• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

- J - D -

Unfortunately, I have a feeling they are going to embrace the indoctrination ending. The end of the 90+ hour trilogy will be an unconcious protagonist and no closure and it will make fans happy because it undoes the damage of the actual ending.

I can't wait for fans to bitch about it!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I hate the indoctrination ending purely because it lets Bioware pretend that all that stupidity and nonsense was done on purpose.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The folks over at BioWare had this to say about ME3's sales trajectories.

https://niceskybox.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/duhlines.gif

Fitting.
ibd0JpiLbuxiT8.jpg

He was.

At some point, he was part of the main storyline. But, due to time constraints:)lol) they had to cut him out of the game and rework the plot. Which sucks since he is one of the best character of all 3 games.

And he was originally the catalyst. At least he was at the time of the leaked script.

TheYanger

I hate the indoctrination ending purely because it lets Bioware pretend that all that stupidity and nonsense was done on purpose.

Exactly why it's such a flawed argument. I find it offensive that anyone thinks they ACTUALLY did that on purpose, giving them an easy out (a bad one at that) just annoys me.

Exactly why it's such a flawed argument. I find it offensive that anyone thinks they ACTUALLY did that on purpose, giving them an easy out (a bad one at that) just annoys me.

I never believed it was true, going back to when I first found out about the theory in this thread. I just like that it makes the bad go away.

An easy out is good for Bioware, that way they don't have to pretend they have artistic integrity.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

They only see what they want to see. People infected with TITS have gone farther down the rabbit hole then Alice.

His avatar is from Bleach...... That wasn't hintful enough?

What happens if Bleach has a shitty ending after years(?, I assume, anime/manga go on forever, and I think that Bleach is only slightly less offensive in that regard than Naruto. Fuck you Kentaro Miura, end Berserk within the next decade, please) of investing in it. Whelp, gotta stick to those guns at some point, and I guess it makes sense to stick to them on a shitty ending!

Lich_King

What happens if Bleach has a shitty ending after years(?, I assume, anime/manga go on forever, and I think that Bleach is only slightly less offensive in that regard than Naruto. Fuck you Kentaro Miura, end Berserk within the next decade, please) of investing in it. Whelp, gotta stick to those guns at some point, and I guess it makes sense to stick to them on a shitty ending!

Bleach actually ended, at least anime, but i don't know anything about it and judging from lack of outcry it was either good or fans committed mass suicide.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

The problem with the Indoc. theory is that it's inarguable.

You can't force someone to say "bioware didn't play for this" until Bioware says flat out that the Indoc. theory is wrong, which they probably won't until they announce their plans at April.

Indoc. theory can explain "any" falsehood or inaccuracy in the story. It's all-encompassing.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

They don't give readers choice =3. So, they'll be fine.

Replicant

Bleach has shitty endings after shitty endings piling up one on top of another. I assume at this point its fans are already get used to being reamed with shitty endings.

Thinking about all the good times I had from the first game to the third, it seems almost unreal that it ended that way.
I wish they would have just gone balls out with a bunch of cutscenes that vary depending on all your choices.

fin

So if Bioware never planned the indoc ending, what's the explanation for all the scenes with the kid in the forest? Are they just dreams? Why make a save point right when the supposed indoc take over? There isn't a save state that can be used for DLC after the indoc. Any choices made after the last save, ironically, have no meaning.

I'd say Bioware planned it, leaving us to speculate about it. Honestly, there would be complaints with anything they did.

How cool would've it been if after the scene with the old dude and kid it loaded the last save again and you had to play it over doing all three choices? Forcing you to choose a different one each time. Then after the last choice, watching the 'different' ending a third time you realize you're indoctrinated. Kinda like a Bioshock moment with the
brainwashing
. Or like an insanity effect kinda like Eternal Darkness...Then something something something happens.

ultron87

Just beat it. That's what all the hubbub was about? It was bad, but it wasn't that bad.

Now I will enjoy browsing this thread and the previous one to understand why I should hate it.

Just beat it. That's what all the hubbub was about? It was bad, but it wasn't that bad.

Now I will enjoy browsing this thread and the previous one to understand why I should hate it.

Recent and best summary of problems: http://doycetesterman.com/index.php/2012/03/mass-effect-tolkein-and-your-bullshit-artistic-process/

Others will post other good links. Some in the OP.
One of the good early ones was Five reasons fans were right about the ending or something like that from Gamefront. Some other posts in the OP.

But if you are cool with it, you are cool with it. No problem there. Most of us just think it is objectively very poor.

Way too much to read 30,000 posts, and the links can get you caught up on what we are generally thinking. The above is the general consensus, rather than the - "ending wasn't happy enough" that many shitty sites are portraying as the problem.

Divvy

Thinking about all the good times I had from the first game to the third, it seems almost unreal that it ended that way.
I wish they would have just gone balls out with a bunch of cutscenes that vary depending on all your choices.

You know. I remember watching all those super high quality cg trailers they released and thinking "I wonder what they had to cut in order to spend so much time and money on these."

Don't read this thread man. Just go back to the last save so you can experience one of the other ending options.

You know. I remember watching all those super high quality cg trailers they released and thinking "I wonder what they had to cut in order to spend so much time and money on these."

Not much. There was a yellow ending.

Which was also the same, except it also cured the genophage, but only if you had already cured it.

Bowdz

So if Bioware never planned the indoc ending, what's the explanation for all the scenes with the kid in the forest? Are they just dreams? Why make a save point right when the supposed indoc take over? There isn't a save state that can be used for DLC after the indoc. Any choices made after the last save, ironically, have no meaning.

I'd say Bioware planned it, leaving us to speculate about it. Honestly, there would be complaints with anything they did.

How cool would've it been if after the scene with the old dude and kid it loaded the last save again and you had to play it over doing all three choices? Forcing you to choose a different one each time. Then after the last choice, watching the 'different' ending a third time you realize you're indoctrinated. Kinda like a Bioshock moment with the
brainwashing
. Or like an insanity effect kinda like Eternal Darkness...Then something something something happens.

I don't have a link, but I remember Walters talking about using the child as a device to evoke emotions from the player. The dreams, as far as I know, are simply there to show Shepard reeling from the loss of life on Earth. Shepard is forced to feel remorse for the child that is lost and it haunts him/her throughout the rest of the game.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
It's Shep's biological clock / ticking time bomb.

Dysun

With the way the manga went after Soul Society arc ended who really cares anymore. It's garbage

Divvy

brainwashing

You are reading way too much into it. Those scenes are there to elicit emotions from the player over the loss of that kid who represents humanity on earth. It's pretty shitty because I don't think anyone gave two shits about that kid that we see for all over one minute. It's one of the lazier forms of illustrating why a character is evil that people tend to do and that is to show the bad guys hurting something innocent. There's a whole trope called "kick the dog" devoted to this:

er6pV.jpg

Anyways, I think the existence of Jessica Chobot in the game nullifies any notion that Bioware had any artistic integrity in its vision.

No_Style

Just finished Mass Effect 3. I don't get the hate the ending(s) received. I chose to wipe out synthetics.

Fallout 3's ending was far worse.

Top Bottom