• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Bowdz

Man I had such good (sad but good) feelings about Mass Effect 3. Especially the journey, those moments with Mordin, Legion, the dream sequences, the slow walk up to the light, the talk with Anderson, everything, always so heart-breaking tragic...I loved it. I also liked the ending how I picked it. It could have been much better but it's reading this thread, not the ending, that is making those good feelings fade away from all the cynism. You must all be bastard renegade Shepards.

I read the leaked ending last year and was pretty disappointed, so my expectations for the game and the ending were pretty low. The massive pre-release ending backlash also made me expect a terrible conclusion, but to my surprise, the game far exceeded my expectation ... except for the last ten minutes. I hadn't read any of the comments about the ending on BSN or NeoGAF and I still had the same complaints as the credits rolled the first time. If the rest of the game had been fairly mediocre, I might have been fine with the ending, but to fumble the ending (literally the last ten minutes) after such a brilliant game made the plot holes stand out like a sore thumb.

They could easily make it where you're indoctrinated talking to the starchild, you break free and realize it's harbinger trying to get you to destroy organics for the reapers. I like that at least 12x more than the 'god' thing we meet.

They could easily make it where you're indoctrinated talking to the starchild, you break free and realize it's harbinger trying to get you to destroy organics for the reapers. I like that at least 12x more than the 'god' thing we meet.

They were actually going to put an indoctrination sequence in, but took it out because of the controls and time constraints

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I don't see how that would be better; I don't see how people think that the Reaper keeper is god. Just because it's translucent doesn't make it a deity.

I read the leaked ending last year and was pretty disappointed, so my expectations for the game and the ending were pretty low. The massive pre-release ending backlash also made me expect a terrible conclusion, but to my surprise, the game far exceeded my expectation ... except for the last ten minutes. I hadn't read any of the comments about the ending on BSN or NeoGAF and I still had the same complaints as the credits rolled the first time. If the rest of the game had been fairly mediocre, I might have been fine with the ending, but to fumble the ending (literally the last ten minutes) after such a brilliant game made the plot holes stand out like a sore thumb.

I pretty much had the same reaction. I already knew that there would be some story problems when I read the leaked script, then In It For the Tank on SomethingAwful got a hold a press copy and posted about it. From what he said, it seemed bad, but I didn't imagine it would be like this. It's been almost a month since the game came out and people are still talking about the ending.

- J - D -

Man I had such good (sad but good) feelings about Mass Effect 3. Especially the journey, those moments with Mordin, Legion, the dream sequences, the slow walk up to the light, the talk with Anderson, everything, always so heart-breaking tragic...I loved it. I also liked the ending how I picked it. It could have been much better but it's reading this thread, not the ending, that is making those good feelings fade away from all the cynism. You must all be bastard renegade Shepards.

If anything, the ending is cynical, not us. I loved the game, and the series whole-heartedly up until the very last few moments. If I'm cynical, the ending has made me that way.

Like that 40-minute analysis vid posted the other day noted, Bioware, with ME3's ending has turned most of us from

this Fry
fR2ZR.jpg

into this Fry
3TFXL.png

In regards to the future of the series (and the company itself).

Tabris

You know, this ending is really like Xenogears.

The revelation of "God Child" is very similar to the
revelation of "God" at the end. A speech then a choice. Then destruction/ascension.
Difference is in Xenogears the narrative makes the choice (essentially they had a red/green choice and picked red) and you get the "happy" part of the ending (Fei/Elly descending with everyone there) with "closure".

Both endings were weak in comparison to the game before them though (because the game before them was the best of it's generation). Xenogears for that last 2 minutes (the "Small of Two Pieces" part of the ending), Mass Effect for the last 5 minutes. But that didn't change my opinion of the game.

I don't see how that would be better; I don't see how people think that the Reaper keeper is god. Just because it's translucent doesn't make it a deity.

The Catalyst displays a couple of traits one would a associate with a god even if he probably isn't one and that's probably why people feel like referring to him as one. He seems to be able read Shepard's mind or he would have never chosen the form he did to show himself and the very nature of what synthesis does seems to imply he is one. I know that there's some scientific law out there states if a technology is sufficiently advance enough then it will look like magic, but Synthesis kind of goes beyond that. The amount of energy and understanding it would take to rearrange the molecular structure of every single thing in the galaxy would be phenomenal. It would probably require more energy then the entire Big Bang did, because its a controlled event where the Big Bang was random I know Mass Effect isn't all that scientific considering biotics are kind of the force, but I think you get my point.

hitmon

Just finished the game and not really sure what to feel right now. I'm more confused than anything. So the trilogy was just some fantasy story told by an old man to a kid?

LiK

Just finished the game and not really sure what to feel right now. I'm more confused than anything. So the trilogy was just some fantasy story told by an old man to a kid?

I hope so, cuz that means he was telling that kid all those sex stories too.

Bowdz

According to the game files, the Buzz Aldrin/kid scene takes place roughly 10,000 years in the future. 10,000 years without space travel (going by what the kid says in that scene) all brought about by Shepard.

hitmon

I hope so, cuz that means he was telling that kid all those sex stories too.

Ending seemed rushed to me. I guess it makes sense since it would seem that old man (stargazer) was getting tired of telling the story to his "sweet".

LOST's ending was bad, but it wasn't broken like ME3s.

The mythos of that show got bigger than how they could tell it. With a videogame, they could have done anything and still they failed.

What LOST did right though is give you closure on the characters. ME3 will ask us to pay for that closure as DLC.

According to the game files, the Buzz Aldrin/kid scene takes place roughly 10,000 years in the future. 10,000 years without space travel (going by what the kid says in that scene) all brought about by The Shepard.

Remember he's a legend now and if you want to continue building on it just pay nominal a $14.99 or 1200 Microsoft point.

Dany

Banned
I mean...there is a reason why the protagonist of both are called shepards. I don't think it was playing an homage to LOST.

Also, mass effect should have totally gone the way of LOST in the finale, the internet would still be on fire.

rdrr gnr

Yup, posted before.
Yeah, I figured. Oh well, bump for new page.
I mean...there is a reason why the protagonist of both are called shepards. I don't think it was playing an homage to LOST.

Also, mass effect should have totally gone the way of LOST in the finale, the internet would still be on fire.

Shepard is also the name of the main protagonist from Stargate Atlantis.

- J - D -

According to the game files, the Buzz Aldrin/kid scene takes place roughly 10,000 years in the future. 10,000 years without space travel (going by what the kid says in that scene) all brought about by Shepard.

I did not know this. WHY DID YOU HAVE TO SAY THIS.

:(

Bowdz

I think Bioware is on record for saying that Shepard was named after Alan Shepard. Bioware used a lot of astronauts as names throughout the game including Gus Grissom being the inspiration for Jon Grissom and Grissom academy.

I did not know this. WHY DID YOU HAVE TO SAY THIS.

:(

It's alright. Your among friends now.

Why would they suddenly lose the ability to travel through space?

Even if it was the people on the Normandy crashed jungle planet, the Normandy is RIGHT THERE. Even if it doesn't fly anymore, it was full of people who knew how it flew. Did they all just never teach their eventual kids about it and over generations they forgot it existed entirely?

LiK

I think Bioware is on record for saying that Shepard was named after Alan Shepard. Bioware used a lot of astronauts as names throughout the game including Gus Grissom being the inspiration for Jon Grissom and Grissom academy.

That's true. Now they decided to make it to mean he's like Jesus.

nyong

Banned
First of all, I liked the ending. I did my damnedest to avoid spoilers, but I had this sinking feeling it was going to be a cliff-hangar wait-for-the-DLC ending or something. Or trying to turn Mass Effect into a Dragon-Age prequel (I was, however, fully expecting space travel to go bye-bye). In reality, I was left with far more open questions than I'd like, but a better ending than Battlestar bothered with. I'm content.

The "logical" breakdown linked in the OP has a lot of problems too...some of which I'll comment on later. All in all, I'm happy with how the series ended.

First of all, I liked the ending. I did my damnedest to avoid spoilers, but I had this sinking feeling it was going to be a cliff-hangar wait-for-the-DLC ending or something. Or trying to turn Mass Effect into a Dragon-Age prequel (I was, however, fully expecting space travel to go bye-bye). In reality, I was left with far more open questions than I'd like, but a better ending than Battlestar bothered with. I'm content.

The "logical" breakdown linked in the OP has a lot of problems too...some of which I'll comment on later. All in all, I'm happy with how the series ended.

nyong
Literacy is not his strong point

Dechaios is going to get mad at me for saying this, but keep thinking about it. I am looking forward to your comments, though.

Bowdz

Lmao so after all that hard work uniting the galaxforhim the first time in history to take on the reapers....it ends with everyone getting stranded all over the universe for 10,000 years

It is the sweet in Hudson's bittersweet ending. Yes, Earth, Thessia, Palaven, Sur'Kesh, and Rannoch may all have lost billions or trillions and the entire infrastructure of the galaxy is in shambles, but at least some people are still alive.

Top Bottom