• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Again I mean. 2 years is clearly not enough to finish a game of this scale with all the necessary details in place. To be fair though, they did pretty damn good with the rest of the game.

From a business standpoint for launch sales I suppose. The game has only been out 2 weeks though. Many people who have yet to play the series may not now based on the hoopla and feedback going around, whereas if it was a much more positive thing then people would be recommending the series for quite a while.

I dunno though, maybe I'm wrong and it doesn't effect it much.

Looking through the second half of the stuff I guess maybe Zaeed, Jacob, and Grunt were supposed to be squad members at some point. I guess that kind of makes sense they all have poor reason to not join you. Is Vakom ever in the game? I wonder what else got cut in relation to him. Maybe he was supposed to be the face of the Salarian's instead of the Dalatrass.

rozay

Banned
Wow, reading more at the link makes it seem like this was supposed to be a "suicide mission 2.0" with the map, working with all the other races on Earth. What a shame.

Zen

Banned
Yeah, so a lot of stuff was cut from the main game. It sounds like there is a lot of stuff missing in the Earth sequence at the end of the game.

More here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/rcbta/dialog_cut_from_the_ending_spoilers/

Shit, we were supposed to talk with a Geth Prime. :|

Even just reading this gives me goose bumps; shit, the geth prime conversation makes the starchilds reasoning even more nonsensical.

Wow, reading more at the link makes it seem like this was supposed to be a "suicide mission 2.0" with the map, working with all the other races on Earth. What a shame.

With some light RTS style decision making for forces deployment? It would have been awesome. I think 'suicide mission 2.0' is what everyone was expecting the ending would be.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Yeah, the Prothean was supposed to be the Catalyst in the leaked script.

Edit: I used the audio extractor right now. The ambient track for the dream sequences is phenomenal; it's too bad they were the opposite.

di7pi.gif

senador

Banned
Ah. I didn't follow the leaked stuff or much of anything until I played the game.

Gah, the more I learn the more let down I am. I mean, I don't regret playing it, and I'll probably play it again. I'm super disappointed by what it could have been though.

Javik was something they didn't really have before, just an unapologetic renegade squadmate. One not in a "lets kill everything!" way like Grunt.

Was cool to have that opposing view if you're playing as boy scout Shep.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The first bit with the Prothean being the Catalyst, and you having to kill your squad member no matter what, sounded fucking terrible.

The second bit on Tuchanka, however, sounded amazing.

IIRC the "partner" was a red shirt assigned to you by Udina, and was Ashley/Kaidan's partner after they got SPECTRE status while you were stuck on Earth.

You killing their partner was supposed to put them at odds with you similar to the Udina coup now does, only Kai Leng was feeding them info and trying to get them to kill you.

senador

Banned
He added some interesting information in Thessia. He's almost far more developed than Vega.

Lots of great dialogue on the Normandy for sure. I liked his looks too.

The first bit with the Prothean being the Catalyst, and you having to kill your squad member no matter what, sounded fucking terrible.

I'm going to guess that if you had enough Paragon/Renegade you could change their minds (never mind, see above). I was more thinking of the possibilities of him being the catalyst. That'd mean he wouldn't have been DLC, and the ending would have been pretty different considering that. Bah.

Abylim

Can someone link me, or post a list of the things I need to do in 2 to have everyone alive by the end of 3? Someone said there's stuff with Tali I need to do in 2 to make it so she doesnt kill herslef in 3. I dont know what I did to make both Wrex and Eve live, but I need to know so I can duplicate it on my renegade run through of 2 and 3. Doing insanity on 3 when I'm done doing this in 2.

I didnt have fun on insanity in 2, hope 3 is better. Seems to be, medigels heal me, vanguards broken, etc.

Figured this belonged here, being spoilerish and all

rozay

Banned

Yeah I can honestly say (said it last time this came up too) having the Prothean as the Catalyst sounds terrible. I'm fine with the way he was introduced in the final game.

I heard Javik was a great squadmate. Too bad I only paid $60 dollars. Fuck. You have Vega, you cheap fucks.

Vega was more interesting than I ever would have imagined, and Carnage is pretty strong, so my vote for worst ME squadmate still goes to Ashley. Sure, she looks good lying in bed in her underwear, but I wouldn't romance her to begin with. If I weren't playing with video game logic, I would have told her to fuck off after the Citadel attack.

Moaradin

Ashley was a lot better in ME3 than ME1, but she still pales in comparison to all the other squadmates. How is Kaiden in this game. Any better?

hateradio

Can someone link me, or post a list of the things I need to do in 2 to have everyone alive by the end of 3? Someone said there's stuff with Tali I need to do in 2 to make it so she doesnt kill herslef in 3.

You need five points.

ME2:
Tali doesn't get exiled +2 pts
Destroyed the geth +2 pts (rewrote +0, no negatives)
Resolved tali/legion argument with paragon or renegade +1

ME3:
Save admiral what's his name +1
Save the heretics or the fighter squad (the tron mission where you get the primes) +1

Thane and Mordin die Regardless.

If it meant I could finally kill Kaiden, then no, it would have been incredible

So you're completely okay with shit writing as long as you get to do what you want?

I understand that gaming is an interactive medium, but come on.

It'd make more sense if Javik's info brick thing was the catalyst. It has thousands of years of information on it or whatever.

.... you just blew my mind.

Kaiden achieved the impossible and got more boring.

I thought both Kaiden and Ashley were written better than ME1 and 2.

Except for Kaiden's two minute monologue about how players thought he was boring in ME1.

That was fucking atrocious.

Abylim

You need five points.

ME2:
Tali doesn't get exiled +2 pts
Destroyed the geth +2 pts (rewrote +0, no negatives)
Resolved tali/legion argument with paragon or renegade +1

ME3:
Save admiral what's his name +1
Save the heretics or the fighter squad (the tron mission where you get the primes) +1

Thane and Mordin die Regardless.

Thanks, but what do I do to save Eve? Do I keep Maelons research? I think I have to keep Keijis greybox for Kasumi in 3.
How do I make Miranda live?

Do I just need high Ren/paragon to have to where Tali isnt exiled, and solve the argument with Legion?

Coxswain

Ashley was a lot better in ME3 than ME1, but she still pales in comparison to all the other squadmates. How is Kaiden in this game. Any better?

He's a good character, but consistent with the first game, so if you thought he was Captain Boring there, ME3 isn't going to change your opinion of him. I liked him, but then I always did (other than in ME2, anyway).

hateradio

If it meant I could finally kill Kaiden, then no, it would have been incredible
You don't have to have him join the Normady if you don't want.

As DLC for $10?
:lol

As far as character-driven rankings of squadmates go, Thane is my favorite.
Agreed. He's also a bittersweet romance.

I thought both Kaiden and Ashley were better written.

Except for Kaiden's two minute monologue about how players thought he was boring in ME1.

That was fucking atrocious.
I enjoyed that fourth-wall moment.

Thanks, but what do I do to save Eve? Do I keep Maelons research? I think I have to keep Keijis greybox for Kasumi in 3.
How do I make Miranda live?

Do I just need high Ren/paragon to have to where Tali isnt exiled, and solve the argument with Legion?
Yeah, you have to save Maelon's data. You keep Miranda if she's loyal and if you give her the Alliance data she wants.

You need high rep for some QTEs to save people like Samara and stuff.

rdrr gnr

Wish I'd killed Ashley back in Virmire.
Me too. I wish I could kill Jacob in ME3. Even trying to exit a discussion with him takes forever in the hospital. Fuck you and your dad. Cry moar while other people have real problems. I'd say the same for Miranda but dat ass.

Seriously, a rps minigame using your assets would have been better than them just being fuel for a bar. Would have given the game a little more variety and risk reward for keeping or losing assets. Another missed opportunity on top of them not helping in priority earth.

Actually reminds me of brotherhood assassins missions.

This is a great idea. It was cool that by scanning stuff I got things, but it was just a small square telling me I got a thing. Some additional interaction to build it up and get it battle ready would've been great.
also why is a battleship chilling on a planet

I finished the game, and I can see how the ending would make people annoyed, but it didn't bother me as much... probably because I only got to Matriarch Beneziah in ME1. When ME2 came out everyone told me it played "better" but I didn't believe them. This time, the demo sold me. If anything I want to replay and finish the older games now, regardless of the ending.

You don't have to have him join the Normady if you don't want.

There was a user on BSN once that wrote that he hoped he could either kick the gay members of his party out or kill them.

You know, either or.

I enjoyed that fourth-wall moment.

The Fourth Wall moments are cute until you realize they are 90% of the game's humor. I really hope DA3 does not pull this shit and try to hang Lanterns on everything.

Joker smiling at us is still pretty "dope", though.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Wish I'd killed Ashley back in Virmire.

I'm still pissed you can only get Reave from Kaidan. I have like one save file with him alive. And bonus powers only work for that particular save game. So lame.

Reave was the shit in ME2. :/

hateradio

Stasis + Reave = Instant explosion.

I'm still pissed you can only get Reave from Kaidan. I have like one save file with him alive. And bonus powers only work for that particular save game. So lame.

Reave was the shit in ME2. :/
Can't you use a save editor to change who dies?

Top Bottom