• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

rdrr gnr

This is where criticism goes from being valid within the context of the universe to simply trying to pile on the nonsense. The plot is terrible on its own merit; no need to bring these comparisons. There are hundreds of themes in literature and film that are unique to specific genres (Sci-Fi, Thriller, Mystery, etc.) that repeat themselves in various forms. I'm sure TV Tropes has something good on this one. I do think that the Bioware writers are incompetent, but they aren't plagiarists. I could throw together a decent BSG versus ME3-Ending comparison if I wanted to, but I don't think there is anything worth considering from that juxtaposition. The fact is -- though I can think of nothing off the top of my head -- there is probably another series (books, most likely) that draw from the same themes: a species fighting for self-preservation against a mechanized forced who they themselves think are doing ultimate good.

There's a quote somewhere from Bioware saying it was memory-related. Something about including the new weapons and such having to require you to keep your weapon out at all times.

Which makes whole lot of sense with my 16GBs of RAM. You could never holster on consoles IIRC. They probably just forgot to do it at some point and it was too late to do when people complained.

Demon Ice

Banned
Somebody brought it up in another thread, and I have to concur with the assessment: Removing the option to holster your weapon was incredibly stupid.

Console memory restrictions. The ability to holster the gun would require a different set of animations for Shepard (exploring vs combat), which would require an extra 2-4 MB of RAM that wasn't available.

Obviously that would not have been an issue on PC but...you know Bioware.

Console memory restrictions. The ability to holster the gun would require a different set of animations for Shepard (exploring vs combat), which would require an extra 2-4 MB of RAM that wasn't available.

Obviously that would not have been an issue on PC but...you know Bioware.

Not only that, but the run animations are actually worse in ME3. Poopypants Shepard to save the Galaxy!

I wish this was something that was an easy fix- just plug in ME2 animations, but obviously it isn't or it would have been done already.

Fucky, heavy melee was not worth the trade off.

Hopefully next gen has much higher RAM limitations.

Yeah. You think BioWare would have gotten more proficient with the technology, not less.

See my post above. Basically the excuse- probably reasonable- is that it was removed because of memory limitations. Memory was limited because they added the animations for heavy melee attack.

Why wasn't it fixed for PC? It was on the same to-do list as gamepad support.

AColdDay

Not only that, but the run animations are actually worse in ME3. Poopypants Shepard to save the Galaxy!

I wish this was something that was an easy fix- just plug in ME2 animations, but obviously it isn't or it would have been done already.

Fucky, heavy melee was not worth the trade off.

Hopefully next gen has much higher RAM limitations.

I figured the goofy run animations in single player was so that there was cohesion between it and multiplayer. I liked the slower pace of ME2's combat, but it doesn't mesh well with the frantic pace of a multiplayer Hoard mode. Everything about the combat was sped up, which results in an infinitely sprinting Shepard. The first thing I noticed (after how fucking small the dialogue wheel is on PC) was Shepard's goofy new running animation.

Heavy Melee can go suck a dick, it wasn't worth the effort (too time consuming for Husks), and they nerfed standard melee attacks in the process. In ME2, you could melee a charging husk, which would knock it back (which I would follow up with a shotgun blast) but that's a good way to get slaughtered in ME3. You do a bit of damage, but you lose the knockback which makes standard melee completely useless except in rare situations.

Is that why they also dropped carrying a heavy weapon, or was that just a gameplay thing.

You either get grenades or heavy weapons. They removed grenades from ME2, and substituted the damage type with heavy weapons. However, you can't have a multiplayer hoard without grenades, so they brought them back in ME3 and made heavy weapons special use rare items.

Also, grenades don't react like they did in ME1, where there wasn't any arc on a throw. ME1 grenades fired in a straight line, which meant when you got into high level play you could time the detonations to do some really cool stuff in combat.

DanielJr82

Is that why they also dropped carrying a heavy weapon, or was that just a gameplay thing.
I'm guessing because of the new encumbrance mechanic. A "heavy" weapon would probably be forgone by many, so instead they turned them into temporary dropped weapons.

-Edit-
What jred250 says makes more sense.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Just beat it, chose the path on the right which seems to be the only path on which Shepard survives. Was hoping the relays didn't get destroyed, but they did.

Not sure all the hate, I liked the ending quite a bit, but really wonder what happens from here. Can the races still contact each other?

If they have quantum communicators, assuming they werent destroyed

Another pretty good summation of why the ending doesn't follow the series' precedents and how the ending fails at providing resolution that I thought hit some spot-on points.

http://jmstevenson.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/all-that-matters-is-the-ending-part-2-mass-effect-3/

Honestly, I think like the Final Hours app said, they were toying with Indoc. theory, but ran out of time to make it work, hence why some of the more easily spottable 'hints' are still in there.

This just depresses me because it shows how shackled Bioware is to the monomyth. I mean, come on. You're the most renowned bunch of writers of WRPG. Pick a different shtick.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The thing that bums me out the most (even though I didn't hate the end) is that the relays got destroyed. Now all races are stuck where they are, never again to have a big central meeting place, not to mention your squad is stuck on a random planet never to return home. :(

You either get grenades or heavy weapons. They removed grenades from ME2, and substituted the damage type with heavy weapons. However, you can't have a multiplayer hoard without grenades, so they brought them back in ME3 and made heavy weapons special use rare items.

Also, grenades don't react like they did in ME1, where there wasn't any arc on a throw. ME1 grenades fired in a straight line, which meant when you got into high level play you could time the detonations to do some really cool stuff in combat.

I didn't miss grenades in ME2 at all, but in ME3 I do miss firing my trusty grenade launcher at random dudes who I can't be bothered with.

The thing that bums me out the most (even though I didn't hate the end) is that the relays got destroyed. Now all races are stuck where they are, never again to have a big central meeting place, not to mention your squad is stuck on a random planet never to return home. :(

Sucks that it's the one part of the largely unseen endgame choice consequences that happens no matter what. They must have some sort of DLC or future game planned where they need the solar systems to be isolated again, or they just felt like bumming everyone out.

I mean the relays being destroyed adds absolutely nothing to the ending as it stands in the game, but it is probably the most universe changing thing that happens (other than maybe synthesis, but god knows what that actually does).

MC Safety

Dem heavy melee animations bro.

I'm not sure of the limitations of coding and memory allocation. I understand compromises have to be made.

I'd like to think it wasn't an either or thing. Or that BioWare would have gotten better at working within a console's specifications. Or that BioWare would be able to call upon Electronic Arts' resources to manage a problem.

It's a small thing, given the game's more pressing issues. I just thought it was odd this feature was removed, and that features that were perfectly workable previously were modified to make them less so.

C4Lukins

Finally finished the 3rd game. I thought it was excellent and on par with the previous two. There were things that they did better and things they did worse. I wish I had not heard all the negativity going in about the ending. The ending I got was fine, and the lead up to it was great. The hate for it has reached a creepy level.

We don't exactly know what kind of resources bio-synthetics need though... Maybe they don't need the same energy source as they did before.

And if I picked control or destroy then what?. Also they need at least eezo to power drive core. It does matter what ending I picked people are going to need resource for stuff.

I also stand corrected on the weapon thing. I knew you could holster in ME1, but never figured out how to do it in ME2 I guess I'm dumb.

Karl2177

Finally finished the 3rd game. I thought it was excellent and on par with the previous two. There were things that they did better and things they did worse. I wish I had not heard all the negativity going in about the ending. The ending I got was fine, and the lead up to it was great. The hate for it has reached a creepy level.

So what color did you pick?

C4Lukins

Did you like the cyborg leaves? And Joker's robohat?

Nothing wrong with a good ol robohat. Me saying it was fine and it was great are very different things. There are several moments in the series I can pick apart. In the end I enjoyed the journey and found a bit of muddled closure in the end. I preferred it to the Animal House type endings we have seen in similar RPG's.

Replicant

This brings tears to my eyes. Not as grand as my playthrough which has EVERY single race involved in the fight against the Reapers but it'll do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVS_0Ept2ro

Fucking Bioware. This should be the ending of the series. A massive space battles where the Alliance finally defeat the Reapers. Where strength through diversity wins not everyone turning into one species via space magik.

DTKT

I mean, committing genocide and rewriting the DNA of every single species in the universe is just a great choice.

This brings tears to my eyes. Not as grand as my playthrough which has EVERY single race involved in the fight against the Reapers but it'll do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVS_0Ept2ro

Fucking Bioware. This should be the ending of the series. A massive space battles where the Alliance finally defeat the Reapers. Where strength through diversity wins not everyone turning into one species via space magik.

Yeah, combine that with Shepard and co destroying two reapers on the ground, a conventional war didn't seem that impossible.

saunderez

Nothing wrong with a good ol robohat. Me saying it was fine and it was great are very different things. There are several moments in the series I can pick apart. In the end I enjoyed the journey and found a bit of muddled closure in the end. I preferred it to the Animal House type endings we have seen in similar RPG's.

I felt the same way when the credits rolled in my game but we're definitely in the minority. Then again I was one of those who found closure in the ending of Lost and BSG so it doesn't take a whole lot to satisfy me.

Moaradin

Yeah, combine that with Shepard and co destroying two reapers on the ground, a conventional war didn't seem that impossible.

It took the entire Quarian fleet to kill 1 small Reaper. They would have no chance in hell in winning against thousands of reapers, especially the Sovereign class reapers through conventional war.

C4Lukins

I felt the same way when the credits rolled in my game but we're definitely in the minority. Then again I was one of those who found closure in the ending of Lost and BSG so it doesn't take a whole lot to satisfy me.

Ha same here with both those shows. Although with BSG, I stopped giving a shit about halfway through the series so the finale was actually better then I expected considering how bad the show had become at that point.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Ha same here with both those shows. Although with BSG, I stopped giving a shit about halfway through the series so the finale was actually better then I expected considering how bad the show had become at that point.

I stopped watching after Baltar was like, forgiven and started a religion and every member of the cast was a Cylon and also Starbuck is an angel.

LiK

Another pretty good summation of why the ending doesn't follow the series' precedents and how the ending fails at providing resolution that I thought hit some spot-on points.

http://jmstevenson.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/all-that-matters-is-the-ending-part-2-mass-effect-3/

Honestly, I think like the Final Hours app said, they were toying with Indoc. theory, but ran out of time to make it work, hence why some of the more easily spottable 'hints' are still in there.

Fantastic analysis. Thanks for posting.

Top Bottom