• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Synless

Pick your answer

- Indoctrination
- Space magic
- lolBioware

Such an oversight. I doubt, even if Shepard told them to back off the mission that they would have as close as they were with everything at stake. The more I think about it, the more everyone here is right. The ending sucked. What a horrible way to ruin what was a otherwise great series.

I was thinking "everyone's overreacting, the end isn't too bad so far" up until the final 5 minutes of the game. But then BAM, it completely goes off the deep end into irresponsibly shitty and nonsensical territory.

The icing on the cake for me, that made me really sad about how bad it was, was bringing Tali and Garrus to the final fight, and seeing them BOTH step out of the normandy in that cutscene at the end. Tali was my character's love interest in the entire trilogy! Now what, she's gonna have a threesome with Joker and Garrus in the jungle, after she warped there using witchcraft and cowardice, and suddenly doesn't care about my Shepard any more? It just shows the devs didn't even give an ounce of shit regarding the ending.

That along with the 100-mile long list of other reasons.

Coxswain

If bioware intended it to make sense. People get loud over ambiguous endings.

There's a difference between ambiguous and nonsensical. The ending was actually pretty straightforward! It just doesn't make any fucking sense.

Edit: And when I say it doesn't make any fucking sense, I'm referring not only to the actual, logical inconsistencies inside of the game world itself, and whether the ending is actually plausible within the confines of the universe's internal consistency, but also to the part where it runs completely counter to nearly every running theme and conceptual/'philosophical' point the trilogy has made up until that point. Fixing the logic errors alone (that is to say, 'clarifying') doesn't make the ending any better if it doesn't also address the problems with the latter.

Sojgat

Good video. Hits most of the stuff spot on.

However, Mr. Archengeia is still #1 on the topic of ME3 Endings.

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUqAhKW7498

and the subsequent videos. 100% agree as a fan of the game from day 1.

Also a great video. Did bioware abandon the original ending because of the xbox live leak? That would just be a tragedy, and explain why the ending feels so rushed, hell according to the art book it looks like the whole "corridor of death" on the citadel was recycled from the unused Illusive man as a reaper fight that they scrapped.

Also a great video. Did bioware abandon the original ending because of the xbox live leak? That would just be a tragedy, and explain why the ending feels so rushed, hell according to the art book it looks like the whole "corridor of death" on the citadel was recycled from the unused Illusive man as a reaper fight that they scrapped.

Is that script still online somewhere?
I can never find it.

Coxswain

From what I remember, the endings outlined in the leak were basically the same endings that were in the final game, only the descriptions were short and vague enough that they didn't sound quite so terrible. Like, "The Reapers are destroyed, Earth is too, Shepard dies."/"The Reapers are destroyed, Earth is okay, Shepard dies."/"The Reapers are destroyed, Earth is okay, Shepard lives." or something like that.

JonnyBrad

From what I remember, the endings outlined in the leak were basically the same endings that were in the final game, only the descriptions were short and vague enough that they didn't sound quite so terrible. Like, "The Reapers are destroyed, Earth is too, Shepard dies."/"The Reapers are destroyed, Earth is okay, Shepard dies."/"The Reapers are destroyed, Earth is okay, Shepard lives." or something like that.

Pretty much like that yep. They didn't change much at all. I don't think it mentioned the whole stupid "the Mass Relays explode whatever you do" bit however.

well, this is really hard to pinpoint.
The Dark Energy plot was, at least in the beginning, the "idea of an end", but as Drew Karpyshyn himself said:

Of course, some of you are also pinging me to find out what the “original” ending of the series was when we started planning out the trilogy. Sorry, but that’s not something I’m even going to attempt to answer. The collaborative creative process is incredibly complicated, and the story and ideas are constantly evolving as you go forward. Yes, we had a plan, but it was very vague. We knew we wanted to focus on some key themes and bring in certain key elements: organics vs synthetics; the Reapers; the Mass Relays. Beyond that, we didn’t go into detail because we knew it would change radically as the game continued to evolve.

So I don’t like to say “here’s what we originally were thinking” because it gives a false and very distorted impression of the process. Mass Effect was the creation of a huge team, with contributions coming in from many people at many stages of the project. Some things I liked ended up getting cut, some stuff I wasn’t sure of worked its way in. That’s the nature of the beast with collaborative works, and I think in the end it makes the final product stronger. But talking about the changes after the fact feels like I’m sitting on my throne and proclaiming, “That’s not what I would have done!” It’s easy to sit on the sidelines and say “I would do this or that”, but it’s very different when you’re part of the process, working with multiple ideas, trying to piece it all together and still hit your deadlines.

but in Geoff Keighley's "The Final Hours of Mass Effect 3" you can see that there were lots of writers on staff and that Mac was running the show. I don't think they changed the ending because of the leak, but after reading/watching/listening to that app and countless pages of threads here and on other forums...the game itself, let alone the ending was pretty rushed and not well thought through. Honestly, I don't know...I love this franchise to death (my favorite by far), but I would be lying if I said that the ending didn't at least partially ruin the whole experience.

The icing on the cake for me, that made me really sad about how bad it was, was bringing Tali and Garrus to the final fight, and seeing them BOTH step out of the normandy in that cutscene at the end. Tali was my character's love interest in the entire trilogy! Now what, she's gonna have a threesome with Joker and Garrus in the jungle, after she warped there using witchcraft and cowardice, and suddenly doesn't care about my Shepard any more? It just shows the devs didn't even give an ounce of shit regarding the ending.

Pretty sure Tali and Garrus are going to be busy starving to death (or the rest of the crew are going to be starving to death. Or the life on the planet is toxic to everyone, so everyone will starve to death). So not only are they there for no reason, not only would Joker be court-martialed for cowardice if they were ever found, but you're going to see your favourite characters die a slow and painful death for the most contrived reasons possible.

Then again Walters doesn't seem to care about the lore and universe that's already established, so there'll probably be a last minute retcon like "oh, they can eat the same stuff as everyone else". Or maybe space magic solved it. One can only speculate.

Moaradin

People are putting too much thought into the ending. Mac walters probably never thought about what will happen now that everyone is stuck on the Sol system with no Relays, or what happens to your crew that is stuck on the paradise planet.

All we can do now is hope they retcon the thing.

^ this.

I don't think Mac or other writers were even thinking about half of the stuff we, the fans found out as plot holes. with all due respect to their writing ability...

DJMicLuv

I was thinking "everyone's overreacting, the end isn't too bad so far" up until the final 5 minutes of the game. But then BAM, it completely goes off the deep end into irresponsibly shitty and nonsensical territory.

I was the same way. I'd read people posting stuff like "This ruins the WHOLE trilogy for me!" and thought "Yeh, GAF-hype strikes again."

Then I finished the game and agreed. For once the hyperbole was justified.

I LOVED the Mass Effect games. I enjoyed ME3 a lot even if that was mostly because of the fan-service character based moments (drunk Ashley, Drunk Tali, Joker/EDI's conversations, Mordin's heroism, etc) but now, post ending, I feel like most posters here - sour about the whole experience.

If there's a new DLC ending it's too late now, the moment's gone and there's no way I'll feel the same way about the ME series as I did even 10 minutes before the end. Marauder Shields was right, Shepherd should have just died on the battlefield, it would have spared him/her/me/us a lot of heartache.

Pie Lord

Ok, here is something I haven't understood about a lot of the complaints regarding the ending. Most people are saying that the problem they have with ending has nothing to do with the fact it isn't happy, and more to do with the face it made no sense. That I understand, and I agree that the ending makes no sense. What I don't understand, is that a majority of people also seem to be complaining about how the destruction of the Mass Relays means the destruction of galactic civilization. It seems to me, that saying you don't mind a downer ending but then turning around and complaining that the galactic community is doomed is somewhat contradictory. Am I missing something here?

Derrick01

Banned
People are putting too much thought into the ending. Mac walters probably never thought about what will happen now that everyone is stuck on the Sol system with no Relays, or what happens to your crew that is stuck on the paradise planet.

Yeah seriously people are thinking too much (too much speculating hurr durr). Going from experience here Mac is a terrible main plot writer, if you're assuming anything you're giving him too much credit. That's why all this stupid media talk about the ending being philosophical or thought provoking makes me want to drive a stake through my brain.

I was the same way. I'd read people posting stuff like "This ruins the WHOLE trilogy for me!" and thought "Yeh, GAF-hype strikes again."

Then I finished the game and agreed. For once the hyperbole was justified.

I LOVED the Mass Effect games. I enjoyed ME3 a lot even if that was mostly because of the fan-service character based moments (drunk Ashley, Drunk Tali, Joker/EDI's conversations, Mordin's heroism, etc) but now, post ending, I feel like most posters here - sour about the whole experience.

If there's a new DLC ending it's too late now, the moment's gone and there's no way I'll feel the same way about the ME series as I did even 10 minutes before the end. Marauder Shields was right, Shepherd should have just died on the battlefield, it would have spared him/her/me/us a lot of heartache.

I love posts like this.

DJMicLuv

I think people are putting as much thought into the ending as the writers SHOULD have.

Moaradin

You can actually save Mordin and not cure the Genophage? Shit. Or is that only if Wrex is dead?

You can convince him to make the krogan THINK that the genophage is cured and he won't die. Don't think that's a very good option though. Mordin was happy with his decision for once and that moment was beautiful.

Whoever voiced Mordin in ME3 did a really good job. His dialogue when you tell him not to cure the genophage was really good.

I MADE A MISTAKE!

Arjen

What Archengeia said in that video was spot on.
Apparently the fans care more about this franchise then the people making it.

Ok, here is something I haven't understood about a lot of the complaints regarding the ending. Most people are saying that the problem they have with ending has nothing to do with the fact it isn't happy, and more to do with the face it made no sense. That I understand, and I agree that the ending makes no sense. What I don't understand, is that a majority of people also seem to be complaining about how the destruction of the Mass Relays means the destruction of galactic civilization. It seems to me, that saying you don't mind a downer ending but then turning around and complaining that the galactic community is doomed is somewhat contradictory. Am I missing something here?

WE are okay with downer endings, but the destruction of the relays is not a downer ending, it is a bleak and depressing ending and part of the reason why some people feel that our choices don't matter.

First, the destruction of the relays presents a mechanical problem. In the Arrival DLC, we are shown what happens when a relay is destroyed: they go supernova and destroy an entire system. At the end of ME3, the relays explode in every ending, but we don't know whether or not they go supernova. Some people say they do, others say they don't. It's just small detail that has profound consequences that I feel Bioware should come out and say whether or not they go nova. If we are shown something and then we are later shown the same thing, but something different happens, then it should be explained.

Second, the destruction of the relays leaves everyone stranded where they are. For the fleet on Earth, they are stranded on a war-torn planet that was completely devastated and they have no support whatsoever. And now you have a lot of new species living on the planet. Then you have the turians and the quarians who are stranded there and can't eat the food that would be on Earth. Sure, they could use FTL to travel to another system, but that takes fuel and fuel is in extremely short supply since the Reapers attacked those first. Getting the species back home is going to be nearly impossible.

Now think about this, some of us cured the genophage and now we won't see the results of this. Show us a krogan kid beating the shit out of a pyjak or on another krogan kid. It's what we worked for across three games. With a good chunk of the krogan now on Earth, curing the genophage is now useless. The krogan males that would help repopulate their species have been separated by a vast amount of space. Some of us achieved peace between the geth and the quarians. The entire Migrant Fleet is at Earth to help you succeed, but now can't return back to their homeworld. We can't see Tali building her house on Rannoch. No closure.

Third, critics of the critics seem to think that we only want a happy ending when what we really need is a coherent ending. There are a multitude of criticisms for the ending, but the "gaming press" only seem to focus on the happy ever after scenario. Personally, I think there should be a happy ending, but you have to work hard to get it. I am perfectly fine with a bittersweet ending. Also, observe that people are mostly fine with Mordin's and Thane's deaths.

Also, Shep's death is cheapened to me since we had a fakeout in the first game and that she actually died in the first game. Shep's death in ME3 just felt like another emotional string Walters is trying to pluck like the death of the kid in the intro.

DJMicLuv said:
Because you agree or because you disagree?
Because I agree. I find it fascinating to see people who are incredulous about how the bad the ending is and then seeing them turn.

ultron87

You can convince him to make the krogan THINK that the genophage is cured and he won't die. Don't think that's a very good option though. Mordin was happy with his decision for once and that moment was beautiful.

Whoever voiced Mordin in ME3 did a really good job. His dialogue when you tell him not to cure the genophage was really good.

I MADE A MISTAKE!

Yeah, he did a great job. I felt really bad when I had to shoot him. And the cutscene after that! Emotions!

Unfortunately, all the Krogan except for Wrex are aggressive jerk bags. Maybe if Eve had been around as well I would've given them a shot.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You can actually save Mordin and not cure the Genophage? Shit. Or is that only if Wrex is dead?

You have to kill Wrex in ME1, and destroy Maelon's data in ME2. Wrex is dead, and having insufficient data causes Eve to die. The future of the Krogan is entirely under Wreav's rule. You can explain this to Mordin and he sees how curing the genophage may, in the long run, cause much more harm than good, and makes the logical decision to go along with the Dalatrass' plan.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
WE are okay with downer endings, but the destruction of the relays is not a downer ending, it is a bleak and depressing ending and part of the reason why some people feel that our choices don't matter.

First, the destruction of the relays presents a mechanical problem. In the Arrival DLC, we are shown what happens when a relay is destroyed: they go supernova and destroy an entire system. At the end of ME3, the relays explode in every ending, but we don't know whether or not they go supernova. Some people say they do, others say they don't. It's just small detail that has profound consequences that I feel Bioware should come out and say whether or not they go nova. If we are shown something and then we are later shown the same thing, but something different happens, then it should be explained.

Second, the destruction of the relays leaves everyone stranded where they are. For the fleet on Earth, they are stranded on a war-torn planet that was completely devastated and they have no support whatsoever. And now you have a lot of new species living on the planet. Then you have the turians and the quarians who are stranded there and can't eat the food that would be on Earth. Sure, they could use FTL to travel to another system, but that takes fuel and fuel is in extremely short supply since the Reapers attacked those first. Getting the species back home is going to be nearly impossible.

Now think about this, some of us cured the genophage and now we won't see the results of this. Show us a krogan kid beating the shit out of a pyjak or on another krogan kid. It's what we worked for across three games. With a good chunk of the krogan now on Earth, curing the genophage is now useless. The krogan males that would help repopulate their species have been separated by a vast amount of space. Some of us achieved peace between the geth and the quarians. The entire Migrant Fleet is at Earth to help you succeed, but now can't return back to their homeworld. We can't see Tali building her house on Rannoch. No closure.

Third, critics of the critics seem to think that we only want a happy ending when what we really need is a coherent ending. There are a multitude of criticisms for the ending, but the "gaming press" only seem to focus on the happy ever after scenario. Personally, I think there should be a happy ending, but you have to work hard to get it. I am perfectly fine with a bittersweet ending. Also, observe that people are mostly fine with Mordin's and Thane's deaths.

Also, Shep's death is cheapened to me since we had a fakeout in the first game and that she actually died in the first game. Shep's death in ME3 just felt like another emotional string Walters is trying to pluck like the death of the kid in the intro.

Because I agree. I find it fascinating to see people who are incredulous about how the bad the ending is and then seeing them turn.

:bow

Part of the problem with destruction of the Mass Relays is:

A) It isn't really that well justified, and it's inconsistent with what has already been established in ME2's Arrival.

B) It pretty much destroys what made that universe enjoyable to explore.

C) The implications of it (which Walters and Hudson didn't seem to give any consideration to) was that it almost makes your victory completely pointless. Those cheering soldiers at the end? Yeah, they'll die of starvation. All the people you brought along? They'll probably die of starvation too, or go to war over the few resources that are left.

D) It completely negates most of the decisions you've made throughout the game. Made peace between the Geth and Quarians? Yeah, that doesn't mean shit now. Cured the genophage? Wrex is stuck at Earth.

E) This happens regardless of how you play the game, and it turns the best case scenario (with just a little thought) into practically a defeat. Okay so there's some kid in the future, who cares?

ultron87

How fast are the FTL drives that ships use for non Mass Relay travel? Seems like the Normandy can skip between star systems in pretty short order.

Depending on how fast they are (and whether relativistic affects apply) some semblance of Galactic Civilization could still exist. Of course it might be tough for, say, the Quarians to get back home to the other side of the galaxy.

How fast are the FTL drives that ships use for non Mass Relay travel? Seems like the Normandy can skip between star systems in pretty short order.

Depending on how fast they are (and whether relativistic affects apply) some semblance of Galactic Civilization could still exist. Of course it might be tough for, say, the Quarians to get back home to the other side of the galaxy.

You have to factor in fuel (which is in extremely short supply) and that ships have to discharge static electricity by chilling out in atmospheres or else the electricity turns to heat and cooks everyone inside. So instead of figuring out what Tali's sweat smells like, people would wonder what Tali's cooked flesh smells like.

DTKT

It's stated somewhere that FTL travel takes days/weeks to travel between solar system. Obviously, that's not the case in the SP since it would be really dumb. :p

inky

You have to kill Wrex in ME1, and destroy Maelon's data in ME2. Wrex is dead, and having insufficient data causes Eve to die. The future of the Krogan is entirely under Wreav's rule. You can explain this to Mordin and he sees how curing the genophage may, in the long run, cause much more harm than good, and makes the logical decision to go along with the Dalatrass' plan.

That is actually a very cool and well thought out line of choice-consequence. If only...

Scotch

At first I thought the ending wasn't too bad. I had romanced with Traynor, so her coming out of the ship with Joker at least made some sense (as she stayed on the ship during the attack). And the music during the endscene and credits is fucking amazing. I'm a sucker for great credits music, and I think it took my mind off the stupid shit I was actually seeing during the ending. Now that I have slept on it, and watched some of the Youtube videos, I can see how terrible it really was. Such a shame.

I actually wouldn't mind DLC that would create a completely new ending. Just pretend this never happened. I wanna replay all three games some day, but if it all ends like this, what's the point?

bengraven

You know, I was thinking.

They were likely going to do some "What Comes Next" DLC down the road. But they're basically going to be forced to create it earlier.

And the best part is, the fans are going to be like "they created all this for us" when they probably already had most of it created ahead of time.

Must be so frustrating to work in game development. ha

DarkKyo

Just finished and didn't find the ending horrible. Just goofy like almost EVERY other video game so I wasn't upset like some of you.

Again and again I see new people in this thread saying they finished and the ending wasn't bad. Then the vultures set in to conform you to their beliefs. Get out now while you can!!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Other endings?

Oh sorry, I meant "other endings"

Again and again I see new people in this thread saying they finished and the ending wasn't bad. Then the vultures set in to conform you to their beliefs. Get out now while you can!!

Nah it's not a wish to conform at all. It's just that after I beat the game I felt the exact same thing. "that was weird but it wasn't that bad". Then I watched the "other endings". And here we are.

Pie Lord

In other words, you don't mind a downer ending so long as it isn't to bleak? Can't say I even remotely agree with that, but I can accept it. As I indicated in my original post, I am no fan of the way the ending was handled, but the bleakness doesn't bother me.

Top Bottom