• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Duki

Banned
(continual disclaimer: I still haven't played ME3)
It flabbergasts me that the ending sequence of ME3 (not even the ending, just the pre-ending sequence) apparently doesn't demonstrate a wide variance based on all of the work you've been doing up until then. That was like one of the best parts of ME2. That was one of the only things I liked about ME2!

absolutely

the me2 ending, despite being kind of shitty plot wise with the human reaper or whatever, was mechanically pretty evocative of its narrative

the entire game was about recruiting people, and gaining their trust and loyalty so that they would go on this crazy suicide mission with you. if you did not do well enough in earning this trust, the mission could fail

once you're at the final mission, you see the impact of the choices you made in acquiring squadmates/earning their loyalty. only some guys can do some things, and if you don't have their respect as a commander, the whole thing can go to hell.

but not only are you witnessing the impacts of your previous choices, you get to make a whole host of new choices which directly impact the ending, and which you make based on what you've experienced throughout the game. you know who your best biotics are if you've done their story missions, you know who your best hackers are, you know mordin should probably retreat with the civilians, etc. if you get this wrong you're a shitty commander. it also allowed you to finally escape the fact that the entire game has you using only two squadmate out of a billions. for the first time in the series, you really need everyone, and use everyone, in order to survive. the ending validates spending time getting squadmates you never use through normal gameplay, because you will need them at the end.

mass effect 3 literally does none of this, not with your squadmates, and not with the species you've allied to you cause

literally left with two trucks with missiles killing the one reaper left in our way

fuck this ending

GSR

Indeed, something like at least a quick cutscene with Jack and her posse throwing up shields for everybody seems a natural, maybe even her showing up in London if an LI. Simple to just plop her in-game model there somewhere along the way to Anderson.

And speaking of Anderson, I thought he might rejoin your party for part of the final level, but nope. I know it's Bioware tradition to have the starting party member who never joins up again later, but still, it would have been nice to have him join up again near the end. Bookends things well.

Maybe I'm just hallucinating, but I remember there was some interview back with one of the devs (it might have been Hudson) discussing squadmates in ME3 and he said something about how they weren't going to have the typical squad layout, but rather characters could join/leave at different parts of the plot and how there'd be more one-mission squadmates and the like. Guess it didn't turn out that way, what with Ashley/Kaidan being the only members who aren't just glued to Shepard after they join (unless Tali takes a long walk off a short cliffside, of course.)

Also, god dammit Bioware I had enough of "loyalty causes random death" in ME2. Now I'm reading that quite a few ME2 squadmates arbitrarily die during their mission in ME3 if they weren't loyal.

btw: I would have vastly preferred the Daikatana Kai Leng in your avatar over '90's runaway boy' that we ended up with.

Thanks! One lame thing is that Kai Leng is an Asian male character, a type that has been sadly underrepresented in a lot of North American media. So not only did they turn him into a stereotypical ninja, they gave him stupid superhero goggles that obscure his face. Omen Deng he ain't.

Duki

Banned
Thanks! One lame thing is that Kai Leng is an Asian male character, a type that has been sadly underrepresented in a lot of North American media. So not only did they turn him into a stereotypical ninja, they gave him stupid superhero goggles that obscure his face. Omen Deng he ain't.

the damn mask even has slit eyes!

how fucking lazy and offensive is that

couldn't even just give him normal techno goggles

had to be an extra asianified thing just so he could be more of a stereotype

Tokubetsu

I think to go along with that idea each race should have their own version of Cerberus. Turian militarist special-ops divisions who decide the only solution for survival is to embrace the Reapers, maybe made up of officers who once served with Saren. Salarian scientists who decided the same thing, who hypothesize the best chance that organics have is to become consumed the Reapers, hoping to establish some sort of independent entity within their hive mind. Asari and Hanar cultists who are basically devil worshippers because they believe the Reapers are stronger than their traditional gods/the Enkindlers. Volus who just want to make a quick buck selling out their organic brethren. The possibilities are endless!

Instead we just get humans, humans, and humans, when the whole point of Mass Effect is that humans are not as militarily powerful as the alien races.

Another painful reminder about how lame ME prequel games would be. Humans have only been on the galactic stage for about thirtyish years at the start of ME1. You can't even say the first contact war would be cool to play through (Even as an action game) as it A) Only last three months and B) I believe only something like 800 humans died...during the whole "conflict." Pretty sure the Turians don't even consider it a war.

His actions were in line, but his character was ruined because of the fact that we had allllllllll this buildup for TIM and he goes out with such a whimper. That's called low return. Terrible. He just gets shot by a basically dead Shep and then that's it.

also: we should have just seen him sitting in that chair of his, with Kai Leng intervening for his escape.

But then, I didn't really like Cerberus as the main enemy at all. ALL sidemissions are Cerberus, yet they always tie into the ending with TIM. Then why are they sidemissions?
And why is there no similar confrontation with the Reapers, who are supposed to be the BIG, BIG BAD of the entire series?

There is also no point to moving the Citadel to Earth, the last mission should really just be battle for the citadel 2.0 with survivors (hello Jacob) and reapers duking it out while reapers and fleets engage outside.

The ME3 ending does simply not establish that the reapers find the crucible a threat to their existence, with Harbinger just dropping in and out like that, yet completely ignoring the crucible and shepard ON the citadel.
If Harbinger and other reapers really had any survival instinct worth speaking of, Harbinger should have torpedoed himself right into the citadel for some one-on-one "talk" with Shepard, TIM, and Anderson.

fuck space child. aaaarggggh, RAGE RISING. Good god, how the fuck do you come up with that shit?
Even a rabid fan who completed the game said: "there is no way anyone could think that to be a good ending". I mean... fuck, man.

DTKT

Heh.

The real issue with Kai Leng is that he comes out of fuckin nowhere. No introduction no background, no conversations. If he was an actual "character" and not just a walkin stereotype, then he would be mildly interesting.

He doesn't belong in ME3.

dankir

the damn mask even has slit eyes!

how fucking lazy and offensive is that

couldn't even just give him normal techno goggles

had to be an extra asianified thing just so he could be more of a stereotype

His eyes were sensitive to light! I did enjoy killing him though. I renegaded that shit instantly lol.

I assume they wanted one ending, which is Shepard dead and the Mass Effect relays destroyed. I'm not annoyed by the lack of choice in the ending, just the crappiness of the ending. In fact, I think there should only be 1 ending: defeating the Reapers and Shepard sacrificing herself (himself) to do it. I think the complete lack of choice and in choosing the ending and none of the previous game variables affecting the ending illustrates that Bioware wanted only one ending, probably for future content. Fine. But make it a good ending, not a bad twist filled with space magic.

Shepard defeats the Reapers, dies, and that's it. If they wanted to make the player's choices matter, show characters dying or surviving left and right prior to the ending like ME2.

They shouldn't have tried to get cute with having a twist ending.

The prequel games definitely need to star the alien races. This isn't the '60s anymore, sci-fi can easily feature interesting aliens and aren't limited by sfx or makeup. More sci-fi makers need to consider making humans a bit player in fiction.

Oh, another point about the Cerberus thing- am I the only one who thinks that Cerberus is overrepresented in ME 3?

Najaf

Waiter: "Sir, you have been to our fine restaurant before, no?"

Patron: "Yes I have, twice actually. The first time was fantastic and the second was perfect except for the desert which I found to be out of place with your restaurants usual menu, which I have grown to love."

Waiter: "I am so sorry for that sir. Though I can personally guarantee that tonight your experience will be unforgettable. As a matter of fact, why don't you tell me what you ordered during your first two visits, and I will have the chef prepare something that reflects and complements your prior visits, resulting in a dining experience that is unique to you! Tomorrow you will not be able to tell your friends I had desert A, B, or C. It will be a unique reflection of your personal experiences with our fine establishment thus far. How does that sound?"

Patron: "That sounds fantastic. You know, I have heard about this feature in your advertisements, and to be honest; that is one of the main reasons I decided to come that first time, and then have returned twice now. I am very much looking forward to this unique conclusion."

*in the interests of time*

Patron: "What the fuck? I'm sitting here finishing my shockingly bad Green pudding as it seemed like the best choice out of the THREE you offered, and I'm thinking, 'Hey, maybe I just chose the wrong option. Those other two deserts must have been so much better'. And low and behold I look at that table and he is choking down the exact same shitty desert, just with a different food coloring on it! And that lady over there has a different color, and oh, whats this? Her spoon fell over when you were serving it to her, and you had the balls to call it different to her face! The spoon falling over is not a unique conclusion! Oh, and then best of all. You deliver the check with your little generic note telling me to be sure to check back to this hell hole soon so I can drain more money on sides for the main course that I finished a half hour ago! Shit, you could at least have told me it was a joke and the real desert is on its way. Fuck this! I have got to be dreaming right?"

Waiter: "Sir, I delivered on every front. It is not my fault that you have such poor taste. You must have wanted a happy dish? Perhaps I should have brought out a birthday hat and some kazoos, and we could have baked you a little baby cake with sparklers on it, and given you a kitten to take home. You just cannot accept the bittersweet perfection on your plate."

LegatoB

Heh.

The real issue with Kai Leng is that he comes out of fuckin nowhere. No introduction no background, no conversations. If he was an actual "character" and not just a walkin stereotype, then he would be mildly interesting.

He doesn't belong in ME3.
He has plenty of background! -- in the Mass Effect novels.

Tokubetsu

The prequel games definitely need to star the alien races. This isn't the '60s anymore, sci-fi can easily feature interesting aliens and aren't limited by sfx or makeup. More sci-fi makers need to consider making humans a bit player in fiction.

Oh, another point about the Cerberus thing- am I the only one who thinks that Cerberus is overrepresented in ME 3?

This is the same company that put the character James Vega into the game for some stupid reason instead of featuring already established, and much better characters. They're not going to make a game starring an alien.

And they are. You're literally fighting Cerberus for 70% of the game if not more. It's pretty much all cerberus until the second act where you get some geth.

I just finished Geoff Keighley's "The Final Hours of Mass Effect 3".
Excellent app. Well worth the money.

I'm a huge fan of the series and I loved ME3 but after reading the aforementioned piece, it's pretty obvious the ending was so rushed and changed numerous times that no wonder we got this mess that we got.
They (Casey and Mac in particular) can talk on and on how this was "planned", etc. but it's clearly said that it's not. They mixed and changed a TON of things near the end of the game as the crunch was settling in.

Could we have gotten a better ending? Doubt it, since the main motif and theme was indeed planned well ahead by Mac.
But this wasn't to supposed to end like this. Not like this at all. The sense of emptiness is astonishing.

Yes, I love ME3 but I'm a bit dead inside after finishing it last night...

*sigh*

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Replace Kai Leng with an indoctrinated Miranda/Jacob. By golly, it could even depend on your choices in ME2! Remember that game?

Suddenly, you have interesting and engaging character motives and interations. Instead of that dumb shit with a random character that comes out of nowhere.

Anderson: YEAH I REMEMBER HIM, THAT BASTARD

Me: What...?

rififi

Replace Kai Leng with an indoctrinated Miranda/Jacob. By golly, it could even depend on your choices in ME2! Remember that game?

Suddenly, you have interesting and engaging character motives and interations. Instead of that dumb shit with a random character that comes out of nowhere.

Damnit you guys, stop coming up with good ideas. It makes the reality far more depressing.

MechaX

I feel sorry for the people who were first introduced to Kai Leng through Deception like I was.

I cannot un-think his cereal-stealing and toothbrush-wielding status.

Making Jacob into a double-agent who may or may not be Indoctrinated would breathe new life to his bland character. In a game that already has James Vega and possibly Kaidan, Jacob needs a differentiator. Instead he got a baby mama. Not to allege racial stereotyping or anything, but why? Why does he randomly knock up some other woman if he may still be in love with FemShep?

Duki

Banned

bro didnt you read the amazing books and comics?

but they were so well written and well made

how could you not

Vamphuntr

I feel sorry for the people who were first introduced to Kai Leng through Deception like I was.

I cannot un-think his cereal-stealing and toothbrush-wielding status.

The hilarious thing is that they mention the tootbrush in ME3. When you do the mission on the Citadel you can check a datapad where it says a mysterious man with a toothbrush passed customs or something like that :lol.

The hilarious thing is that they mention the tootbrush in ME3. When you do the mission on the Citadel you can check a datapad where it says a mysterious man with a toothbrush passed customs or something like that :lol.

IIRC Traynor also talks out of the blue about how she needs a specific fancy toothbrush after some conversations with her at the command center.

derFeef

I am sure you guys would love some ME anime avatars ;)
I apologize.

WImSX.png
F2paV.png
PeAV8.png
MXcjH.png

tRqct.png
72H4M.png
QVqv9.png
UJgVq.png

At this point, the only prequel I want is a Marauder Shields game detailing his journey to finally fight The Shepard before the Space Magic Mountain Ascension.

mxgt

Banned
I've been looking at all the different variables and outcomes possible in the final ME2 mission and ending

It's like a completely different company did the ME3 ending

Tokubetsu

I am sure you guys would love some ME anime avatars ;)
I apologize.

WImSX.png
F2paV.png
PeAV8.png
MXcjH.png

tRqct.png
72H4M.png
QVqv9.png
UJgVq.png

You just reminded me that fucking JAMES VEGA is getting his own anime. Not Samara, or Jack, or Zaeed, or Kasumi, you know, any of the other more interesting chracters with backstories that are only hinted at. No, James fucking Vega gets his own shit. Loco.

Biggzy

I just finished the game and I have to largely echo everyone thoughts about the ending and how it got Deus Exed. What makes me more perplexed about the ending is that from day one Bioware always planned Mass Effect as a trilogy, so you would think they would have written the entire story arc years ago and made sure it was damn good.

Overall the best thing about Mass Effect isn't its story but its characters.

You just reminded me that fucking JAMES VEGA is getting his own anime. Not Samara, or Jack, or Zaeed, or Kasumi, you know, any of the other more interesting chracters with backstories that are only hinted at. No, James fucking Vega gets his own shit. Loco.

It's like how Jacob got his own iOS game- that's the only way such a bland character can get fleshed out in this series.

derFeef

But isn't that a more traditional anime? Zaeed would be boss, because Zaeed IS the boss.

MC Safety

Cerberus was overrepresented in Mass Effect 2.

I get it: Shephard has to be the tiniest bit grateful Cerberus saved his life. But if you did any of the side missions in the first game, you'd know Cerberus is a pretty shitty group with absolutely no moral compunctions.

But for the sake of the plot, they're okay in part II. And Shephard really doesn't have much of a problem working with it.

dankir

I just finished the game and I have to largely echo everyone thoughts about the ending and how it got Deus Exed. What makes me more perplexed about the ending is that from day one Bioware always planned Mass Effect as a trilogy, so you would think they would have written the entire story arc years ago and made sure it was damn good.

Overall the best thing about Mass Effect isn't its story but its characters.

Agreed! From the very first mission on Eden Prime in Mass Effect 1 up until you get blown to bits by Harbinger is where trilogy shines. It a masterpiece and I loved every minute of the series. Then the last 30 minutes... goddammit.

Tokubetsu

It's like how Jacob got his own iOS game- that's the only way such a bland character can get fleshed out in this series.

You can tell Bioware really challenged themselves with Vega. "How do we make a NEW character whose roll is basically already filled by Kaiden/Ashley?" "I know, let's make a meathead who comes up with the dumbest, and most simple nicknames for everyone he meets!" "Brilliant!"

Patryn

Cerberus was overrepresented in Mass Effect 2.

I get it: Shephard has to be the tiniest bit grateful Cerberus saved his life. But if you did any of the side missions in the first game, you'd know Cerberus is a pretty shitty group with absolutely no moral compunctions.

But for the sake of the plot, they're okay in part II. And Shephard really doesn't have much of a problem working with it.

That was one of my problems with ME3. It's like all the characters berate you for ever working with Cerberus and I'm like "I KNOW! I didn't want to work with those bastards, but I didn't have a choice!"

Any time you even had to somewhat justify their actions I raged.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I think to go along with that idea each race should have their own version of Cerberus. Turian militarist special-ops divisions who decide the only solution for survival is to embrace the Reapers, maybe made up of officers who once served with Saren. Salarian scientists who decided the same thing, who hypothesize the best chance that organics have is to become consumed the Reapers, hoping to establish some sort of independent entity within their hive mind. Asari and Hanar cultists who are basically devil worshippers because they believe the Reapers are stronger than their traditional gods/the Enkindlers. Volus who just want to make a quick buck selling out their organic brethren. The possibilities are endless! There should be all sorts of dangerous groups getting Indoctrinated and serving the Reapers.

Instead we just get humans, humans, and humans, when the whole point of Mass Effect is that humans are not as militarily powerful as the alien races.

Actually a big point of mass effect is that humans ARE as military powerful. They came out of nowhere and were about to have a possibly devastating war with the Turians. Since the Turians were THE military force of the Citadel space, that says a lot for Human's military power.

Plus humans got their embasy and soon after a council because their military was so impressive.

Top Bottom