• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Karl2177

Still sounds as silly as the ending we got. "The Reapers' goal was to find a way to stop the spread of Dark Energy..." but doesn't it make up most of the universe as we know it? It's like stopping the universe to save the universe. I don't understand.

IT IS NOT A THING YOU CAN COMPREHEND

TheUsual

Gold Member
Just finished the game. I'm not overreacting when I say that ending pretty much killed the series for me. Was that an ending put together at the 11th hour?

fin

Still sounds as silly as the ending we got. "The Reapers' goal was to find a way to stop the spread of Dark Energy..." but doesn't it make up most of the universe as we know it? It's like stopping the universe to save the universe. I don't understand.

I thought dark energy was kind of like a by-product of using mass effect fields. Kinda like pollution. So wipe out the races using dark energy, harvest them to make a hive mind (the human reaper) that can come up with a way to stop the dark energy. Like curing global warming or something.

I thought dark energy was kind of like a by-product of using mass effect fields. Kinda like pollution. So wipe out the races using dark energy, harvest them to make a hive mind (the human reaper) that can come up with a way to stop the dark energy. Like curing global warming or something.

Well that's fine, but we live in a universe that's mostly dark energy anyway, and you can't create more of it (energy distribution and all that). Seems like it would take a lot of suspending disbelief on something we hardly understand in the first place.

Man, this reminded me, as if I needed any reminder, why I love ME.
Yup. It showcases why the characters and universe are so entertaining, even aside from game mechanics.

If only this universe had continued to be refined in the RPG area instead of toward the action/shooter area.

Any pseudo-scientific explanation like that would be fine, even if it's scientifically nonsense.

And it would give a number of reasonable paths into further Mass Effect games. If you kill the Reapers after all and are faced with a short amount of time during which to solve the next threat (the dark energy thing), then that's plenty of material for another trilogy. If you choose to not kill them, then maybe you die or become monstrous but in charge of them. This could be the non-canonical ending.

Really, it's hard to come up with a clean, beautiful, logical ending given the baggage from the dialog in the 3 games, but it should not be hard to avoid making a really terrible one like what we got.

you know what makes no sense. How can you control the reapers if your DEAD?? Shepard dies before the reapers leave earth. Who is controlling them and who gets control after shepard dies?

Replicant

There was nothing good about Rannoch. It was walking down a linear path the entire time and shooting some geth. Same with Tuchanka. The character scenes are the only good thing about any of the levels.

Tuchanka's last few minutes were tense and exciting. Also, the conclusion of the Genophage saga was harrowing to say the least. Rannoch's last few minutes were also quite good and you can feel the tension rising as Legion uploads his data to the Geth.

Anyway, I've been doing some thinking and the more I do that, the more I abhored the Synthesis ending because it takes away everyone's individuality and turn them into a mish mash of organic/synthesis. And who's to say that one day these mess of creatures won't create more normal synthetic that'd also destroy them?

The reason organics create synthetics in the first place was to make organics' life easier. In that sense, synthetics created in this manner should have been programmed in such a way so that they adhere to Asimov's fictional but makes a lot of sense "3 laws of Robotics".

Should a synthetic start to grow AI, then the best solution would be to give each synthetic individuality. The reason synthetics are so united in their cause against organics is because they are one collective, together in their cause. It's for this very reason we never see a Reaper ally, an individual Reaper who disagrees with the directions of their kind. Marauder Shields joke aside, of course.

In contrast, the Geths have the Heretics vs the Legions and I assume it became even more diverse after Legion gave them individuality. By giving synthetics individuality, they'll be independent from each other, have different thoughts and opinions, form attachment AND loyalty to the organics that they know well, etc.

you know what makes no sense. How can you control the reapers if your DEAD?? Shepard dies before the reapers leave earth. Who is controlling them and who gets control after shepard dies?

Shepard's chillin' with Captain Sisko in the white plane of existence. He can control them from there.

Does Shepard become a reaper? Is that what Catalyst said will happen? I thought he was giving one order that the Reapers had no choice but to follow and just trying to do that would kill him. Becoming a reaper sounds fucking stupid, but I guess thats appropriate for how shitty the ending.

I mean he says you will die, you will control them but you will lose everything.

DTKT

Does Shepard become a reaper? Is that what Catalyst said will happen? I thought he was giving one order that the Reapers had no choice but to follow and just trying to do that would kill him. Becoming a reaper sounds fucking stupid, but I guess thats appropriate for how shitty the ending.

I mean he says you will die, you will control them but you will lose everything.

Pretty sure that he's not a Reaper.

But if he is, it would make for a great space combat SIM.

sp3000

Mass Effect 3 is the mechanically strongest game of the 3 but is also the weakest in terms of actual ambition.

-They completely killed off exploration, even the little they had in ME2. It's amazing that they stripped down planet scanning and kept it, despite nobody (or atleast sane people) liking it. It doesn't work as a timesink or even being entertaining but feels more like a dead remnant from ME2. I mean hell they didn't even bother fixing the UI so now there appears to be tons of wasted space on the lower left. There is none of that vastness felt in ME1 and atleast the N7 missions in ME2 were more complicated and diverse than the wave design we got in ME3.

-Atleast ME2 had the ambition of trying with more than 1 hub world and it seems ME3 just completely regresses. Yes the Citadel is bigger but that's it. The Citadel missions are all glorfied fetch quests that don't even have the decency to differ or even be entertaining.

-All the wasted space on the Normandy. So many dead spots where nothing is happening like Jack's old area or Thane's. They didn't even bother trying anything with the areas except stuff them full of model ships in the hope that people didn't notice how fucking dead the areas are.

-The mission designs themselves are lazier and less interesting compared to ME2. We have none of the dialog only designs seen in Samara's loyalty mission or even some of the puzzle designs seen in the N7 missions.

In short, Mass Effect 3 feels like a mixture of ME1 with an even more streamlined version of ME2 and even then fails short in certain areas.

Exactly. Whole game feels half finished even if you ignore the ending.

Mass Effect 4 will feature the protagonist battling a reaper called the Shepherd.

Book23.jpg

Replicant

Mass Effect 4 will feature the protagonist battling a reaper called the Shepherd.

Who keeps harassing you by calling you "My Sweet".

"Soon, my sweet"
"Assuming direct control, my sweet"
"This hurts you, my sweet"

Uhm, that came out a lot dirtier than I intended.

I thought he becomes the catalyst/citadel, or merges with it anyway.

fin

Any pseudo-scientific explanation like that would be fine, even if it's scientifically nonsense.

It's pretty fucked up. I'm reading that only two writers had input in the ending. Everyone else got locked out? I can't believe that would happen. How do you not get the entire writing staff involved in something as critical as the ending? Fuck I'd treat it as an episode of a TV series or something, accept submissions from everyone.

Replicant

It's pretty fucked up. I'm reading that only two writers had input in the ending. Everyone else got locked out? I can't believe that would happen. How do you not get the entire writing staff involved in something as critical as the ending? Fuck I'd treat it as an episode of a TV series or something, accept submissions from everyone.

GIANT EGO THE SIZE OF A REAPER. Well, two Reapers in this case, Mac Walters and Casey Hudson.

Bowdz

Mac Walter is going to be a curse word among Bioware fans for ages regardless of any fix. His ego (which most likely caused this mess) will cause him to attempt to rationalize why there is a fan backlash, but he will inevitable fail to see that he is a piss poor writer who more or less single-handedly destroyed one of gaming's most beloved game universes.

Mac Walter is going to be a curse word among Bioware fans for ages regardless of any fix. His ego (which most likely caused this mess) will cause him to attempt to rationalize why there is a fan backlash, but he will inevitable fail to see that he is a piss poor writer who more or less single-handedly destroyed one of gaming's most beloved game universes.

Jeez, take it easy.

Listening to the Adam Sessler, Kevin Vanord and other podcast discussion about the games ending. It is making me cringe...

But it makes some sense why all these journalists actually sort of enjoy the ending. I think it comes down to, when you work at a place that requires you to actively play games constantly for a living. I'm sure you get a little bit jaded and don't necassarily get as attached to franchises as someone that cherishes their gaming time.

And I think when you see Bioware do something totally out of left field, unexpected and ballsy that it's refreshing to see, instead of the classic; triumphant ending w/ ewok song or mass destruction if you screw up. So I feel like they are satisfied that it's not the same "old thing". But this goes to show, how we should not listen to critics so feverishly as we have been... putting way too much value in Metacritic ect.

Here's what I don't understand. Javik was in my squad in the final mission and Ashley is on Earth yet somehow they show up with Joker in the ending? So Javik survived the fight to the beam and then thought "i'm going to teleport to the Normandy now"?

DTKT

Here's what I don't understand. Javik was in my squad in the final mission and Ashley is on Earth yet somehow they show up with Joker in the ending? So Javik survived the fight to the beam and then thought "i'm going to teleport to the Normandy now"?

Space magic. You can't explain that.

Seriously, no one knows. But, from cut VO, it seems that Joker is supposed to swoop in and save the day.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Space magic. You can't explain that.

Seriously, no one knows. But, from cut VO, it seems that Joker is supposed to swoop in and save the day.

And then run away!

The whole scenario is so stupid. It's insane how much was messed up in a short cutscene.

Massa

Your team mates made it back to Normandy while you were being told the facts by Space Child.

I suppose the new ending will add things like that: why the crew didn't make it with you, and why they were fleeing Earth as you destroyed all the Mass Relays.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
But this goes to show, how we should not listen to critics so feverishly as we have been... putting way too much value in Metacritic ect.
Ironically, the only ones placing a high value on Metacritic are BioWare themselves.

"Yeah, you guys may not like the ending, but look at all these 100s, bitches!"

C'mon...don't be like that. If you look at her character model, at lease she gets to eat a large number of pies...
i9nnbsbHERa2u.gif

ME2 Shep will always be creepy Shep.

Top Bottom