• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I have that HDD, but it says "console" in the article. So that works?

I would think so, but cant be sure. The solutions to the cloudsave issue specify HDD, but then relate that as equal to the console with which the save originated, but I wouldnt think the console matters as much as the HDD itself. I would hope its simply the HDD since many people dont have the same console but do have the same HDD.

Worse case scenario you can always download a save from www.masseffect2saves.com and then convert it to an Xbox save with Gibbed's Save Editor and make whatever tweaks you like to it before hand.

EDIT: Hell I wonder if you can "fix" your cloud save by exporting it to your PC and just resaving it as an Xbox save with Gibbed's save editor somehow by making it a PC save first then turning it back into a Xbox save.

I'm ok if what they're doing is removing the wheel from the superfluous dialogue options. Too many times in ME 1 and 2, you had to choose something to say and it didn't affect jack. If in Mass Effect 3, they use the wheel only at points in which you're actually making a decision, that's fine. It adds more weight to seeing the wheel come up, imo.

Dany

Banned
I'm ok if what they're doing is removing the wheel from the superfluous dialogue options. Too many times in ME 1 and 2, you had to choose something to say and it generated not one change. If in Mass Effect 3, they use the wheel only at points in which you're actually making a decision, that's fine. It adds more weight to seeing the wheel come up, imo.

I think this is ok. Not everything Shepard says needs to create a divergent path.

mhayze

I recently started playing the Mass Effect series and I'm halfway through ME1. Will I be missing a lot if I just jump into ME3? Could I play ME3 now, then come back and play it again after finishing ME1 & 2, or will it be 'ruined' in some way? I know these are just opinions, but I'm wondering what others think, since I'm pretty excited about ME3 even though I wasn't about the previous games at launch (due to the multiplayer).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Most of the observations were from players using the "Full Decisions" option and the RPG mode.

We really need to stop blaming the Action mode for everything.

There have been people with the game in this thread saying the game has just as many decisions as the other ME games. It's easy to blame Action mode because it's likely the cause of a lot of the confusion. It was the default choice in the demo and people streaming it likely don't give a shit what they're doing.

If it isn't the case, then there's straight up contradicting reports from people, and it isn't really worth speculating about beyond that.

Omega

Banned
Don't know if this was posted but to follow on from importing face problems, apparently if you use the 360 cloud save and are on a different console from your original one you wont be able to import your save unless you can go back to your original 360.

Joystiq

Please tell me this isn't for real..

To my knowledge EA doesn't give a damn about issues with their games so I doubt this ever gets fixed. Their customer service is beyond atrocious too.

I'm done with EA. I love Battlefield and loved ME, but they just make every game worse and plagued with issues that their customer service either refuses to assist in, or just flat out has no idea how to.

Dresden

I recently started playing the Mass Effect series and I'm halfway through ME1. Will I be missing a lot if I just jump into ME3? Could I play ME3 now, then come back and play it again after finishing ME1 & 2, or will it be 'ruined' in some way? I know these are just opinions, but I'm wondering what others think, since I'm pretty excited about ME3 even though I wasn't about the previous games at launch (due to the multiplayer).

I'd go through the first two games before hitting up ME3.

I would say play them in order, it'll give 3 more "oomph." Also, the combat has progressed so much in this series that I'm not sure if I could ever go back to 1 after 3's combat.

I'm ok if what they're doing is removing the wheel from the superfluous dialogue options. Too many times in ME 1 and 2, you had to choose something to say and it didn't affect jack. If in Mass Effect 3, they use the wheel only at points in which you're actually making a decision, that's fine. It adds more weight to seeing the wheel come up, imo.

So we're down to a choose-your-own-adventure? What about fleshing out the character? Interactivity?

DTKT

Wait.

How did you go from "taking out excess dialogue" to "no more character development"?

Well, if you actually roleplay your Shepard, I guess you would like to have what you call "superfluous" dialogue in order to actually flesh out the character.

rozay

Banned
I wonder how the automatic conversation picker works when you've done 75% of the game opposite what it would normally do. Will it lead you to the worst ending?

LuchaShaq

Banned
Well, well, well, I thought this is interesting and explains why some missions expire before you get to do it:

FML. Can't we all hold hand in peace, all united while singing "Kumbayah Lord Shepard"? I thought they'd all be united by one common enemy (Reapers) but I guess not.

This makes me happy

An ending where YAY EVERYONE HAPPAY would be boring/cliche as fuck, and would cut off alot of interesting future places for the universe/franchise will go.

So Batarians/Geth/Salarians/Humans? Prepare to die.

Welcome to your council+Battlemasters Shep+Garrus+Wrex

BOW DOWN OR DIE.

DTKT

I wonder how the automatic conversation picker works when you've done 75% of the game opposite what it would normally do. Will it lead you to the worst ending?

My guess is that they are pre-determined choice that are just picked for you. Doesn't matter what you did before, they just pick the same for everyone.

LuchaShaq, can you spoiler tag that?

I'm ok if what they're doing is removing the wheel from the superfluous dialogue options. Too many times in ME 1 and 2, you had to choose something to say and it generated not one change. If in Mass Effect 3, they use the wheel only at points in which you're actually making a decision, that's fine. It adds more weight to seeing the wheel come up, imo.

Yeah, but at the same time (at least from what I've seen) the cutscenes seem to drag on and on. I generally don't really like games that interrupt gameplay with lots of little passive cutscenes and that's what seems to be the case in ME3. Like some of the cutscenes might give you a choice but then it just keeps going on for minutes until it ends with nothing else for the player to do, no follow up choices or anything.

Its not that there is a lack of dialogue, but there seems to be a lack of very much player input. That player input in dialogue is part of what makes an RPG an RPG for me, even if its just essentially letting me pick the tone Shepard says something or his opinion on a subject. I'd prefer to be able to express certain opinions my Shepard has on certain topics as opposed to BioWare hijacking him to say some pithy remark that doesn't make sense based on how I've played him in prior games.

I'm thinking of a couple big examples I saw in some streams, but since no spoilers, I'll hold my tongue. It just seems like BioWare took a much heavier hand in characterizing Shepard their way than in prior games.

exYle

It a new option separate from the 3 modes. You can see it toggled in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUBpuG_oYME [WARNING SHOWS THE NORMANDY AND CONVERSATION WITH ONE CREWMEMBER]

The description reads (when enabled) : All conversations require participation. No choices are made for you.

When disabled : All conversation play automatically. Responses are chosen for you.

Hm. Interesting... and fairly disappointing.
I hope this turns out for the better. I'm kinda clinging on to IGN's "it picks up after 15-20 hours" statement.
Of course, with the lack of choice of conversational options, maybe that means that the writing will be tighter and more concise.

Well, if you actually roleplay your Shepard, I guess you would like to have what you call "superfluous" dialogue in order to actually flesh out the character.

You're assuming that I and everyone that is for taking out excess dialogue does not role-play. Not the best position to take.

There's really no point in having 15 different flavor options if they all just lead to either the good or the bad outcome.

Of course, there are those that try their best to break the game by role-playing completely outlandish stuff, like being an alien or something.

DTKT

Hm. Interesting... and fairly disappointing.
I hope this turns out for the better. I'm kinda clinging on to IGN's "it picks up after 15-20 hours" statement.
Of course, with the lack of choice of conversational options, maybe that means that the writing will be tighter and more concise.

Yeah, like how the reduced amount of different areas in DAII meant that they were more unique.

Wait...

Dany

Banned
It a new option separate from the 3 modes. You can see it toggled in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUBpuG_oYME [WARNING SHOWS THE NORMANDY AND CONVERSATION WITH ONE CREWMEMBER]

The description reads (when enabled) : All conversations require participation. No choices are made for you.

When disabled : All conversation play automatically. Responses are chosen for you.

Uploader said

In the more important people and conversations their will be an investigate option. Dont get your hopes down about this game, it is amazing.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Don't know if this was posted but to follow on from importing face problems, apparently if you use the 360 cloud save and are on a different console from your original one you wont be able to import your save unless you can go back to your original 360.

Joystiq

If my save that I transferred via transfer cable doesn't work I'm joining the official troll bioware 24/7 squad.

aranth

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but for europeans that can't wait till thursday for the release unlock, using any korean vpn sets up the date to tomorrow afternoon (16 GMT+1). I am so very tired of staggered releases, so I'm doing it tomorrow and I don't think EA cares at all.

I'm not sure if it's allowed to post how to bypass the release date check, so PM if anyone is interested.

bigace33

Her flashbangs also incapacitate Harbingers! They'll keep moving but won't be able to fire anything. She's amazing.
Flashbang is super over powered. Not only does it blind the enemy but it rocks them as well. lol they go flying when it goes off. Her and Tali are unstoppable machines of destruction. I did the Overlord dlc with Tali and her Area AI hack made mincemeat of the geth. It made the mission way too easy, but enjoyable.

Nexas

Uploader said

In the video he said that was pretty representative of the game. So which is it?

This auto-dialogue stuff is bumming me out, but at least it sounds like combat is still pretty fun so I can still enjoy this game on some level.

Stay strong, play 1 and 2 first. I'm sure it will enhance your experience tremendously.

exYle

In the video he said that was pretty representative of the game. So which is it?
If I had to guess, I would assume that a mundane conversation like that in the video would be more common than the important conversations with more dialogue choices later in the game.

Pollux

So, for that video, he disabled the conversation option? Otherwise all conversations are like in 1 and 2?

ME2 editor update (if you want to import)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...48836&pagenumber=156&perpage=40#post401201384

Can I use your save editor to modify 360 files?

gibbed said:
Apparently so! (I know nothing about it, though)

That's so cool for Rick to release the code and others get to continue with updates and stuff :)

Pordis Shepard recently updated the save editor again to allow for more editing.

http://social.bioware.com/project/4373/
9emVc.png

xbox save manipulations http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/128/index/2277020/1

DTKT

So, for that video, he disabled the conversation option? Otherwise all conversations are like in 1 and 2?

Negative. That segment was shown with the Full Decisions option + RPG mode. This is the most choices you might have during a conversation.

rozay

Banned

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...48836&pagenumber=156&perpage=40#post401201384

That's so cool for Rick to release the code and others get to continue with updates and stuff :)

Pordis Shepard recently updated the save editor again to allow for more editing.

9emVc.png

xbox save manipulations http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/128/index/2277020/1
Wow this is a godsend. I hope the saves work properly in ME3 though.

rozay

Banned
Oh I was under the impression that there were more choices than that, but oh well. Good start and an easy way to change the Legion or collector base decisions.

Yep, just lost 30 hours of my life (half of the game basicaly, in a save that was like 60 hours).
Was making my perfect save in ME2 with Tali as romantic relationship for ME3 in (i hope I get it wednesday)
During this walkthrough I also read all the text, and investigated all I could, to have it fresh and a 100% completition save.
The thing is, when the romantic conversation with Tali arrived, I asked her again, and when she says she is prepared but could be dangerous, as the parangon I was, and without reading to well the line, I chose that I didnt want anything with her becuase it was dangerous (that fucking bioware chose as paragon choice, fuck you).
Without really noticing that I had fucked up I continued playing until tonight, when I arrived to the Omega mass relay, and surprise, Tali didnt appear.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
That was in save 43, I had 90 saves (usually saved after each mission). Yep that means I need to start from that save again. This time passing all the text as fast as I can and with infinite cain launcher all the time. Nuke all shit from orbit.
Tomorrow is going to be a long day...

Dany

Banned

9emVc.png

I might have to use that if my save screws up, but I'm on a mac :(

Dresden

Yep, just lost 30 hours of my life (half of the game basicaly, in a save that was like 60 hours).
Was making my perfect save in ME2 with Tali as romantic relationship for ME3 in (i hope I get it wednesday)
During this walkthrough I also read all the text, and investigated all I could, to have it fresh and a 100% completition save.
The thing is, when the romantic conversation with Tali arrived, I asked her again, and when she says she is prepared but could be dangerous, as the parangon I was, and without reading to well the line, I chose that I didnt want anything with her becuase it was dangerous (that fucking bioware chose as paragon choice, fuck you).
Without really noticing that I had fucked up I continued playing until tonight, when I arrived to the Omega mass relay, and surprise, Tali didnt appear.
That was in save 43, I had 90 saves (usually saved after each mission). Yep that means I need to start from that save again. This time passing all the text as fast as I can and with infinite cain launcher all the time. Nuke all shit from orbit.
Just use a save editor? Tali's not worth thirty or whatever hours.

rozay

Banned
just use the save editor right above your post LOL

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
At this point I'm thinking we should just have a Mass Effect 3 spoilers galore thread. Seems like everyone knows the ending already.

Ilive1up

i just finished ME2 on insanity. it was quite insane, but i did the least amount of missions, and nearly everyone perished in the last battle. good times.

Top Bottom