• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

REV 09

listened to the OST twice today. I like it, but it isn't as good as ME1. It may be as good as ME2..ME2's OST was actually quite bloated, but there was some good stuff mixed in. ME3's OST is smaller than 2's...only clocks in at about 70 minutes for all 25 tracks. I think it'll be very nice in game though.

rozay

Banned
I just made $75 ($35 and $40 for the collector rifle and N7 pack respectively) by selling pre-order DLC. I guess that pays for my CE :)

Fantomex

ME2 editor update (if you want to import)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...48836&pagenumber=156&perpage=40#post401201384

That's so cool for Rick to release the code and others get to continue with updates and stuff :)

Pordis Shepard recently updated the save editor again to allow for more editing.

http://social.bioware.com/project/4373/
9emVc.png

xbox save manipulations http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/128/index/2277020/1

Quoted for awesomeness. Thank You. I hope I never need it.

Bowdz

That's so conflicting :(

Based on the video preview from IGN, it looks great IMO. As a HUGE fan of the Citadel layout from ME1, I would definitely say it looks like Bioware took the best of ME1 and ME2 to make a large, detailed, interactive Citadel that continues to expand upon the common themes, locations, and personas that they have built up in the past to iterations. If your purchase of ME3 really does hinge on the quality of the Citadel, I would watch the IGN preview. It has some minor spoilers about crew and some of the missions on the station.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51PGNZ2N08U

listened to the OST twice today. I like it, but it isn't as good as ME1. It may be as good as ME2..ME2's OST was actually quite bloated, but there was some good stuff mixed in. ME3's OST is smaller than 2's...only clocks in at about 70 minutes for all 25 tracks. I think it'll be very nice in game though.

I have literally been listening to "Mars" on repeat for the past hour and loving every minute of it. It has all the glorious synth of ME1 with some of the more pointed action of the ME2 soundtrack. Easily one of my favorite ME tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Ue...xt=C3f35f23UDOEgsToPDskInzMhQd3DWw4YPuFCvYp6f

Stantron

Finished my renegade shep play through this weekend 1) because I hadn't played that way yet, and 2) to re-familiarize myself with the story. Poor Thane didn't make it. I botched his loyalty mission. Oh well. Can't wait for Tues. Will see if I can snag a CE early morning at Target or BB.

I find it unfortunate many will probably dismiss IGN's review if it gets a high score and because it's "lolexclusive". As if the other 98% of review sites won't give it a high score as well after the embargoes are up.

Megasoum

Banned
I find it unfortunate many will probably dismiss IGN's review if it gets a high score and because it's "lolexclusive". As if the other 98% of review sites won't give it a high score as well after the embargoes are up.

I see it the other way around... I have a feeling that all the sites will give it a super high score no matter what problems the game have. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to play the game and I'm sure it's gonna be amazing but for a game that big and with so much hype, the journalists always overscore everything and ignore all the issues.

Dresden

We'll dismiss it because it's IGN. Lol.

GSR

It a new option separate from the 3 modes. You can see it toggled in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUBpuG_oYME [WARNING SHOWS THE NORMANDY AND CONVERSATION WITH ONE CREWMEMBER]

The description reads (when enabled) : All conversations require participation. No choices are made for you.

When disabled : All conversation play automatically. Responses are chosen for you.

Yeah, but at the same time (at least from what I've seen) the cutscenes seem to drag on and on. I generally don't really like games that interrupt gameplay with lots of little passive cutscenes and that's what seems to be the case in ME3. Like some of the cutscenes might give you a choice but then it just keeps going on for minutes until it ends with nothing else for the player to do, no follow up choices or anything.

Its not that there is a lack of dialogue, but there seems to be a lack of very much player input. That player input in dialogue is part of what makes an RPG an RPG for me, even if its just essentially letting me pick the tone Shepard says something or his opinion on a subject. I'd prefer to be able to express certain opinions my Shepard has on certain topics as opposed to BioWare hijacking him to say some pithy remark that doesn't make sense based on how I've played him in prior games.

I'm thinking of a couple big examples I saw in some streams, but since no spoilers, I'll hold my tongue. It just seems like BioWare took a much heavier hand in characterizing Shepard their way than in prior games.

Yeesh. So the consensus seems to be that only really important characters/scenes get full conversations, while more minor ones are mostly autodialogue? A damn pity; like has been mentioned in this thread, it's nice to have the ability to define your Shepard's personality beyond the BIG EPIC CHOICE moments. Not to mention that the more in-depth conversations let you skip past topics you didn't care about.

Derrick01

Banned

Besides the fact that it's IGN, which is usually reason enough to dismiss a review, I'm already going to dismiss it because the reviewer said the whole franchise was the best story in gaming ever. I just cannot take a reviewer who believes that seriously.

I have literally been listening to "Mars" on repeat for the past hour and loving every minute of it. It has all the glorious synth of ME1 with some of the more pointed action of the ME2 soundtrack. Easily one of my favorite ME tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Ue...xt=C3f35f23UDOEgsToPDskInzMhQd3DWw4YPuFCvYp6f

.... holy fffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

That is probably better than the Prothean Theme from ME1.

Except it is not because nothing can beat the Prothean theme.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

I used both my gfs laptops (XP and 7) to try this and fail miserably because for some reason they just didn't want to open the file format and the second couldn't even detect it no matter what I tried, I then ended up going back to my mac and using cros over to run a different program an extract and finally got the saves to open and get the stuff I needed.

The code it throws out looks better than my go at making them again, not perfect, but it will do I guess.

It doesn't help ME3 character kinda looks off from ME1/2 visually anyway making them look odd, but I will survive, I still don't think it was ok to just not mention this importing trouble at all though.

Wiggum2007

It doesn't help ME3 character kinda looks off from ME1/2 visually anyway making them look odd, but I will survive, I still don't think it was ok to just not mention this importing trouble at all though.

Y'know I've noticed that not just your Shepard, but pretty much every returning human character we've seen looks a bit different this go around, Anderson, Udina, Ashley/Kaiden, etc. Wonder if it was just something with the changes made to the engine between games.

Zeal

Banned
Quick question for ME3.

Is your ability to intimidate and answer choices that are normally grayed out, is this based on your renegade level? What I'm asking is your ability to persuade or have extra dialogue choices. I'm assuming it's like the other games, but I just want to be sure.

.... holy fffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.

That is probably better than the Prothean Theme from ME1.

Except it is not because nothing can beat the Prothean theme.

The music in this game is godly. It has the synth style of ME1, with the epicness some of the ME2 tracks had, all blended together. Altogether it sounds much darker, more serious, and foreboding. The music in this game is absolutely mindblowing.

My favorite track still is whenever you're talking with the Illusive Man and you hear his theme kick in. One of the most epic in the series...it really represents the soul of what ME is about. You can feel it.

Quick question for ME3.

Is your ability to intimidate and answer choices that are normally grayed out, is this based on your renegade level? What I'm asking is your ability to persuade or have extra dialogue choices. I'm assuming it's like the other games, but I just want to be sure.

Yes, even though both Paragon and Renegade are now a part of the same Reputation meter.

LuchaShaq

Banned
My guess is that they are pre-determined choice that are just picked for you. Doesn't matter what you did before, they just pick the same for everyone.

LuchaShaq, can you spoiler tag that?

I'll tag it but I have no idea what you are asking me to tag?

A Wrex/Garrus/Shepherd council+dictatorship is just a joke...not an actual ending....unless the joke is you asking me to spoiler tag it?

rozay

Banned
Did Jack Wall do the rest?
Jack Wall left, Sam Hulick from ME1 did some tracks and the rest are the 2 composers who did the Kasumi&Arrival soundtrack (Cris Velasco, Sascha Dikiciyan) and the composer who did the Overlord and Shadow Broker soundtrack, chris lennertz

Mars is entirely Sam Hulick, btw.

Vamphuntr

I shouldn't have preordered it. Went shopping during the weekend and saw the game for sale at 2 locations (1 Wal-Mart and 1 Microplay). Didn't feel like buying it then selling my preordere copy on ebay. Wal-Mart had a stack of CEs too so I don't think they are that rare.

Anyway I played the game a bit friday night at friend's place. Gameplay is definitely better than 2. Didn't play much since it wasn't my game and my save but it seems even more over the top than 2 story wise.

Bowdz

The music in this game is godly. It has the synth style of ME1, with the epicness some of the ME2 tracks had, all blended together. Altogether it sounds much darker, more serious, and foreboding. The music in this game is absolutely mindblowing.

I completely agree. I love the track that plays in the introduction of game/demo up to the start of the gameplay. Very ominous with the signature ME synth to top it all off. The composers really seemed to nail the appropriate atmosphere in the OST.

GorillaJu

Is anyone else ordering on PSN? Wondering how the pre-order works. Is it going to be available at midnight (what time zone), and can I pre-download it before and start playing it at midnight? Or do I start DLing at 12?

Would really appreciate some help I anyone knows.

Pollux

Negative. That segment was shown with the Full Decisions option + RPG mode. This is the most choices you might have during a conversation.

All I have to say to that is "fuck you BioWare". They're really earning their reputation if this is the way average conversations are going to be through the entire game.

Besides the fact that it's IGN, which is usually reason enough to dismiss a review, I'm already going to dismiss it because the reviewer said the whole franchise was the best story in gaming ever. I just cannot take a reviewer who believes that seriously.

So you don't take me seriously? :'(

A tweet from the Mass Effect twitter account suggests that you will be able to import the appearance of a character that originated in Mass Effect 1 and was imported into ME 2. Obviously, this is not the case now because many people have confirmed that it isn't working. However, this may indicate a day one patch is coming or it confirms that whoever is in charge of updating the Mass Effect twitter account has no idea what they are talking about.

ZrATb.png

I guess take that for what it's worth.

Dany

Banned
2 songs on the OST, the Earth theme and one of the important themes near the end. This doesn't necessarily mean that's all he did as the OSTs generally don't have everything.

Those are my two favoraite tracks. The rest are great, the DLC score is great, glad to see those folks did the ME3 OST, it really is something special.

soultron

Banned
A tweet from the Mass Effect twitter account suggests that you will be able to import the appearance of a character that originated in Mass Effect 1 and was imported into ME 2. Obviously, this is not the case now because many people have confirmed that it isn't work. However, this may indicate a day one patch is coming or it confirms that whoever is in charge of updating the Mass Effect twitter account has no idea what they are talking about.

ZrATb.png

Man, that first tweet reads like it was written by a PR rep. Haha.

I hope the import option works well.

Bah. I always have pre buyers remorse to new games. I want this but I don't want it. What to do!?!?!

I'm really having to watch my budget until next term, so I think I'll be holding off on this for a while.

Hopefully I can pick it up for a bit cheaper with a gift voucher. Can't wait though - have to replay 2 prior first so that's something for me to do.

Derrick01

Banned
So you don't take me seriously? :'(

You're not a professional reviewer (I'm assuming). I expect reviewers to be extremely knowledgeable of the genre if they're going to make statements like that and I'd like to see how he can defend that crazy statement when there's probably a dozen RPGs that have better stories and writing than any of the ME games, other than throwing out a lame "uhh..it's just my opinion!" statement and letting it rest.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Dat club music!

I hope we get another scene with Shepard dancing like a boss.

The soundtrack is amazing overall. I only skimmed through a playlist on YouTube so I wouldn't spoil it all (and to try to avoid spoilers in comments). I think they really nailed a mix between ME1 and ME2 music.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Y'know I've noticed that not just your Shepard, but pretty much every returning human character we've seen looks a bit different this go around, Anderson, Udina, Ashley/Kaiden, etc. Wonder if it was just something with the changes made to the engine between games.

It is strange, I'm not sure if they tried to be less shiny and make everything a little more realistic looking or something, no film grain also makes everything look cleaner compared to the previous two if you didn't turn it off.

Either way, Bioware have made some very odd decisions for a 3rd game in this trilogy following Shepard.

rozay

Banned
A tweet from the Mass Effect twitter account suggests that you will be able to import the appearance of a character that originated in Mass Effect 1 and was imported into ME 2. Obviously, this is not the case now because many people have confirmed that it isn't working. However, this may indicate a day one patch is coming or it confirms that whoever is in charge of updating the Mass Effect twitter account has no idea what they are talking about.

http://i.imgur.com/ZrATb.png

they're PR, they probably aren't aware of the ME1 import issue.

You're not a professional reviewer (I'm assuming). I expect reviewers to be extremely knowledgeable of the genre if they're going to make statements like that and I'd like to see how he can defend that crazy statement when there's probably a dozen RPGs that have better stories and writing than any of the ME games, other than throwing out a lame "uhh..it's just my opinion!" statement and letting it rest.

Except it is just his opinion. Why is your opinion more valid then his anyways? I wasn't aware that reviewers aren't allowed to have a favorite series. If X says the ME series is his favorite, why is that opinion wrong? Because you don't agree therefore you're right and he's wrong?

it's amazing how you dismiss a review simply because he likes what you don't like. Serious. You people complain when reviewers have a hivemind and rate COD high, yet, demand them to give your favorite games perfect scores or else they're wrong/

Bowdz

26 hours guys!

It's crazy to think about. I'm planning on trying to get 5 or so hours of sleep in before midnight tomorrow to marathon the game from launch with the only breaks being classes in the morning and evening. For anyone who has pre-loaded a game on Steam or Origin before, how long does the installation/verification/unlock process take when it goes live?

they're PR, they probably aren't aware of the ME1 import issue.

Yeah, I know. But I would hope they would either ignore specific questions about the game, if they don't know the answer or they would seek out someone who does know.

But to be honest, I wouldn't blame them for making that assumption. I never considered that not being able to import the face of my Shepard from ME 1 was a possibility until I heard about it today.

Top Bottom