• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Green Yoshi

Simple answer: ME3 uses ME2 face codes to create face data. Unfortunately ME1 didn't have face codes, and it appears when importing into ME2 it took raw data or something. This means a ME1 imported face in ME2 does not have any face code, thus ME3 cannot read the face.

It's lame. That's why I suggest following the above. If you're not a lazy git like Solo you'll have your code in no time.

And why doesn't ME3 take the raw data from ME1? This sounds really crazy to me. Most Mass Effect fans didn't start with ME2, but with ME1. So there should better be an option to use your face that you played with in ME1 and ME2.

Replicant

Well, well, well, I thought this is interesting and explains why some missions expire before you get to do it:

IGN review said:
The open-endedness comes from the fact that collecting certain War Assets will affect your acquisition of other War Assets. Even at a time of existential galactic upheaval, old grudges die hard. Helping the Salarians may affect your relationship with the Krogans. And some Turians still hold something against humanity for the First Contact War. These kinds of issues will need to be kept in mind as you collect War Assets and raise your Galactic Readiness, because you simply won't be able to please all sides no matter how hard you try. Of course, this system also gives Mass Effect 3 another added degree of replayability.

FML. Can't we all hold hand in peace, all united while singing "Kumbayah Lord Shepard"? I thought they'd all be united by one common enemy (Reapers) but I guess not.

Well, well, well, I thought this is interesting and explains why some missions expire before you get to do it:

FML. Can't we all hold hand in peace, all united while singing "Kumbayah Lord Shepard"? I thought they'd all be united by one common enemy (Reapers) but I guess not.

Turians for life, everyone else can get reaped.

Zeliard

Just did the Kasumi loyalty mission for the first time. She's quite the beast in combat. Chaining backstabs all day long.

Dany

Banned
Really curious what the geth/quarians conflict is going to be, considering Legions loyality, it'll be interesting to know what can happen.

And why doesn't ME3 take the raw data from ME1? This sounds really crazy to me. Most Mass Effect fans didn't start with ME2, but with ME1. So there should better be an option to use your face that you played with in ME1 and ME2.

It is kind of crazy. I don't know if most characters originated with ME 1 but there really isn't a good excuse for them to not come up with a proper solution. I can deal with it because I managed to come up with a reasonable copy but it seems like a really shitty corner to cut.

RyanDG

This isn't really a specific spoiler and I'm only going to be speaking in generalities in regards to a faction that we all already know is in the game... I'll spoil tag it anyway, just so people can elect to read it or not read it. (Spoiler for the ending of ME2 in here).

One of my biggest concerns going into ME3 was how Cerberus was handled, especially with the relationship that was developed in ME2... Now that I'm really getting into the game, I'm really, really liking what they are doing with Cerberus in general... Especially in consideration that you wouldn't initially think your mission is really that much at odds with Ceberus's... Aside from the Xenophobia of course (unless you roll that kind of Shep). It almost makes me wish I gave the baby reaper to the Illusive man. I may need to do that in an penultimate play through of all 3 games.

Zeliard

Her flashbangs also incapacitate Harbingers! They'll keep moving but won't be able to fire anything. She's amazing.

Yeah I imagine that ability will come in handy as well.

The rank 4 options for her backstab special seem so imbalanced, haha. Dunno why you'd ever get the extra damage one. The other one still does huge damage and it boosts your biotic recharge by 80% on kills. Makes it so easy to chain backstabs even on Insanity, once you rid fools of their shields.

derFeef

Looking at my non-N7 ME2 box (I got two ;) makes me realize how bad the boxart is, wow.
It's so generic and the art is also bad.

i-Lo

Well it's for the sake of multiple playthroughs... the safety of sentience in galaxy be damned!

rozay

Banned
Looking at my non-N7 ME2 box (I got two ;) makes me realize how bad the boxart is, wow.
It's so generic and the art is also bad.
Both it and the one it replaced were pretty terrible. ME3's isn't quite as bad but it's incredibly generic.

ME2 CE's box art is probably my favorite of all 3 games though.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I've played ME1&2 on my 360, but I'll be buying the third one on pc and thus don't have any savegames :( I still want all my decisions to carry over though... What's the best website to find savegames at and sort them based upon the decisions made? Is that gonna work well? Thanks in advance :/

ME3's standard is worse than ME2's standard (which is generic, but not THAT bad imo), but ME!, and the limited edition covers of 2 and 3 are all just so amazing.

Shepard is dead. Elcor Spectre to the rescue

masseffect2elcorspectre.jpg

Dave1988

It is kind of crazy. I don't know if most characters originated with ME 1 but there really isn't a good excuse for them to not come up with a proper solution. I can deal with it because I managed to come up with a reasonable copy but it seems like a really shitty corner to cut.

Bioware are lazy.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Don't know if this was posted but to follow on from importing face problems, apparently if you use the 360 cloud save and are on a different console from your original one you wont be able to import your save unless you can go back to your original 360.

Despite Mass Effect 3's impressive mastery of the atmosphere, it still can't quite handle clouds. EA is "aware of an issue" that prevents Mass Effect 2 save files that either exist in the cloud, or were transferred to a new 360 through the cloud, from being imported into ME3.

EA's help guide for the problem makes no mention of plans to implement such functionality, but it does offer solutions, provided you still have access to the 360 that birthed your ME2 save. If your ME2 save exists in the cloud and you're playing from its original console, simply move it back to your hard drive and it should import fine.

If it exists on a new console and was transferred through the cloud, it'll need to be moved back to its original 360, and then re-transferred to the new system using a memory card or USB thumb drive. If you no longer have access to that original 360, it looks like you're going to be spending some time on the character creation screen. But hey, don't feel guilty, all right? Shepard would have wanted you to love again.

Joystiq

Are face codes really that big of a deal? Just spend some time in the demo getting it right. The options aren't really all that extensive to spend more than 20 minutes emulating a look. Now the female hairstyles, those are terrible this time around. I like how one of the female presets is a Hispanic Justin Bieber.

Dresden

Are face codes really that big of a deal? Just spend some time in the demo getting it right. The options aren't really all that extensive to spend more than 20 minutes emulating a look. Now the female hairstyles, those are terrible this time around. I like how one of the female presets is a Hispanic Justin Bieber.

It kinda is. It's also difficult to setup a new face that looks like the one your old character had, moreso than you'd think.

I'll be using the USB method that was posted a few pages back, but still, this is a bummer.

Don't know if this was posted but to follow on from importing face problems, apparently if you use the 360 cloud save and are on a different console from your original one you wont be able to import your save unless you can go back to your original 360.

Joystiq

Welp, my original Xbox got the RROD so I'm fucked. This does save me sixty bucks though.

Dany

Banned

Joystiq

I transferred everything from my old xbox with ME2 saves to a slim xbox in the summer using the transfer cable but IDK if I started a new play through after i did that, I know I played the saves I had...hmmm.

Joystiq

I've never used the cloud and have always had my ME2 save on a USB drive. So I shouldn't have an issue, right?

AlStrong

Maybe they made significant upgrades/changes to the face tech making it simply incompatible.

Replicant

Creating good-looking female Shepard is impossible! Even the default FemShep looks like a clown. I'm considering ditching the idea of using FemShep in one of my 3 play-throughs unless her transfer into ME3 somehow looks decent.

Even if she looks somewhat good in CC, by the time you see her in the cut scenes, she looks Godawful again. And her looks does not improve even after a few scenes ahead.

Hmmm...after spending a good chunk of today watching streams of ME3 (with some people pretty far along) my biggest concern is the auto-dialogue cutscenes and general lack of player input in dialogue choices.

I get the impression BioWare wanted things more overtly cinematic like say, Uncharted, but that comes at the expense of just sitting there passively watching most of the dialogue cutscenes instead of keeping more actively involved with them via dialogue options.

I actually really wish they went with something like Alpha Protocol's timed dialogue.

AlStrong

I transferred everything from my old xbox with ME2 saves to a slim xbox in the summer using the transfer cable but IDK if I started a new play through after i did that, I know I played the saves I had...hmmm.

hm... I'm in the same situation.

I do recall doing the transfer cable stuff from a 20GB to a 120GB drive as well as transferring from my original box to a replacement unit. The ME1->ME2 import worked fine still. Can't see a reason why using a transfer cable to the Slim HDD should be any different now... I hope.

edit:

-OG box with 20GB drive failed (ME1 save started on this drive)
-Got a warranty replacement box from MS
-Bought a 120GB drive at some point later, used the transfer cable.
-Import from ME1->ME2 worked fine.

Megasoum

Banned
Hopefully ME3 won't have the same login issues I had with 2 since day one... For some reason the auto login to the ea server on boot never works with ME2... Every single time I start the game I get an error and I have to manually connect. It's not the end of the world but it's annoying. Especially since the login windows doesn't support tabing between fields so I have to manually click on each field to type in the info and then click on login...ugh...

hm... I'm in the same situation.

I do recall doing the transfer cable stuff from a 20GB to a 120GB drive as well as transferring from my original box to a replacement unit. The ME1->ME2 import worked fine still. Can't see a reason why using a transfer cable to the Slim HDD should be any different now... I hope.

edit:

-OG box with 20GB drive failed (ME1 save started on this drive)
-Got a warranty replacement box from MS
-Bought a 120GB drive at some point later, used the transfer cable.
-Import from ME1->ME2 worked fine.

That should work, maybe I'm wrong, but I believe I read that they said if the file was transferred by any method other than cloud (such as USB stick or memory unit) than it would be fine, the only issue is if the save's been moved to another hard drive via cloud.

I really hope the final version of the game has more character creation options. My custom Shepard looks pretty hideous, and I haven't been able to come remotely close to replicating the Shepard I made in Mass Effect 2.

Hmmm...after spending a good chunk of today watching streams of ME3 (with some people pretty far along) my biggest concern is the auto-dialogue cutscenes and general lack of player input in dialogue choices.

I get the impression BioWare wanted things more overtly cinematic like say, Uncharted, but that comes at the expense of just sitting there passively watching most of the dialogue cutscenes instead of keeping more actively involved with them via dialogue options.

I actually really wish they went with something like Alpha Protocol's timed dialogue.
I think the streams you were watching were in "Action Mode," where most dialogue options are removed.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey guys I could use some help setting up the game. This is mostly for ME2 right now (I want to finish up on my DLC before the new game comes out) but I'm sure it will be the same with ME3.

So I got the game running fine at 60fps (with VSync) and everything maxed out. The only problem is that I could really use some Anti-Aliasing... I know almost nothing about the different kind of AA so I could use some help to set things up. I'm using an AMD card btw.

Thanks!

DTKT

I think the streams you were watching were in "Action Mode," where most dialogue options are removed.

Most of the observations were from players using the "Full Decisions" option and the RPG mode.

We really need to stop blaming the Action mode for everything.

ME3 Demo Obama Shepard (Jack Poe Shepard) using ME2 facecode:

MassEffect3Demo2012-03-0417-00-56-33.jpg

I think I did better than my DA2 Obama Hawke:

ObamaHawke-1.jpg

Here is what Jack Poe is going to actually look like in ME3, since Lazarus has begun breaking down his system:

MassEffect3Demo2012-03-0417-03-46-17.jpg

Top Bottom