• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Dresden

The bad thing about romancing Liara is that you were only with her for 5 or so years. She's like 100 years old and will live to 1000. Her time with Shepard was only a blink of an eye to her.

Now she's just gonna have jungle babies with Joker.

It's okay, she mind raped Shep. The asari babies will all have Shepard as the 'father.'

Of course the problem is when those asari babies all inbreed and after a century you have a colony of ardat yakshi . . .

CrazyDude

It's okay, she mind raped Shep. The asari babies will all have Shepard as the 'father.'

Of course the problem is when those asari babies all inbreed and after a century you have a colony of ardat yakshi . . .

Can't they just mend with the local wildlife?

rdrr gnr

"We are Legion" I completely forgot he said that.
High-level.
6UI2U.jpg
Goddamn that's good.

The bad thing about romancing Liara is that you were only with her for 5 or so years. She's like 100 years old and will live to 1000. Her time with Shepard was only a blink of an eye to her.

Now she's just gonna have jungle babies with Joker.

Liara seemed pretty determined to find Shepard last time they died, so she'd probably not settle down on the jungle planet unless it was impossible to leave it.

- J - D -

Javik stepped out of the Normandy with Joker and Liara in my Destroy ending. I wonder if she knows that SHepard is alive. DON'T MAKE PROTHEAN/ASARI BABIES, Liara.

Some of the criticism that has been delivered in the heat of passion by our most ardent fans, even if founded on valid principles, such as seeking more clarity to questions or looking for more closure, for example – has unfortunately become destructive rather than constructive.

Dr. Ray Muzyka, co-founder of BioWare
http://blog.bioware.com/2012/03/21/4108/

Wow! I finally read that blog post.

Artistic integrity? lol, my word. As if calling something art is some kind of excuse for it being demonstrably poor and slapdash.

Deadly Cyclone, I went in with my perspective coloured by the negative reaction to the ending as well. And for a while I thought "Wow, what a bizarre overreaction!" While not great, the final mission and moments of the game were passable, though I did have a dreaded feeling that things weren't thought out too well. I could overlook Shepard bizarrely making it to the Citadel, and even Anderson 'following him up', and even TIM appearing out of the blue!

And then Star Child appears... It really seems to me that a handful of people at Bioware experienced a 'Emperor Has No Clothes' moment.

Vamphuntr

Liara seemed pretty determined to find Shepard last time they died, so she'd probably not settle down on the jungle planet unless it was impossible to leave it.

Don't worry we'll find out she also had a PhD in engineering so that she could repair the ship and that Asaris can transform plants into space ship parts.

Don't worry we'll find out she also had a PhD in engineering so that she could repair the ship and that Asaris can transform plants into space ship parts.

She wasn't the only one on the ship with Joker. Though does anyone know exactly how they determine who walks out of the ship? Different people do even in the same kind of ending for people?

GSR

She wasn't the only one on the ship with Joker. Though does anyone know exactly how they determine who walks out of the ship? Different people do even in the same kind of ending for people?

Joker always walks out, then I think EDI always does if they hooked up and it's not the Destroy ending, then your LI. If Joker and EDI didn't hook up or you picked Destroy, I think the second person is random, as is the third if Shepard had no time for love.

JdFoX187

Banned
Finished the game about 3:30 a.m., so I really wasn't following much of the starchild's dialogue or logic. I think I was still more pissed about the god awful combat encounters defending the missiles, but that's another point altogether.

That being said. I chose the blue option and everyone knows where that went. I went back and watched the other two endings on YouTube and not much difference, but whatever. Without thinking too much about the logic of the starchild, I liked the ending. Sheppard has to die, I think, no matter what. They did that. Even though it was cheapened a bit by Mass Effect 2's storyline. And I don't mind not having all of the answers. In fact, I wish the reaper origins were never explained. I'd rather they just be a force of nature that shows up every 50K years.

The indoctrination theory does make sense. But reading through the Google Doc posted, some of the things are extremely nitpicky. In fact, everything about Sheppard and Anderson being knocked out the Alliance forces thinking everyone is dead is nitpicky. That's no more evidence of indoctrination than the Alliance being in such disarray they can't find their people on the ground. But some of it does hold true.

Overall, I think I like what they TRIED to do with the ending. It was downtrodden, depressing and had consequences for the whole galaxy. But I think they handled it extremely poorly. It almost reminds me a bit of The Matrix trilogy's ending. It's trying to be intelligent and provocative, but fails at doing so.

Vamphuntr said:
Wouldn’t be the first time she’s pulled a new skill out of her ass.

“Becoming the head of a successful criminal organization is just like archeology, amirite?”

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
I would play a game that has Jacob as the player character, I am that desperate for more.
One already exists.

While we are on the subject of being angry at mass effect/bioware/EA, this is something that has annoyed me for a long time.

Okay some the release schedules would of been kind of messed up but still the current stuff its terrible.

And next time we get non-customizable armour can we PLEASE have it well spec'd, in fact just make it custom items pieces still.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Please explain how the two choices have anything to do with each other.

I couldn't see him siding with a war-mongering race

You, as a Paragon, cannot side with a war mongering race, but you cured the genophage for the krogan, a war mongering race.

Kind of hypocritical don't you think?

Also, it was stated in ME3 that the quarian civilians don't support the war against the geth and want to make peace and they comprise most of the quarian flotilla. So...

You, as a Paragon, cannot side with a war mongering race, but you cured the genophage for the krogan, a war mongering race.

Also, it was stated in ME3 that the quarian civilians don't support the war against the geth and want to make peace and they comprise most of the quarian flotilla. So...

This. But I just moved on, each player makes his choices/reasoning.

Massa

So he made his decisions based on his opinions and what he thought was right. That's the point of Mass Effect, so what's the argument?

So...

My wife and I just finished our playthrough. She chose the control ending. I immediately showed her the "taste the rainbow" ending comparison video afterwards.

She talks about how she "enjoyed the story of the entire series," but she's being quite evasive in her uniquely Japanese way about what she thinks about the ending. Not a useful bit of information yet.

I'm afraid she gonna pull a Florida Evans at dinner tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKUwcCp7LPE

Krogan became warlike due to Salarian interference. Granted they were probably somewhat like that already, but the whole nuclear armageddon thing was due to the Salarians wanting to use them. (Then you see the Salarians are about to try the same damn thing with Yahg, morons)

Both stories you can see krogan and geth as the victims who deserve a chance at peaceful existence. Of course you can take the other side of the issue and still be justified too.

Edit: whoops guess my thinking on the timeline was a bit messed.

alerus

Neo Member
They should write it something like this.
They cull the galaxy every 50k years to find a species capable of great mutations to make it into their own. But the reason for it is to improve their coding aka something like genetic algorithms.Sadly haven't gotten genetic code yet as a topic in my CS course. So i won't try to explain or research it yet, too busy with finishing up stupid rush hour solver program.

You could work the dark matter stuff into it as well.
Organic life is a mutation a chance that happens so if a species is adaptable enough that reapers find them fit.
They will make them a reaper and hope that with their genetic code they will find a algorithm that can provide a solution for the dark energy/matter problem

Genetic algorithms are cool, but I'm not sure how much sense it would make in the context of Reapers. GAs really are just a means of search (technically most of AI can be thought of like this, though I suppose evolution as well) where you have an objective function that evaluates the quality of something and the search method uses techniques like biology's cross-over to combine local solutions of the better solutions that already exist in a population and thus produce new solutions. It uses "mutation" to add an element of stochastic search so that entire search space can be explored given infinite time (though locally optimal solutions will probably make this exceedingly difficult). However, often times, the newly created solutions are worse than the former (this is especially true as time progresses) and so the gain of cross over and mutation is only found across many generations where each new solution is evaluated itself and chosen for selection due to its superiority or ignored.

Given that, I don't think using the genetics of organics really plays into the genetic algorithm paradigm because there is no subsequent evaluation of newly integrated organic DNA and subsequent selection from it. They take it and are done with it. And if it's just variation they want, that's easily performed with "mutation."

Reapers should never half talked, it would be so much more effecting if they were just like Bees, doing very complex things by instinct with no consideration given to morality.

At a bare minimum, it probably would have been better to keep their motivations a mystery unless they (Bioware) had some really ingenious idea.

Krogan became warlike due to Salarian interference. Granted they were probably somewhat like that already, but the whole nuclear armageddon thing was due to the Salarians wanting to use them. (Then you see the Salarians are about to try the same damn thing with Yahg, morons)

No, no, no. The Krogan already had their nuclear war before Salarian contact. Because they're naturally war-like assholes.

That happened before the Salarians uplifted them. That's just their nature.

So...

My wife and I just finished our playthrough. She chose the control ending. I immediately showed her the "taste the rainbow" ending comparison video afterwards.

She talks about how she "enjoyed the story of the entire series," but she's being quite evasive in her uniquely Japanese way about what she thinks about the ending. Not a useful bit of information yet.

I'm afraid she gonna pull a Florida Evans at dinner tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKUwcCp7LPE

Thats not good. Let she vent it now, if not she will explode and the anger will charge your way.

Top Bottom