• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Nice watch. But I hate when people call developers "lazy". It's amazing these things even come out, it's an insane undertaking and doing it in a few years is remarkable. Focusing development time elsewhere/allocating resources to a different area is more likely. But being "lazy" not so much... If you haven't worked on a triple A product I don't think you should be allowed to classify laziness in the development world. Just a pet peeve, I know what they are essentially stating though :p
ibx3WnkvmlDBlU.jpg

inky

I love how in the Tali pic they couldn't even be bothered to photoshop her fingers correctly. Bioware really has no respect for it's own universe.

I love how in the Tali pic they couldn't even be bothered to photoshop her fingers correctly. Bioware really has no respect for it's own universe.

Regarding that controversy. It seems like just a mismanaged scenario. Majority of creature designers when conceptualizing humanoids ect, do photobashes/paintovers on human photography (usually stock/free photos) and generally do a bunch of variations/different ones. I'm assuming they decided to show the face late in the game, and some higherup/producer took one of the concept studies from a designer w/ out their approval and used it. I'm guessing that was not meant to be in the game, only a face study.

Regarding that controversy. It seems like just a mismanaged scenario. Majority of creature designers when conceptualizing humanoids ect, do photobashes/paintovers on human photography (usually stock/free photos) and generally do a bunch of variations/different ones. I'm assuming they decided to show the face late and the game, and some higherup/producer took one of the concept studies from a designer w/ out their approval and used it. I'm guessing that was not meant to be in the game, only a face study.

Mac Walters said:
We eventually decided that she gives you a memento of her pictures, but the team was throwing around a lot of pictures and designs until we decided on something and said "Yup, that's her".

Haha, yup! Man, they could have just had one of the designers finalized it or given the basic concept to Patryk Olejniczak and let him work some photobash magic with it.

Also, no competent creature designer uses the generic lens flare. I'm guessing someone else added that.

inky

Regarding that controversy. It seems like just a mismanaged scenario. Majority of creature designers when conceptualizing humanoids ect, do photobashes/paintovers on human photography (usually stock/free photos) and generally do a bunch of variations/different ones. I'm assuming they decided to show the face late in the game, and some higherup/producer took one of the concept studies from a designer w/ out their approval and used it. I'm guessing that was not meant to be in the game, only a face study.

Fake edit: Yeah, what heliosRAzi said.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
About the curing the genophage thing, I never told anybody I was told about the sabotage by the Salarian lady. I let Mordin go at the last minute. Then I kept the secret from then on. It would have been interesting if I'd gotten the confrontation with Wrex anyway.

Javik lived in a fragmented/devastated galaxy post-Reaper invasion, but somehow seems to personally know every primitive lifeform from his cycle.

nel e nel

And the rachni are the buggers from Ender's Game (or Starship Troopers), and EDI is Jane (so is Cortana for that matter), biotics are Jedis, krogan are klingons, Protheans are Romans, and Shepard really is Space Jesus who gave his life for our sins of creating synthetics etc etc.

Pick any story, and chances are it's borrowed stuff from things that came before.

Pick any story, and chances are it's borrowed stuff from things that came before.

There's a bit of a difference between reusing common ideas and themes and using slightly altered stock photographs. Some of the other stuff on that list (antispirals, Gamestop) is nonsense though.

DarkKyo

About the curing the genophage thing, I never told anybody I was told about the sabotage by the Salarian lady. I let Mordin go at the last minute. Then I kept the secret from then on. It would have been interesting if I'd gotten the confrontation with Wrex anyway.

I brought it up in the ship and Wrex was like "you're a true friend Shepard" or something like that lol

And the rachni are the buggers from Ender's Game (or Starship Troopers), and EDI is Jane (so is Cortana for that matter), biotics are Jedis, krogan are klingons, Protheans are Romans, and Shepard really is Space Jesus who gave his life for our sins of creating synthetics etc etc.

To add on to it, the walking dead thing was an intentional spoof, since the me3 cgi trailer debuted on a walking dead episode.

Bowdz

Thanks for posting that. It summed up my feelings to a T.

The whole point of the rising action is to slowly build up the tension until the reader/player/watcher is on the edge of his seat. Resolution is where writers gently begin letting the reader/player/watcher relax, and allow them to absorb the journey they just completed, relieving the tension created earlier and most importantly allow the characters to return to a more normal state. By trying to shoehorn the Resolution into the Rising Action, any calming effect the resolution might have had on us was completely lost when we dove back into the rising action with the Battle for London and the charge for the Citadel Beam, and the characters are all prepared to die and still in crisis mode. We were never given a chance to see how they have changed over the course of the game. That’s the big reason why so many people were left feeling unfulfilled at the ending, there was no opportunity for resolution with the characters we’ve grown to love. The plot line itself was resolved, albeit in a horrible illogical way, but it was at least resolved. With the characters, however, we’re left adrift in a sea of confusion and grief without any kind of resolution to throw us a lifeline.

I honestly hadn't thought about the ending in terms of the dramatic character arc, but it is pretty incredible that Bioware tried to tie up the character stories before thrusting Shepard back into conflict.

saunderez

Yeah, I can't believe whoever made that was dumb enough to put the Walking Dead tie-in in there.

The first scene is a stretch too. It's clearly not using the first image as a base for the second. Yeah it's similar but it's not like the first image is unique anyway.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The Gamestop ad was intentional. For those of you who don't watch the TV show The Walking Dead, it featured a lot of Mass Effect 3 commercials during the breaks. I think one of the trailers even debuted during an episode.

Replicant

Really? And he didn't confront you? I thought he'd get a recording of you talking to the Dalatross.

And oh, I feel better about liking Garrus' convo in ME3 because he's not written by Mac Walters:

skoolmunkee.tumblr.com said:
Maybe the reason I like Javik so much is because he was written by the same guy who wrote Garrus, thank you John Donbrow

Zen

Banned
The bad thing about romancing Liara is that you were only with her for 5 or so years. She's like 100 years old and will live to 1000. Her time with Shepard was only a blink of an eye to her.

Now she's just gonna have jungle babies with Joker.

You'd figure that Joker would be her last choice given all the other choices available to her amongst your crew (Garus would be a good candidate, given the circumstances).

But She can also just make a Shepard baby anyway, I mean she already has your particular genetic makeup on file, so to speak.

MC Safety

Somebody brought it up in another thread, and I have to concur with the assessment: Removing the option to holster your weapon was incredibly stupid.

And why did BioWare mess with the quest log and the e-mail system to make them less functional?

- J - D -

Somebody brought it up in another thread, and I have to concur with the assessment: Removing the option to holster your weapon was incredibly stupid.

And why did BioWare mess with the quest log and the e-mail system to make them less functional?

Not enough dev time.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

There's a quote somewhere from Bioware saying it was memory-related. Something about including the new weapons and such having to require you to keep your weapon out at all times.

Your guess is as good as anyone's. I think it's a bit generous to even call it a quest log, as it doesn't update at all during any parts of the quest, just if you have it and if it's done.

Top Bottom