• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

At this stage they would be incredibly stupid not to do the indoctrination thing. Now I don't think for a second this is what they actually meant to do, but there is so much solid evidence pointing to it that they could be like "yup that was our idea all along, see how deep and creative we are!"

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I can't believe a GAF community has been created not by Mass Effect, but by Mass Effect's ending. If the ending were satisfying, I'm sure I would've come in the thread, said my dues, maybe read some good analyses of the ending, then leave and continue on.

But this...this is something unexpected. It's great.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
At this stage they would be incredibly stupid not to do the indoctrination thing. Now I don't think for a second this is what they actually meant to do, but there is so much solid evidence pointing to it that they could be like "yup that was our idea all along, see how deep and creative we are!"
There's no evidence, only speculation. You guys are nuts.

Why did indoctrination all of a sudden resurge? I thought it was on its way out.

I can't believe a GAF community has been created not by Mass Effect, but by Mass Effect's ending. If the ending were satisfying, I'm sure I would've come in the thread, said my dues, maybe read some good analyses of the ending, then leave and continue on.

It also created Indoctrination-Age. . . .

jackdoe

Honestly, the ending is full of so many holes that any theory involving hallucinations can work as that is one of the only ways to explain away the inconsistencies.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
PC, origin same tag as here.

That was cool indeed.

I'm not PC. I started out on 360 and by the time 2 came around I was sick of 1 so I just stuck with 360 for save continuity. Maybe down the line I'll pick up the PC version for MP. I havent tried it out yet. Sucks cause I pretty much only play MP games on PC.

Why did indoctrination all of a sudden resurge? I thought it was on its way out.

Let's call it - lots of things to support the idea if they decide to go in that direction. Really it's one of the better ideas unless they retcon the entire ending or go nope its all been a dream since insert earlier time here.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Honestly, the ending is full of so many holes that any theory involving hallucinations can work as that is one of the only ways to explain away the inconsistencies.

Mass Effect is full of inconsistancies though. Especially since 2.

I wanted a cooler ending, presentation wise, for the Synthesis option.

Also, apparently if you take Javik on both Tuchanka and Rannoch and have him along for both Reaper kills, he'll actually compliment Shepard and humanity as a whole on being so cunning warriors. Drunk Tali may have it right. He DOES like us.

She was right. He almost sheepishly offers a handshake to Shep in the end, no doubt remembering how he walked off on your similar offer in the beginning.

Arjen

When i first played that segment i felt something was off, i fuly believe the Indoctrination is true. To much evidence to ignore.

derFeef

Javik: "During my cycle, games offered a satisfying ending. Unsatisfying endings were punishable by death in the empire."

McNei1y

I wonder if Bioware ever did come out and discuss their ending if they would piggy back on the fans Indoctrination theory or if they actually explain what they were doing.

Do you think Bioware even cares about what we thought about the ending? I mean they still haven't responded to the face import bug for the first game. I really feel like they're just going to stick by whatever they created, and even though I dislike the ending, I personally wouldn't want to change it now. We have ending, and it sucks, and no matter what they do, it will always be the ending that I associate with this game, and this franchise.

Anyway, I really do hope that they learned that lesson that they do not have to do anything fancy or cutesy at the end of a long series. There is nothing wrong with having a franchise have a normal and traditional ending.

Tritroid

Ok...if there's no evidence, then why does Shepard have a gunshot wound in the exact spot he shot Anderson?

Why is the Illusive Man able to force Shepard to shoot Anderson with no control chip?

Why is the Reaper AI a child from Shepard's, and ONLY Shepard's, experiences?

The Rachni Queen references 'oily shadows' and voices of fear, exactly what Shepard sees in his dreams of the boy.

Why is Shepard's body suddenly back on Earth at the end of the red option when he takes a breath, and not the Citadel?

All of these stand out as OBVIOUS signs to indoctrination, let alone the other inclusions of hints and suggestions, like the codex having an entire description of the indoctrination process, in complete detail.

There's also smaller hints, such as Anderson getting to the arm control panel first, Shepard's gun having infinite ammo, the same bushes/trees present in Shepard's dreams appearing around the Citadel portal after he wakes up, and on and on and on...

These aren't accidental plot holes, these are obvious, planted, signs pointing to a more detailed ending/resolution that actually makes sense.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Do you think Bioware even cares about what we thought about the ending? I mean they still haven't responded to the face import bug for the first game. I really feel like they're just going to stick by whatever they created, and even though I dislike the ending, I personally wouldn't want to change it now. We have ending, and it sucks, and no matter what they do, it will always be the ending that I associate with this game, and this franchise.

Anyway, I really do hope that they learned that lesson that they do not have to do anything fancy or cutesy at the end of a long series. There is nothing wrong with having a franchise have a normal and traditional ending.

What was fancy or cutesy about this? It was pretty obvious they put themselves in a corner.

sTeLioSco

Banned

crazy stuff
marauder_shields_1__the_paragon_effect__me3__by_koobismo-d4t2xet.jpg

kw8MV.jpg

W2hfn.jpg

marauder_shields_8__the_beacon_of_hope__me3__by_koobismo-d4ti3nw.jpg

http://koobismo.deviantart.com/gallery/

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Ok...if there's no evidence, then why does Shepard have a gunshot wound in the exact spot he shot Anderson?

Why is the Illusive Man able to force Shepard to shoot Anderson with no control chip?

The Rachni Queen references 'oily shadows' and voices of fear, exactly what Shepard sees in his dreams of the boy.

Why is Shepard's body suddenly back on Earth at the end of the red option when he takes a breath, and not the Citadel?

All of these stand out as OBVIOUS signs to indoctrination, let alone the other inclusions of hints and suggestions, like the codex having an entire description of the indoctrination process, in complete detail.

There's also smaller hints, such as Anderson getting to the arm control panel first, Shepard's gun having infinite ammo, the same bushes/trees present in Shepard's dreams appearing around the Citadel portal after he wakes up, and on and on and on...

These aren't accidental plot holes, these are obvious, planted, signs pointing to a more detailed ending/resolution that actually makes sense.

Mother of god

And the other topic is full of this stuff?

Dany

Banned
I believe the indoc. theory but bioware fucked up in executing it that they can't fix it without calling their fans idiots for not realizing it.

Tookay

Because reality and rationality is depressing and boring apparently.

I love how people point out tiny inconsistencies and the weird tone of the writing as shreds of "evidence" of the Indocrination theory, instead of the fallibility and laziness of designers, especially when there is an even greater amount of "evidence" in Bioware's history, the ME games, and ME3 itself that suggest you should take it at face value.

I believe the indoc. theory but bioware fucked up in executing it that they can't fix it without calling their fans idiots for not realizing it.

So... do you believe that we are idiots then?

Dany

Banned
Knowing how bioware writes stories, the indoctrination theory is so bullshit.

Its not like the pieces people are putting together are that far fetched and it does 'explain' why the destroy option is the only one where shep lives.

But whatever, they fucked up.

Zeliard

I think the indoctrination theory is silly but why do people need Bioware to "confirm" it anyway? If you like it then just make that your own ending and be done with it. It ends ambiguously enough.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You anti-indoctrinators are going to be eating crow when 'The Truth' is actually announced.

;)

Damn I'll be owned when the shitty ending gets replaced with a shitty ending. I wish the game had never had anything to do with Reapers and had just focused on doing crazy Spectre missions all over the galaxy.

Rufus

Mother of god

Nah, mostly "just finished the game. not that bad, dunno what the big d-... wait, what, why?! ...fuck. no. god damnit!". With the odd "so you guys want a happy ending, right? Pff!".

Dany

Banned
I think the indoctrination theory is silly but why do people need Bioware to "confirm" it anyway? If you like it then just make that your own ending and be done with it. It ends ambiguously enough.

Thats the worst part, they can't, not should they acknowledge the ending in any fashion in any DLC they want to make.

There's files on the disc and notes from the writing process and a behind the scenes interview with the writers.

They all indicate that the ending was purposefully designed to be vague, and that what's being presented is "real" in the game.

Tookay

Mother of god

Yeah. I left the first topic at around page 50 for a couple days and it was fine, but when I came back it was hell on earth. Don't know what happened, but it's like the brains of obsessed super-fans collectively snapped and indoctrinated themselves into believing conspiracy theories to insulate themselves from the possibility that a) this is the ending, b) Bioware blew the ending, and c) that the myth of them being good writers finally shattered from this ending.

Carbonox

I'm doing a Renegade run in my Insanity play through and it's really interesting seeing what happens.

I've killed Mordin (which was fucking horrible and tough for me to watch) to prevent the Genophage cure happening, killed Samara's daughter, and let Samara kill herself. Killing Udina was fun though. Prick had it coming.

I also heard Garrus saying some different things during your touching moment together on top of the Citadel. I was in fucking stitches when he said in a Hanar voice: "This one feels like a flower".

Garrus is contender for character of the generation. Fucking love the guy.

Digoman

Mother of god

Oh yes.. it is. It lost a little steam after the "Final Hours" app that made it clear that indoctrination wasn't in the plans, and the ending was just vague to cause the "Speculations From Everyone", but it didn't take long to regain strength.

It's just people filling the holes with what they want. I wish I could "believe", but if we are going with dream theory than it would probably be simpler with Sheppard just waking up just before the elevator ride and saying "Man, what a crazy-ass dream. Now to watch the Reapers blow up and quietly die beside Anderson".

Tritroid

Damn I'll be owned when the shitty ending gets replaced with a shitty ending. I wish the game had never had anything to do with Reapers and had just focused on doing crazy Spectre missions all over the galaxy.

That's the thing though, if the ending actually is revealed to be the result of indoctrination, it provides a more plausible possibility for a better wrap-up to a series we've all been playing for years now. I wouldn't consider that shitty at all, and I'd take it over what we have now.

Of course, if it really was bioware's intention for the ME franchise to end on a note that's entirely left up to interpretation (one that's obviously in favor of indoctrination), then that's kinda crappy, but unfortunately more than likely the truth.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So bet on what the next ME game will be about? Will we save the galaxy again cause bigger is bestest?

Also I'm kinda surprised they let pretty much all the endings completely alter the universe in pretty detrimental ways like blowing up the mass relays or killing all synthetics. Gonna be pretty interesting to see the retcon.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Its not like the pieces people are putting together are that far fetched and it does 'explain' why the destroy option is the only one where shep lives.

But whatever, they fucked up.
Shepard is Legend, s/he can survive anything. Doesn't mean indoctrination is true. The old guy at the end could have just said, "And then Shepard took a gasping breath! The end."

rozay

Banned

because mac walters

Tookay

The press wouldn't know what made good writing in a RPG if you forced them to play nothing but Planescape. I don't think most of them are even gamers anymore.

Agreed. They're just an extension of the PR machine at this point.

That's the thing though, if the ending actually is revealed to be the result of indoctrination, it provides a more plausible possibility for a better wrap-up to a series we've all been playing for years now. I wouldn't consider that shitty at all, and I'd take it over what we have now.

Of course, if it really was bioware's intention for the ME franchise to end on a note that's entirely left up to interpretation (one that's obviously in favor of indoctrination), then that's kinda crappy, but unfortunately more than likely the truth.

obvious
1. easily seen, recognized, or understood; open to view or knowledge; evident: an obvious advantage.
2. lacking in subtlety.

There's nothing obvious about the indoctrination theory. You have to be reading so far between the lines it goes in the complete opposite direction of obviousness.

Bowdz

I love that James and Jacob get the worst endings.

Poor Garrus. A bro up to the very end. Of course any other explanation would be dry and suck the humor out of the video.

I'm curious how many people shot the bottle in the competition with Garrus. It seems like most people purposely missed it which is impressive. There are not many characters that have as much universal love as Garrus.

Top Bottom