• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Jarmel

Banned
Based on this bullshit, Destroy is not canon.

They are either making Control or Synthesis canon. Which doesn't make sense as you are dead in both unless the Catalyst rebuilds your body.

The whole weird thing about this leak is as one of the posters at the link put it, "It's too fake to be fake". The guy obviously knows the universe so he has to know how full of shit this sounds.

yeah, that has to be fake
Ce2s7.png

I think I made this exact same same face at the "tell me another story about the Shepard".
lol perfect reaction

Digoman

Reading more about this rumored dlc, this is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever read.

And I finished ME3.

It's really sad that you read such ridiculous plans and can't say "Don't be stupid. Bioware would never do that!"?

Thane and Mordin made noble sacrifices. Legion's sacrifice came out of nowhere and seemed so ridiculous. That was the only character death I really didn't appreciate because it was handled poorly.

I thought it was a nice sacrifice thematically , but the logistics of it were a bit iffy, at least using the way I think the Geth were always described in the game, always uploading/downloading from plataforms. Still, I liked the "gets individuality and sacrifices himself so other may have it also".

Replicant

Based on this bullshit, Destroy is not canon.

They are either making Control or Synthesis canon. Which doesn't make sense as you are dead in both unless the Catalyst rebuilds your body.

The whole weird thing about this leak is as one of the posters at the link put it, "It's too fake to be fake". The guy obviously knows the universe so he has to know how full of shit this sounds.

No, it's based on Destroy because Shepard's body is intact and EDI is dead. Destroy is the only ending where Shepard body is still there and EDI is dead. Control and Synthesis don't facilitate those elements.

I don't quite believe it but I remember how Bioware at the start of this mess said something like "If you know what we'd planned, you'd be surprised".

Moaradin

No, it's based on Destroy because Shepard's body is intact and EDI is dead. Destroy is the only ending where Shepard body is still there and EDI is dead. Control and Synthesis don't facilitate those elements.

I don't quite believe it but I remember how Bioware at the start of this mess said something like "If you know what we'd planned, you'd be surprised".

Most of the ending hate comes from god child and lack of closure. Bioware would be crazy if they tried to do this. Shitstorm would be much bigger than it is now.

Derrick01

Banned
It's really sad that you read such ridiculous plans and can't say "Don't be stupid. Bioware would never do that!"?

I just can't believe any of that other than the EA abuse part, because there's evidence backing that up however small it may be.

The rest of it reads like an awful forum post from some stoned dude. I mean Bioware's so awful now I guess anything could happen but it seems really unlikely.

Replicant

Most of the ending hate comes from god child and lack of closure. Bioware would be crazy if they tried to do this. Shitstorm would be much bigger than it is now.

Yeah, but this was supposedly before all of the shitstorm happened. This was the planned DLC before ME3 was released, if I understand it correctly.

Jarmel

Banned

However all the Reapers would be destroyed in Destroy. MS implies there is aReaper floating around.

If this ends up being true, my god.

Replicant

However all the Reapers would be destroyed in Destroy. MS implies there is aReaper floating around.

If this ends up being true, my god.

The Last Reaper. Ah, whatever, am I the only one who's losing interest in the franchise and Bioware as whole? The whole thing has made me really bitter.

DarkKyo

Galactic Fork, we're probably going to have to agree to disagree. Every time we further the argument you continuously try to reinforce your side of it with evidence that is not even presented in the game. Since we don't know the true nature of these life forms or what the ramifications of having said new DNA would entail, the entire argument is moot. Also, my guess is you'd be one of the only people in the galaxy who would prefer to stay an inferior being. While everyone else becomes smarter, healthier, faster, more efficient, and stronger, you'd rather stay a sick, weakling monkey for some odd reason. It's not like I don't understand your side of the argument, I just think you're grasping at straws(trying to find any reason) to discredit what you feel like was an unsatisfying ending. That's fine with me but I just find the "becoming-superior-being-equals-slavery" argument to be kind of stupid...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The supposed leak claims Mass Shift takes place ~one millenia after Mass Effect.

And it stars android Shepard.

And features Matriarch Liara. An Asari who somehow lived a several hundred thousand years longer than any Asari should.

Psst. It's bullshit.

Even if that's true, after seeing how much people hate the Catalyst, I'm sure Bioware's rethinking making him the star of the next trilogy.

And having him inhabit Shepard's body is just insulting to the character we do like.

Thing is, we've already bought enough DLC for this series. Dont even produce a ending, just give the internet a transcript.

This series has been around since, what, 2004, for pre-production? How much more time does one need?

Derrick01

Banned
The supposed leak claims Mass Shift takes place ~one millenia after Mass Effect.

And features Matriarch Liara. An Asari who somehow lived a several hundred thousand years longer than any Asari should.

Psst. It's bullshit.

I thought a millenia was only 1000 years? I mean Liara should still be dead, since that's like ~100 years longer than Asari's live (she's already over 100 in ME3) but I guess it doesn't have to be exactly 1000 years later.

Psst. It's bullshit.
One millennium is 1000 years, which is asari typical longevity. Of course, Liara is a bit over 100 already, but it's not 'realistically' inconceivable for Liara to still be alive.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All this time I've thought a millenia was a million years.

My god. I've been living a lie.

Yes, smudboy videos! I'm glad he's chosen to start at the very beginning and systematically unpick all the awful writing in ME3, not just the ending. His ME2 videos had me rolling at times.

Tajin

Banned
Real talk, I'd like to see Matriarch Liara.

You know she'd be stacked like a pyramid. She'll give Miranda's ass a run for its money.

RDreamer

Galactic Fork, we're probably going to have to agree to disagree. Every time we further the argument you continuously try to reinforce your side of it with evidence that is not even presented in the game. Since we don't know the true nature of these life forms or what the ramifications of having said new DNA would entail, the entire argument is moot. Also, my guess is you'd be one of the only people in the galaxy who would prefer to stay an inferior being. While everyone else becomes smarter, healthier, faster, more efficient, and stronger, you'd rather stay a sick, weakling monkey for some odd reason. It's not like I don't understand your side of the argument, I just think you're grasping at straws(trying to find any reason) to discredit what you feel like was an unsatisfying ending. That's fine with me but I just find the "becoming-superior-being-equals-slavery" argument to be kind of stupid...

That's kind of how I feel whenever I try to explain any single piece of the ending. It's like yeah I know the ending is unsatisfying and poorly written, but that doesn't mean every single piece of it can't be explained at all. But, hey, explaining any part of the ending makes you "ignorant," an "idiot," "crazy," or a "knob." I think by discussing the merits of the ending as it actually is we're just interrupting their ego stroking...

And I also kind of find it funny that people are so adamantly against the synthesis ending, because I think that was part of the point of presenting that ending. They wanted to force you into thinking about the dichotomy between saving everyone and the moral quandary of forcing everyone into a new form of life. By arguing about the merits of each, you're doing exactly what the writers wanted you to do. Just like by arguing that the destroy ending sucks, because it destroys all synthetics, which you've built up in your mind by now to become actual species. Yeah, that's what they wanted you to have trouble with.

DarkKyo

The irony

Gee.. what would happen if organic flesh was infused with synthetics... it wouldn't be anything like what happened when Shepard was imbued with synthetics in ME2, would it? You know, make vast improvements to the inner-workings of his body? Since he became the energy that turned everyone else you'd pretty much have to imagine they adopted all of these qualities as well.

So yes, it's very ironic you'd point that out. Thanks.

Edit: In fact they talk about how Shepard's mind was intentionally left unchecked so he'd remain the same person. If this same framework is applied to all beings in the galaxy via energy Shepard then wouldn't they stay the same person but with physical improvements?

That's kind of how I feel whenever I try to explain any single piece of the ending. It's like yeah I know the ending is unsatisfying and poorly written, but that doesn't mean every single piece of it can't be explained at all.
The only way to explain the ending is to take everything Starchild says at face value. And the things he says fly 100% in the face of EVERYTHING we've done and learned throughout the series.

The disconnect is that the knobs are perfectly willing to believe Starchild, and not their lying eyes.

And I also kind of find it funny that people are so adamantly against the synthesis ending, because I think that was part of the point of presenting that ending. They wanted to force you into thinking about the dichotomy between saving everyone and the moral quandary of forcing everyone into a new form of life. By arguing about the merits of each, you're doing exactly what the writers wanted you to do. Just like by arguing that the destroy ending sucks, because it destroys all synthetics, which you've built up in your mind by now to become actual species. Yeah, that's what they wanted you to have trouble with.
As I've said, the deeper thought I arrive at with synthesis is:

1. It is exactly the argument Saren used. So that means we should have just let Saren open the Citadel relay for the Reapers so we can 'merge' with them. Surely the villain of ME1 wasn't right. Is that really what were supposed to take away?

2. We get a glimpse of Reaper mandated synthesis: husks, marauders, banshees, brutes, etc, etc. Doesn't look like something anyone would volunteer for.

3. If synthesis means permanent peace, that means sentient life no longer has free will, and now exists in a docile Stepford Wives existence. This is not advancing existence.

4. Cyborg leaves. Robohat. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Coxswain

Gee.. what would happen if organic flesh was infused with synthetics... it wouldn't be anything like what happened when Shepard was imbued with synthetics in ME2, would it? You know, make vast improvements to the inner-workings of his body? Since he became the energy that turned everyone else you'd pretty much have to imagine they adopted all of these qualities as well.

What 'vast improvements to the inner workings of [Shepard's] body'? The purpose of the cybernetics implanted in Shepard during Project Lazarus was to bring her back to life, not to make 'vast improvements'. We're shown mechanical augmentations that get blood flowing, repair the skeleton, etc. At no point is it ever made clear if the cybernetics are intended to enhance Shepard's abilities, or what enhancements those might actually be. In fact it's stated multiple times that the goal was to bring Shepard back to life without changing anything fundamental about her. Edit: The only confirmed improvement is that if Shepard is a biotic, her implant is upgraded from the L3 to the L5-series. Which does not constitute a general physical or mental improvement.

And why would you make the jump from "Shepard is the one that jumps into the big beam of light" to "Everyone becomes like Shepard"? There's no evidence to support that assumption. Joker (and the leaves on the trees, and EDI, who was metal to begin with which pretty much rules out the possibility of the process having anything to do with what Shepard was) are shown with glowing green circuit boards on his arms, his neck, his face, and his hat. Shepard never had any of that; the only glowing bits that Shepard ever exhibited were the Renegade eyes and facial scars, which were very markedly different in that they were subdermal, and only became visible due to the skin not healing properly.

So there's no evidence that Shepard was fundamentally altered or improved, beyond being restored to her baseline capabilities before she died, and there's no evidence that Joker, EDI, any of the other party members, or the trees on the jungle planet have become at all similar to Shepard in any way (in fact quite a lot of evidence exists that they are absolutely not the same!)... And from this, your takeaway is that the ending implies that everyone in the galaxy is made stronger, faster, and smarter. And you're complaining that people are making arguments based on things that aren't actually in the game.

Sotha Sil

So yes, it's very ironic you'd point that out. Thanks.

Edit: In fact they talk about how Shepard's mind was intentionally left unchecked so he'd remain the same person. If this same framework is applied to all beings in the galaxy via energy Shepard then wouldn't they stay the same person but with physical improvements?

smarter, healthier, faster, more efficient, and stronger,

So, which is it? Perhaps you don't know, though, given the game never tells us. "Evidence that is not even presented in the game", indeed.

RDreamer

As I've said, the deeper thought I arrive at with synthesis is:

1. It is exactly the argument Saren used. So that means we should have just let Saren open the Citadel relay for the Reapers so we can 'merge' with them. Surely the villain of ME1 wasn't right. Is that really what were supposed to take away?

2. We get a glimpse of Reaper mandated synthesis: husks, marauders, banshees, brutes, etc, etc. Doesn't look like something anyone would volunteer for.

3. If synthesis means permanent peace, that means sentient life no longer has free will, and now exists in a docile Stepford Wives existence. This is not advancing existence.

4. Cyborg leaves. Robohat. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

1. No duh it's the same argument Saren used. He was indoctrinated by reapers. You didn't think that shit would come up again? You don't think it would come up when you're talking with the reaper creator/AI? I never said at all you're supposed to side with his reasoning. This is really a stupid thought process, too. I could look at any renegade style option in my game and be like "OLOL why would I ever choose that!? I've seen things to disprove it. My Shepard isn't that way. That shouldn't be an option."

2. Those syntheses were mandated for a specific purpose; they were instruments of war and put to use for the greater "good" (from a reaper perspective) in order to harvest the organics. That does not necessarily mean that's what you get this time. But, again, this conversation is, I think what the writer wanted us to have. They wanted you to choose between the possible horror of what you've seen and the hope of what might be.

3. Just because you don't do something ever doesn't mean that you don't have free will. I will never kill another person, either. Does that mean I don't have free will? No, it means I understand that's a stupid fucking thing to do. Aside from that you're fundamentally misunderstanding the synthesis option. It doesn't mean total peace on a micro sense. It means "peace" in the sense that there will be no wholesale slaughter of organics until they exist no more by the superior synthetics. This can't happen because there is no longer a creator created dichotomy anymore. There is no inferior superior complex brought about by that. There is no wish to control by the creators and no rebellion against succumbing from the created, because these distinctions exist no more.

It doesn't mean total peace on a micro sense. It means "peace" in the sense that there will be no wholesale slaughter of organics until they exist no more by the superior synthetics. This can't happen because there is no longer a creator created dichotomy anymore. There is no inferior superior complex brought about by that. There is no wish to control by the creators and no rebellion against succumbing from the created, because these distinctions exist no more.

What happens once a hybrid creates a robot though.

1. No duh it's the same argument Saren used. He was indoctrinated by reapers. You didn't think that shit would come up again? You don't think it would come up when you're talking with the reaper creator/AI? I never said at all you're supposed to side with his reasoning. This is really a stupid thought process, too. I could look at any renegade style option in my game and be like "OLOL why would I ever choose that!? I've seen things to disprove it. My Shepard isn't that way. That shouldn't be an option."

2. Those syntheses were mandated for a specific purpose; they were instruments of war and put to use for the greater "good" (from a reaper perspective) in order to harvest the organics. That does not necessarily mean that's what you get this time. But, again, this conversation is, I think what the writer wanted us to have. They wanted you to choose between the possible horror of what you've seen and the hope of what might be.

3. Just because you don't do something ever doesn't mean that you don't have free will. I will never kill another person, either. Does that mean I don't have free will? No, it means I understand that's a stupid fucking thing to do. Aside from that you're fundamentally misunderstanding the synthesis option. It doesn't mean total peace on a micro sense. It means "peace" in the sense that there will be no wholesale slaughter of organics until they exist no more by the superior synthetics. This can't happen because there is no longer a creator created dichotomy anymore. There is no inferior superior complex brought about by that. There is no wish to control by the creators and no rebellion against succumbing from the created, because these distinctions exist no more.

On 3: What happens when the Synth-Organics create new Synthetics?! And those Synthetics try to destroy them?! And why would EVERYONE BEING THE SAME ROBO-MEN somehow stop them from having differences? I mean, if I wanna bang your ROBO-WIFE, and I do, you gonna be all like, "NAH DAWG, I AINS MAD, CAUSE WE ROBO-BROS."

What happens once a hybrid creates a robot though.

uOjlE.jpg

On 3: What happens when the Synth-Organics create new Synthetics?! And those Synthetics try to destroy them?! And why would EVERYONE BEING THE SAME ROBO-MEN somehow stop them from having differences? I mean, if I wanna bang your ROBO-WIFE, and I do, you gonna be all like, "NAH DAWG, I AINS MAD, CAUSE WE ROBO-BROS."

c5br1l.jpg

Top Bottom