• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Tacitus_

I'm glad that there are only a few indoctrinated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnCWct1HuRdkdE9yTHRwUE1ROXpXQURYbkg5Uk5XMWc

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? R/G/B
  • How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)
    • Please describe why you feel this way.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N
  • Have you played previous ME games? Y/N
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy?

1) Green
2) Dislike
3) Introduces an additional deus ex machina at the last 5 minutes, undoes your efforts during the game, you can't refuse the bullshit, a/b/c ending etc
4) no
5) no
6) no
7) yes
8) 1,2,3
9) 2

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? G
  • How do you feel about the ending? Neutral
    This was directly after the ending. Internet opinion has changed my opinion. It kinda gives closure. Deus Ex Machina endings are cheap though. Plotholes rubbed me the wrong way.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? N
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? N
  • Have you played previous ME games? Y
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? ME1

def sim

Yeah, I'm far too jaded to expect a free ending revision if they're making one. I mean, it'd be great but that's not happening.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just play any other number of boring cover based shooters.

TPS is probably my favorite genre. I'm not aware of the shooters that involve charging through walls into people, using powers to levitate enemies in midair, using a sniper to headshot said levitated enemy, etc. Please tell me them!

And on top of that, the DLC for ME games, sans ME1's Pinnacle Station and to an extent ME2's Arrival have all been excellent. Whatever it is, it won't just be a standard shooting mission.

ME3 GAF Poll

What color did you pick? R/G/B
How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)

Please describe why you feel this way.
It's not the greatest ending and there's a lot of problem with the epilogue parts but I didn't feel it was as bad as people make it out to be. There are plenty of plot holes, inconsistency throughout the series so this is just one more.

Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No

In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N
Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N
Have you played previous ME games? Y/N
In what order have you played the games? 1, 2 and then 3 in the order they came out.
Favorite game in the trilogy? ME3

Hartt951

You have no quarrels with purchasing DLC of corrective nature?
There's nothing wrong with that.

Bioware is a business and the most important thing is the bottom line. In order to give us a new ending they would have to pay the staff working on the new ending, get the voice actors back to record new dialogue, write a new story, design all the set pieces for the ending and so much more. It's not an easy fix; it's expensive and complicated and I understand that and am willing to pay for them to create what I want.

free ending dlc would be like, good customer service/fan support, so it'll never happen.

It would be the most successful advert in games, rather then pay thought the noise for Felicia Day cosplay, give gamers this and turn some of this negative focus around.

But like you, I can't see them doing it.

Replicant

I don't think you understand what you are saying.

I would be insulted if they expect people to pay to let them fix their own mess, what ever comes out should be thought of as a story patch and should be free, they can pull the money from advertising to pay for it.

You guys think it's going to be free? LOL. I think that's placing too much faith on EA and Bioware.

I just want to get rid of this bad taste of an ending out of my mind. I'll pay if necessary then I don't have to worry about Bioware games anymore. If it's free, well, then maybe they'll regain me back as a customer for future games.

rdrr gnr

I'm glad this is the standard expectation: They are a business; therefore, fucking the consumer is inevitable. Pathetic. Purchasing corrective DLC makes you part of the problem.

I guess I'm entitled or whatever.

You guys think it's going to be free? LOL. I think that's placing too much faith on EA and Bioware.

I just want to get rid of this bad taste of an ending out of my mind. I'll pay if necessary then I don't have to worry about Bioware games anymore. If it's free, well, then maybe they'll regain me back as a customer for future games.
I think they should, for the reason you say at the end, this whole thing could loose them some fans (game and merch buyers), pay DLC might be enough to turn this, but if I was in charge at BW (Which I'm not) I would take a the short term financial hit make it free in hopes of not souring long term business.

• What color did you pick? Red
  • How do you feel about the ending? Dislike
  • Why? Out of the left field, no closure, completely throws away the possible decisions you can make throughout the game. No matter the way you resolve certain conflicts, it doesn't matter, because apparently Ghost Kid says there's only one way this shit can end.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Yes
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Yes (but it should be free)
  • Have you played previous ME games? Yes
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Mass Effect 2

And I watched the ending to Battlestar Galactica yesterday. That shit felt a lot more 'right' than the ME3 ending, imo. It provided fucking closure.

Here's the link. It's not updated completely. If anyone wants to help update and reorganize it, please PM me your gmail.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnCWct1HuRdkdE9yTHRwUE1ROXpXQURYbkg5Uk5XMWc

ME3 GAF Poll

No closure. I wanted to see what happens to all my friends.
  • In what order have you played the games? One, two and three
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Three

My answers

Tacitus_

This television I bought doesn't work. I'm going to mail Samsung a check for a new one.

I'm voting with my dollar, you see?

Oh please. The game works and the gameplay is awesome. The ending is just utter shit.
If you want to compare to something, compare it to a movie that had a better ending in the Directors Cut.

Hartt951

I'm glad this is the standard expectation: They are a business; therefore, fucking the consumer is inevitable. Pathetic. Purchasing corrective DLC makes you part of the problem.

I guess I'm entitled or whatever.

They didn't fuck anyone. There is a big difference from a product created and intended to facilitate a goal and a story meant to entertain. I hate the ending just as much as anyone else but we can't get a shitty movie ending or a shitty book ending to be changed, why should Bioware have to change the end of their story for free? The programmers, artists, designers, writers, and voice actors all need to get paid, we can't expect them to create a new story for us for free. That is asinine.

rdrr gnr

They didn't fuck anyone. There is a big difference from a product created and intended to facilitate a goal and a story meant to entertain. I hate the ending just as much as anyone else but we can't get a shitty movie ending or a shitty book ending to be changed, why should Bioware have to change the end of their story for free? The programmers, artists, designers, writers, and voice actors all need to get paid, we can't expect them to create a new story for us for free. That is asinine.
EA is a multi-billion dollar company. Mass Effect 3's final numbers will be solid. No one is expecting beautifully rendered 10-minute cut-scenes and hours worth of new content with all new animations and acting. Whatever they release that seeks -- specifically -- to address the ending complaints should be free. And taking a hit and showing good faith towards customers is as sound of a business practice as anything else. Anyone willing to throw another $10 - $15 at EA and Bioware solely for a new ending (or explanation) is a shill.

rdrr gnr

What does it make us if we're perfectly fine with not receiving a revised ending?
I'm in that camp and have been since I finished the game. I would be less outraged by them not altering the ending than them altering the ending and expecting me to pay for it.

Edit: I've even said a YouTube video with some explanations and dialogue would do just fine. Anyone who thinks this content-initiative will satiate the disappointed masses is insane. If anything, whatever is coming will instigate a second wave of criticism.
Oh please. The game works and the gameplay is awesome. The ending is just utter shit.
If you want to compare to something, compare it to a movie that had a better ending in the Directors Cut.
You're probably right. I'd argue about whether or not the gameplay was awesome, however.

GorillaJu

I would buy other DLC if an elaborated ending patch was free. As it is, unless there's exceedingly strong word of mouth enthusiasm for it, I will more than likely not but any ME3 DLC.

I feel like a lot of others would be with me in this.

Dresden

I would have paid for an ending dlc like a week or so after beating it, but now . . . Witcher 2 EE is almost here, Diablo III following close, Dragon's Dogma on its heels after that. Meanwhile there may or may not be a PC edition of Dark Souls. Also, Alpha Protocol sits invitingly on my backlog.

I've moved on. Fuck Bioware.

Lime

Between Journey, Stacking, the Double Fine adventure + Wasteland 2 kickstarters, and the upcoming Witcher 2 EE, I'm just too happy and content to let Bioware fuck me over with paid DLC. ME3 has shown to be the worst consumer treatment between day-1 DLC, no gamepad support, 360 assets+textures, no mod support, that I simply won't support Bioware with my money, unless they do some CDProjekt RED level of fan support (Mass Effect 3 EE)

I would have paid for an ending dlc like a week or so after beating it, but now . . . Witcher 2 EE is almost here, Diablo III following close, Dragon's Dogma on its heels after that. Meanwhile there may or may not be a PC edition of Dark Souls. Also, Alpha Protocol sits invitingly on my backlog.

I've moved on. Fuck Bioware.
This is pretty much me yeah. Cant even be bothered to replay ME3, because i feel i got everything i've wanted out of it in my only playthrough.

randomwab

ME3 GAF Poll

I think the entire ending needed a lot more time devoted to it ingame, if only to give Shepard, or more realistically the player, a chance to listen, question and digest. As it is, they throw a lot of huge details at you within the closing minutes of the game and you're given no time to reflect on your actions before being forced to choose.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/no
  • In what order have you played the games? 1>2> 3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? 1

Pretty much my feelings.

I honestly wonder how the reaction would have been if they had ended the game with Shepard and Anderson opening the Citadel with a plan for an expanded ending in DLC. I honestly think they would have gotten away with a lot less hate than they did introducing the Starchild and the choices.

JerkShep

ME3 GAF Poll
  • What color did you pick? R
    I'm not against a Galaxy Dark Age, but the Catalyst speech creates too many plot holes, the choices are badly explained and the Synthesis ending is "space magic" at its fullest. The ending movies are badly done, recycled, they feel rushed and underdeveloped. The Normandy part does not make any sense
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? ME2

Lime

Might as well follow the pack.

ME3 GAF Poll
  • How do you feel about the ending? Hate
    A staggering display of incompetence considering the intuitive flaws with much of the intro and ending. For a multi-million dollar collaborative development milieu, the irresponsible and incompetent behaviour is inexcusable

Zomba13

ME3 GAF Poll

I feel like Bioware lied about how our choices would matter in the end, and how we'd get our questions answered and here would be a lot of different endings. It's also full of plot holes, doesn't really make sense and is like, completely the opposite of the rest of the series (from the heaven elevator onward)
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No(I want to but I know Bioware didn't plan it at all.)

Bowdz

ME3 GAF Poll
  • How do you feel about the ending? Strongly Dislike
    The game abandoned key themes of the series including personal choice at the last minute, failed to tie up ANY of the loose ends, created a multitude of questions with poor writing and plot holes, and characters are shoehorned into acting contrary to their character. It is sad that there will always be an addendum when I talk about how great ME3 is.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No, but I want to believe.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? It depends entirely on Bioware's response to the Retake ME movement.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? In a heartbeat.
  • Have you played previous ME games? Yes.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? ME3 > ME1 > ME2

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? B
    Deus ex machina, all choices from the 3 games go to hell
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? 2

Lime

Funny how almost all of the people filling out the "survey" all have played 1-2-3 in that order. It really speaks volumes about what the entry point of the series is.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Friggen sheep.

ME3 GAF Poll

Disregard for lore, thematically inconsistent narrative, textbook poor storytelling (introduction of a new character at the climax, deus ex mechina, vague, etc), disregards series long tradition of choice and consequence, disregard for fan investment into universe and characters. Everything from the floating platform is a depressing storytelling mess.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y (Buy? I say 'yes', but honestly, I can't say yes for certain. And this is coming from me.)
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Cannot answer. Depends my mood, and what elements we're talking about. All have huge pros and huge cons.

Rapstah

Comparing my ME2 and ME3 faces, I can't believe how much I fucked up the parts of the ME3 editor that I had to enter myself after that site gave me most of the values. My ME3 Shepard looks like ME2 Shepard's mom.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
ME3 GAF Poll

• How do you feel about the ending?
    Hate it but couldn't care less what they do about it now, the damage is done.
    They said there would be an "off" switch for the reapers and what do ya know, that's exactly what it was. Plus, numerous gigantic plotholes, the ending that doesn't give enough closure, and it just doesn't make sense. It fits Deus Ex type of game but it doesn't fit Mass Effect
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)?
    I did at first because I was desperate to believe anything but what we got, besides that would be giving Bioware too much credit, I don't believe in idoc theory anymore
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? NEVER!!
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Nope!
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Story of ME1 and Gameplay of ME2

I think they should, for the reason you say at the end, this whole thing could loose them some fans (game and merch buyers), pay DLC might be enough to turn this, but if I was in charge at BW (Which I'm not) I would take a the short term financial hit make it free in hopes of not souring long term business.

The fact that they took out an important character so they could charge for him in DAY 1 DLC should tell you what Bioware would do with the ending DLC, that is IF they are going to release one, which I doubt they would.

Kabouter

The fact that they took out an important character so they could charge for him in DAY 1 DLC should tell you what Bioware would do with the ending DLC, that is IF they are going to release one, which I doubt they would.

Really, you preferred the gameplay of ME2 over that of ME3? I thought ME2 a big improvement over ME1 in terms of combat, but I thought ME3 improved on it some more.

TheYanger

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? B
    • Because it supplied no closure, had enormous plotholes, and generally came completely out of left field.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? N - I would never BUY it. If it's not free, they can enjoy my ability to watch youtube videos and piece my own ending together, assuming it even cares about any choices made anywhere in the series.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? 1. 3 if the ending wasn't so awful.

ME3 GAF Poll

• What color did you pick? Blue
  • How do you feel about the ending? Utterly lost for words. Nonsensical and disappointing.
    • Please describe why you feel this way. Nonsensical is the key word here. I've watched a ton of material on that ending from various sources and it's filled with apparent plot holes. I feel "robbed" after playing these games for all these years. Like someone stole some part of me (sounds silly, I know...but ME is my #1 franchise so it hurts a lot).
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Honestly...I don't know.Seems legit, but I can't put my finger on it whether I believe in it or not.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Probably...
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Probably. :/
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2 (100% cheevos, 3-4 play throughs) and 3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? ME2 by far. My favorite game of all time.

ME3 GAF Poll

* What color did you pick? R/G/B
* How do you feel about the ending? Like/Dislike/Hate/Neutral (Indifferent)
o Please describe why you feel this way.
* Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? Yes/No
* In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Y/N
* Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Y/N
* Have you played previous ME games? Y/N
* In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3
* Favorite game in the trilogy?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1)Red
2)Hate
The ending completely did away with the lore of what made Mass Effect, Mass Effect. We're introduced to this new character in the last 5 minutes of the game, and it ultimately gave us 3 choices which were 99% similar to each other. No closure, no answers. Instead it created more questions.
3)Hard to say...a lot of it seems to make sense, so I will say yes for now.
4)Yes
5)Yes
6)Yes
7)Played them in order (1, 2, 3)
8)Mass Effect 3 (the ending being absolutely shit doesn't change that the other 98% of the game was absolutely amazing)

elfinke

ME3 GAF Poll

What color did you pick? R
How do you feel about the ending? Dislike
Please describe why you feel this way. Removal of meaningful player agency, coming at the very end of a series of games that prided itself and hung all of its hats on it, was too much.
Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No, but it is a nice interpretation of events in the same way Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet is a nice interpretation - it's not entirely right, and it's missing some important details, but the music is great and editing suave.
In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Not a chance, even if I win lotto this weekend. DLC free since '93.
Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? No, See above answer.
Have you played previous ME games? Y
In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3
Favorite game in the trilogy? 1, by far.

ME3 GAF Poll

• How do you feel about the ending? It was the worst thing i've ever seen
    It didnt fit the rest of the game at all, gave no closure, i hate speculation, even if its for everyone. Also, destroying your entire universe is a pretty dumb move.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No. I only heard about it after i saw the design napkin for the ending, which pretty much confirmed that Bioware made this ending intentionally.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? ? No, unless they pull out an ending that is absolutely amazing. No way i will buy it before getting confirmation from players that it's a good ending, because the press cant be trusted.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? See above.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Up to final five minutes ME3 is by far the best in the series. Because of the ending i'll have to say ME2 though.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Really, you preferred the gameplay of ME2 over that of ME3? I thought ME2 a big improvement over ME1 in terms of combat, but I thought ME3 improved on it some more.

What I meant to say was that I preferred the gameplay of ME2 over ME1, I only mentioned those 2 because overall I like those 2 better than the third. But yeah, ME3 gameplay was better than 2. I like sliding into cover and melee'ing guys over the cover (the Uncharted way), works amazing in multiplayer, too.

• What color did you pick? B but wished I hadn't; playing through trilogy again to make it my main play through in which I'll pick R
    Offers no closure; adds more questions than it answers. The outcomes are too similar in terms of what we get to see (though in the universe they'd be pretty different; controlled Reapers vs everyone being half synthetic vs no synthetics at all...) Whole thing isn't really affected by any of the decisions you made through the trilogy. The destruction of the mass relays is pretty silly.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No. I don't think BioWare planned for us to be indoctrinated, but they could easily retcon the ending with that excuse as in a way it would actually make sense.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? Yes
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? Yes (as the red option pretty much proves they wanted to do more after the game anyway, probably as the "real" ending)
  • In what order have you played the games? 1 > 2 > 3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? ME3/ME1 > ME2

Derrick01

Banned
  • Favorite game in the trilogy?

1. Red
2. Hated it. It ruined the entire series and in the process left giant plot holes and retconns.
3. No I don't believe in the indoctrination theory.
4. Yeah I'll likely end up buying all of the story/mission DLC. I'm a whore.
5. Yes. If it was $5 or less.
6. Yes, played them all.
7. 1, 2, 3
8. Mass Effect 1 is my favorite. 3 is good, and 2 is one of the worst games I've played this generation.

Ruuppa

ME3 GAF Poll

• How do you feel about the ending? Disappointment. The building blocks were all there, but it didn't deliver.
    The ending completely deflates every choice you made during the game, every quest and asset you gathered is made useless. The choice to introduce a new character at the last minute is mindboggling: He had no place there, no buildup, no nothing. The Reapers themselves were ominous and evil enough to be left as is, but giving them a God/Creator like this cripples their menace. Not to mention the plotholes the Spacechild creates.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No, albeit there are some signs it was being planned, but wasn't followed through. Shame.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? ? No.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? No. The keyword for this and the previous question is "Buy". I will not support that.
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? ME3 until the space elevator. ME2 afterwards.

Alright, here's my take:

ME3 GAF Poll

• How do you feel about the ending? Hate it
    Thematically inconsistent, out of character behaviour, massive plotholes, negates all player choice for the most part, endings are almost identical, no closure is provided.
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No, this strikes me as people grasping at straws, and can be more easily explained away by laziness and/or bad writing
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? No
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? No, this would mean I would be rewarding EA & Bioware for their failure the first time around
  • In what order have you played the games? ME2, (watched playthrough of ME1), ME3
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? Hard for me to say at this point.

tw1164

Has Bioware talked about how all the alien fleets get home? If everyone is stuck in the Sol system won't a war over resources eventually breakout?

ME3 GAF Poll

• How do you feel about the ending? Hate it
  • Are you indoctrinated (believe in the theory)? No.
  • In general will you buy ME3 DLC? No.
  • Would you buy a revised interactive ending DLC? No.
  • In what order have you played the games? 1, 2, 3.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? ME1. ME3 is clearly my least favorite and it was even before the ending.

Rufus

Friggen sheep.
Baaah.

ME3 GAF Poll

Shit don't make no sense. Deus Ex-Style choices don't fit this game. No closure whatsoever. Instead of tying it up nicely they forced the book shut to be done with the franchise (for now). "Lot's of speculation from everyone", i.e. vague for no reason. Not wanting to answer every question would have been fine if it didn't introduce new problems, then tried (and failed) to resolve them. We don't need to know everything about the reapers, except that one thing that makes them look like idiots.
  • Favorite game in the trilogy? 1

Top Bottom