• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Splatt

Vega is probably better than Jacob and Kaidan but still stupid because given how the squad size was shrunk he takes away a valuable spot from a potential alien character, or even an ME 2 character.

He's definitely better than Jacob and Kaidan, but he still sucks. The only interesting bit that came out of him being in the party is him being a subject of Javik's mocking, and to see that, you had to pay money.

Patryn

I'd pay money for a remastered Mass Effect with graphical upgrades from ME3 and the removal of elevators. And better shooting mechanics, BUT TOUCH NOTHING ELSE.

Touch elevators and I'd be sad. Keep those loading screens to a minimum!

Immersion is king.

MC Safety

I'd pay money for a remastered Mass Effect with graphical upgrades from ME3 and the removal of elevators. And better shooting mechanics, BUT TOUCH NOTHING ELSE.

Not even the part where you drive the shitmobile through every barren and mountainous wasteland looking for space junk? Or the part where you go into the building with all the space crates piled up in exactly the same fashion 50 times over?

I like Mass Effect, but if we're entertaining changes I say make with the changes.

Derrick01

Banned
Touch elevators and I'd be sad. Keep those loading screens to a minimum!

Immersion is king.

I don't know I think I like the loading screens more on PC. Playing through ME1 again and these elevators go on forever, even after everyone's done talking. Meanwhile the few loading screens in that game and the ones in ME3 are near instant for me. I like immersion but I don't like waiting 30-45 seconds in each elevator.

squidyj

But where would I get the elevator conversations from?

Make them ambient when you're just wandering around.

Not even the part where you drive the shitmobile through every barren and mountainous wasteland looking for space junk? Or the part where you go into the building with all the space crates piled up in exactly the same fashion 50 times over?

I like Mass Effect, but if we're entertaining changes I say make with the changes.

The only thing I'd really need changed about the shitmobile is perhaps streamlining the process so you're not stuck grid searching every map. Probably a completion counter for all deployable planets as well as a better method for finding stuff on a planet at range.

I'd be okay with the same old same old space crates but I could allow them updating the art resources too.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I don't know I think I like the loading screens more on PC. Playing through ME1 again and these elevators go on forever, even after everyone's done talking. Meanwhile the few loading screens in that game and the ones in ME3 are near instant for me. I like immersion but I don't like waiting 30-45 seconds in each elevator.

Illos type elevators EVERWHERE

I could actually see Kolyat being a DLC squad member. He'd fit well in the Life Support room which was suspiciously absent the entire game despite letting you enter.

It'd be cool in a way I guess, but I'd imagine that Thane wouldn't have wanted that kind of life for his son.

I mean, sure, Shepard is a force for good and all, but Thane seemed really at peace when he was away from all that and I'd imagine he'd want a more normal life for his son.

Dany

Banned
Yeah, sign me up as another indoctrination believer. If Bioware doesn't announce soon that there will be DLC plans to explain the ending, or even ADD a new branch following the red option...then the game was probably rushed and they ran out of time to get a proper ending in place.

Stumbled across this neat little indoctrination vid for the believers, it's not bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

You exist because we allow it, you will stop because we demand it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So I just finished the game. Dunno if I'm gonna make a post about my thoughts. On the one hand I'd like to cross reference my thought with the old spoilers thread but on the other hand I might end having my thoughts skewed by the immense negativity. I did like some parts, didnt like some others, thought there was a lot of wasted potential, most of my favorite characters died but had good deaths, and I'm bothered by the lack of a door in the back of the hospital cause it make the area seem way too small. Those are my thoughts for now.

Also I approve of Cortez, Eve, squad members moving around the ship and Javik as a character though I still depise his inclusion and the shitty mission they concocted to get people to pay for him.

Oh, and I'd have Major Coats (Big Ben sniper) a squadmate for some DLC missions. Doesn't stick around for too long, but he pals around with Garrus for a bit, they have classier competitions than James does.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It'd be cool in a way I guess, but I'd imagine that Thane wouldn't have wanted that kind of life for his son.

I mean, sure, Shepard is a force for good and all, but Thane seemed really at peace when he was away from all that and I'd imagine he'd want a more normal life for his son.

Probably. But he does kinda vanish after that, so who knows. It might be a 'final' retribution for Thane from his son.

I'd say DLC members would be really hard to integrate in 3 though. They couldn't get away with a Kasumi/Zaeed, it'd need to be on Javik level with a lot of dialog both on the ship and on missions, so it'd be a lot more work if they actually do anything.

Arjen

Poor Bioware
Facebook feed: Download the new Mass Effect wallpaper now!
second coment. Does it come with a new ending?

Hero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxkHqR1w51E&feature=related

I'd like to know how you go from such great dialogue that really sets up the Reapers in ME 1 to the little boy in 3. The hell happened along the way?

It is seriously so disappointing how the Reapers were shrouded in mystery and there was a certain amount of fear from them being unknown. To have Space Casper show up and say 'oh yeah I created them to control the chaos, lulz." is just so awful. Not to mention Sovereign himself says they (reapers) are the pinnacle of evolution. But then Space Casper says merging organic and synthetic DNA (lol what?) will be the pinnacle The fuck? So if that was it all along why didn't he just do that from the start instead of even messing around with Reapers?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Probably. But he does kinda vanish after that, so who knows. It might be a 'final' retribution for Thane from his son.

I'd say DLC members would be really hard to integrate in 3 though. They couldn't get away with a Kasumi/Zaeed, it'd need to be on Javik level with a lot of dialog both on the ship and on missions, so it'd be a lot more work if they actually do anything.

They could totally get away with another Kasumi. Why couldnt they?

Dany

Banned
It is seriously so disappointing how the Reapers were shrouded in mystery and there was a certain amount of fear from them being unknown. To have Space Casper show up and say 'oh yeah I created them to control the chaos, lulz." is just so awful. Not to mention Sovereign himself says they (reapers) are the pinnacle of evolution. But then Space Casper says merging organic and synthetic DNA (lol what?) will be the pinnacle The fuck? So if that was it all along why didn't he just do that from the start instead of even messing around with Reapers?

Sovereign says they are the order to organic chaos. So its not a new idea that the reapers believe they control and fix the galaxy.

Hero

Sovereign says they are the order to organic chaos. So its not a new idea that the reapers believe they control and fix the galaxy.

Yeah, that's not the problem I have with it. It's the fact that instead of the Reapers being something that were built up throughout the three games they wound up being drones for Space Casper. Who the fuck is he?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah, that's not the problem I have with it. It's the fact that instead of the Reapers being something that were built up throughout the three games they wound up being drones for Space Casper. Who the fuck is he?

An AI from some unknown place. Since we have no idea how it or the reapers first came about, you could guess a million things. Regardless, it was stupid to add in lovecraftian horror into a game like Mass Effect. It doesnt work well. At least not as the main antagonist. Otherwise you get into deus ex machina, which also defeats the horror of an eldritch abomination. It leads to ultimate nullifer stupidity.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I was quite happy when Reapers were simply giant super powerful beings that periodically came to the universe to harvest civilizations for procreation and what not. Made it like farming. The Mass relays were the fence to keep us how they wanted. There was no self righteousness, they simply (as Sovereign put it) were. But then on Rannoch the stupid reaper there ruined that with his whole generic robot I'll destroy all humans because we bring order to chaos shit. So cliche.

Zeliard

Their creator

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's fun. You leave the thread for a couple of hours, come back, there's a whole new heard of people just finishing the game going "What the fuck?!?!"

Can't wait to pull all those response when some lone defender calls it a hive mind response. And the screen caps from BSN, SA and /v/ all basically doing the same thing.

At some point and on some level, I would like to think BioWare cares enough about the universe they created and the fans they've cultivated to do something positive to fix this. It's too big for even their PR department to combat with empty words.

...right?

McNum

And from the good parts of the game, I'm beginning to warm up to Javik. He's fun. On any mission where you know you'll kill a Reaper, bring him along. He tries so hard to stay serious and stoic, but when there's a Reaper that needs killin', then Javik is all over that. On Rannoch, where all the other squadmates have an "Oh, crap!" line at seeing the Reaper climb out of the hole, Javik gets an almost happy "You will die next!" line. That Prothean loves to see Reapers die...

I also took him to Thessia. Wow. Poor Liara, but man did she get told. And, of course, the Prothean VI had a reaction to an actual Prothean standing there.

I'm also happy that in the Geth/Quarian resolution the [Warn the Fleet] Intimidate option did exactly what I hoped it did. "Listen here you idiots, in 30 seconds the Geth will power up and kill you all. I saved your hide twice already, but if you're dumb enough to open fire on the geth after I warned you, I'm NOT helping you out of that mess." Not in those words, of course, but the quarians really needed that. And yes, this also leads to peace. It's nice to finally get to call out the quarians on it, too.

Might just take Javik to London. Hope he has a few good lines for the third Reaper kill.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
At some point and on some level, I would like to think BioWare cares enough about the universe they created and the fans they've cultivated to do something positive to fix this. It's too big for even their PR department to combat with empty words.

...right?
They can ignore the bad press for as long as they want.

Welcome, brother. Another one to join our circle. *kindles a candle
More like cult.
Or circle jerk.

WanderingWind

They can ignore the bad press for as long as they want.

More like cult.
Or circle jerk.

They could...but will they?
Mass_Effect_2_paragon_renegade_signs.jpg

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

...right?

We're probably stuck waiting until PAX to hear any real announcement. Thus far, Bioware's excuse on not commenting has been that 'not enough fans have finished the game'.

Myomoto

Yeah, sign me up as another indoctrination believer. If Bioware doesn't announce soon that there will be DLC plans to explain the ending, or even ADD a new branch following the red option...then the game was probably rushed and they ran out of time to get a proper ending in place.

Stumbled across this neat little indoctrination vid for the believers, it's not bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck

Watching this I'm almost convinced that man never walked on the Moon, there was a second gunman, and that 9/11 was an inside job committed by the USA.

Poor Bioware

I wouldn't pity a man who managed to shoot himself in both feet, with one bullet.

Tritroid

It's fun. You leave the thread for a couple of hours, come back, there's a whole new heard of people just finishing the game going "What the fuck?!?!"

Can't wait to pull all those response when some lone defender calls it a hive mind response. And the screen caps from BSN, SA and /v/ all basically doing the same thing.

...right?

Bioware said:
Please note, we want to give people time to experience the game so while we can’t get into specifics right now, we will be able to address some of your questions once more people have had time to complete the game.
By them saying 'we can't get into specifics right now' it sounds like they have something planned, and are just trying to calm the outlash right now. Of course that could just be me being hopeful, but really there's no way they are that stupid to just let things sit as they are.

But then, if they DO/DID have something planned, would they actually release the game with a ridiculous ending and purposely plan to demand more money for an explanation/resolution in a sense trolling the entire ME fanbase? If that ends up being the case, this'll be the first incident of a developer going too far with DLC imo...unless of course it's free. :)

Hero

An AI from some unknown place. Since we have no idea how it or the reapers first came about, you could guess a million things. Regardless, it was stupid to add in lovecraftian horror into a game like Mass Effect. It doesnt work well. At least not as the main antagonist. Otherwise you get into deus ex machina, which also defeats the horror of an eldritch abomination. It leads to ultimate nullifer stupidity.
Yeah, it's stupid either way. The last 1% of a trilogy suddenly introduces a new character to end things is bad writing in any type of media.

Their creator

Where did he come from? Why is he so important? Why does he get to decide everything? Do you see how questions like these are not only stupid because they're inconsistent to the Mass Effect universe but instead of actually closing loose ends they create even more?

K' Dash

Watching this I'm almost convinced that man never walked on the Moon, there was a second gunman, and that 9/11 was an inside job committed by the USA.

The google document posted a few pages back explains the theory in a way it's almost undeniable that Shep was indoctrinated.

Funny that Shep was wounded in the same place that she shot Anderson, and he said to be in a similar place as Shep but there was only one passage to get to the panel, we never see him, and besides everybody was supposed to be dead, and how the hell did Shep get to the beam, IIRC she was still far from from it, she colses her eyes, opens them and BAM! i'm in the beam...

WanderingWind

By them saying 'we can't get into specifics right now' it sounds like they have something planned, and are just trying to calm the outlash right now. Of course that could just be me being hopeful, but really there's no way they are that stupid to just let things sit as they are.

But then, if they DO/DID have something planned, would they actually release the game with a ridiculous ending and purposely plan to demand more money for an explanation/resolution in a sense trolling the entire ME fanbase? If that ends up being the case, this'll be the first incident of a developer going too far with DLC imo...unless of course it's free. :)

I think if they release an epilogue, and it's free, I'll never talk shit about them again.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I'm also happy that in the Geth/Quarian resolution the [Warn the Fleet] Intimidate option did exactly what I hoped it did. "Listen here you idiots, in 30 seconds the Geth will power up and kill you all. I saved your hide twice already, but if you're dumb enough to open fire on the geth after I warned you, I'm NOT helping you out of that mess." Not in those words, of course, but the quarians really needed that. And yes, this also leads to peace. It's nice to finally get to call out the quarians on it, too.

The best part of that was ending it with "Keelah sa'lai"

Tritroid

Yeah, it's stupid either way. The last 1% of a trilogy suddenly introduces a new character to end things is bad writing in any type of media.

Where did he come from? Why is he so important? Why does he get to decide everything? Do you see how questions like these are not only stupid because they're inconsistent to the Mass Effect universe but instead of actually closing loose ends they create even more?

Because it's not real. Why in the hell would a reaper AI (or I guess THE reaper AI) look identical to a boy that Shepard tried to help on Earth? The only real explanation for his sudden appearance is that experiences were pulled directly from Shepard's mind, or potentially that the scene is IN Shepard's mind. The whole ending sequence from the point Shepard and company charge the Citadel portal onward is in such a dream-like state that it's almost completely obvious.

:)

K' Dash

Because it's not real. Why in the hell would a reaper AI (or I guess THE reaper AI) look identical to a boy that Shepard tried to help on Earth? The only real explanation for his sudden appearance is that experiences were pulled directly from Shepard's mind, or potentially that the scene is IN Shepard's mind. The whole ending sequence from the point Shepard and company charge the Citadel portal onward is in such a dream-like state that it's almost completely obvious.

:)

Exactly, now, I want to know what REALLY happened.

Zeliard

Where did the Reapers come from? Why are the Reapers so important? Why do the Reapers get to decide everything?

The A.I. at the end is the answer to the Reaper question. To ask further questions is to dovetail into an infinite regress. You can keep asking "and who created THAT?" ad nauseum.

The biggest problem with the Catalyst isn't that he's a godlike A.I. - it's the silly and all-too-pat dialogue you have with him at the end. You don't get to ask any real pertinent questions outside of stuff the Reapers had already told you, and you don't get to point out the hilarious way in which the Catalyst's own existence contradicts his entire reasoning for the Reapers and the cycle.

Salih

The google document posted a few pages back explains the theory in a way it's almost undeniable that Shep was indoctrinated.

Funny that Shep was wounded in the same place that she shot Anderson, and he said to be in a similar place as Shep but there was only one passage to get to the panel, etc...

very good, brother. just let them live in their ignorance and let us believers thrive!
Oh Bioware, we devotees are just counting the days till you show us 'The Truth' and punish the infidels. Take our bodies, souls and...our money of course.

Tritroid

Funny that Shep was wounded in the same place that she shot Anderson, and he said to be in a similar place as Shep but there was only one passage to get to the panel, we never see him, and besides everybody was supposed to be dead, and how the hell did Shep get to the beam, IIRC she was still far from from it, she colses her eyes, opens them and BAM! i'm in the beam...

For some reason the gunshot wound didn't stand out to me at first, I'd just assumed that was whatever wounds he received from being hit in the face with a reaper beam getting worse. Looking back now though, yep it's very obvious it's a gunshot.

The one thing that stood out to me the most was the point when the Illusive Man says "Look what THEY can do!" and forces Shepard to shoot Anderson. Like the video I posted points out, we're shown over and over that there's no control chip in Shepard, once via Miranda, and another via the Illusive Man himself. The only possible way for the Illusive Man to FORCE Shepard to shoot Anderson would be if he were under Reaper control, aka Indoctrinated, and by him saying 'THEY' he's infering exactly that.

inky

Once again, I really think they shouldn't change anything, but... I'm kind of half-wishing that by changing the ending the fuck it up even more. That they do something incredibly stupid, like trying to patch the plot holes of the current ending leaving even more plot holes, or that they only make 3 canned cinematics that play after your color of choice (like showing Wrex looking at the sky turn red/blue/green from Earth, or only a voice over that explains things over each ending) and that still those factor none of your choices in. I'm in the Jeff Gertsmann camp of they'd have to do insane things to basically alter the ending as it is now the way fans expect to.

I mean, at this point I'm sure that whatever they do will piss someone off, either the people that are fine with it, or the rest who will leave just as dissatisfied with a new ending. We'd be in Spoiler OT 3 by then :p

Bowdz

Poor Bioware

Lol, they will not be able to live this down unless they change the ending. The Facebook/Twitter feeds will forever be tainted.

Top Bottom