• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Good thing I stuck with Sheploo.

evf4m.jpg

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I followed that guideline that was linked to me a day or two ago. You need to have at least 2 people survive to have Shepard survive so I did Garrus' and Thane's loyalty missions. Thane died before we even landed on the base though so I had to get a little lucky at the very end, where the rest of your squad stays behind to hold them back. There's some complex math equation that goes into place there but I just winged it and hoped it would work out.

You could probably just use the new save editor to choose who died and who didnt. In my very first run I didnt know about the whole IFF time limit thing so all the crew died, but with the new save editor I was able to go in uncheck a box, check another and get Kelly and co back. Same can be done with your actual squadmates, so we should be able to easily mix and match stuff to see the various outcomes in ME3 depending on who lived and who died.

Rubezh

I noticed in the Origin client that there's a system to download and buy addons for ME3. If that's the case, what's the point of using Bioware Social?

Derrick01

Banned
I noticed in the Origin client that there's a system to download and buy addons for ME3. If that's the case, what's the point of using Bioware Social?

Absolutely 0 point. This is 1 big thing EA's going to need to fix if anyone is ever going to take Origin seriously. You don't see Steam forcing you to buy Portal 2 points before buying something related to the actual game.

I'm also a little salty because I wasn't able to use one of my 15% off codes that EA support gave me for all the shit they put me through trying to get ME1 in my library. They apparently don't work on Bioware points, but they would have worked if I was buying the actual DLC instead of points.

edit: I misread your question. I was saying they need to take Bioware points away completely and just put everything on Origin in normal dollars/euros/whatever.

Well they did promise to reward those that have been with the series from the start. Obivously they just got their wires crossed and meant "punish" those that had been with the series from the start rather than reward them.

But that is a pretty bad lapse not ensuring you can import ME 1 faces into ME 3, pretty inexcusable in my books.

GeoramA

Ordered from Amazon today, although I planned not to. First time in years where the hype for a game got to me.

Playing it like I did ME2:

1st playthrough: Normal - Male Shep - Paragon
2nd playthrough: Insanity - Fem Shep - Renegade

Absolutely 0 point. This is 1 big thing EA's going to need to fix if anyone is ever going to take Origin seriously. You don't see Steam forcing you to buy Portal 2 points before buying something related to the actual game.

That's kind of because the Portal 2 DLC is free.

And you need to buy DLC for other games, so I don't see the difference here besides having to go through an entirely different website, which is a pain, granted.

And EA is not forcing you to buy anything.
Well they did promise to reward those that have been with the series from the start. Obivously they just got their wires crossed and meant "punish" those that had been with the series from the start rather than reward them.

And Here. We. Go.

Can anyone who has the game answer this question:

Can you get a lot of side quests from Disc 1, save them all while progressing with a few Story missions, and then pop in Disc 2 to do the side quests you gathered or does the system not work that way? Do you have to switch to Disc 2 when only doing side quests or do you also have to swap back towards Disc 1 when completing one?

Derrick01

Banned
That's kind of because the Portal 2 DLC is free.

And you need to buy DLC for other games, so I don't see the difference here besides having to go through an entirely different website, which is a pain, granted.

The accessory stuff you can buy isn't free though. But when they do charge it's not in some weird alien point system, it's in dollars and you can quickly buy it through steam and get it over with.

It's redundant and unnecessary to make me buy points just to buy the DLC that's already on the Origin store and like I said it screws me over a bit because I can't use any promo codes on the points.

HP_Wuvcraft said:

But they are. I wanted to buy that DLC and they made me buy Bioware points first. There was no other way around it.

DTKT

The accessory stuff you can buy isn't free though. But when they do charge it's not in some weird alien point system, it's in dollars and you can quickly buy it through steam and get it over with.

It's redundant and unnecessary to make me buy points just to buy the DLC that's already on the Origin store and like I said it screws me over a bit because I can't use any promo codes on the points.

But they are. I wanted to buy that DLC and they made me buy Bioware points first. There was no other way around it.

Worth noting that the Bioware Points system was implemented before Origin. I could see EA phasing out the Bioware points in order to concentrate all traffic into Origin.

Can anyone who has the game answer this question:

Can you get a lot of side quests from Disc 1, save them all while progressing with a few Story missions, and then pop in Disc 2 to do the side quests you gathered or does the system not work that way? Do you have to switch to Disc 2 when only doing side quests or do you also have to swap back towards Disc 1 when completing one?

It seems random; you don't have to switch just for side missions.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Well I have my main full completion ME1/ME2 playthrough done and set for 3 already but I wanted to see what would happen in ME3 if almost everyone died so I did a quick second run. ME2 is really short when you don't have to worry about doing any planet scanning at all or any loyalty missions :lol

In fact if I didn't do Shadow Broker I would have shaved at least an hour off of that 5-6 time.

The loyalty missions are the best part of the game!

That's like ordering pizza and then ripping off all the cheese/toppings and throwing them in the trash.

Rubezh

edit: I misread your question. I was saying they need to take Bioware points away completely and just put everything on Origin in normal dollars/euros/whatever.

That's what I would have expected to see. So now, Bring Down the Sky has all but vanished, Pinnacle Station is on Origin, ME2 DLC is on Bioware Social, and now ME3 DLC is back on Origin. EA should slap it all on Origin and make it easier for all of us.

Derrick01

Banned
Worth nothing that the Bioware Points system was implemented before Origin. I could see EA phasing out the Bioware points in order to concentrate all traffic into Origin.

Yeah they kind of made themselves the victim of their own messiness. Before Origin they had like 50000 different logins and all sorts of different points and purchase systems for various games and it's taking them a long time to get rid of all that and streamline it through Origin.

I'm a little puzzled by this though because I don't think it's hard for them to simply charge $10 when they put From Ashes on the store. Then again this is the same company who wanted me to make a Pogo account just to get ME1 on my Origin library.

It seems random; you don't have to switch just for side missions.

That sucks. If the side missions were just on Disc 2 and the Story missions on Disc 1 I could live with the disc swapping but not knowing when that crap is going to hit removes some of the engagement you have with the game's atmosphere. It just puts you out of it.

Dany

Banned
I am less than 3 feet away from my console and I'm going to install both discs so for me at least I don't see it being an issue.

Also, ME2 didn't take you out of the game, you switched it while still in the game.

Derrick01

Banned
The loyalty missions are the best part of the game!

That's like ordering pizza and then ripping off all the cheese/toppings and throwing them in the trash.

I've expressed my extreme dislike of ME2 and its loyalty missions many times before, but like I said I just recently did a full ME1 and 2 run so I just wanted to do a second quick run through 2 killing as many people as I could. It's hard to kill most of them if everyone is loyal.

I'm wondering how it'll work in 3. Will it actually change missions or will they just slap a random turian, salarian, etc in place of Garrus or Mordin in 3.

Acidote

Mass Effect 3 demo spoiler regarding that matter:

Surkesh

If Captain Kirrahe is alive he's there and promoted to Major Kirrahe, exchanging a few words with you. And Shepard doesn't even remember him. If he's dead, another salarian takes is place like if nothing happened.

Lime

Mass Effect 3 demo spoiler regarding that matter:

Surkesh

If Captain Kirrahe is alive he's there and promoted to Major Kirrahe, exchanging a few words with you. And Shepard doesn't even remember him. If he's dead, another salarian takes is place like if nothing happened.

Also, (demo spoilers) Wrex
is replaced by that other Krogan from ME2. Wreav. The voice of Wreav mistakenly bugs in. And despite Wrex being incredibly motivated in the beginning of the demo, he somehow elects to stay behind during the entire mission.

Megasoum

Banned
Does the Origin version come with a digital manual? If so, is it in-game, a pdf file or something else?

You have a manual link in the origin app but right now it only link to a pdf with the standard epilepsy warning. I imagine the "real" manual will be available on tuesday...not that companies actually make real manuals anymore.

d00d3n

Just bought the game through Origin.

Can someone confirm that it will be playable on PC in 16 hours using a vpn to a korean standard time zone location?

You have a manual link in the origin app but right now it only link to a pdf with the standard epilepsy warning. I imagine the "real" manual will be available on tuesday...not that companies actually make real manuals anymore.

Physical copies get a slip of paper, no manual.

So fucking awful, no manual, online pass, and $10 day 1 dlc.

tumblr_lp32dvElfy1qzi58t.gif

BRING IT EA

Ok. I decided that i am not going to do another ME 2 run just to avoid cheating on Ashley. I will face it how it comes. I take it like a man even if she is going to bitch slap me in my face. ^^ Hope she understands that i thought i was dying on the mission and had to make out for the last time. ^^

I am less than 3 feet away from my console and I'm going to install both discs so for me at least I don't see it being an issue.

Also, ME2 didn't take you out of the game, you switched it while still in the game.

There is a difference between ME2's disc swapping and ME3's if I am reading everything correctly. Mass Effect 2 was a vastly linear experience, and each disc contained a set number of Loyalty missions, side quests and Story missions. In Mass Effect 3 some of the side quests seem to start with disc 1 and end with disc 2 and the Story missions are all set on Disc 1.

The thing is. If I gathered 20 side quests from Disc 1 and all of them can only be started with Disc 2, I would just take my time by gathering them all and do all the side quests in one go. If I have to keep switching back and forth by completing a mission that is related to the citadel, and the citadel is only accessible with Disc 1, it becomes a nuisance and completely gets me out of the game's atmosphere.

Zoibie

Does that work? Installing disc 2 so you don't have to keep swapping between them?

There is a difference between ME2's disc swapping and ME3's if I am reading everything correctly. Mass Effect 2 was a vastly linear experience, and each disc contained a set number of Loyalty missions, side quests and Story missions. In Mass Effect 3 some of the side quests seem to start with disc 1 and end with disc 2 and the Story missions are all set on Disc 1.

The thing is. If I gathered 20 side quests from Disc 1 and all of them can only be started with Disc 2, I would just take my time by gathering them all and do all the side quests in one go. If I have to keep switching back and forth by completing a mission that is related to the citadel, and the citadel is only accessible with Disc 1, it becomes a nuisance and completely gets me out of the game's atmosphere.

There really isn't THAT much disc-swapping. 4 times in 25 hours so far. Thing is, as already mentioned - you want to do all sidequests before main missions because some of them can dissappear/ time out anyways.

Does that work? Installing disc 2 so you don't have to keep swapping between them?
No. It doesn't matter.

Also, (demo spoilers) Wrex
is replaced by that other Krogan from ME2. Wreav. The voice of Wreav mistakenly bugs in. And despite Wrex being incredibly motivated in the beginning of the demo, he somehow elects to stay behind during the entire mission.

Yeah. The demo mission here cuts out about 10 minutes of talking. There's reasons for his actions. Also -
People you 'know' feed into your war readiness stuff. If person X, Y or Z is alive they'll be worth more to you than their basic replacement, essentially.

Top Bottom