• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 |OT| Space Jesus Returns (tag all spoilers)

Kem0sabe

Sadly, from what i can see of the extended playthroughs online, most player conversations only have 2 choices in the dialogue wheel, and some major decisions are made without any player input at all.

I find this worrying, with each passing game, bioware seems to be focused more on the cinematic feel instead of actually giving control over to the player :(

Rengoku

Just finished it, goddamn... that was fucking amazing. I need time to process it all.

It took me 40 hours exactly to finish the campaign in RPG mode. I tried to do as much planet scanning and side quests. But I was also trying to get through it quickly, if I had paced myself better, I can see it being a 50 hour game.

Framerate and some graphical glitches really bummed me out on the PS3 version. Definitely be replaying on PC. Otherwise, just a stellar game.

GlamFM

Banned
This thread is moving so fast I can´t keep track of the opinions from people who played it.

What´s is the general opinion? Yay or nay?

Kem0sabe

Just finished it, goddamn... that was fucking amazing. I need time to process it all.

It took me 40 hours exactly to finish the campaign in RPG mode. I tried to do as much planet scanning and side quests. But I was also trying to get through it quickly, if I had paced myself better, I can see it being a 50 hour game.

Framerate and some graphical glitches really bummed me out on the PS3 version. Definitely be replaying on PC. Otherwise, just a stellar game.

Ca you confirm or not that the dialogue is somewhat devoid of choice and if there´s a small number of "blue / red" dialogue choices?

Also, are companion npc´s more like Zaeed with no dialogue wheel interaction inside the ship?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Anyone played the PC version? Are the cloth/armor textures just as bad as in the demo screenshots i've seen? They looked worse than in ME2.

So the only digital items that CE get is that additional squad member that I can buy for 10$ when the game launches?

Soundtracks, alternative clothing for squadmates, robo dog and the extra squaddie plus forum avatars

And yes, you can buy the dlc on their forums using "BioWare points" and its also available on Origin

@Bisnic

Its not that bad, its just a bit muddy, in my own eyes

Dilly

Banned
2 days. My Hype meter is through the roof. I'm glad I held myself to the partial media-blackout.

It would have been even cooler if I wasn't spoiled on the DLC squadmate though.

Welp, I'm going with the PS3 version. IGN's "review in progress" mentions that the PS3 version suffers from framerate issues and texture pop-in, but apparently they're just minor when going through the game. I probably should go with the 360 version, but I'll wait and see.

hqvJI.png

rafresh-refresh-F5-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-185.gif

Kem0sabe

Hmm, did they remove all the "mini games" from the game? people are claiming that hacking was removed entirely.

Also WTF is going on with all the auto dialogue? seems most of your time talking is spent in cinematics with no player input?

Solo

I'll be picking up the game tomorrow morning like everyone else, but I never start a new game until I'm done with my current one, and it will probably take me like another 2 weeks to finish off Dark Souls.

So by the time I get to ME3, GAF will have beaten it several times over. I need to bail out of this thread come tomorrow :_(

Hmm, did they remove all the "mini games" from the game? people are claiming that hacking was removed entirely.

Also WTF is going on with all the auto dialogue? seems most of your time talking is spent in cinematics with no player input?

Maybe people playing the wrong mode? In the action mode ther are only cutscenes in the rpg mode there is some options while speaking and some are just automatically and in the story mode you can answer everything how you wish

Arjen

This week wil be brutal, buch of people wil have it tomorrow, while we Euros have to wait till thursday.

Bisnic

Maybe people playing the wrong mode? In the action mode ther are only cutscenes in the rpg mode there is some options while speaking and some are just automatically and in the story mode you can answer everything how you wish

Story mode having more dialogue options than RPG mode, which is also easier in combat than RPG, would be quite disappointing to some.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

If the demo is anything to go by they appear to have removed hacking. When Shepard hacks the door it's totally automated, as long as you're aiming at the door's lock.

zonezeus

How are ME1 decisions handled in ME3 on Playstation 3? For example will I be able to
speak to non-human council since ME2 canon decision seems to be that the old non-human council is dead, along with Destiny Ascension
?

And hearing about framerate makes me a sad puppy. I can handle low res textures or lack of AA, but I'm a framerate whore and fps drops make me grind my teeth.

Dany

Banned
Story mode having more dialogue options than RPG mode, which is also easier in combat than RPG, would be quite disappointing to some.

Oh, that would be terrible.

I assumed you liked it then? :p

Bisnic

How are ME1 decisions handled in ME3 on Playstation 3? For example will I be able to
speak to non-human council since ME2 canon decision seems to be that the old non-human council is dead, along with Destiny Ascension
?

And hearing about framerate makes me a sad puppy. I can handle low res textures or lack of AA, but I'm a framerate whore and fps drops make me grind my teeth.

If you're a framerate whore, why not going with PC? If your PC is decent, you'll get 60 FPS.

protonion

Wait, what?!

Story/rpg modes were supposed to be just a difficulty setting for combat. There shouldn't be other differences.

Sai

Anybody that's preordered physical products from Origin in the past know if they ship on, or before the day of release?

Horror stories about the Star Wars: The Old Republic CE still have me worried. But if I have to wait a month until the game gets to me, it's my fault for cancelling my Gamestop preorder...:/

Didnt they say that Story mode was the full Mass Effect experience as we knew it from the whole series? I guess i will play story mode and increase the difficulty in the optipns

Sai

Wait, what?!

Story/rpg modes were supposed to be just a difficulty setting for combat. There shouldn't be other differences.
No, Story/RPG/Action Modes are there to determine the balance between combat and interactive dialogue. They are independent of the difficulty settings for combat that have been there since the first game.

Didnt they say that Story mode was the full Mass Effect experience as we knew it from the whole series?
That would be RPG Mode.

kmz

Neo Member
No, Story/RPG/Action Modes are there to determine the balance between combat and interactive dialogue. They are independent of the difficulty settings for combat that have been there since the first game.

I'm pretty sure Story/RPG/Action mode just pre-fills in the dialog type (choices/no choices)/combat difficulty (narrative/casual/normal/hardcore/insanity) options.

I advise everyone to take a look at the options tag independently of whether they choose RPG or Story mode since there is a total implication/semi automatic dialogue option, maybe some people are playing in RPG mode but somehow have the semi automatic dialogue option on.

protonion

OK I found this:

BioWare Breaks Down Mass Effect 3 Game Modes

"All these settings do is that they set some of the options on the option screen before you've played it and know what those options mean. Once you get in and start playing, you can change things," he said. "The story mode is actually just a difficulty setting. The action mode is actually just about choosing 'automatic dialogue'."

It's still possible to die in story mode, it's just quicker and easier to blow through the combat and get back to the serious business of macking on Jack. "You get through it faster. You can mow through enemies," he added. "Generally, if you're trying, you're not going to die."

Action mode, meanwhile, puts players on a "default path" that blends Paragon and Renegade actions, but Hudson was quick to clarify that "default" does not mean canon. "We have a rule in our franchise that there is no canon. You as a player decide what your story is," he said. "But we choose a default path that gives you access to a lot of cool things. It's like how a character like Jack Bauer has to make some decisions where he feels empathy in one moment or feels particularly brutal in another moment. We weave you through a default path that switches between those."

Story/rpg shouldn't have any differences in choices. It's nice that you can change them after starting a game.

Carbonox

RPG mode is the regular mode right (ala ME1 and 2 where everything is in your hands)? I totally forgot about these options. :lol

Rengoku

Ca you confirm or not that the dialogue is somewhat devoid of choice and if there´s a small number of "blue / red" dialogue choices?

Also, are companion npc´s more like Zaeed with no dialogue wheel interaction inside the ship?

There is quite alot of dialogue with choices for you to make, but most of the options aren't highlighted in blue or red. The ones that are highlighted I believe are ones that are unlocked based to your reputation level.

?

Sorry, I didn't have a ME1 or 2 save carried over, I started from scratch. I've played the series on 3 separate systems, so there was really no chance for me to port my saves.
The gameplay framerate was good enough, but yeah, the cutscenes are really choppy. I'm curious to see if the game performs better on a PS3 Slim.

Moaradin

There is quite alot of dialogue with choices for you to make, but most of the options aren't highlighted in blue or red. The ones that are highlighted I believe are ones that are unlocked based to your reputation level.

Sounds like ME1/ME2 to me.

Top Bottom