• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
It would be nice if there was some kind of reward or bonus for exploring every planet. In all of my my games Ive been major OCD and had to make sure I scanned every planet.

Zeliard

When's the best time to do Overlord in the game, story-wise? I know Shadow Broker is much better to do post-suicide mission.

Dany

Banned
When's the best time to do Overlord in the game, story-wise? I know Shadow Broker is much better to do post-suicide mission.

Overlord is self contained, you can do it whenever. IDK if it comes with weapons but I'm sure it comes with research upgrade for biotics.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Will you see Zaed and Kasumi in ME3, if you played with them in ME2?

No real specific context given, but spoiled just in case;
from what I know, basically every single major character from the past two games shows up in some form, including Zaeed, Kasumi, and the entire ME2 squad cast.

People have already chimed in in detail on Shadow Broker, Arrival, and Kasumi so I will skip repeating that and talk about Overlord. While it is a little long and (presumably) doesn't have much impact on overall story of ME it does tell an excellent tale and makes itself feel like a significant sidequest, almost like one you'd think was built into the game proper, rather than as DLC. Though that fact may offend some in itself.

Yeah, Overlord has a nice little self contained story. It feels like ME2's equivalent of Bring Down the Sky, and in many ways is the direction I wish BioWare took Mass Effect's free roaming uncharted worlds. Scope of the quests themselves may have required scaling back in order to include many of them, but the mini-hubs with multiple missions is something I really liked.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Bot hare fine to do any time. Theres really nothing better about doing SB after the collectors. In fact it might be better to do it before since you get occasional resources and upgrades from the SB base.

Zeliard

Cool thx for the responses.

Bot hare fine to do any time. Theres really nothing better about doing SB after the collectors. In fact it might be better to do it before since you get occasional resources and upgrades from the SB base.

I haven't done Shadow Broker yet but some have said it makes more sense dialogue-wise to do it after you beat the game.

Yeah, Overlord has a nice little self contained story. It feels like ME2's equivalent of Bring Down the Sky, and in many ways is the direction I wish BioWare took Mass Effect's free roaming uncharted worlds. Scope of the quests themselves may have required scaling back in order to include many of them, but the mini-hubs with multiple missions is something I really liked.

Neat. Doing an Insanity run right now and I'm gonna do Shadow Broker & Overlord for the first time. Maybe Kasumi as well.

Karak

from what I know, basically every single major character from the past two games shows up in some form, including Zaeed, Kasumi, and the entire ME2 squad cast.

That's what the reviewers are saying. And the first name in your spoiler is my favorite NPC. I am hoping he shows up with more than a high five and then walks off:) I want to run roughshod on the universe with him again.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Is Shadow Broker best done after the suicide mission? is there something extra, I've never noticed anything different.

From my experience Shadow Broker, Kasumi and Overlord can be done whenever with as far as I know no differences before or after, but I prefer to do Arrival after the Suicide mission because story wise it makes more sense and the end bit to me seems better placed after everything else.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I haven't done Shadow Broker yet but some have said it makes more sense dialogue-wise to do it after you beat the game.

Id say the opposite actually. Certain lines change depending on what point youre at with the collectors, but on the whole I would argue to do it before rather than after.

I tried to search if this was answered already and came up with no results. Sorry if I failed.

Anyhows, those of you that have already played a few hours: how's the sound design in general? I remember watching some "making of the sounds of ME3"-clip on Youtube and there the sound designer's were raving on, how this game would rock the player's socks sound-wise. However, after playing the first portion of the demo, I was feeling kinda....I don't know, underwhelmed or something. IMHO, the arrival of the Reapers didn't exactly sound as impressive or mind-blowing as I'd expect the start of a galactic war would sound.

spekkeh

Banned
Is Shadow Broker best done after the suicide mission? is there something extra, I've never noticed anything different.

From my experience Shadow Broker, Kasumi and Overlord can be done whenever with as far as I know no differences before or after, but I prefer to do Arrival after the Suicide mission because story wise it makes more sense and the end bit to me seems better placed after everything else.

Maybe if you romanced Liara in part 1. Seems a natural fit to delay going back to her until after I boink Miranda.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

It works either way, but it was primarily written as post game content, so it makes more sense to play it as it was originally intended.

Neat. Doing an Insanity run right now and I'm gonna do Shadow Broker & Overlord for the first time. Maybe Kasumi as well.

When I say mini-hub I don't mean like Illium, the Citadel, or anything like that. No side quests of note either. Just a little area to explore and drive around, as well as the quest missions completable in the order of your choice. Like Bring Down the Sky. I like it.

That's what the reviewers are saying. And the first name in your spoiler is my favorite NPC. I am hoping he shows up with more than a high five and then walks off:) I want to run roughshod on the universe with him again.

That does seem to be one of the more unanimous positive notes of the game, based on what we've heard so far. The impression I've gotten, from who I've spoken to, what I've seen and read, that in terms of cleaning up thread ties and giving closure to characters, ME3 basically covers everything.

This is one of the reasons I dislike renegade Shepard, mind you. It's fun to see alternatives and it will be interesting to see how ME3 plays out, but I'm a "content first" kind of person, and killing off the ME2 squad, or the Rachni queen, in my head just says "they wont appear in the next games", and that means less to see and do. Even when it's shitty emails and brief, two line cameos in ME2, I'd rather have it than not have it at all.

derFeef

Aww yeah.
And yes, Overlord is great, was surprised how good it was after many said it's bad. The gameplay might be a little boring, but the drive-around makes up for it. Plus the story is really well done for a side quest, and the ending is creepy.

Aww yeah.
And yes, Overlord is great, was surprised how good it was after many said it's bad. The gameplay might be a little boring, but the drive-around makes up for it. Plus the story is really well done for a side quest, and the ending is creepy.

I loved the overlord dlc, really good stuff and felt like it's own complete chapter in the universe.

Solo

I actually agree with a bit of this. But the "clean up" that they did removed a massive amount of the roleplaying itself. They basically did what you said. Removed many choices and made the ones you do make happen sparingly even on RPG mode... I guess you could say this feels like ME2 RPG lite lite lite:)

Oh lawd :_(

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Two quick, non spoiler question about the full game. Are the running animations improved from the demo and are conversation interrupts back?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
1) No. I watched a few seconds of a stream last night (intro section), and it looked exactly the same to me.
2) Yes.

Cool. I didn't actually play the SP in the demo but I was hoping femshep would run better since I saw that infamous clip. Glad interrupts are back though, I thought those were a great addition in 2.

What the heck?! Was just checking my BSN registered game content and it says that I already have access to the ME3 online pass on 360!

Uh... thanks?

Karak

That's the perspective of someone 5-6 hours into the game. There are plenty of more positive impressions from those who have played longer.

And plenty of negative ones as well. Lets all be civil and understand that opinions will vary drastically as with any game. Moreso here due to the love many of us have for this game.

Karak

Two quick, non spoiler question about the full game. Are the running animations improved from the demo and are conversation interrupts back?

Running doesn't seem that much improved but better than #2:) I didn't play a massive amount of the demo. And you can interrupt during conversations if you mean just by pressing a key or button and choosing your next subject.

derFeef

So I guess what I'm learning from this conversation here is that I should skip Arrival and not look back.

Here is what I think.

Shadow Broker: Really well done DLC with a lot of backstory and a great payoff.
Overlord: Unique story that's not just another sidequest, makes you think after you played it. "Hub world" is fun. Gameplay a little boring due to enemy tpes.
Kasumi: A new character is always good, but it lacks payoff even if the mission is quite unique.
Arrival: Last 15 minutes are kinda neat, that's it.

That said, you might want to play Arrival because of a character and an "event" that will tie into ME3.

edit: sorry, I guess?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Maybe if you romanced Liara in part 1. Seems a natural fit to delay going back to her until after I boink Miranda.

Heh, I've only romanced Liara on one of playthroughs with my FemShep paragon and I didn't romance anyone else.
My Renegade Shepards however have been Kaiden > Garrus and Ash > Miranda, renegades got to play the field right? lol.

rozay

Banned
And plenty of negative ones as well. Lets all be civil and understand that opinions will drastically vary as with any game. Moreso here due to the love many of us have for this game.
but your honest and truthful opinions about the game you're actually playing (unlike the rest of us) are just wrong

rozay

Banned
Here is what I think.

Shadow Broker: Really well done DLC with a lot of backstory and a great payoff.
Overlord: Unique story that's not just another sidequest, makes you think after you played it. "Hub world" is fun. Gameplay a little boring due to enemy tpes.
Kasumi: A new character is always good, but it lacks payoff even if the mission is quite unique.
Arrival: Last 15 minutes are kinda neat, that's it.

That said, you might want to play Arrival because of a character and an "event" that will tie into ME3.
come on man, do you see the no spoilers part of the thread title? you could've just mentioned there's a tie in rather than the first detail you listed.

Mifune

Mehmber
And plenty of negative ones as well. Lets all be civil and understand that opinions will vary drastically as with any game. Moreso here due to the love many of us have for this game.

I was attempting to lend some perspective, not outright discard your opinion.

AlStrong

ME2 didn't import any minerals you picked up in ME1.

No, but that's because mineral scans were converted directly into credits/XP in ME1. If you maxed out your credits in ME1 (whatever the Rich Achievement required), you received 100K cR in ME2 at the start of the game.

EatChildren

I didn't realise the ME2 Cerberus Network info thingo had begun updating with new news :/

Top Bottom