• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

rdrr gnr

I watched the whole thing, but it took a lot of effort to push my way through many of those episodes.
BSG was some of the best and some of the worst television I've ever seen. When Adama became president -- my god. But when Gaeta took over -- that was intense.

: / Halo and Zelda need to be put out of their misery really? Whatever that's not the point of the thread.

If we had gotten a bad Mass Effect game I could agree with you, but we haven't. To lock out your series from all sequels taking place later in the current timeline because you, Casey Hudson being the you in this case, don't want to work on it anymore is selfish.

It'd be like if bungie ended halo reach with a look in to the future, and the universe just exploded.

RyanDG

So, if you didn't reactivate Legion in ME2 - what happens on Rannoch in ME3?

Is there just some other random Geth that comes up and takes his place?

It never sold that well. I predict Bioware folding within a year.

Are you sure? I don't know the numbers, but Mass Effect is a ridiculously popular series. I could see it outselling plenty of other games, especially in March.

Also, Bioware has The Old Republic, which I'm sure will rake in buttloads of cash when it finally goes F2P and offers free in-game wookiee hats for 5 space dollars.

I don't think Mass Effect committed franchise suicide - even with that ending. As shitty as the ending was, it does open up for spin offs and sequels because of the questions it raises.

So, if you didn't reactivate Legion in ME2 - what happens on Rannoch in ME3?

Is there just some other random Geth that comes up and takes his place?

You meet a Geth who looks identical to Legion, but the armor on his chest doesn't have the N7 logo. About as cost-cutting as it gets, since lazy isn't an okay descriptor for some people.

I don't think Mass Effect committed franchise suicide - even with that ending. As shitty as the ending was, it does open up for spin offs and sequels because of the questions it raises.

Every single relay blowing up like a supernova and destroying galactic civilization isn't franchise suicide?

Why does an entirely conventional series need a twist ending? Why do gamers, game reviewers, and people with bad taste like twist endings so much?

Why did they feel the need to have a twist ending? That is the only question I want answered by Bioware at this point.

RyanDG

You meet a Geth who looks identical to Legion, but the armor on his chest doesn't have the N7 logo. About as cost-cutting as it gets, since lazy isn't an okay descriptor for some people.

Yes, same armor, but no N7 patch. Oh BioWare.

Well, guess I have no reason to import my super bizarre saves into ME3 just to see what happens then. I had some really interesting choices that I wanted to carry through, but after seeing how they handled the Collector's base, I sort of lost motivation to do so... The Legion thing just puts icing on the cake for the 'not going to do it' category.

At least I enjoy the multiplayer for a quick 30 minute play session here and there so I guess it's not all a wash.

I really enjoyed the first 2/3rds of the game. Heck, I even really enjoyed the lead up to the final confrontation up until the point that Anderson and Shepherd were on the ground in the Reaper control room.

I think I would've been happy to just have a 30 minute cut scene of giant space battles commencing after the Crucible took down all the Reapers shieldings (with the war assets we gained being showcased as the primary 'participants' in the giant space battles).

Why does an entirely conventional series need a twist ending? Why do gamers, game reviewers, and people with bad taste like twist endings so much?

Why did they feel the need to have a twist ending? That is the only question I want answered by Bioware at this point.

Because "artistic integrity"

Easily fixed via space magic. They have a universe where they can do whatever the fuck they want within good enough reason. They can come up with something.
The only limit is your imagination!

Are you sure? I don't know the numbers, but Mass Effect is a ridiculously popular series. I could see it outselling plenty of other games, especially in March.

Also, Bioware has The Old Republic, which I'm sure will rake in buttloads of cash when it finally goes F2P and offers free in-game wookiee hats for 5 space dollars.

I thinks its got like 5 million sales as a franchise compare the to Skyrim's 10 million and its nothing.

A) I'm no longer interested in that world in the current state its in.
B) Prequels are tied to a 30 year window, because Bioware isn't going to make a game without humans. I have no interest in that time-frame either
C) Casey Hudson specifically says he has no interest whatsoever in making a game that takes place after the events of ME3.

I'm aware that the first two things are opinion, but I've seen a lot of people share them the last one goes back to my selfish point.

saunderez

Because all Geth are unique right? They're robots, it's not much of a stretch to think there are multiple sharing the same chasis as Legion.

Relays blow up. They go nova.

It's pretty unlikely they were detonated since Joker and crew didn't die. They were definitely disabled though.

That is not what happened. Obviously.

Assuming the relays don't wreck their respective system's everybody is still going to starve to death. So everybody is still dead.

Because all Geth are unique right? They're robots, it's not much of a stretch to think there are multiple sharing the same chasis as Legion.
With the same gaping hole in his chest? Also at the time of ME2 Legion said he was the only platform of his kind. So yeah they could have made another one, but for it to pick human armor fix a hole in the exact same spot as Legion is about a big a stretch as the ending it self.

rdrr gnr

Yes, same armor, but no N7 patch. Oh BioWare.
Is that really it?
KuGsj.gif

RyanDG

Legion's look is pretty unique considering that he is augmented with Shepherd's armor. If the Geth basically looks just like Legion including gaping hole in his chest, that's sort of an issue for the lore. Unless they say that this unnamed geth followed the exact same path of Legion and then somehow got Legion's chasis off the normandy and ripped the patch off before meeting up with you on Rannoch.

saunderez

Since when does disabled mean fiery explosion

Maybe it's not a good thing to be inside of a mass relay when it's turned off. All I know is the relays didn't detonate because Joker and crew survived. If they did they wouldn't. It makes much more sense that the wave spread from relay to relay disabling them.

Unless ofcourse they release all their energy first, effectively nullifying that effect.

Do you really think bioware ment for everyone in the Galaxy to die at the end of ME?

Lets not be dense here.
If you establish that relays go supernova when they blow up, we, the audience, are going to naturally work off of that assumption. If a relay blows up and it doesn't go nova, then Bioware should explain why it doesn't instead of leaving it up to...

lots of speculation!

There was no fire. You see the "explosion" blow through human troops with no effect.

Maybe it's not a good thing to be inside of a mass relay when it's turned off. All I know is the relays didn't detonate because Joker and crew survived. If they did they wouldn't.

They go kablooey.

Unless ofcourse they release all their energy first, effectively nullifying that effect.

Do you really think bioware meant for everyone in the Galaxy to die at the end of ME?

Lets not be dense here.

This goes back to the I don't want to work on these games anymore thing I've said like three times in the last two pages now. Yes they did intend for a ton of people to die. The Final Hours App says they see everything's thrown in a galactic dark age. The files for the Stargazer have notes that say its 10,000 years in the future and it sounds an awful lot to me from that scene like space travel isn't all that common anymore.

Juice

This goes back to the I don't want to work on these games anymore thing I've said like three times in the last two pages now. Yes they did intend for a ton of people to die. The Final Hours App says they see everything's thrown in a galactic dark age. The files for the Stargazer have notes that say its 10,000 years in the future and it sounds an awful lot to me from that scene like space travel isn't all that common anymore.

Yeah, I think you're right. Even if it was just the mass relays that were destroyed, none of these species would be capable of traveling to meet one another again.

Even if the relays didn't go supernova, galactic civilization is fucked. People like to point to FTL drives and the diameter of the galaxy, but they always forget about fuel. It takes a lot of fuel to travel between stars in the same cluster. Plus, ships have to discharge static electricity in an atmosphere after a while or else it reaches deadly levels.

The various species are stranded wherever they are.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

Do you really think bioware meant for everyone in the Galaxy to die at the end of ME?

Lets not be dense here.
So, why was Joker leaving?

I think the space magic probably neutralized the relays, but Joker's new planet doesn't make sense.

Demon Ice

Banned
I can't believe Bioware spent the time, money, and effort to model, animate, and craft a storyline for IGN's space bimbo character, who literally nobody wanted in the game, and then revealed Tali's face as a 30-second photoshop job of a stock photo.

And Bioware claims to take fan feedback seriously.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I can't believe Bioware spent the time, money, and effort to model, animate, and craft a storyline for IGN's space bimbo character, who literally nobody wanted in the game, and then revealed Tali's face as a 30-second photoshop job of a stock photo.

And Bioware claims to take fan feedback seriously.
May I quote you on the tumble?

It all came together so badly at the end that on this replay, and on every future replay, I just don't care and never will care about gathering forces or war assets or who I helped or didn't help. The first 2 games I've always played meticulously to make sure that the game ended with as close to perfect choices as I could get. I just don't care with this game. I don't care if everybody dies, I'm just playing it to shoot enemies floating in the air from a singularity.

RyanDG

So, why was Joker leaving?

I think the space magic probably neutralized the relays, but Joker's new planet doesn't make sense.

When Shepherd performed whatever voodoo he did with the Crucible, it opened a tear in the fabric of space/time itself. The planet that Joker crash lands on is actually an alternate dimension of earth that is found once the tear was traversed. Mass Effect 4 is actually going to be set on this planet initially (with Joker as the main character). The first part of the game is going to be a galactic farming game (on Facebook) where you build up your new 'civilization' and have lots of hybrid space babies with whatever love interest you choose.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Yeah, it is a dark age, but that does not mean everyone died.

The "explosion" that is released from the Relays in the cutscene is the EXACT same as expelled by the citadel, the relays are just a way for the range to be extended.

The "explosion" is shown to have absolutely no harmful effects on organics in the very same scene, let alone going supernova which would destroy every cluster that has a Relay in it, destroying not just some but all of galactic civilization.

Yes it was established that a breach in a working Relay would cause it to go supernova, but this is not a breach, the Relays in the cutscenes expell all their energy, and go completely dark as if off before they break apart.

Bioware shouldnt have to spell that out, if you are intelligent enough to understand most of what goes on in the ME universe, then an implied effect like this should not need to be thoroughly explained. Earth was not destroyed, the Normandy was not destroyed, the planet that Normandy lands on was not destroyed.

Not having extreme collateral damage is even mentioned in the Codex entry for the Crucible.

The Pillars of Creation which are about 4ly in length a peice were completley destroyed by a supernova. If every relay in the games universe went supernova, almost every single planet and life form (read: all intellegent life in the galaxy) within radius of the relays would be stardust.

That is obviously not what happened.

Oh that reminds me. Those relays placed in strategic locations around the galaxy that were used as weapons? Yeah they ripped that part off from Halo.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Oh lord. I'm seeing people start to say that Indoctrination Theory is the new Inception.

I'm honestly not seeing how ME3 is shaped in any way to be like Inception?

Yeah, you know, maybe you did really beat the reapers, maybe not...go interpret for yourselves, lots of speculation... We're maybe undoing everything you worked for, maybe not...

Sigh.

Bioware shouldnt have to spell that out, if you are intelligent enough to understand most of what goes on in the ME universe, then an implied effect like this should not need to be thoroughly explained. Earth was not destroyed, the Normandy was not destroyed, the planet that Normandy lands on was not destroyed.

They should spell it out. You can't establish that when A happens, B occurs and then say that when A happens, 1 occurs without an explanation. It causes confusion.

I'm fine with them just being destroy or "disabled" but I think Bioware shouldn't leave it up to speculation.

I'm honestly not seeing how ME3 is shaped in any way to be like Inception?

Yeah, you know, maybe you did really beat the reapers, maybe not...go interpret for yourselves, lots of speculation... We're maybe undoing everything you worked for, maybe not...

Sigh.

The difference between Inception and ME3 is that Inception is based on dreams and we are given hints throughout the entire movie on if it is a dream or not. It's central to the theme. In ME3, if the Indoc theory is true, then it is just used as a twist. If they had a sequence in the game where you overcome indoctrination and then you go on to defeat the Reapers, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but with the theory now, it's worse than the endings we got.

Yeah, it is a dark age, but that does not mean everyone died.

The "explosion" that is released from the Relays in the cutscene is the EXACT same as expelled by the citadel, the relays are just a way for the range to be extended.

The "explosion" is shown to have absolutely no harmful effects on organics in the very same scene, let alone going supernova which would destroy every cluster that has a Relay in it, destroying not just some but all of galactic civilization.

Yes it was established that a breach in a working Relay would cause it to go supernova, but this is not a breach, the Relays in the cutscenes expell all their energy, and go completely dark as if off before they break apart.

The Pillars of Creation which are about 4ly in length a peice were completley destroyed by a supernova. If every relay in the games universe went supernova, almost every single planet and life form (read: all intellegent life) within radius of the relays would be stardust.

That is obviously not what happened.

I'm going by the assumption that the relays simply broke as well. You have to keep in mind that people need to eat. How are all the soldiers that were in the battle for Earth going to find food? How about all the Home worlds that probably don't have their own agriculture anymore and outsource it to colonies? Those Turians, Quarians, and Volus on Earth now can't even eat what little food there is because of their genetic makeup. So no maybe everybody didn't instantly die, but they are going to starve to death eventually.

Oh there's also the all the wreckage of the Citadel to keep in mind some of it is going to be way to big to burn up in Earth's atmosphere and will probably destroy plenty of cities on the ground.

According to the indoctrination theory Shepard never even made it onto the citadel. So nobody ever opened the arms and nobody ever "chose" an ending. So the reapers killed everybody.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
According to the indoctrination theory Shepard never even made it onto the citadel. So nobody ever opened the arms and nobody ever "chose" an ending. So the reapers killed everybody.

The other part of Indoc. theory states that the fight isn't over, it's coming in DLC once "more people have beaten the game" and experienced the 'indoctrination' for themselves.

The other alternative is that Bioware wants the audience to use the Shep breathing cutscene as a springboard for speculation on how Shep finally does beat the reapers to create headcanon stories.

Either direction leaves much to be desired.

edit:

The difference between Inception and ME3 is that Inception is based on dreams and we are given hints throughout the entire movie on if it is a dream or not. It's central to the theme. In ME3, if the Indoc theory is true, then it is just used as a twist. If they had a sequence in the game where you overcome indoctrination and then you go on to defeat the Reapers, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but with the theory now, it's worse than the endings we got.

Right, there's setup in Inception for both sides. As is, the 'setup' in ME3 has no conclusion for its buildup. ME3 isn't about what's real and what's not, therefore, I can't understand the comparison to both the ending-as-is and Indoc. theory BOTH being acceptable potential envisioned endings for a trilogy.

Replicant

Because they have the need to be an 'original snowflake'. "OMG, look at me, I'm so spesshul, I like 'edgy' endings with RGB tints".

Every single relay blowing up like a supernova and destroying galactic civilization isn't franchise suicide?

OK, here's the thing. I do not believe for one second that Bioware is capable of doing so but it does set up for an interesting world where aliens are stranded our solar system and with tensions of what little is left in terms of salvageable resources kind of like that TV series Alien Nation or the movie District 9.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'm going by the assumption that the relays simply broke as well. You have to keep in mind that people need to eat. How are all the soldiers that were in the battle for Earth going to find food? How about all the Home worlds that probably don't have their own agriculture anymore and outsource it to colonies? Those Turians, Quarians, and Volus on Earth now can't even eat what little food there is because of their genetic makeup. So no maybe everybody didn't instantly, but they are going to starve to death eventually.

Oh there's also the all the wreckage of the Citadel to keep in mind some of it is going to be way to big to burn up in Earth's atmosphere and will probably destroy plenty of cities on the ground.

Oh yes there is no arguing that civilization is in a major crisis (although better than being harvested).

I think technology and even FTL drives will still exist after being repaired, however FTL drives alone wont get us far enough to reach other areas of the galaxy. Individuals near Earth at 0 hour will be stuck within several light years of earth until species eventually evolve to be as advanced as the Catalyst/Reapers and are able to build their own Relays. I am sure that quarian and turian food can be synthesized if need be, I doubt every Turian resteraunt in the galaxy relied upon supply lines from the homeword.

In short, yeah , many people are fucked, but I think most will find a way. I think the old man and kid at the end are descended from people that were stranded without FTL drives, on small colony worlds that will one day be rediscovered by systems that faired better.

At any rate, I was just trying to get across that anyone who saw the ending and thought that every Relay in the Galaxy went supernova at the end of ME3 is seriously misguided. That would be far more devistating to the Galaxt than ANYTHING the Reapers could do.

Does anyone else prefer the Normandy's Cerberus paint scheme? I'm deciding which Normandy model to get, and honestly the ME2 version looks way better.

Because they have the need to be an 'original snowflake'. "OMG, look at me, I'm so spesshul, I like 'edgy' endings with RGB tints".

This is the most accurate post I've seen in the thread.

Exactly what is wrong with an all out balls to the wall fight at the end? The intensity was getting pretty high already and "war weariness" seemed to be the ending theme. And it was working. Everyone reaching the end of how far they could push themselves to win. Seeing squadmates fall around you as you are making the final push. I didn't need a happy ending, but what we got was lame and worst of all plodding.

Top Bottom