Mass Effect itself...
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1219416p1.html

EYEL1NER

A preorder just sold for +$160 on eBay? Awesome!

Can't wait for Tuesday. But I need to run through ME2 again before I can start this, so I can get my relationship with Ashley current. Assumed only sexing up a squadmate in 2 would ruin the Ash relationship and fucked up by leading Miranda on. I also need to buy all the DLC, since we are never going to get a GOTY or Complete Edition on 360.

G17

Apparently the Art Book is full of nothing but spoilers.. I guess I won't be reading that till I am done the game.

Karak

I am very glad to hear that. Sad that the starting of the story has issues as that can be a detriment if the first 15 hours aren't up to par. But this is GREAT news and for once I agree with IGN...damn. One thing they say and something I felt happened in #2. I really do wish more of your surviving members returned in each game. I really do like a great deal of those chubs.

CrazyDude

Looks like I have nothing to worry about lol.

The bugs in both ME1 and ME2 never bothered me at all (and ME1 was atrocious for glitches) and I thought the dialogue in ME1 and ME2 was excellent. Guess I'm good :)

I never had a problem with the glitches in ME2, however there was one glitch in which I was stuck to the wall or the Normandy command platform that had me restart my game to an earlier save.

rozay

Banned
I never had a problem with the glitches in ME2, however there was one glitch in which I was stuck to the wall or the Normandy command platform that had me restart my game to an earlier save.
if you just run near the lockers you can consistently get stuck in the wall in ME1 360 lol

i-Lo

I am very glad to hear that. Sad that the starting of the story has issues as that can be a detriment if the first 4-5 hours aren't up to par. But this is GREAT news and for once I agree with IGN...damn.

If you don't mind me asking, how many hours have logged in the SP so far? Also, are you doing all the side-quests you can get your hands on?

And finally, a general question: Does the MP have any bearing whatsoever SP campaign conclusion?

If you don't mind me asking, how many hours have logged in the SP so far? Also, are you doing all the side-quests you can get your hands on?

And finally, a general question: Does the MP have any bearing whatsoever SP campaign conclusion?
From what i understand, if you get a level 20 character in MP you can use it as a War Asset in the SP campaign, which makes it easier to reach the best ending. It resets all your characters of that class to level 1 in the MP.

i-Lo

From what i understand, if you get a level 20 character in MP you can use it as a War Asset in the SP campaign, which makes it easier to reach the best ending. It resets all your characters of that class to level 1 in the MP.

So in essence, silver xbl owners are royally screwed eh?

Karak

Around 5-6. I was doing sidequests but if you see my other posts I was having random failures, or they felt random. It appears many are timed but there is no real time explanation to them. So if you see or hear one, better do it:) Or keep and eye on it.
MP can have an effect but from what they are saying you can do everything in the SP part of the game and it should not effect the finale. Not sure if that will bare out under scrutiny or if more will be revealed later on that shows the ins and outs of it all.

scarybore

Seriously contemplating using a VPN tomorrow to unlock my Origin copy early, but the last thing I want is too piss off EA and bugger up my account.

Apparently the Art Book is full of nothing but spoilers.. I guess I won't be reading that till I am done the game.

Would you honestly expect anything less?

The bugs in both ME1 and ME2 never bothered me at all (and ME1 was atrocious for glitches) and I thought the dialogue in ME1 and ME2 was excellent. Guess I'm good :)

Always had more problems with bugs in ME2 than 1. Floating above cover, character orienting himself wrong in comparison with the camera, debris exploding out of Thane in a cutscene, extraction events not triggering, biotic expert getting stuck during suicide mission. Loads more that I've probably forgotten, but I only really remember elevators on Noveria being glitchy in ME. Let's just hope the situation is better in ME3. :)

I have to say, the soundtrack isn't all that synth-y. Only the first few songs really remind me of ME1.

But, it is great. The 'emotional' tracks sound goddamn fantastic.

Around 5-6. I was doing sidequests but if you see my other posts I was having random failures, or they felt random. It appears many are timed but there is no real time explanation to them. So if you see or hear one, better do it:) Or keep and eye on it.
MP can have an effect but from what they are saying you can do everything in the SP part of the game. Not sure if that will bare out under scrutiny or if more will be revealed later on that shows the ins and outs of it all.

I agree with this actually. Word of advice: do all available fetch quests before you move onto the next main mission. And like that IGN pre-review stated, you get so many fetch quests it can be overwhelming.

Omega

Banned
A preorder just sold for +$160 on eBay? Awesome!

Can't wait for Tuesday. But I need to run through ME2 again before I can start this, so I can get my relationship with Ashley current. Assumed only sexing up a squadmate in 2 would ruin the Ash relationship and fucked up by leading Miranda on. I also need to buy all the DLC, since we are never going to get a GOTY or Complete Edition on 360.

I'm considering selling my CE on Ebay.

I have no idea why but I've seen some go for up to $300. WTF

I thought it was a ripoff at $80, I only got it because the standard case looks so damn ugly. Might just sell it for 200% profit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I would have bought digital for early access, but I decided to go physical. How else am I going to take embarrassing Mass Effect merch photos?

rozay

Banned
I have to say, the soundtrack isn't all that synth-y. Only the first few songs really remind me of ME1.

But, it is great. The 'emotional' tracks sound goddamn fantastic.
That's unfortunate because that interview with sasha dikiciyan and chris velasco made it sound like they were going to incorporate them more.

EYEL1NER

I'm considering selling my CE on Ebay.

I have no idea why but I've seen some go for up to $300. WTF

I thought it was a ripoff at $80, I only got it because the standard case looks so damn ugly. Might just sell it for 200% profit.
I've got one coming from Amazon when they put 360 versions up for like 5 minutes at 4 AM one of the days last week, but I am going to Best Buy on Tues to snag at least one more. Sell it and my copy becomes free and I make some a bit of change off of it.

The only problem is deciding if I want to buy more than one on Tuesday.
I've never been someone to hoard of flip games but this is a goldmine and too hard to pass up. It will be my first experience with it. I'm thinking maybe buy a total of four:
one from Amazon to keep, two from Best Buy to sell immediately, and one from Best Buy to sit on a shelf for two or so years and then sell.

That's unfortunate because that interview with sasha dikiciyan and chris velasco made it sound like they were going to incorporate them more.

Maybe they did the earlier tracks, because those definitely have some. But the more 'epic' tracks later on pretty much ditch them entirely.

Yesterday I just beat for the first time Overlord and Lair of the Shadow Broker...
What magnificent missions they were. Some of the best from the second game without a doubt.

A question for the people who are playing now ME3, do the missions of that game resemble in spirit to those from Overlord and LotSB? Becuase if they are somewhat similar my excitement could go ten fold.

i-Lo

MP can have an effect but from what they are saying you can do everything in the SP part of the game and it should not effect the finale. Not sure if that will bare out under scrutiny or if more will be revealed later on that shows the ins and outs of it all.

Thanks for the response.

Just so that I understand it clearly, once the side missions are assigned to you, whether you actively do it or not, the timer starts. So, do all side missions have same time limit before they expire or different ones have different limits?

RyanDG

A question for the people who are playing now ME3, do the missions of that game resemble in spirit to those from Overlord and LotSB? Becuase if they are somewhat similar my excitement could go ten fold.

The missions that tie directly into the main story arc have a great feel to them. I think LotSB is pretty unique in its feel (even within the previous ME games), but there are several missions that capture the same sort of feeling (though not quite getting to LotSB levels yet). There are also several missions that are really in depth in the combination of both explorations sections (with dialog) and combat sections and span multiple locations (not just the same 'hub').

RyanDG

Just so that I understand it clearly, once the side missions are assigned to you, whether you actively do it or not, the timer starts. So, do all side missions have same time limit before they expire or different ones have different limits?

It seems incredibly random and arbitrary and I don't even really understand what causes some of them to expire or not, because I have had some fail even without progressing to the next major story point. What is also a little frustrating is that you are picking up sidequests and side missions at an almost overwhelming rate some times. And a lot of these aren't very interesting (though there have been a couple that I've really enjoyed). With that said, not all of them are timed. I would say the majority of them are safe to store, as long as you don't progress to far forward in the main story.

Karak

Thanks for the response.

So far its random as hell. You can bank some and not others, you have super long period of time and then for others a very short period of time, and others have no period of time. Its really pretty scatter brained. If you are like me and enjoy the world, you will want to do them all. If that's you, then I suggest heading out to do them.

But you get them fast. So fast that I got one tried to leave and by the time I was back at my ship I had five random other quests that I didn't even hear random dialogue or anything for. The background scattered vocals of the game gives you the sidequests and it can result in a serious overload even while just trying to escape.

Does anyone know of any spots in Orange County, CA that are selling early?

For some reason it seems like those "sell early" mistakes never happen here, also it seems like people here have too much money and things almost always sell out.

Where are all these rich people at, and why are they buying my games up....for their kids?

if I see an 8 year old walking around with an N7 copy of Mass Effect i'm gonna go crazy.

Going to try to hit up Walmart at 12:00 and Best Buy at 10 am and see if I can get lucky.

Top Bottom