• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Rapstah

Can anyone answer this? I think I asked something like this last week but nobody had an answer.

Do the reapers/catalyst give a shit about the organic/synthetic chaos raging in other galaxies? Or are their actions only ever involving the Milky Way? There's no way ultra-synthetics(even stronger/more superior than reapers) from other galaxies wouldn't have risen up and been able to find their way to the reapers and dominate them(maybe not yet, but it's probably inevitable).

The nearest interesting galaxy, Andromeda, is two and a half million light years away. That is ridiculously far.

Zeal

Banned
The reason most works of science fiction deal only with one galaxy is because, well, adding multiple galaxies to the mix and the thousands of species and systems...well, it just gets unfathomably complex even to a work of fiction. The Milky Way with all of its thousands of systems alone is enough to boggle the mind.

That being said, and going back on topic, has Bioware said anything new and juicy about future DLC or ending revisions yet? Don't wanna miss nothin' in this exciting ongoing war/internet clusterfuck.

Replicant

You mean his essence.

So is the essence of Shepard's musk = the smell of Tali's sweat ^ 2?

I thought the same thing. But I think everybody does. Whenever interest is implied in Jacob, a joke writes itself in my head. I believe Kasumi was interested in him, but she never talked to him, so that is probably why.

One of those writers ruined Kasumi by that one line of dialogue. I was like "Whyyyy Kasumi? I thought you're cool."

rdrr gnr

The reason most works of science fiction deal only with one galaxy is because, well, adding multiple galaxies to the mix and the thousands of species and systems...well, it just gets unfathomably complex even to a work of fiction. The Milky Way with all of its thousands of systems alone is enough to boggle the mind.

That being said, and going back on topic, has Bioware said anything new and juicy about future DLC or ending revisions yet? Don't wanna miss nothin' in this exciting time.
Most? I'd argue otherwise. Numerous works of sci-fi are not only intragalactic but intergalactic.

Not if they have a Citadel in every Galaxy, ala Mass Effect 1. But then they would have a catalyst in every Galaxy, and nobody wants that.

It's kinda like Santa Claus. There's too many galaxies for the cycle to repeat every 50,000 years. Unless organic life is rare...

There are probably more than 170 billion (1.7 × 1011) galaxies in the observable universe.

Unless they have 170 billion separate strike teams waiting outside each galaxy, I don't see how it could be done.

Space magic

Rapstah

We don't know where the Reapers actually rest and what distance they have to travel.

It's like sixty times the distance of the longest relay jump known in the game. Flying there manually would take, well, two and a half million years, but the Reapers are supposed to have been doing their thing for a billion so that's probably not an issue now that I think of it.

Walshicus

It's like sixty times the distance of the longest relay jump known in the game. Flying there manually would take, well, two and a half million years, but the Reapers are supposed to have been doing their thing for a billion so that's probably not an issue now that I think of it.

Why would non-Relay travel take 2.5m years? FTL is established as being much faster.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I thought the same thing. But I think everybody does. Whenever interest is implied in Jacob, a joke writes itself in my head. I believe Kasumi was interested in him, but she never talked to him, so that is probably why.

She stalked him while invisible.

rdrr gnr

Why would non-Relay travel take 2.5m years? FTL is established as being much faster.
It would take 2.5m years, if the ship traveled at light-speed. Some sci-fi universes get like, within .1% of light speed. It would take much, much longer at any other speed. Something like FTL travel or a wormhole jump (a la Stargate) would solve that issue. This is speaking non-scientifically.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Whoever posted that 39 minute video, it's got some really good points. Yeah, it goes into some asinine side complaints, but at the core, it hits the ending problems on the head in a way I hadn't thought of before (philosophical, not just based on story/plot points)

It would take 2.5m years, if the ship traveled at light-speed. Some sci-fi universes get like, within .1% of light speed. It would take much, much longer at any other speed. Something like FTL travel or a wormhole jump (a la Stargate) would solve that issue. This is speaking non-scientifically.

Even if they could get to each galaxy instantly, there's still 170 billion of them. It took them a couple of centuries to wipe out the protheans right? And the universe is only 14 billion years old...

Rapstah

Even if they could get to each galaxy instantly, there's still 170 billion of them. It took them a couple of centuries to wipe out the protheans right? And the universe is only 14 billion years old...

The amount of Reapers is going to grow exponentially once you get a decent cycle going in most of those galaxies.

senador

Banned
Both.

I have no doubt that this is part of a plan to force him to quit.

Maybe. I would guess no though. If they wanted him out, they wouldn't do it by flying him somewhere to even that would most likely be fun. They'd either fire him, or push him into a corner and forget about him.

I personally feel the stuff about him is being exaggerated. Assuming he did post that stuff it, if he is in good standing at Bioware I'd imagine they had a talk where he explains he was frustrated and slipped but had it removed. They'd tell him don't let happen again, blah blah. If it was a big issue, he'd already be gone.

I feel that EA and especially Bioware are not as evil as everyone likes/loves/hopes to think they are.

Maybe. I would guess no though. If they wanted him out, they wouldn't do it by flying him somewhere to even that would most likely be fun. They'd either fire him, or push him into a corner and forget about him.

I personally feel the stuff about him is being exaggerated. Assuming he did post that stuff it, if he is in good standing at Bioware I'd imagine they had a talk where he explains he was frustrated and slipped but had it removed. They'd tell him don't let happen again, blah blah. If it was a big issue, he'd already be gone.

I feel that EA and especially Bioware are not as evil as everyone likes/loves/hopes to think they are.

One of my parents is currently being forced into a corner, so maybe I'm projecting.

Jarmel

Banned
The following have just been confirmed to be hosting the Mass Effect panel at PAX East 2012:

Chris Priestly (community coordinator)
Mike Gamble (producer)
Corey Gaspur (combat designer)
Patrick Weekes (writer)
John Dombrow (writer)
Reid Buckmaster (quality assurance)

Too chicken to come there as well Mac Walters & Casey Hudson?

They definitely chose their better writers. Someone needs to record the panel live.

senador

Banned
One of my parents is currently being forced into a corner, so maybe I'm projecting.

:(

-----

I finished the Final Hours of Mass Effect 3 tonight. I really liked it. Pretty cool format for gaining insight into development and meeting the team. Good job Geoff. It was cool to see initial ideas of the series and how some had to be dropped while others actually came to be. I actually ended up feel in bummed though afterwards. It seems the game never had enough time for development to begin with. I would have happily waited another 6 months to a year to have the game more fleshed out. The app also made me feel even more WTF about the endings and it is now clear to me that it was intentional for sure and IT is ruled out for me (was a big believer). While I don't expect it, I do wish they'd run with it and add to the ending to somehow be more fulfilling.

Liamario

Banned
So we're not going to see a fourth one any time soon.
But if when we do, is Shepard alive and how are people going to travel without the relays!?

The last scene would suggest that there won't be a fourth one- at least not set in the same galaxy...

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Wait the little boy represents the universe? I thought he was the manifestation of God taking the form of something Shepard would understand
He's just an AI/VI/program that controls/created/is part of the Reapers. I don't see how he's god-like at all.

But if when we do, is Shepard alive and how are people going to travel without the relays!?

The last scene would suggest that there won't be a fourth one- at least not set in the same galaxy...
We'll probably see more ME games, but not with Shep.

senador

Banned

The Final Hours app says "Whatever we do would likely happen before or during the events of Mass Effect 3, not after" in regards to future games. :/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The following have just been confirmed to be hosting the Mass Effect panel at PAX East 2012:

Chris Priestly (community coordinator)
Mike Gamble (producer)
Corey Gaspur (combat designer)
Patrick Weekes (writer)
John Dombrow (writer)
Reid Buckmaster (quality assurance)

Too chicken to come there as well Mac Walters & Casey Hudson?
The people not responsible for the ending answering for the ending. Poor guys.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Can't wait for thier PR non-answers.
I'm sure they'll talk about the content negotiation deal that BW has brokered.

The Final Hours app says "Whatever we do would likely happen before or during the events of Mass Effect 3, not after" in regards to future games. :/
"Let's destroy the universe, since it's not even in our agenda to bother with anything post-ME3."

What a bag of dicks.

My new facebook cover image!

Why didn't I think of that?!

KbOL8.jpg

On edit: This is a must watch, really goes into how the ending is broken

Mass Effect 3 Ending: Tasteful, Understated Nerdrage (SPOILERS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs

warning, it's 39 minutes

Very well done video, documenting just how badly the ending fails from a writing perspective in numerous ways.

I would tell the 'journalists' to watch that and learn how to properly analyse media, but that would involve too much effort I'm sure. There are articles to shit out, and bags of money to collect after all.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was with him till he said they should change the ending. I'm not for that at all if bioware doesn't want too. People should vote with their wallet instead.

His narrative coherence point is a really strong one. The ending as-is really needs completely changed to make any sense whatsoever.

Synless

What I didnt understand about the ending was this. I had both Garrus and Liara on my team, we all went to the relay together and presumably all should have been running with me and died like everyone else. Why then, did I see Liara and Garrus get off the Normandy at the end of the game intact and healthy? Did my team just say fuck this, we're ducking out?

Arjen

What I didnt understand about the ending was this. I had both Garrus and Liara on my team, we all went to the relay together and presumably all should have been running with me and died like everyone else. Why then, did I see Liara get off the Normandy at the end of the game intact and healthy? Did my team just say fuck this, we're ducking out?

Pick your answer

- Indoctrination
- Space magic
- lolBioware

Top Bottom