• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

He's a good character, but consistent with the first game, so if you thought he was Captain Boring there, ME3 isn't going to change your opinion of him. I liked him, but then I always did (other than in ME2, anyway).

I think I got snow in my boots!

How anybody could want that boring dollar store Rain Man on their team over Ashley I will never understand.

http://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/rcbta/dialog_cut_from_the_ending_spoilers/

Apparently someone dug into the audio files and discovered dialogue form the game that was never used. Stuff that indicated that the final mission was supposed to be a lot bigger, and actually took into account all your choices.

Different scenarios and interactions with various races and characters were supposed to occur based on your choices.

It's more than apparently now, ME3 was very very rushed. All the content was there, they just never implemented it.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I think I got snow in my boots!

How anybody could want that boring dollar store Rain Man on their team over Ashley I will never understand.
Because Ashely is a racist. Because she wanted to kill Wrex. Because Kaiden is a person?

Normally these sorts of things are terrible, but damn I laughed.
Machinimas aren't my thing either, but this really gets to me.

I'm a military reporter with the show called B A T T L E T I T S.

I keep replaying it.

hateradio

There was also a Nazi (he proclaimed he was one on numerous occasions) that went around complaining that he couldn't kill every alien he met in Mass Effect 1.

Because, you know, humans are superior to every other (fictional) race in the universe.
That's just silly. Was his romantic partner Ashley?

Jarmel

Banned
http://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/rcbta/dialog_cut_from_the_ending_spoilers/

Apparently someone dug into the audio files and discovered dialogue form the game that was never used. Stuff that indicated that the final mission was supposed to be a lot bigger, and actually took into account all your choices.

Different scenarios and interactions with various races and characters were supposed to occur based on your choices.

It's more than apparently now, ME3 was very very rushed. All the content was there, they just never implemented it.

I think that was obvious with all the bugs.

sp3000

That was the best ending to any game ever. Packed with symbolic meaning.

It alll makes sense now. It was all a dream. Shepard finally realized that he's actually a hanar.

Well, it was not only rushed (replaying it five times reveals just exactly how lazy some of the programming was), but the lead writer shut everyone out.

One of the main problems is that, from day one, the ME franchise was more ambitious than anything Molyneux has ever tried. A lot of ME3's "rushedness" is simply the team realizing that they can't live up to their promises.

I think the problem is you just can't make a game of the scale Mass Effect is supposed to be in two years, especially with some talent making DLC for the previous game, some leaving altogether, and some working on a MMORPG.

It worked out for Mass Effect 2 because the story had a smaller scale and focused on vignettes more than an overarching plot. Even then, stuff got cut, as there's unused dialogue of, say, Legion in Mordin's recruitment mission.

With ME3, they had no choice, they had to go big. So it lead to a lot of cut corners and cut content.

It needed to be a winter 2012 game. They're fools for rushing it.

hateradio

It needed to be a winter 2012 game. They're fools for rushing it.
That would have been insane. I don't think they could postpone it that long. A summer block-buster release date would have been fine.

However, now that it's out, I don't think it'll ever get the treatment it deserves, especially with the negative press. They'll release a patch or two, some DLC, and move on to the next venture. It's a bit sad, but they quickly ignore games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
However long they had to make, they should have locked in the ending early. I've said this before, but leaving the final revelation and climax to a long running trilogy of video games, where players have poured 100+ hours into growing attached to the universe, to something conceptualised and developed in November of last year, is absurd prioritisation. Locking in exactly how they wanted to end this should have been one of the first things decided.

That would have been insane. I don't think they could postpone it that long. A summer block-buster release date would have been fine.

However, now that it's out, I don't think it'll ever get the treatment it deserves, especially with the negative press. They'll release a patch or two, some DLC, and move on to the next venture. It's a bit sad, but they quickly ignore games.

July 2012, for the Comic-Con crowd. PAX East for a demo.

Moaradin

This isn't even disputable.

That Traynor is superior? I agree.

She has a much more definable personality compared to Kelly"I love everything that moves"Chambers.

She also ties into the main game much better compared to Chambers.

Oh yea, didn't see find out where the cerberus base was? Basically without Traynor, we would have never found out what the Catalyst was in time and would definitely fail against the reapers.

Traynor is the true hero of the ME series.

rdrr gnr

What is this blasphemy I am experiencing? Fine. More virtual Kelly for me.
She has a much more definable personality compared to Kelly"I love everything that moves"Chambers.

She also ties into the main game much better compared to Chambers.
That's because they are in different games. Chambers was just an innocent girl aboard, needing a big strong commander to lead her. I was speaking strictly about appearance. Personality wise, both were a bit annoying.

hateradio

It's very sad. Potentially one of the defining games of the generation, now just shorthand for PR disaster.
Shepard deserved more at the end. The destruction of the Mass Effect universe and series, for a vocal minority, all gone in an instant.

The Fourth Wall moments are cute until you realize they are 90% of the game's humor. I really hope DA3 does not pull this shit and try to hang Lanterns on everything.

Yeah, the 4th wall breaking and inside jokes/references got old really quickly. I hope I never have to hear another Garrus calibration joke.

I'd rather have it delayed than the way it shipped. I have no interest in playing DLC for games I've finished.

Yeah, the 4th wall breaking and inside jokes/references got old really quickly. I hope I never have to hear Garrus calibration joke.

A lot of ME3's writing was good. The Sniper Pissing Contest was the most powerful scene in the entire series, and Grunt's "get me something to eat" was brilliant. Liara trying to calm Garrus down after he found out we got back together (I had cheated on Liara with him in ME2) was amazing reactionary writing.

And a lot of it was crap.

You'd want more day-one DLC?

Pre-game DLC? Pre-game episodic content? :OOOO Pre-paid demos? :OOOOO

The future, right there!

So much cheese.

Day one DLC is better than months later DLC. I wouldn't play either, but at least I get to experience the first one as part of the whole game instead of something tacked on afterward.

Also, not remotely what I said.

hateradio

Liara being introduced in almost the exact same situation as ME1 was fantastic.

They even managed to humanize Shepard without feeling controlling, unlike Hawke (and I loved Hawke).
I loved evil Hawke. That game was so awful though. I hope ME3 doesn't get the same post-release treatment.

Day one DLC is better than months later DLC. I wouldn't play either, but at least I get to experience the first one as part of the whole game instead of something tacked on afterward.

Also, not remotely what I said.
I know. However, that's bound to happen. It would actually help pad release dates, if done well -- which it wouldn't be.

I think I'm the only one that liked snarky Hawke >.>

I actually like every Hawke (I'm actually in the middle of finishing up every one of my runs in DA2 - right now I'm on Conando Hawke, since I don't need to wait for DLC anymore). I loved the idea of the Tone system. The execution, however, was barely noticable.

What I didn't like was how the illusion of choice within the narrative was non-existent.

hateradio

I actually like every Hawke. I loved the idea of the Tone system. The execution, however, was barely noticable.

What I didn't like was how the illusion of choice within the narrative was non-existent.
I only played the game as jerk Hawke and loved it.

Was there even an illusion? I mean after the fifth quest that involved blood mages, you knew something was going on. Not to mention how the story kept going in some random direction that didn't even seem to matter. To me, it was clear that whether you were nice or not, the story was going to end at the same place. I just didn't think it was going to be BW's . . . taint. :|

Moaradin

Don't remind me of DA2. The day before it came out I pretty much played Origins nonstop to get my perfect import. I was still hopeful of DA2 even up til the end of the first act. After that I realized kirkwall was the only zone in the game =/

Then I played Witcher 2 and that pretty much covered my fantasy RPG needs.

Moaradin

There are two zones. Kirkwall and the Mountains.

But yes. It was.... odd.

I dunno, I liked DA2 a whole lot, just like I liked ME3 a whole lot. But both games had very apparent problems.

Eh I wouldn't even consider DA2 a good game. Everything wrong with it was core design things like all the environments were literally the same. I thought the story was pretty shitty also and the combat a big clusterfuck.

The ending of DA2 was probably worse than ME3's ending but by then, I was expecting it since the rest of the game didn't hold a candle to the sheer scope of DA: Origins. ME3 was pretty much the best in the series up until the last 10 minutes, which makes ME3's ending all the more devastating.

I still have hope Bioware will correct this somehow. Fire Mac Walters and get the rest of the writing team that did the other parts of ME3 to brainstorm a new ending or fill in the holes
indoctrination haha
. Wishful thinking lol.

However long they had to make, they should have locked in the ending early. I've said this before, but leaving the final revelation and climax to a long running trilogy of video games, where players have poured 100+ hours into growing attached to the universe, to something conceptualised and developed in November of last year, is absurd prioritisation. Locking in exactly how they wanted to end this should have been one of the first things decided.

What sucks is that they led us to believe they had this entire fucking thing pretty much planned out from the start. They advertised ME1 as being the first part of a trilogy, and that they had mapped out what was going to happen in ME2 and 3. I figured that would've included the goddamn ending.

Instead Mac Walters and Casey Hudson thought it would be fun to come into your house and kick you in the teeth. "Closure? Fuck your closure. Here's explosions and an open ending."

And to think I usually prefer open endings.

kuYuri

Avoided all spoilers and beat ME3 for the first time earlier today. Then I read about this Marauder Shields meme for the first time.

I swear I took this screenshot before I even knew such a meme existed, heh. It doesn't have the same ring to it though.

Fire Mac Walters

As much shit as I have said about him, I would never advocate for the firing of someone I don't know and who never hurt me personally.

There was a guy that came into our Halloween store high on Crystal Meth every single day. Him? I advocated for his firing. He once asked me if I was going to eat "all those cupcakes", and tried to throw a metal chair in the trash.

A guy that I think is a bad writer? Not as important to me.

The ending of the game should have been Shepard and Garrus and Wrex, bros forever, walking away from all the Reapers exploding. Because they are cool guys. And after that a cool montage with an 80s rock song.

Moaradin

As much shit as I have said about him, I would never advocate for the firing of someone I don't know and who never hurt me personally.

Maybe I'm just being too harsh but they should have kept him in the position hes good at. If he did write the dialogue of Garrus in ME3, then he's a damn good character writer. They shouldn't have put him in charge of the ending with no input from the other writers.

The ending of the game should have been Shepard and Garrus and Wrex, bros forever, walking away from all the Reapers exploding. Because they are cool guys. And after that a cool montage with an 80s rock song.

The credit song of ME3 is perfect. Great homage to ME1 and fitting song to boot. Sucks that it was overlooked with the shit that preceded it though.

Marauder Shields was unquestionably the hardest part of Insanity for me. I spent about an hour on him having stayed up to 10AM finishing the game until I was like, fuck this (I found out he was the last enemy in the entire game), switched the difficulty to narrative to finish the game, and loaded up my last save four days later to get the Insanity achievement (at the time, I wasn't sure if I had even set the difficulty before leaving Earth or not, so it was not worth staying up any longer than the 27 hours I had stayed up at that point beating my head against the wall). The loading times, slow motion, and sleep deprivation was just too much.

Eh I wouldn't even consider DA2 a good game. Everything wrong with it was core design things like all the environments were literally the same. I thought the story was pretty shitty also and the combat a big clusterfuck.

The ending of DA2 was probably worse than ME3's ending but by then, I was expecting it since the rest of the game didn't hold a candle to the sheer scope of DA: Origins. ME3 was pretty much the best in the series up until the last 10 minutes, which makes ME3's ending all the more devastating.

I still have hope Bioware will correct this somehow. Fire Mac Walters and get the rest of the writing team that did the other parts of ME3 to brainstorm a new ending or fill in the holes
indoctrination haha
. Wishful thinking lol.

Eh. Reuse of areas sucked, alot. But the combat was fine and the characters amazing. The difference between its ending and ME3s is that I didn't have any expectations. Yeah, fighting both bosses no matter what was lame but I chalked it up to them being idiots and needing my murdering skills applied to them. ME3 implied so much more. DA2 is more of a promise ala ME2, with the Chantry war.

Top Bottom