• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Dresden

When the entire game is about building up for the finish line, but the end is that bad, well, it takes the wind out of your sails.

senador

Banned
That wasn't really a knock on your feelings of the ending. I just find it kind of bizarre for you to sit here sighing and saying that any Omega DLC or stuff before the ending is now pointless to play because hey they'll all die. Does that take away whatever story might play out during the DLC? Does that take away whatever gameplay might happen during the DLC?

I mean Overlord barely had anything to do with anything, and was fairly pointless if you were looking for some sort of long term validation. Why play it? Because it was a fun mission with a nice little story. Who's to say Omega won't be? I mean I'm not saying it for sure will be, but dismissing it on the grounds that the ending spoils it before you even know what it's going to be about seems a little weird to me.

I was bitching because I just entered the angry stage. I'll still buy any ME3 DLC. For future ME or Bioware games though...I will wait for fan reaction and Feedback™.

An Omega DLC could be fun, I'd play it. It just feels odd though with that ending. I just have a bad taste in my mouth at the moment.

When the entire game is about building up for the finish line, but the end is that bad, well, it takes the wind out of your sails.

Basically this. This is like the only series that has connected with me emotionally. I'd be OK with a sad/hopeless/depressing ending, but this is depressing on so many wrong levels. So yeah, wind, sails, gone.

RDreamer

Because the actual gameplay that didn't revolve around choices, dialogue and a building story/world development were mediocre shooting bits with sticky controls, poor hit detection, terrible AI and watered down progression that has been outdone by nearly every other TPS on the market.

Was it good for FPS RPG combat? Fuck yes. But that doesn't mean people are anxious to go back to shoot more stuff with literally zero actualized context.

That's fair enough I suppose. I just didn't know how many people were playing this because of the RPG portion ONLY, and/or ONLY because of the notion that their choices would be validated later, and how many genuinely had fun with the gameplay and stuff as it was happening.

Personally, since I've got into Bioware games I really haven't given a damn about the outside framework story nearly at all. Their framework has been derivative and boring as shit (I've only played DA1 and 2, ME1,2, and 3). It's the smaller character stories and tinier missions that they seem to excel at. That's why I liked ME2 so much. They seemed to excel at the shorter character driven narratives. And then I liked the parts in ME3 that connected there. So I'm actually kind of interested to see more of Aria's character if they would put out some sort of DLC.

Omega

Banned
So, do you guys only play these games based on some sort of ultimate payoff later, or do you actually play them because they're fun right now?

Why would anyone do anything when it ultimately is meaningless?

That post game message of "enjoy our dlc!" was so insulting. Why would anyone want to buy DLC for a dead franchise?

People think this DLC is going to happen because some pre-release scripts but then these same people shoot down the IT theory. They wanted to do indoctrination as well but gave up because it was too hard to implement it the way they wanted too.

Yeah any DLC where you're helping some old friend do something to help prepare for the war... Bioware already ruined it by showing you not only will such a thing not make a lick of difference to the ending, but whoever you help is going to most likely die a horrible death via explosion/starvation/reaper blending/lawless riots.

The content itself would likely be good, as most of the ME3 missions were pretty good. It's just we can't unknow that it's all pointless.

Omega

Banned
I mean Overlord barely had anything to do with anything, and was fairly pointless if you were looking for some sort of long term validation.

You mean the only thing that comes close to justifying the Reapers/Catalysts claim that synthetics will kill all organics was pointless?

It's pretty much the only thing that anyone can use to support this retarded ending and reasoning as to why the Reapers reap. How is it pointless?

Not to mention it's not even the same situation. All the DLC was to build up to ME3. What's ME3 DLC supposed to build up to. Millions of people dying and galactic civilization being set back thousands of years? Yeah, no thanks. Keep your DLC. I don't even want it for free.

RDreamer

So would it be fair to say that your enjoyment only comes from the validation of your choices and nothing else in the game, really?

That post game message of "enjoy our dlc!" was so insulting. Why would anyone want to buy DLC for a dead franchise?

And would you never buy any small form story based DLC for a game that is literally a one-off, even though that franchise is dead?

DTKT

And really, you should let some time for everyone to cool off.

I currently have no interest in anything ME related. That might change in a month or two. Right now, if I think about Mass Effect, the only thing that comes up is that troll space kid.

Not exactly something that might encourage me to play the game. :|

Vamphuntr

Unless it's post ending DLC I won't buy any. No point in buying a DLC taking place before the mission on Earth for me. I know it will have no impact on the ending anyway and I'm not a big fan of the level designs/wave of enemies in the game. Furthermore it's probably going to be a DLC where only Shepard and a new character have dialogue while the rest of the crew is silent or have a canned reply that is recycled from the core game. The best part of the ME series has been the interactions with squadmates and their comments on mission. Moreover, I'm already level 60 so no exp gain from it either.

Omega

Banned
So would it be fair to say that your enjoyment only comes from the validation of your choices and nothing else in the game, really?

What other reason is there to play ME? It's a game that the developers kept talking about choices and how much they matter. If you're not playing for that, what are you playing for?

The gameplay? Ha. This is a average shooter and a terrible RPG. What made Mass Effect great was the universe which is now dead.

There's better shooters out there and way better RPGs.

Dresden

I went from grief -> denial (this is where I stopped chatting and looked up other endings in hopes that I did something wrong) -> grief -> rage -> grief -> acceptance. That acceptance has now turned to apathy.

Really, I don't give a fuck about any DLC anymore. I'll come back for a new ending but if it's just a few more lines to 'clarify' things, then fuck it.

It's the glowy, reaper controlling, illogical, magical space god that kills my desire to go back. Knowing that he's out there killing all intelligent life in the galaxy to prevent synthetics from killing all the life in the galaxy, with his herd of synthetics. Knowing that every time I go to the Citadel, he's there.

That actually brings up a question. Why the fuck do the keepers need to activate the Citadel when the real mastermind behind the reaper cycle fucking lives in the citadel? Man, fuck that shitty shitty ending.

Zeliard

I went from grief -> denial (this is where I stopped chatting and looked up other endings in hopes that I did something wrong) -> grief -> rage -> grief -> acceptance. That acceptance has now turned to apathy.

Really, I don't give a fuck about any DLC anymore. I'll come back for a new ending but if it's just a few more lines to 'clarify' things, then fuck it.

Apathy is actually a form of denial, as you are trying to fool yourself into thinking you no longer care. You haven't reached True Acceptance yet. It shall come, my son.

Yeah, I've been pretty apathetic about he franchise and bioware as a whole these past few weeks, the only reason I'm not completely done is because I'm still holding out hope for a COMPLETE retcon of the ending.

Dresden

Apathy is actually a form of denial, as you are trying to fool yourself into thinking you no longer care. You haven't reached True Acceptance yet. It shall come, my son.

I really don't care anymore.

I really don't.

ibrLxVLqszpin4.gif

RDreamer

What other reason is there to play ME? It's a game that the developers kept talking about choices and how much they matter. If you're not playing for that, what are you playing for?

The gameplay? Ha. This is a average shooter and a terrible RPG. What made Mass Effect great was the universe which is now dead.

There's better shooters out there and way better RPGs.

I play ME for the story, but I don't really care about my own choices at all. It's cool seeing what carries over, but I don't play it for that at all. It's a nice cinematic experience with some deep lore, and enough wiggle room in the choices that it's kind of a neat little gimmick to me. As I said in my last post, Bioware, from what I've played, absolutely sucks at its framework stories, though. I don't think highly of them at all. They're either derivative and boring or shitty. But the smaller micro stories and characters are actually really good. Honestly they could take away the dialogue wheel, and I'd still probably play the game. I mean I'd be a bit less interested, but I'd still play it and still probably like it.

As for gameplay: I actually like the gameplay. As a third person shooter it's pretty decently fun. It's not Uncharted or anything, but I actually prefer the way it plays to Gears of War, honestly.

am i the only one who liked the ending?

I don't mind it. I know it's got a few pretty large plotholes in it, but I don't mind the general idea, and I applaud them for taking a chance with it.

Zeliard

No you Zeliard, Shepard(GAF User), and the gaming press you are in good company.

Hey I have my share of misgivings about it. Namely everything involving the Catalyst, which I thought could have been significantly better-handled (and Harbinger, wtf). But I don't think it's the abject horror that many others do, no. :p

Hey I have my share of misgivings about it. Namely everything involving the Catalyst, which I thought could have been significantly better-handled (and Harbinger, wtf). But I don't think it's the abject horror that many others do, no. :p

My bad I thought you were one the hardcore defenders. I apologize for lumping you in with the crazies.

Vamphuntr

It's the glowy, reaper controlling, illogical, magical space god that kills my desire to go back. Knowing that he's out there killing all intelligent life in the galaxy to prevent synthetics from killing the all life in the galaxy, with his herd of synthetics. Knowing that every time I go to the Citadel, he's there.

That actually brings up a question. Why the fuck do the keepers need to activate the Citadel when the real mastermind behind the reaper cycle fucking lives in the citadel? Man, fuck that shitty shitty ending.

They really had issues with the the Citadel as whole in the 3 games.

ME1

-The Citadel is a trap laid by the Reapers
-The Citadel controls all the mass relays
-The Keepers are the key to take control of the Citadel
-The Protheans that survived on Ilos went back and hacked the Citadel to prevent the Reapers to take control of it from afar through the keepers
-Reapers' master plan is to take control of the citadel, close all mass relays and eradicate the central intergalactic government.
-Saren, indoctrinated by Sovereign, has a convoluted plan to reach the council chamber of the Citadel where there is a hidden master control panel. Plan involve finding the Conduit through the use of a Rachni Queen. Saren had access to the room in the first place as a Spectre.

ME2

-If you did Choban quest in ME1 you get a message from him saying the Keepers are changing and are sending a modified signal. It implies the Reapers are coming/controlling them even if it's supposed to be impossible according to ME1 and what the protheans did.

ME3

-For some reason the Reapers leave the Citadel alone for the whole game even if their master plan involve using the Citadel to close the relays.
-The Citadel contains the master Reaper AI/Space Kid
-The Crucible can modify the Citadel to control reapers or merge synthetic and organic life for some reason.
-Crucible is the result of multiple civilizations from multiple cycles. This means they all build an incredible weapon/space magic gizmo and improved it from generations to generations without even knowing what it does as the space kid said Shepard was the first to make it up there. No way they could have known how it would change the Citadel
-Space kid had control over the Citadel in the first place

Find the logic flaws in the story.

Zeliard

My bad I thought you were one the hardcore defenders. I apologize for lumping you in with the crazies.

I'm mainly just intrigued by the huge negative response to it. I find it pretty interesting to witness, especially what Bioware's DLC response will be. And then what the response to THAT will be, haha.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Are they really the crazies?

Here are the results for the cnet poll, unless it's still going. (I don't know since it's a Friday Poll.) Statistically speaking it's rare, meaning less than or equal to 5%, for people to like it.

ibgU4uoHg5jk1U.png

Tajin

Banned

Here are the results for the cnet poll, unless it's still going. (I don't know since it's a Friday Poll.) Statistically speaking it's rare (meaning less than 5%) for people to like it.

ibgU4uoHg5jk1U.png

But that's just what gaming journalists call a "vocal minority"!

ME2

-If you did Choban quest in ME1 you get a message from him saying the Keepers are changing and are sending a modified signal. It implies the Reapers are coming/controlling them even if it's supposed to be impossible according to ME1 and what the protheans did.

There are a lot of flaws with the Reapers, Citadel, and Catalyst. Chorban's email is not one. All he says is that they are supposed to send a signal not that they are changing.

Here it is in full

I hope this address still works. I promised to send you intel on the keepers if I found anything, and this is important. See, those scans you took? It turns out the keepers are bio-engineered...and based on my comparisons to some of that material from Saren's flagship Sovereign, they were engineered millions of years ago...by the same people who made Sovereign!

You may not understand how important this is, but it suggests that the Citadel wasn't really made by the Protheans! It may have been made by something far older, with the keepers as organic guardians. And what's more, based on my genetic readings, they're supposed to react to...something, some signal or something...about every 50 thousand years. You can measure genetic variances; it's a bit like comparing rings on a tree to see the drought years.

Whoever did this...well, around the last time this signal went off would be around the time the Protheans disappeared. And it's scheduled to go off sometime around now. If any old tech still works, they could have some nasty surprises waiting for us.

Just thought you'd want to know. Nobody here on the Citadel will listen to me.

-Chorban

Here are the results for the cnet poll, unless it's still going. (I don't know since it's a Friday Poll.) Statistically speaking it's rare (meaning less than 5%) for people to like it.

I'm calling the pro ending people the crazies. I think the current ending is terrible on several levels.

RDreamer

But that's just what gaming journalists call a "vocal minority"!

If ME2 was any clue, then technically speaking, those that had a problem with the ending could be in the vocal minority... of the total people that played the game. lol

rlOVH.jpg

Can't believe only 50% of the people that started ME2 actually finished it.

If ME2 was any clue, then technically speaking, those that had a problem with the ending could be in the vocal minority... of the total people that played the game. lol

rlOVH.jpg

I can't believe that 50% of the people continued from ME1. Not really pulling in the dude bros, are you Bioware.

edit: Also, are those recent stats? Because my ME2 playthrough was about 66 hours, but that is because I would just minimize and let it run in the background. I think it is actually impossible to have a legit playtime that long.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
If ME2 was any clue, then technically speaking, those that had a problem with the ending could be in the vocal minority... of the total people that played the game.

http://i.imgur.com/rlOVH.jpg

That's actually a good statistic. That means that half of the people who got it, finished it. Generally speaking, completion rates are very low.

I'm calling the pro ending people the crazies. I think the current ending is terrible on several levels.
I know you were. It was rhetorical.

ME2

My understanding of this was that Chorban was just late to the party with all the Keeper shenanigans at the end of Mass effect 1. But I could be wrong.

ME3

-For some reason the Reapers leave the Citadel alone for the whole game even if their master plan involve using the Citadel to close the relays.
-The Citadel contains the master Reaper AI/Space Kid
-The Crucible can modify the Citadel to control reapers or merge synthetic and organic life for some reason.
-Crucible is the result of multiple civilizations from multiple cycles. This means they all build an incredible weapon/space magic gizmo and improved it from generations to generations without even knowing what it does as the space kid said Shepard was the first to make it up there. No way they could have known how it would change the Citadel
-Space kid had control over the Citadel in the first place

Find the logic flaws in the story.

This is all totally true; in particular, I think it's crazy that the game doesn't start with a scramble to destroy/hide/something the citadel to stop the Reapers from bum rushing it, turning off the relays, and winning instantly. If I was the reapers that's what I would do at least. You know, because Sovereign almost pulled off 'alone' and all. Could have been a great decision point, citadel must be destroyed to stop Reapers from disabling the relays: do you a) order the fleet to hold and allow everyone to evacuate, losing a substantial chunk of the military might of the galaxy but saving hundreds of thousands of the galaxy's best and brightest, or do you sacrifice all those lives (the council?) in order to remain strong in the 'conventional' fleet war? Would have been neat, and made more sense. Oh well I guess.

RDreamer

That's actually a good statistic. That means that half of the people who got it, finished it. Generally speaking, completion rates are very low.

Yeah, I know there are some games that are way lower. I think I remember reading some statistic on Grand Theft Auto IV and that had a really low percentage.

Have to wonder if a higher percentage will finish 3 just to see what all the fuss is.

rozay

Banned

People think this DLC is going to happen because some pre-release scripts but then these same people shoot down the IT theory. They wanted to do indoctrination as well but gave up because it was too hard to implement it the way they wanted too.
It's likely because Aria's comic series was called the "Prequel to Mass Effect 3" in the comic itself and I think there were some Omega related missions in the script leak, they already have the missions written up all they'd have to do is build them. Also, compare the way Aria responds to the dialogue option regarding taking it back with Liara's dialogue about finding the shadow broker in ME2 when you don't have LOTSB.

Don't know what this has to do with Indoctrination Theory aside from the fact that the former exists and the other was pulled out of the ass of people in denial.

gohepcat

Banned
am i the only one who liked the ending?

Not at all. I really, really enjoyed the ending.

Anything with a very long story line seems to attract these aspergers sufferers who can't deal with every story line being neatly rapped up. Just look at the people who couldn't deal with end ending of Lost, or The Sopranos, or any long running sci-fi series.

I could have told you 4 years ago that people were going to lose their shit when this game ended.

Anything with a very long story line seems to attract these aspergers sufferers who can't deal with every story line being neatly rapped up. Just look at the people who couldn't deal with end ending of Lost, or The Sopranos, or any long running sci-fi series.

I could have told you 4 years ago that people were going to lose their shit when this game ended.

Lol. U serious dawg?

ME1

-The Citadel is a trap laid by the Reapers
-The Citadel controls all the mass relays
-The Keepers are the key to take control of the Citadel
-The Protheans that survived on Ilos went back and hacked the Citadel to prevent the Reapers to take control of it from afar through the keepers
-Reapers' master plan is to take control of the citadel, close all mass relays and eradicate the central intergalactic government.
-Saren, indoctrinated by Sovereign, has a convoluted plan to reach the council chamber of the Citadel where there is a hidden master control panel. Plan involve finding the Conduit through the use of a Rachni Queen. Saren had access to the room in the first place as a Spectre.

I'm going to risk sounding stupid here but, I thought Saren's mission to find the Conduit was to find out what the protheans had done to prevent the keepers from activating the Citadel. The direct assault on the Citadel by Sovereign and Saren was an act of desperation that they resorted to only because Shepard had discovered the Reapers' plot.

Seriously that's the insult you are going to throw out? A potentially debilitating social disorder is the insult you want to use to discredit people who have a differing opinion then you? Fuck Off! Everybody in this thread who has dislike the ending has given some pretty well thought out answers as to why and you should do the same to defend your own opinion. Seeing how this is your first post in the thread maybe you aren't capable of that?

Because that's the problem. Again.

/sigh

Maybe Shephards lover in the game is actually pregnant with his child who will then 20 years later travel through the Galaxies re-establishing the mass effect relays in another mass effect trilogy??

DTKT

classy.

Zen

Banned
I'm going to risk sounding stupid here but, I thought Saren's mission to find the Conduit was to find out what the protheans had done to prevent the keepers from activating the Citadel. The direct assault on the Citadel by Sovereign and Saren was an act of desperation that they resorted to only because Shepard had discovered the Reapers' plot.

And Saren was already disgraced and outlawed so it isn't like he could just walk back onto the citadel.

Well, Asperger's is a difficulty with communication, right? So I think they are more likely to play the game, and to communicate about it on a message board rather than in person. He could be right!

I bitch about it in person and online, so I don't fall into his category, unfortunately. I also am cool with Lost and Sopranos. Battle Star Galactica was the worst, but at least you could see its stupidity coming.

Rodhull

Wow, classy guy.

Top Bottom