• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

ultron87

*has done more reading on various reactions to ending*

One perspective I've seen that I really agree with is that you should treat all of Mass Effect 3 as the ending of the series instead of just those last 10 minutes and that that is where your choices actually affect things (even though it all goes to the same place in the end, which obviously sucks).

Of course it would be nice if more of those choices had changed things instead of:

Shepard: But I killed the Rachni.
Reapers: We made a new one! Muahahahahahahaha.

And on the subject of Rachni, I wish Ravager were as easy to kill as they are in cutscenes.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

One perspective I've seen that I really agree with is that you should treat all of Mass Effect 3 as the ending of the series instead of just those last 10 minutes and that that is where your choices actually affect things (even though it all goes to the same place in the end, which obviously sucks).
Although the end of the trilogy is the end of the series, I don't think the end of the end of the trilogy could be excused simply because the whole is the end of the end. You see?

I'm still neutral on the endings, but they're completely ridiculous. What? I don't even -- SPACE MAGIC.

My brain is saddened by thoughts of the flaws.

icg1CI.gif

(That's exactly how I have felt.)

You and Casey Hudson would get along.

I disagree. Mass Effect 3 should stand on its own as a game with an ending. Its ending however, is also the ending to the trilogy. It fails on both accounts.

And my original thoughst on the subject after Casey Hudsons PR statement:

And, ah, that is where the endings were. They were scattered throughout the game, rather than at the end of it. I don't really consider those endings, but I guess we might have gotten sixteen endings that way. Unfortunately, because of the above, they are now essentially meaningless, since you know, galactic civilization doesn't exist anymore.

hateradio

Space magic is an energy field created by all living things, it surrounds us, it penetrates us, it binds the galaxy together.
It wouldn't be Mass Effect without some of that, now would it.

Wait! Space magic is based on the amount of sex Shep has had. It all makes sense now. :eek:

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
A form that you cannot comprehend.

BBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

You edited your post. :p

That is fatalism, not nihilism.

Fatalism is the philosophy that all our actions will lead to a predetermined point and that you have no control over that inevitability. This is basically what you suggested here:

All of Shepard's actions are for naught; no matter what he does everyone is destined to die.

Nihilism is the philosophy that life itself has no intrinsic value. If anything those scenes are the opposite of nihilistic because they repeatedly hammer us over the head with how important that stupid kid is.

Maybe you're just trolling, idk. It's late.

rdrr gnr

You edited your post. :p

That is fatalism, not nihilism.

Fatalism is the philosophy that all our actions will lead to a predetermined point and that you have no control over that inevitability. This is basically what you suggested here:

Nihilism is the philosophy that life itself has no intrinsic value. If anything those scenes are the opposite of nihilistic because they repeatedly hammer us over the head with how important that stupid kid is.

Maybe you're just trolling, idk. It's late.
You don't understand Bioware's high-level thinking. Move on, pleb.

Replicant

The following have just been confirmed to be hosting the Mass Effect panel at PAX East 2012:

Chris Priestly (community coordinator)
Mike Gamble (producer)
Corey Gaspur (combat designer)
Patrick Weekes (writer)
John Dombrow (writer)
Reid Buckmaster (quality assurance)

Too chicken to come there as well Mac Walters & Casey Hudson?

rdrr gnr

Let's end this!
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTT

To be fair, I understand the distinction between fatalism and nihilism, but I had referenced Jacobi earlier (just because he popped into mind), so I mentioned nihilism and went from there.
LLShC.gif

Look man, the point of all stories are to make you wonder about mysteries and never explain anything ever. If you do not have unexplained mysteries in your story, then it's not a good story. That is the primary function of storytelling, as I'm sure 2500 years of history right here will readily confirm... W-WHAT THE !! *bow tie spins in shock*

rozay

Banned
The following have just been confirmed to be hosting the Mass Effect panel at PAX East 2012:

Mike Gamble (producer)
Patrick Weekes (writer)
John Dombrow (writer)

Dombrow is responsible for Javik and Garrus. Please don't eat him alive!

Bring tomatoes for Mike Gamble, though.

hateradio

Yeah we really needed that gif posted a 12th time. Thanks.
I've only posted it like twice (maybe thrice). You don't need to be such a bitch, Miranda. Tali was right. ಠ_ಠ

Mike Gamble (producer)
Patrick Weekes (writer)
John Dombrow (writer)

@Reid Buckmaster why didn't you assure the quality!

Mike Gamble (producer)
Patrick Weekes (writer)
John Dombrow (writer)

This is going to be epic. When is this going to happen?

Mike Gamble (producer)
Patrick Weekes (writer)
John Dombrow (writer)

Patrick Weekes is an interesting choice. I wonder if Bioware thinks they throwing him to the wolves for saying the things he did or if its as a way to make gamers think the stuff he posted was fake.

rozay

Banned
Patrick Weekes is an interesting choice. I wonder if Bioware thinks they throwing him to the wolves for saying the things he did or if its as a way to make gamers think the stuff he posted was fake.
I'd bet he was placed in a room and told specifically what to say and what not to say lol

Rapstah

Look man, the point of all stories are to make you wonder about mysteries and never explain anything ever. If you do not have unexplained mysteries in your story, then it's not a good story. That is the primary function of storytelling, as I'm sure 2500 years of history right here will readily confirm... W-WHAT THE !! *bow tie spins in shock*

I can imagine characters from Deadly Premonition acting out this post.

Edit: Weekes is going to be on the panel? Wasn't that the supposed guy who complained about the ending and stated that Walters and that other guy did it themselves?

Sojgat

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why destroy is the only ending where you see shepard survive. You spend a bunch of time building up your readines and war assets all for 5 seconds of footage you only see after one particular ending. Also noticed today that if you don't heve high enough ems to get the "Shepard gasps" clip the battle scene at the end has all the colors inverted so that it looks like infrared. What?????????

rozay

Banned
I'm still trying to wrap my head around why destroy is the only ending where you see shepard survive. You spend a bunch of time building up your readines and war assets all for 5 seconds of footage you only see after one particular ending. Also noticed today that if you don't heve high enough ems to get the "Shepard gasps" clip the battle scene at the end has all the colors inverted so that it looks like infrared. What?????????
he kind of dissolves into nothing in the other 2 endings

hateradio

I think those are just bad video encoding jobs on YouTube. I've played all the videos on my computer, and they only have those three colors. However, if they are real, then BW discovered the tint option before the internet did.

Yeah, but his energy exists in some other form. In destroy he just gets blown up into spacedust.
You mean his essence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99kS02nPoEM&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLvxtQENDZE_E6H5niIACfuA

Sojgat

I think those are just bad video encoding jobs on YouTube.
No this was from an actual playthrough on my xbox this morning. It just struck me as weird, probably just another thing Bioware put in to generate "speculations".

DarkKyo

Do you guys think that the suicide mission would have been better at the end of ME3 instead of ME2?

You mean something like the suicide mission? I guess if you mean lots of squad members given specific orders(with distinct ramifications depending on who you choose), then yeah, would have been awesome. Wish you had more control over the squad on earth at the end.

hateradio

Do you guys think that the suicide mission would have been better at the end of ME3 instead of ME2?
I think a suicide mission system would have been nice in three. I think most people expected EMS to be used in a similar fashion.

No this was from an actual playthrough on my xbox this morning. It just struck me as weird, probably just another thing Bioware put in to generate "speculations".
I see. I guess it really is just that they didn't have enough money to pre-render different colors. :p

Yeah. The Omega 4 relay should've taken them to another galaxy, there Shep and some companions die, but some of them survive and the crew of the crashed Normandy have to start from scratch in a new galaxy.

A CLEAN SLATE

Yeah. The Omega 4 relay should've taken them to another galaxy, there Shep and some companions die, but some of them survive and the crew of the crashed Normandy have to start from scratch in a new galaxy.

A CLEAN SLATE

Wait, didn't the Omega 4 relay only connect to wherever the Collector's were?
So it wouldn't need to be connnected to space magic, and wouldn't blow up in any Skittles flavored explosion.

Base new Mass Relays on Omega 4 relay. DLC Aria takes back Omega. Aria rebuilds mass relays, becomes Queen of Galaxy. Problem solved.

Mass Shift forthcoming with Murmer, the pet Reaper, and all!

DarkKyo

Can anyone answer this? I think I asked something like this last week but nobody had an answer.

Do the reapers/catalyst give a shit about the organic/synthetic chaos raging in other galaxies? Or are their actions only ever involving the Milky Way? There's no way ultra-synthetics(even stronger/more superior than reapers) from other galaxies wouldn't have risen up and been able to find their way to the reapers and dominate them(maybe not yet, but it's probably inevitable).

Can anyone answer this? I think I asked something like this last week but nobody had an answer.

Do the reapers/catalyst give a shit about the organic/synthetic chaos raging in other galaxies? Or are their actions only ever involving the Milky Way? There's no way ultra-synthetics(even stronger/more superior than reapers) from other galaxies wouldn't have risen up and been able to find their way to the reapers and dominate them.

Never really answered. Maybe they watch all galaxies, and 50,000 years is one patrol. It implies they basically just nap in dark space outside the galaxy, though.

Do the reapers/catalyst give a shit about the organic/synthetic chaos raging in other galaxies? Or are their actions only ever involving the Milky Way? There's no way ultra-synthetics(even stronger/more superior than reapers) from other galaxies wouldn't have risen up and been able to find their way to the reapers and dominate them(maybe not yet, but it's probably inevitable).

Given the rate the universe is expanding, they probably just stick to one galaxy.

I think the ME trilogy would have been better severed with ME3 serving as the second game where you recruit all the races and the third game was completely focused on combating the reapers on different war torn planets like the Thessia mission was. Obviously some things would of had to change, but I think it would have built a stronger narrative.

he lost me when he said he was interested in how many sit ups jacob did. no one cares about jacob.

I thought the same thing. But I think everybody does. Whenever interest is implied in Jacob, a joke writes itself in my head. I believe Kasumi was interested in him, but she never talked to him, so that is probably why.

Top Bottom