• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Wrex was always my bro number 1 in ME1. Garrus moved up to number 1 since Wrex took an extended vacation.

Still doesn't warrant any forgiveness for Magic Mac.

Derrick01

Banned
The man is a good character writer at his best, but he should never have been allowed within a mile of the main plot, at least without the intervention of a staff who could keep him in check. For whatever reason, Casey Hudson thought otherwise. More than anything, I wonder what these two are thinking about this whole situation.

Yup some people are head coaches and some are better off as offensive/defensive coordinators. Drew kept Mac in check in ME1 but once he left they stupidly promoted Mac. That was the end of this franchise right there.

elfinke

So is Spacechild on the same level as Jar Jar Binks?

I replayed the ending again (I obviously switched off the first time around - I thought there were only two options, er colours - to choose from), and it occurred to me, rather frustratingly, how fucking stupid the entire crucible is. You spend an entire game building the thing, getting scientists on board and sheer resources to help build it. At no point does anyone say, "hey, this thing we built, it looks like it can do 3 different things, you ought to prepare yourself!". The logistics of the physical side of the crucible are absurd in the extreme.

I thought Liara was well written in ME 1, Shadow Broker and ME 3. Her introduction was one of my favorite scenes in the original game and I particularly liked the way she reacted to Javik throughout ME 3. I, actually, shared her disappointment in the real Prothean culture.

Tajin

Banned

I replayed the ending again (I obviously switched off the first time around - I thought there were only two options, er colours - to choose from), and it occurred to me, rather frustratingly, how fucking stupid the entire crucible is. You spend an entire game building the thing, getting scientists on board and sheer resources to help build it. At no point does anyone say, "hey, this thing we built, it looks like it can do 3 different things, you ought to prepare yourself!". The logistics of the physical side of the crucible are absurd in the extreme.

Imagine if Jar Jar Binks first appeared at the end of Star Wars: Episode 3 and ordered Anakin to kill all the Jedi to save the galaxy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The crucible being a mysterious multi-millennia long collaboration between numerous dead ancient civilizations with the obvious logistic hole in how everybody can work together towards a project with no known function or operation surprisingly didn't bother me. My leniency with the sci-fi universe of Mass Effect is knows almost no bounds.

It's the Catalyst and everything else that follows that really grinds my gears.

Moaradin

I thought Liara was well written in ME 1, Shadow Broker and ME 3. Her introduction was one of my favorite scenes in the original game and I particularly liked the way she reacted to Javik throughout ME 3. I, actually, shared her disappointment in the real Prothean culture.

Watching Liara progress in ME3 was great. All her life she studied the protheans and it turned out, everything she thought she knew was wrong. Her being in denial about her races origins and her fight with Javik were both great.

The crucible being a mysterious multi-millennia long collaboration between numerous dead ancient civilizations with the obvious logistic hole in how everybody can work together towards a project with no known function or operation surprisingly didn't bother me. My leniency with the sci-fi universe of Mass Effect is knows almost no bounds.

Yea, I had no issue with the crucible. I actually kinda liked that the game revolved around getting everyone to help build it. Yea, it was a plot device, but it wasn't something that came out of nowhere in the last act of the game. It felt like a long term effort to me.

The thing is, it is said at some point that the earlier designs didn't include the Catalyst but it didn't work. At some point they realized that the flaw in the design was the lack of a magic glowing child god.

senador

Banned

You know, I haven't thought much about this part. I accepted it too. I wondered what it'd do, but I was fine with it.

That said, how the fuck did it end up being like controlled by the Reapers? Cycle after cycle collaborated to build....the home of the Reaper leader boy fucker? :/

Even that would be explained by IT. Whether planned or not, I really want IT to be embraced by Bioware.

You know it might be a small insignificant thing, but i wanted some dialogue between Wrex and Aria.

Along this line, I wanted to fight alongside Wrex again. In fact, I wanted to fight with all my former crew. It may have been cheesy story wise, but every time I met up with an old crew member, I wanted them to become a member of my squad for that mission.

I could accept a lot of that stuff to, but the idea that the Reapers never noticed it existence or in turn the Catalyst who must have known it existed for it be able to effect it the way it did is kind of stretching it for me. Wouldn't they have wanted to prevent those plans from proceeding to the next cycle as much as they would want to wipe out evidence of their own existence and cycles of before? Unless the Catalyst was always built to incorporate the Crucible and for whatever reason it never happened.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Well yeah, that's what I mean by the whole Catalyst thing. That's when the logistical errors with the Crucible become all the more obvious, as the device's purpose and structure is made even more confusing by a space ghost that controls the Reapers.

Zeliard

Am confused by this ending? I didn't know i had to pick a side or anything. I just walked straight up the middle thinking I would be given a choice. Cutscene and apparently I chose to destroy the mass relays. However what actually happens? Could I have chose something different?

I wonder how many people actually missed this, lol. When Dresden said earlier that he didn't realize there were three options there, I thought he was joking.

You know it might be a small insignificant thing, but i wanted some dialogue between Wrex and Aria.

Considering they were willing to reveal who Liara's father was I'm guessing they would have liked to show they player who Aria was before, but due to the logistic of the Omega stuff being cut they couldn't follow through on that. maybe when they put out the Omega DLC they will follow through. It would probably require Aria getting on the Normandy at some point and having Wrex on at the same time.

elfinke

I wonder how many people actually missed this, lol. When Dresden said earlier that he didn't realize there were three options there, I thought he was joking.

Yep I completely missed the middle option as well. Didn't even occur to me it was an option. Admittedly I wasn't paying a great deal of attention by then though.

senador

Banned
Man, I forgive games for a lot. I don't expect perfection from them, ever. Fuck this fucking ending though. I haven't been mad til this point really. Just fuck. Goddammit.

senador

Banned
Is the "Omega DLC" stuff I keep hearing about just rumors based on Aria losing it, or has that been hinted at or announced?

Haha, just thinking about that... Makes no sense to put it after the game, and put it before the ending and there is no fucking point. Either way, and there's no way to ever get to Omega again. Such would be the case with all DLC. Grrrrrrr.

Omega

Banned
Considering they were willing to reveal who Liara's father was I'm guessing they would have liked to show they player who Aria was before, but due to the logistic of the Omega stuff being cut they couldn't follow through on that. maybe when they put out the Omega DLC they will follow through. It would probably require Aria getting on the Normandy at some point and having Wrex on at the same time.

Ha. Omega DLC.

Who is honestly going to buy that? Sure Aria, I'll help you take back Omega even though you're going to lose it because you're stuck in the Sol System. Probably dead but even if you're alive, there's no way you're getting back to Omega from Earth.

The man is a good character writer at his best, but he should never have been allowed within a mile of the main plot, at least without the intervention of a staff who could keep him in check.

This describes Bioware in a nutshell. Honestly they should do a New Vegas project where Obsidian handles the storyline and Bioware can handle the wacky characters and dialogue.

Is the "Omega DLC" stuff I keep hearing about just rumors based on Aria losing it, or has that been hinted at or announced?

Haha, just thinking about that... Makes no sense to put it after the game, and put it before the ending and there is no fucking point. Either way, and there's no way to ever get to Omega again. Such would be the case with all DLC. Grrrrrrr.

It based on the leaked script that included a take back Omega section or so I have been told and at least to me its the most logical thing they could do with DLC Aria just sits there in the bar doing nothing. She had a bunch of different ways you could help her in ME2 and not single one of them has any kind of consequence in ME3. Say what you will about the illusion of choice, but almost every action in the previous games had some kind of hook in ME3 and Aria is conspicuously absent of any. The DLC would take place before the end of the game as Bioware has themselves said regarding all DLC. The value of said DLC is left up to you. I personally am still undecided on if I would be willing to buy some.

This describes Bioware in a nutshell. Honestly they should do a New Vegas project where Obsidian handles the storyline and Bioware can handle the wacky characters and dialogue.
Obsidian or at least Avellone does quirky characters better then them too. The one thing I don't think any dev does better then Bioware is long term character development the growth that Liara, Garrus, and Mordin show is excellent.

RDreamer

So, do you guys only play these games based on some sort of ultimate payoff later, or do you actually play them because they're fun right now?

Lexxon

It seems to differ, though. ME2 was heavily tailored to characters (the main Collector story was relatively weak) and the individual character stories and recruitment/loyalty missions were, in my opinion, some of the best content in the series. Many of these ME2 scenes made you love these characters, and ME3 did an overall good job of closing many of their stories, or letting them continue. (Until the ending, of course.)

ME1, on the other hand, set up the universe, the Reapers, Protheans, all that good stuff. I thought the core story outside of the characters was very solid, while also introducing likable characters. They ARE capable (or were) of excellent core stories, and excellent endings.

The staff turnover largely had a huge impact on the series--it's a shame so many people were lost between ME1 and ME3. I wonder what the series would look like today if everyone stayed together (and EA never got involved)? It's nice to dream...

So, do you guys only play these games based on some sort of ultimate payoff later, or do you actually play them because they're fun right now?

Unlike most games, I was deeply invested in the Mass Effect universe. I wouldn't be so disappointed in a bad ending if it wouldn't have, at least in my eyes, damaged the lore.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
They're fun to play and delve into. I try to enjoy everything, from start to finish.

In this case and in my mind, the ultimate payoff was supposed to be something as good as the game itself, but it wasn't so. It was utterly disappointing.

This isn't to say that I want the end to change, or that the series is tarnished because of it. Simply, the goal I perceived is unachievable.

DTKT

That's a moot point. ME is a specific case where the payoff can be the amazing part. Stopping the reapers was Shepard goal for the last 2 games, of course I wanted that moment to be amazing.

I guess my expectations were too high.

It seems to differ, though. ME2 was heavily tailored to characters (the main Collector story was relatively weak) and the individual character stories and recruitment/loyalty missions were, in my opinion, some of the best content in the series. Many of these ME2 scenes made you love these characters, and ME3 did an overall good job of closing many of their stories, or letting them continue. (Until the ending, of course.)

ME1, on the other hand, set up the universe, the Reapers, Protheans, all that good stuff. I thought the core story outside of the characters was very solid, while also introducing likable characters. They ARE capable (or were) of excellent core stories, and excellent endings.

The staff turnover largely had a huge impact on the series--it's a shame so many people were lost between ME1 and ME3. I wonder what the series would look like today if everyone stayed together (and EA never got involved)? It's nice to dream...

EA may have set the time tables and budget, but the direction Bioware took the series was their own and seems to be more less what they always envisioned for it from the beginning. I keep trying to get that design doc up that shows this fact, but I haven't been able to wrestle the iPad from my roommate long enough to finish reading the Final Hours App and upload it.

I'm one of those people who plays pretty much whatever you give them. In the specific case of Mass Effect the payoff was only important with three. The other two were just good RPGs for me.

RDreamer

That wasn't really a knock on your feelings of the ending. I just find it kind of bizarre for you to sit here sighing and saying that any Omega DLC or stuff before the ending is now pointless to play because hey they'll all die. Does that take away whatever story might play out during the DLC? Does that take away whatever gameplay might happen during the DLC?

I mean Overlord barely had anything to do with anything, and was fairly pointless if you were looking for some sort of long term validation. Why play it? Because it was a fun mission with a nice little story. Who's to say Omega won't be? I mean I'm not saying it for sure will be, but dismissing it on the grounds that the ending spoils it before you even know what it's going to be about seems a little weird to me.

RDreamer said:
Just because the ending is shit doesn’t mean people necessarily hate the whole game, though I don’t doubt some feel that way.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
That wasn't really a knock on your feelings of the ending. I just find it kind of bizarre for you to sit here sighing and saying that any Omega DLC or stuff before the ending is now pointless to play because hey they'll all die. Does that take away whatever story might play out during the DLC? Does that take away whatever gameplay might happen during the DLC?

I mean Overlord barely had anything to do with anything, and was fairly pointless if you were looking for some sort of long term validation. Why play it? Because it was a fun mission with a nice little story. Who's to say Omega won't be? I mean I'm not saying it for sure will be, but dismissing it on the grounds that the ending spoils it before you even know what it's going to be about seems a little weird to me.

Because the actual gameplay that didn't revolve around choices, dialogue and a building story/world development were mediocre shooting bits with sticky controls, poor hit detection, terrible AI and watered down progression that has been outdone by nearly every other TPS on the market.

Was it good for FPS RPG combat? Fuck yes. But that doesn't mean people are anxious to go back to shoot more stuff with literally zero actualized context.

DTKT

I'm actually not sure that it's going to be any good. :|

But really, no one will know anything till they announce something in April.

My lack of interest for the DLC comes less from the conclusion of the series and more the IP suicide that took place. I have no interest in the Mass Effect series as a whole now. I'm not interested in anything that place before or during the events of Mass Effect 3. I wanted to see what happened after the Reapers were gone and what the galaxy would do now that it no longer had its 50,000 year deadline.

Top Bottom