• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Tajin

Banned
I wish we could tap into everyone's mind who has played Mass Effect 3 and see how many people actually felt sad emotions from those slow motion forest segments.

Because the only emotion I felt was frustration.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I wish we could tap into everyone's mind who has played Mass Effect 3 and see how many people actually felt emotion from those slow motion forest segments.

• Frustration
  • Anger
  • Annoyance
  • Perturbation
  • Discomfort
  • Pain
  • Rage
  • Laughter

I wish we could tap into everyone's mind who has played Mass Effect 3 and see how many people actually felt sad emotions from those slow motion forest segments.

All I could think was that when you walk into a wall it is the same animation as slow-mo Shepard. And boy, was he slow-motion.

ultron87

I'm just glad that Renegade Shep was ice cold in this game. You got to make the hard choices and had to shoot multiple squadmates to get it done.

I loved it when Wrex showed up at the Citadel just to show that I wouldn't get away with screwing the Krogan over.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
To the extent that I cared to understand, yes. Will it fall apart under immense scrutiny? Probably.
Not probably, certainly.

I was just thinking of the control ending, and how Shepard becomes a Reaper. Honestly, what? Does he just hijack the system of all of them, or just live within Harbinger, or some other nation/Reaper.

Space magic, I hate you so much.

rdrr gnr

Just finished Mass Effect 3. I don't get the hate the ending(s) received. I chose to wipe out synthetics.

Fallout 3's ending was far worse.
The cycle.

I found those sequences to be deeply Jacobian in nature. Brilliant commentary on Bioware's part. Go read the great philosophers and get back to me.

Bowdz

I loved the scenes only because the music was great. I have a save just before the first dream sequence and I will periodically load it up, pause the game, and just let the music play nonstop while I either zone out or stretch.

- J - D -

Question: Can you guys think of ways to improve upon the Shep nightmare sequences without drastically altering their basic structure? The kid has to remain, the slow motion has to remain.

I was thinking that, had Bioware included characters who I let die in my playthrough of ME1, 2, and 3, that'd add some punch to the otherwise bleh sequences. I generally lean toward Paragon in all of my plays, so theoretically, I might have been able to feel something during those scenes.

def sim

I just beat it! The ending in itself is not bad, but it's not for this story. Not with the way it has been going. Such a massive drop off when harbinger and company have been replaced by wizard kid.

ultron87

Question: Can you guys think of ways to improve upon the Shep nightmare sequences without drastically altering their basic structure? The kid has to remain, the slow motion has to remain.

I was thinking that, had Bioware included characters who I let die in my playthrough of ME1, 2, and 3, that'd add some punch to the otherwise bleh sequences. I generally lean toward Paragon in all of my plays, so theoretically, I might have been able to feel something during those scenes.

I'm pretty sure it pipes in whispers of characters that had died. I'm at least fairly certain I heard Eve talking in the last one.

GSR

I'm pretty sure it pipes in whispers of characters that had died. I'm at least fairly certain I heard Eve talking in the last one.

It does, but they're pretty obscured. If I hadn't had subtitles on I wouldn't have been able to make them out.

Bowdz

Apparently, there are voices from the fallen in the dream sequences (the VS, Mordin, Legion) although I don't remember hearing them. I think most people agree that replacing the Starchild with fallen teammates would have been far more meaningful and inline with Shepard's narrative.

ultron87

I appreciated that the memorial board on the Normandy updates throughout the game.

Edit: I never checked if Wrex gets on there after you kill him on the Citadel.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Apparently, there are voices from the fallen in the dream sequences (the VS, Mordin, Legion) although I don't remember hearing them. I think most people agree that replacing the Starchild with fallen teammates would have been far more meaningful and inline with Shepard's narrative.

It depends on which dead squad member it is. Seeing Carth's stupid face in the final scene in Mass Effect would have totally pissed me off. I never even liked the guy.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

This is how I would have done it. Do the Kobayashi Maru. The whole sequence with the child would be changed. In the dream sequences you are back on Earth at the moment where everyone is trying to evacuate. The scenario basically gives you three options to relive that moment to try to save the child. However none of the options will allow the boy to survive, but the player does not know this until near the end of the game when they have exhausted all three options. This leads to Shepard and hence the player understanding that there was nothing they could have done to save the boy no matter what they tried. Thus Shepard accepts that fact, puts it behind her ready for the final battle. I think in my scenario, the dreams would be less about this boy that we don't really care about, and more about the idea of victory, a concept the player understands and is constantly trying to achieve.

EDIT: I know this drastically alters the structure, but the structure was kind of crappy.

Balphon

When I played through the second(?) dream sequence not long after Tuchanka, Mordin and Kaiden's last lines played over and over again, as they were the only two dead squadmates at that point. I noticed since I got lost for a bit and couldn't find the kid for several minutes.

Minion101

Banned

"No. We... I do not know what happened in the war. We only heard discordance. Songs the color of oily shadows."

- J - D -

This is how I would have done it. Do the Kobayashi Maru. The whole sequence with the child would be changed. In the dream sequences you are back on Earth at the moment where everyone is trying to evacuate. The scenario basically gives you three options to relive that moment to try to save the child. However none of the options will allow the boy to survive, but the player does not know this until near the end of the game when they have exhausted all three options. This leads to Shepard and hence the player understanding that there was nothing they could have done to save the boy no matter what they tried. Thus Shepard accepts that fact, puts it behind her ready for the final battle. I think in my scenario, the dreams would be less about this boy that we don't really care about, and more about the idea of victory, a concept the player understands and is constantly trying to achieve.

EDIT: I know this drastically alters the structure, but the structure was kind of crappy.

That is...too good. :(

Bowdz

This is the song from the game. I love the ambiance.

http://minus.com/mbmjySXIYW/

Hell yes! Thanks for the link.

I love popping in this thread seeing new players not getting it when they beat the game.

It's like someone waking up from a botched surgery. At first they are dazed and confused, but still think that everything turned out well. Over time, they learn that the surgeons couldn't have messed up any more if they tried and the confusion turns to bitter anger, slowly consuming every fiber of their being.

AniHawk

yeah there was no way of doing the currrent dream structure justice. it was just trying to do what other games did more successfully because those games did it. i mean geez if you want to keep it mass effect and interactive and dreamlike or whatever, that would have been the time to talk to your dead teammates (at least thane and kaiden/ashley) and offer you support or encouragement.

the conversation thing is a kind of a big thing in mass effect. so ignoring that is sorta dumb.

mrplaid

The little boy is a symbol of the galaxy. You can't save him/it no matter how many cupcakes you bake.

DTKT

10/10

Way better and has some gameplay.

Dany

Banned
That damn kid ruined it, replace him with someone else...hell, kill Anderson in a heroic mini-battle in the beginning and at least the dreams and the inner turmoil shepard has would make sense.

Shepard having bad dreams over the death on virmire would be cheap, its been 2.5 years, shepard has moved on.

All they needed to do was create or use an important character, instead they used starchild.

Hartt951

Seriously. They were pointless. Everyone was dieing, we all know they. Stupid fucking kid was pointless as hell and ruined the game showing up as the mother fucking stupid ass catalyst. (yes, I am angry still)

Omega

Banned
The whole dream is fundamentally flawed because renegade Shepard probably wouldn't dwell on the kid at all.

My Paragon Shepard who is a Colonist wouldn't dwell on him either.

It's insulting to everyone to force this kid on us. He's the sole reason why I latched onto the indoc theory at first because it was the only thing that explained him. Then I read my artbook that came with the CE and saw BioWare actually intended for him to draw emotions from the player.

BioWare should apologize. They screwed up so many things it's not even funny like forcing this stupid kid on us, making vent kid also be space child, it's just so bad. Maybe if the catalyst was something that wasn't a four year old I wouldn't be so disappointed.

They won't though, so that they can keep their artistic integrity. This is the last BioWare product I'm ever buying.

The whole dream is fundamentally flawed because renegade Shepard probably wouldn't dwell on the kid at all.
Z3m2e.gif

No_Style

Just watched the Angry Joe vid. I understand the hate now.

I don't hold any of it myself, but I understand people's frustrations.
I'm not angered because I never put any stock into the main story thread since ME2 when they didn't pick up after the first game. What I take away from this franchise are the character stories and pretty much everything else that's happening in the universe.

I was more disappointed by the fact that I didn't have Krogan on my ship and in squad at all times. No salarian either. Needed more aliens!

I love popping in this thread seeing new players not getting it when they beat the game.

I love guys like you who think we care. The force is midichlorians. So what. I just beat the game, thiught i'd check in, and i see comments like yours. I honestly don't know what "getting it" means, though judging by yours and others comments on this page i'm not even going to go back in the thread to get in on the conversation. As interested as i am i rather like to avoid folks like you.

The game was fun. Great gameplay and i had no beef with the story. Laters.

Dany

Banned
I love guys like you who think we care. The force is midichlorians. So what. I just beat the game, thiught i'd check in, and i see comments like yours. I honestly don't know what "getting it" means, though judging by yours and others comments on this page i'm not even going to go back in the thread to get in on the conversation. As interested as i am i rather like to avoid folks like you.

I was being slightly facetious, the game is great so was the story butI disliked starchild, what he said, the endings presented and the epilogue. Beyond those final 5 minutes, the game was fucking fantastic.

Just try to check in a week from now and say if you feel the same. It's just really common for feeling to change over time about ME3's ending.

Okay. No need to get butthurt about it. All he was pointing out was that there is a cycle, many people are okay with the ending, and then think about it and grow to understand the problems with it.

If you like it, great. I'm glad you got something out of it.

If you want to understand why we have problems with it, we have provided multiple links and explanations, in addition to 25,000 posts on the subject.

Apparently you weren't that interested in the conversation.

Laters.

Top Bottom