• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Dacon

Banned
The amount of judgmental bullshit being thrown towards folks who didn't like the ending is downright ridiculous.

I have yet to personally witness anyone insult someone for LIKING the endings too.

inky

Another horrible ending that comes to mind is LOST.

Lost was understandable because they were making shit up as they went along. It started like something out of survivor, then they wanted to add drama and a sense of mystery, then they went full batshit paranormal, then they tried to crawl out of some holes by dabbling into sci fi and ended it all with some irreconcilable existentialist bullshit.

Mass Effect was always a space adventure, very pulpy, that tried to have a hard basis here and there, but it ultimately was a story of bringing enemies together, of personal relationships, explosive action and overcoming what seemed like insurmountable obstacles. It was never some kind of high intellectual dissertation on the nature of humanity and the universe.

I'd also agree with those who say it is one of the worst endings I have ever seen in my life because ME as whole didn't need that bullshit, it doesn't fit with the universe.

The amount of judgmental bullshit being thrown towards folks who didn't like the ending is downright ridiculous.

I have yet to personally witness anyone insult someone for LIKING the endings too.

All of the judgmental bullshit is coming from people who haven't even finished the game yet. They think that the ending can't be that bad, but they will see the light. A lot of people in this thread and the old one were the same way, wondering why there was so much hate for the endings and then they realized why.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Not just Penny Arcade, pretty much every gaming "journalist"/press figure has boiled this whole thing down to entitlement and "they just want a happy unicorn ending!"

the game "journalists" play 100s of game and rarely the get attached to the universe of a game.

when you wasted so much time in me universe and you fell for bioware then you are the majority hating the 3min ending.

Tokubetsu

The best thing about ME3's ending, is that I now appreciate Battlestar Galactica's end more. If you followed BSG, you kinda saw that end coming halfway through s4 but it still hurt, and was painful to watch. At least we saw it coming ='(

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I just realized...with the ending of mass effect 3...was all of mass effect 2's story just rendered completely irrelevant? I mean, why even do all the shit with Cerberus if TIM went out like a bitch anyway? All reaper stuff in me2 couldve been in me3 or got stuffed into me1.

Tokubetsu

Just beat this yesterday.

I'm one of you now.

Is this where I can get therapy for that awful, awful ending?

We're on OT2 now. We're all out of hugs.

I just realized...with the ending of mass effect 3...was all of mass effect 2's story just rendered completely irrelevant? I mean, why even do all the shit with Cerberus if TIM went out like a bitch anyway? All reaper stuff in me2 couldve been in me3 or got stuffed into me1.

Yes. ME2 is even more of a BS, 30hr sidequest now.

So what was the original ending that was leaked early on?

There appears to be no difference.

The 'edit file' does show that the Prothean was originally intended to be the Catalyst (the final hours app states that the 'CAT mission' on Eden Prime was cut and moved to be completed later), but that is all you can really conclude from it.

Most of the material consists of stuff that has no bearing on the final version, like Aria's retaking of Omega.

i-dfFJj7N-X2.jpg

Ugh, people don't want a happy unicorn ending, just one that doesn't shit on the 100+ hours they have put into the games.

There is no way the ending would be happy anyway. Possibly hundreds of millions of people are dead and most species home worlds are in ruin.

dankir

Go to the other thread, there was a lot of ppl calling me stupid for liking the ending I got. Saying I didn't pay attention to anything. Then I went and watched the other "endings"

I would imagine that very few people want "THE" ending to be happy , but rather "A" ending to be happy. As in one of many endings to be earned that are actually different. I want my one "save everyone" Shepard to retire to a Rannoch beach house with Tali. I also want my FailShep who got everyone killed at the Collector's base to watch the Reapers destroy the galaxy.

ME2 was irrelevant from day 1. I enjoyed the characters and loyalty missions, but 99% of that game was a side story. More so now.

IT ALL WENT WRONG WHEN THEY REMOVED THE MAKO. I firmly belive that's the point where the timeline split, and we got stuck with Bizarro Bioware.

Cyborg771

Neo Member
One good thing out of that PA comic is more people seeing penny arcade as the unfunny strawman bullshit it is.

Wait, I thought that the PA comic was poking fun at the idea that disgruntled fans wanted the happy-sunshine ending, not at the fans themselves...

I was totally misreading it I guess?

Edit: Yeah, here's the accompanying blog post. He talks objectively for a bit about what's going on then says how much he likes Indoctrination Theory...

http://penny-arcade.com/2012/03/16/the-delicious-invasion

I just saw the additional hubbub about Tali's face. Stock photo with a crap photoshop. They really weren't even trying were they!

OTOH, at this point, I've gone from being annoyed by the low effort 'shop to now actually glad they at least did something (and that we weren't trolled with her looking like a camel lol). With entire parts of the ending not shown or incomplete (such as Normandy/crew pickup and ME2 LI's being superseded by ME1 LI's in the ending flashbacks), thank goodness for small favors. Mind, this is me essentially giving them a checkmark simply for showing up to class, not high praise.

sTeLioSco

Banned

the ending makes the whole me trilogy irrelevant!!!

imagine replying it and realizing all those decision you thought are important are just cosmetic!

basically in me you just choose teammates. the main selling point of m.e. the "choices" are a joke.they dont matter.

Tokubetsu

Ugh, people don't want a happy unicorn ending, just one that doesn't shit on the 100+ hours they have put into the games.

There is no way the ending would be happy anyway. Possibly hundreds of millions of people are dead and most species home worlds are in ruin.

Not possibly, it's known. Between Palaven and Thessia alone, thats like 20+ mill dead. Bartarians are basically extinct now too but no one cares because lol bartarians. The elcor world gets totally fucked too if you do that sidequest to help save a few thousand civillians.

"Fans just want a happy rainbow Hollywood scenes."

"Actually, the scenes where Mordin, Legion, and Thane die are fantastic and heartwrenching, as are other possible death scenes, and we have no problem with an ending(s) where Shepard sacrifices his/herself for the galaxy, or even one where the Reapers could win if you played poorly."

"Yeah well, you just want a dumb happy ending because you don't understand the thought provoking art of the real one."

I would imagine that very few people want "THE" ending to be happy , but rather "A" ending to be happy. As in one of many endings to be earned that are actually different. I want my one "save everyone" Shepard to retire to a Rannoch beach house with Tali. I also want my FailShep who got everyone killed at the Collector's base to watch the Reapers destroy the galaxy.

That's how I feel. The happy ending should be earned.

But most people will feel content with an ending that is coherent

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
the ending make the whole me trilogy irrelevant!!!

imagine replying it and realizing all those decision you thought are important are just cosmetic!

basically in me you just choose teammates. the main selling point of m.e. the "choices" are a joke.they dont matter.

Yup. Sure, idiots would point to the simple stripping away of mystery as the reason why this is (I mean, the Prothean beacon turned out to basically be a really, really old voicemail) but when nothing matters, it takes away all the emotional connection you have to the game. Then, all you're left with is shooting stuff in the head.

Like the new, "had to play to get full EMS Multiplayer" in the new hit game, Mass Effect 3!

Kurtofan

the ending makes the whole me trilogy irrelevant!!!

They matter for the journey, if not for the destination.

Matrix: Revolutions didn't answer a lot of crucial questions like what is the nature of the One and why he could suddenly blow up Sentinels with his mind, but its ending was at least passable. It gave an acceptable compromise between "blowing up the Machines forever, forcing everyone to leave the Matrix and suddenly have to settle in a post-apocalyptic wasteland" and "status quo continues, humans are battery sheep."

Riggs

Banned
Go to the other thread, there was a lot of ppl calling me stupid for liking the ending I got. Saying I didn't pay attention to anything. Then I went and watched the other "endings"
The worst we will do here is call people indoctrinated. Everyone can have their opinions. Although if your opinions differ from "this ending sucks" you are most likely indoctrinated.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
ME2 was irrelevant from day 1. I enjoyed the characters and loyalty missions, but 99% of that game was a side story. More so now.

IT ALL WENT WRONG WHEN THEY REMOVED THE MAKO. I firmly belive that's the point where the timeline split, and we got stuck with Bizarro Bioware.
But the thing is me2 required me3 to validate it. We did all of that loyalty shit because whether we have their support at the end of the game should make a huge difference in the outcome of the galaxy.

Instead, it fucks it over even more than the game did by itself. The middle game/movie/book/whatever of a trilogy always has an awkward place in the hearts of the fans until the final entry is released. Me2 was no different. Me3 was supposed to make us look back on Me2 and say "oh. That's why I did all that. That's why that mattered. This is okay."

Derrick01

Banned

This is very important to the discussion, especially to the assholes who dismiss the criticism as "you just want a happy ending".

THERE IS NO PURE HAPPY ENDING! Galactic civilization is crippled even if the relays don't blow up. We're talking mass economic depression due to the citadel damage and pretty much every species' homeworld. Billions dead, entire military's devastated. Key characters dead regardless of what happens.

This notion that people want ice cream sandwiches and everyone skipping into the sunset is complete horseshit.

Riggs

Banned

Yep after Mako went bye bye I knew it couldn't be good.

Tokubetsu

Matrix: Revolutions didn't answer a lot of crucial questions like what is the nature of the One and why he could suddenly blow up Sentinels with his mind, but its ending was at least passable. It gave an acceptable compromise between "blowing up the Machines forever, forcing everyone to leave the Matrix and suddenly have to settle in a post-apocalyptic wasteland" and "status quo continues, humans are battery sheep."

ME3's ending could be in line with Revolutions if you replace the control ending with a "buy us another 50 thousand years with shepards sacrifice" option instead and you know, you got some closure with the characters you care about.

dankir

The worst we will do here is call people indoctrinated. Everyone can have their opinions. Although if your opinions differ from "this ending sucks" you are most likely indoctrinated.

lol anyways I just want to fight Harbinger, real shame that you don't.

Wonko_C

The final moments of ME3's ending reminded me of Ys Seven, maybe Bioware took a note of the Japanese Anime Book of Villain Clichés or something. Ys Seven plot spoilers below:

In that game, the continent of Altago is being ravaged by a series of natural disasters, giant monsters called Titanos going amok, a disease which petrifies people, and a poisonous purple mist. What caused all these unbalances in Altago?

MAN! Yes, the humans that populate the earth pollute it with war and corruption, Altago runs on a system where every X thousand years the land is completely destroyed and the souls of the dead return to the "Root of all Life", so the continent can be reborn anew and begin the cycle again.

Except Altago is always given a "chance" where a single "Dragon Warrior" is supposed to stop the "Winds of Destruction", in reality the Dragon Warrior is just a formality because all previous generations of warriors have failed miserably. But not Shep- er, I mean Adol Christin, he's such a badass that he completely destroyed the Root of all Creation and saved Altago, and didn't have to sacrifice himself or anyone else in the process.

Sounds familiar?

The whole point of indoctrination is that it consumes everyone. Once it happens, it's inevitable and you can't overcome it.

It made the Reapers that much more scary? I don't know the right word. Then Space Child tells you "JK, they're my toys"

Makes every encounter with a Reaper useless. Makes the entire series useless..

But the point of the Illusive Man is that he's supposed to be the Gendo Xanatos Luthor of the Mass Effect universe, with plans beyond plans and incredible intelligence and will, the best of humanity in terms of sheer ability (aside from Shepard, of course). I would have liked to find out that he wasn't actually Indoctrinated because the Reapers didn't need to; his plans were doomed to fail and he would have undone his entire cause by going through with them. He would have simply been a driven man made insane by his own power and fanaticism. The Reapers wouldn't have Indoctrinated him until he was about to assume control of them or whatever his schemes involved.

Him being Indoctrinated turns him into a Saren clone and wastes an enigmatic character. If he wasn't Indoctrinated, and was merely a megalomaniac, then Shepard could still attempt to convince him to stand down or join his/her cause, because that's what Shepard does.

Tokubetsu

It's pretty amazing to look back at ME2 and just...they literally dropped everything from it. Collectors barely get brought up, Dark Energy plot completely dropped, and harbinger only shoots lasers fast now. Fucking Bioware. Yea it brought TIM and Cerberus to the fore front but they pretty much ruin the character of TIM by time you finish ME3.

Duki

Banned
They matter for the journey, if not for the destination.

but everything you experienced on the journey has been invalidated emotionally by what the destination ended up being

its like meeting a woman, getting intimate with her and falling in love, and then finding out she's your long lost sister. youre not going to remember how much fun you had, youre going to remember that jesus fuck ew what the fuck have i done

the journey is literally tainted

But the thing is me2 required me3 to validate it. We did all of that loyalty shit because whether we have their support at the end of the game should make a huge difference in the outcome of the galaxy.

Instead, it fucks it over even more than the game did by itself. The middle game/movie/book/whatever of a trilogy always has an awkward place in the hearts of the fans until the final entry is released. Me2 was no different. Me3 was supposed to make us look back on Me2 and say "oh. That's why I did all that. That's why that mattered. This is okay."

But making ME2 a "suicide mission" completely ruins that mid-trilogy story building because you're stuck with a million variables for the final chapter and can't make the most of everything because of all the possible dead characters. This series is totally backwards. ME2's final push is like the real end while ME3 is like the twist in the middle. ME1 just sticks out as some random high point that feels disconnected in tone, execution, and gameplay because they completely went left with the sequels.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny because up until you take the magic elevator I was like why are people losing their shit...it is not that bad.... and then you see vent kid and then a kick in the balls.

dankir

It's funny because up until you take the magic elevator I was like why are people losing their shit...it is not that bad.... and then you see vent kid and then a kick in the balls.

One question I had about that, how the hell was Shepard, Illusive Man or Anderson breathing. It's not like they were enclosed within the Citadel weren't they exposed to the vacuum or space?

Top Bottom