• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

MechaX

So bet on what the next ME game will be about? Will we save the galaxy again cause bigger is bestest?

It should be about Marauder Shields in the far-future after the multi-colored endings. Possible that he would have lived the longest to see a lot of races go to ruin or rise to power.

I am not even joking.

Carbonox

I'm curious how many people shot the bottle in the competition with Garrus. It seems like most people purposely missed it which is impressive. There are not many characters that have as much universal love as Garrus.

I purposefully missed the bottle in my first run. I couldn't shit on Garrus like that.

Myomoto

There's files on the disc and notes from the writing process and a behind the scenes interview with the writers.

They all indicate that the ending was purposefully designed to be vague, and that what's being presented is "real" in the game.

oYQj3.jpg

IT WAS PLANNED ALL ALONG, GEOFF KEIGHLEY WAS JUST A SIMPLE COG IN THEIR DARK MACHINE!!!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jury is still out on whether whatever next game is going to play before or after the events of ME3.

There isnt a ton of room to work with beforehand, cause they decided to make humanity so super special and get ahead int he galaxy so fast and they'd never do a game prehumanity, even though everyone is more interested in the aliens than the humans.

Bowdz

I purposefully missed the bottle in my first run. I couldn't shit on Garrus like that.

Same here. I'm impressed by the number of people on NeoGAF that missed the bottle. I always get the impression that there is a large number of renegade players on this board and yet Garrus is able to unite everyone in the end.

Replicant

McNum said:
Also, apparently if you take Javik on both Tuchanka and Rannoch and have him along for both Reaper kills, he'll actually compliment Shepard and humanity as a whole on being so cunning warriors. Drunk Tali may have it right. He DOES like us.

But if you bring him to Rannoch you can't bring Garrus and watch him and Tali flirt like high school kids, making you feel like an awkward third wheel.

I'm curious how many people shot the bottle in the competition with Garrus. It seems like most people purposely missed it which is impressive. There are not many characters that have as much universal love as Garrus.

I'm Commander Shepard and this is one of my favorite scenes in Mass Effect 3.

CrazyDude

I shot it. You got show who the bitch in the relationship is.

hao chi

Its not like the pieces people are putting together are that far fetched and it does 'explain' why the destroy option is the only one where shep lives.

But whatever, they fucked up.

Seriously. I've yet to see anyone try to explain how Shepard would have survived re-entering orbit.

DTKT

:|

Just really finished it. Synthesis ending, since it's the obvious "end the cycle" without murdering everyone.

Destroy is dumb, you kill the geth.

Control is even worse.

Fuck it, I'm done.

inky

Making a game during the First Contact War seems pretty obvious.

I thought the movie was going to be about that. With a competent writer/director it still could turn out great.

Seriously. I've yet to see anyone try to explain how Shepard would have survived re-entering orbit.

The idea with that theory is that he never left Earth, thus, Reapers are still on full attack mode.

derFeef

Cerberus cyborg. He is not even the real shepard as we have learned from the video recordings during the cerberus base mission.
(grasping at straws)

Derrick01

Banned

Garrus is my best bro and everything but I'm competitive. I beat his ass in that shooting competition.

I dont think people would be as gungho for a game with only turians and humans involved.

Especially a war where nothing really happened but a few really small skirmishes. Also if they stick to their own lore we won't even be able to understand the Turians, unless they choose to ignore that like they did in their comic.

Tookay

There isnt a ton of room to work with beforehand, cause they decided to make humanity so super special and get ahead int he galaxy so fast and they'd never do a game prehumanity, even though everyone is more interested in the aliens than the humans.

Except for the mythical Dudebro McGamer, EA's long-sought-after audience.

I wish they would go in a pre-humanity direction. Or First Contact War. Or just being a C-Sec cop on the Citadel. Just nothing with ancient robot squid conspiracies to harvest and kill billions so they can save us.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Just really finished it. Synthesis ending, since it's the obvious "end the cycle" without murdering everyone.

Control is even worse.

Fuck it, I'm done.

Should have pick the secret fourth ending. The Citadel fails to fire but the Rachni come to the rescue in Gundams and kill the reapers with shining claw attacks.

Myomoto

Cerberus cyborg. He is not even the real shepard as we have learned from the video recordings during the cerberus base mission.
(grasping at straws)

So the waking Shepard is the one that was lost in space in at the beginning of ME2? I WANT TO BELIEVE.

Zeliard

They should make it so the Catalyst was ultimately right despite his methods, and the Geth just go apeshit and start massacring everyone. And then the Catalyst rides back on top of his Citadel like a surfer and saves the day.

McNei1y

Control is even worse.

Fuck it, I'm done.

I went with control because I recall Star Child guy say that choosing to destroy would destroy all synthetics which means Reapers, Geth, AND EDI, as well as the Mass Relays. I didn't want to destroy the Geth because I tried so hard to save them. Why'd they hafta get rid of my bro Legion?

sTeLioSco

Banned
Same here. I'm impressed by the number of people on NeoGAF that missed the bottle. I always get the impression that there is a large number of renegade players on this board and yet Garrus is able to unite everyone in the end.

yeah i missed also :)

ppl connect alot with the characters............

its a good thing bioware closed the series so well(lol)

derFeef

I went with control because I recall Star Child guy say that destroying would destroy all synthetics which means Reapers, Geth, AND EDI, as well as the Mass Relays. I didn't want to destroy the Geth which I tried so hard to save. Why'd they hafta get rid of my bro Legion?

Don't forget that EDI is in the Normandy, it's just her body that is getting destroyed. I think?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
but basically nothing happened there thanks to mac walters, I can count the number of times turians and humans engaged in battle on one hand.

Nah. It was always a conflict where very little fighting happened. The ME1 codex detailed it. Than the comics fucked it up. I can forgive fucking up how space battles work, cause the codex's pseudo realistic approach would be more boring or harder to convey (but I would have sung their praises if they had stuck with it) but the comic version of the first contact war was dumb as hell.

DTKT

And really, while I'm at it, Earth is the most boring place I have ever seen. I know it's all "EARTH IS IN RUINS" but shit, everything was so square and well aligned. Makes you wonder if they did that level last, just ran out of time and started placing square models with a texture.

And what the fuck, that sequence with the old man and the "small old man". That's one terrible voice-actor. WHY IS THAT SCENE EVEN THERE!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Don't forget that EDI is in the Normandy, it's just her body that is getting destroyed. I think?

No. The AIs all get fried. It wouldnt matter if she was in a slutty robot body or inside the ship. Her blue box would be fucked. After all, geth can live in servers or be uploaded into ships, they dont have to be in platforms.

Zeliard

No. The AIs all get fried. It wouldnt matter if she was in a slutty robot body or inside the ship. Her blue box would be fucked. After all, geth can live in servers or be uploaded into ships, they dont have to be in platforms.

Yeah it's stated at certain points that the Geth aren't hardware - they're software.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
And really, while I'm at it, Earth is the most boring place I have ever seen. I know it's all "EARTH IS IN RUINS" but shit, everything was so square and well aligned. Makes you wonder if they did that level last, just ran out of time and started placing square models with a texture.

Its rare for the endings of games to be super detailed cause resources usually go more towards the front end (more players will see it) and it usually a place where you are preoccupied with shooting things, unlike a hub area. It was really gray though and disappointing. Didnt really invoke "the star trek utopian city in ruins" like I thought it would (should).

The thing is, with the destroy ending, the fact that you are alive means that either:

A: The kid was lying
B: It never happened.

Don't really see any other alternatives, I doubt he just simply made a mistake.

derFeef

Yeah it's stated at certain points that the Geth aren't hardware - they're software.

Than EDI should be safe too? ... Crap.
But I choose the Synth. ending too - why would I screw up my new Geth friends? Legion would have "died" for nothing.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
All of the Geth are basically Legion at that point. He imbued them with his personality.

Unless of course Tali killed Legion in your game and the Quarians destroyed the Geth fleet, lawl.

Didnt he give them individuality? So it would be his personality. Maybe his ideas.

McNei1y

All of the Geth are basically Legion at that point. He imbued them with his personality.

Unless of course Tali killed Legion in your game and the Quarians destroyed the Geth fleet, lawl.

True. But then again I never shared the experiences with those other Geth! Legion rocked my N7 armor, was awesome in ME2, and he also went into Tron land and gave me some awesome backstory. That was why I choose to allow him to do his thing. Then out of nowhere, he decides to kill himself to allow every Geth to live. Then the ignorant Quarians go all out and get themselves killed. THEN TALI loses all hope. I mean they take everything away from me right there and I just killed a Reaper. Let me celebrate with my pals!

But I choose the Synth. ending too - why would I screw up my new Geth friends? Legion would have "died" for nothing.

Yeah, that's how I saw it.

J-Rod

The destroy option seem to imply to me that even advanced tech that may be essential to operate things like spaceships and the like would be destroyed.

edit: I consider legion dead, because the prime said he was. They all may have is disposition now, but whatever made legion be legion is dead.

The thing is, with the destroy ending, the fact that you are alive means that either:

C: LOTS OF SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE.

Seriously, you can easily attribute this to Bioware/Walters/Hudson's laziness and time constraints

True. But then again I never shared the experiences with those other Geth! Legion rocked my N7 armor, was awesome in ME2, and he also went into Tron land and gave me some awesome backstory. That was why I choose to allow him to do his thing. Then out of nowhere, he decides to kill himself to allow every Geth to live. Then the ignorant Quarians go all out and get themselves killed. THEN TALI loses all hope. I mean they take everything away from me right there and I just killed a Reaper. Let me celebrate with my pals!

Yeah, that's how I saw it.

Sounds like you got the worse possible scenario there.

Shepard

The destroy option seem to imply to me that even advanced tech that may be essential to operate things like spaceships and the like would be destroyed.

That's the main reason why I didn't choose it.

Also, the fact that I defended the ending on this thread made me love it much more: after finishing the game I thought it was just "good"

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Than EDI should be safe too? ... Crap.

Yeah, you just screwed over civilization cause the mass relay are fucking gone and its likely the council and most of the high officials of all the major races are dead.

Except the Rachni Queen. Aint nothing to a boss.

JohngPR

It will probably get ignored (again lol) but here was my theory as far as what happened from the point that Shepard gets hit by the reaper laser towards the end:

The story given to us (from ME1 to ME3) ended up being told similarly to what was told in the bible. No one really knows what happened at the end of the game on the Citadel by the time you see the stargazer and some of the details of what took place have probably been embellished over time, which explains some of the weird stuff that happened when Shepard got to the Citadel at the end of the game (like being able to breathe in open space, the catalyst, etc.) From the point that Shepard beamed himself up to the Citadel to enable the Crucible after he got blasted by the reaper laser and onward, Alliance lost contact with him. There is no possible way that anyone would know what Shepard did, so it makes no sense that the stargazer would know what really happened.

So IMO, nobody really knew what Shepard did on the Citadel. Hackett never made contact with him after Anderson died because Shepard collapsed and seemingly died before that elevator beamed him up to the top of the Citadel. The fact that I've heard numerous complaints that "it stops becoming a Mass Effect story when he reaches the Citadel and is confronted by the Illusive man" gives even more credence to my theory. No one was there that could vouch for what happens after that point of the story. I think the reason the ending becomes so different from what Mass Effect is as a series at that point is because no one really knew what happened to Shepard. From that point on its a story that was made up by the survivors of the war to explain what happened...a myth passed down for seemingly generations. In that context, the ending itself is pretty cool. We basically witnessed the origin of how a new religion was created.

The story had been passed on for so long, by the time we see the stargazers after the credits he's known as simply "The Shepard" like he's a god or something

The fact that the entire series was a story told to a child by his grandfather way farther into the future confirms that for me.

My question is...if you chose the Synthesis ending and destroyed all of the Mass Relays, wouldn't that mean you destroyed almost all life all around the galaxies? If a Mass Relay getting destroyed is the equivalent of a Super Nova, that could destroy a solar system, wouldn't everything including Earth be toast?

DTKT

The "you are alive" sequence is a small "gift" from Bioware. It means nothing outside of your mind.

Shepard story is over, he's irrelevant outside of ME3.

It will probably get ignored (again lol) but here was my theory as far as what happened from the point that Shepard gets hit by the reaper laser towards the end:

The story given to us (from ME1 to ME3) ended up being told similarly to what was told in the bible. No one really knows what happened at the end of the game on the Citadel by the time you see the stargazer and some of the details of what took place have probably been embellished over time, which explains some of the weird stuff that happened when Shepard got to the Citadel at the end of the game (like being able to breathe in open space, the catalyst, etc.) From the point that Shepard beamed himself up to the Citadel to enable the Crucible after he got blasted by the reaper laser and onward, Alliance lost contact with him. There is no possible way that anyone would know what Shepard did, so it makes no sense that the stargazer would know what really happened.

So IMO, nobody really knew what Shepard did on the Citadel. Hackett never made contact with him after Anderson died because Shepard collapsed and seemingly died before that elevator beamed him up to the top of the Citadel. The fact that I've heard numerous complaints that "it stops becoming a Mass Effect story when he reaches the Citadel and is confronted by the Illusive man" gives even more credence to my theory. No one was there that could vouch for what happens after that point of the story. I think the reason the ending becomes so different from what Mass Effect is as a series at that point is because no one really knew what happened to Shepard. From that point on its a story that was made up by the survivors of the war to explain what happened...a myth passed down for seemingly generations. In that context, the ending itself is pretty cool. We basically witnessed the origin of how a new religion was created.

The story had been passed on for so long,, by the time we see the stargazers after the credits he's known as simply "The Shepard" like he's a god or something.

The fact that the entire series was a story told to a child by his grandfather way farther into the future confirms that for me. That's my two cents.

You can't be serious. :|

Top Bottom