• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

I'm glad that there are only a few indoctrinated.

True that.

More glory for me when it's proven right!

But realistically, like I've said -- I think it's more that Bioware alluded to a lot of things, so it takes some responsibility off of their back. They can just say, "The ending isnt bad, just interpret what you want!". But I do feel indoctrination was a big one of those possibilities.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
True that.

More glory for me when it's proven right!
kbnWNrl.gif

We shall see.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? R/G/B
  • How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral
    • Plotholes, lack of end game choice reflected by ingame actions.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N
  • Have you played previous ME games? Y/N
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? 3

There is a difference between thinking Bioware planned it all along and thinking they should just roll with it.

Yeah. I don't think they planned it from the start but I DO think they should use it for a new ending.

DTKT

kbnWNrl.gif

We shall see.

I just finished watching the finale to season 4 of DS9...

Anyway, the coverage from every single site I've seen has been incredibly bad. This has been the one moment where I wonder what kind of discourse we want regarding video games. This has been some Fox-news level of bashing against fans and a blatant disregard for facts.

def sim

• Ending doesn't fit; deus ex machina is a lazy out.

I enjoyed figuring out ME1's system but it's god awful in execution. ME2 was a clunky shooter but I loved building my squad and ME3 is good fun despite the ending.

Also, if there was any debate, let's put it to a close and agree Adept is the most powerful class in 1. You were literally untouchable when leveled with a focus on crowd control and weapons are powerful for any class anyway.

It's been denied by BW, but it's probably true. Weekes is going to be at PAX.

I've heard, yeah. I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it though considering confirmation is as simple as asking a forum member there. It could be the vindication all the angry dudes want for whatever good that does them.

kami_sama

ME3 GAF Poll

• How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)
    • No connection with anything you've done before.
  • In what order have you played the games? 1->2->3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? 3rd, if it wasn't for the ending.

rdrr gnr

• The ending is thematically inconsistent, nearly incoherent, and wholly unsatisfying. No thinking person can give this conclusion any serious consideration; it's objectively awful.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? 2

Glaurungr

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? Red
  • How do you feel about the ending? Hate
    • Please describe why you feel this way.
      • Choices/War Assets didn't matter
      • Thematically inconsistent with the series up to that point
      • Numerous plot holes
      • Introduction of a new character at the very end
      • No resolution on what happened to the characters and the galaxy
      • Having to play multiplayer to get the "best" ending
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? No
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? No
  • Have you played previous ME games? Yes
  • In what order have you played the games? 1 -> 2 -> 3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Mass Effect

ME3 GAF Poll

Plot/logic holes, vent kid, destruction of relays, Xzibit
  • In what order have you played the games? 1-3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? 1

Minion101

Banned
ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? Blue
  • How do you feel about the ending? Neutral (Indifferent)
    I don't want to knock something I don't fully understand.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Yes
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Yes

Bruiserk

ME3 GAF Poll

Never really enjoyed the series as much as other people, but I can understand why people are so upset over the lack of impact their choices had. Also that it doesn't fit within the lore, synthetics killing humans to protect them from synthetics, etc.
  • In what order have you played the games? 2, 3

Here you go.

ME3 GAF Poll

• Plotholes, lack of end game choice reflected by ingame actions.

I believe in the Indoctrination Theory. That being said, if it is proven, I believe most of the "non-believers" will just go ahead and complain about Biowares decision to go about it instead of just admitting they were wrong and accepting the fact that its a great story once IT is taken into consideration... If its proven to be false then ill just go ahead and say Bioware really blew it with their story by not using IT whether it was premeditated or not.

ME3 GAF Poll

• How do you feel about the ending? Dislike
    Didn't make sense, no closure, the implications it had on the galaxy (Relays gone, fleets cut off from returning home, supply chain gone).
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Yes
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Mass Effect 2

Minion101

Banned
I believe in the Indoctrination Theory. That being said, if it is proven, I believe most of the "non-believers" will just go ahead and complain about Biowares decision to go about it instead of just admitting they were wrong and accepting the fact that its a great story once IT is taken into consideration... If its proven to be false then ill just go ahead and say Bioware really blew it with their story by not using IT whether it was premeditated or not.

It sucks there is a lot less speculation about the ending than people just saying it blows.

ME3 GAF Poll

• How do you feel about the ending? Dislike
    Doesn't make logical sense, abrupt thematic shift, no closure, choices feel like they don't matter
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Maybe
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Mass Effect 1

hateradio

That's enough updating for tonight. I'll continue to do so tomorrow. If someone wants to help, PM me. Also, let's speculate on the data!

IE:
Most people have seemed to pick destroy.
Most hate it.
Less than half state that they will buy DLC.
Almost all would still pay for a DLC ending. :p

It sucks there is a lot less speculation about the ending than people just saying it blows.
I would like to speculate on the dark age, but I really don't want to think about it.

hateradio

Everything you know and love is dead
I really don't care about that. It's just that there are so many things to consider, plus the three options, plus the alternative universe/planet that Joker's lands on. So it's like, I'd rather just not think about it and do something else, like work on a spreadsheet. :|

saunderez

ME3 GAF Poll
  • How do you feel about the ending? Neutral
    It provided an ending to the narrative. For me ME3 was all about the ride, the destination was always going to be irrelevant.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No. I can see where IT believers are coming from but I don't need IT to redeem the ending for me.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Mass Effect 3

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
ME3 GAF Poll

Makes no sense. Zero closure. Reapers become a joke. Erases everything I did for 2 and 9/10ths of a game.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? ME1

I am saddened that I see a lot of people saying that they hated the ending...but will buy DLC.

Moaradin

Yea. I hated the ending but fucking loved everything else. I would gladly pay for more ME3 content (if it didn't suck like the ending, of course).

Digoman

I am saddened that I see a lot of people saying that they hated the ending...but will buy DLC.

Yeah, I'm kind of ashamed by it, but my "reasoning" is that if they produce a satisfying ending, it will be the way to fix the game for me. I did at least 3 playtroughs of the previous games (one paragon, one renegade, and a new-game+ "perfect" for import) but still haven't been able to start another for ME3.

So yes, it is rewarding their bad behavior, but it would help me enjoy the three games again. That being said, there's no way I'm buying anything Day-1 from Bioware now, so I will first read if is worth it, and it won't be from the gaming press.

Also, just updating my response to the quiz since there was a question added:

• Favorite game in the trilogy? Mass Effect 1

Omega

Banned
How could you guys buy DLC? What enjoyment would you get out of it? You're pretty much doing a meaningless mission, not to mention encouraging BioWare that no matter how bad they fuck up, people will still gladly eat up DLC. How could you not be insulted by that post game message?

"Congratulations on wasting your time playing Mass Effect. Sorry for that shit ending, but buy our DLC and continue the legacy! You know, the legacy that ends up with you dying and setting galactic civilization back hundreds of thousands of years. Yeah, that legacy"

I would only possibly consider MP DLC. The MP is actually enjoyable, just very limited in terms of content. SP however, would never even touch it even if the DLC was free.

Dilly

Banned
How could you guys buy DLC? What enjoyment would you get out of it? You're pretty much doing a meaningless mission, not to mention encouraging BioWare that no matter how bad they fuck up, people will still gladly eat up DLC. How could you not be insulted by that post game message?

"Congratulations on wasting your time playing Mass Effect. Sorry for that shit ending, but buy our DLC and continue the legacy! You know, the legacy that ends up with you dying and setting galactic civilization back hundreds of thousands of years. Yeah, that legacy"

I would only possibly consider MP DLC. The MP is actually enjoyable, just very limited in terms of content. SP however, would never even touch it even if the DLC was free.

Because I love the universe before I utterly doomed it.

rdrr gnr

I will YouTube videos of the DLC, if that counts. I'm seriously so jaded by not getting to experience Javik that I'm not buying any DLC even if it's LotSB level.

def sim

I will YouTube videos of the DLC, if that counts. I'm seriously so jaded by not getting to experience Javik that I'm not buying any DLC even if it's LotSB level.

Javik was worth it completely, but doubly so for Thessia. I don't know if you disliked Liara, but if you did, good old Prothy is a gift from Bioware.

ME3 GAF Poll

• Please describe why you feel this way. It was an incoherent mess and it rendered every decision you've ever made in the entire series meaningless. The Starchild was also the worst possible direction they could have gone.

Arjen

ME3 GAF Poll

Full of plotholes, lack of choices, disregards all your previous choiches, introducing a new character in the last 5 minutes of a 100 hour game is dumber then dumb.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy 2

def sim

It weakens your point when you are considering MP DLC. It doesn't matter which mode it's in, it's in support of the game regardless.

As I said, it's still a fun game so, yes, I will buy DLC provided it's well done. If I weren't, I would have returned my copy to Amazon the moment I finished it. My feelings on the main narrative is, as described in an earlier post, "unequivocal indifference"** yet I am open to new episodes or adventures. Why shouldn't I? Taking a stand now will accomplish nothing.

The decision has already been made for me; thousands of fans complained enough that Bioware has all but confirmed a supplement to the ending. I didn't ask for any of that, I just want to play a game.

**As a result of the ending.

This just occurred to me. People were talking about the IT being false because of the documents of the writers. Supposedly there were writers who had no mention of IT. But one of the writers officially said that Casey Hudson had everything peer reviewed up until the ending of the game. Sure there could be documents from writers stating nothing about the Indoctrination being a part of the final moments but they dont know for sure what was going on through Casey Hudsons mind as he planned parts of the game in isolation with no peer review.

ME3 GAF Poll

• Please describe why you feel this way. I've spent 100s of hours replaying each game building up relationships with people and races trying to get the best possible ending to each game for my own personal reasons, being told that my choices matter and that we wouldnt get an a, b or c ending, in the end none of my choices mattered and i dont get any closure apart from some magical a,b or c plot hole ridden ending.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N Reluctantly
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 3

What part of my sentence was not obvious? I'm sorry but I vote with my money and I only pay for what I want. And what I want is corrective ending. No buts, no exceptions.

I would be insulted if they expect people to pay to let them fix their own mess, what ever comes out should be thought of as a story patch and should be free, they can pull the money from advertising to pay for it.

Top Bottom