• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Violet_0

Banned
There is probably a ME3 save editor out there. May not have all items flagged, but you may be able to tweak things if you really want.

Why are you in the spoiler thread?

ha, wrong thread, my bad!

and yeah, looks like I'll have to import a ME2 save file anyway, found a site with the default choices details and I'm not liking them

spekkeh

Banned
I still can't believe the message that comes up at the end of the game.

Yeah totally lame. Also that you are suddenly back on the Normandy from before the cerberus mission. I get that that's needed for the DLC, but it completely screws with what just happened.

Myomoto

Well even if it took hours, that's four ly in a few hours. It can't be much more, because it's obviously okay to do all this scanning and flying around without my team suddenly growing long beards and the extinction of the galaxy all but over.
(fuel seems to be a problem in the ME universe though)

In the codex it is stated that FTL drives can create mass effect fields that raise the speed of light locally with about a factor of 200, but this is only sustainable for about 50 hours (a little longer on lighter ships, a little shorter on heavier) before they need to discharge their eezo core. If this isn't done an enormous electrical discharge will be sent through the ship, killing everybody on board and frying all of the electronics on the ship.

Another interesting point is that if the FTL-drive fails during transit, the ship will instantly drop to a speed of c, and radiate all excess energy off in Cherenkov radiation, effectively frying everybody on the ship in an ocean of high-energy radiation.

Wait, Normandy SR1? This can HARDLY be canon.

Things just went up a notch, it seems Amazon.co.uk has pulled Mass Effect from their store :-

Ug1ZO.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mass-Effect-3-Xbox-360/dp/B004T8C3NG

Now with it being 1st April there is always a chance this could be a "joke" but I find it hard to believe the largest retailer on the net would do a joke about this.

DTKT

Things just went up a notch, it seems Amazon.co.uk has pulled Mass Effect from their store :-

Ug1ZO.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mass-Effect-3-Xbox-360/dp/B004T8C3NG

Now with it being 1st April there is always a chance this could be a "joke" but I find it hard to believe the largest retailer on the net would do a joke about this.

This is just getting silly. Yes the ending is bad but that doesn't warrant these kind of actions.

God dammit Internet, that's why you are terrible sometimes.

I was thinking back on the Geth/Quarian decision. That might be the best and toughest decision I have made in a game. If only the game's ending was more like that. Really well done.

Bowdz

I was thinking back on the Geth/Quarian decision. That might be the best and toughest decision I have made in a game. If only the game's ending was more like that. Really well done.

I'm on my second playthrough and in my ME2 save, Legion died so full peace between the two wasn't an option. I forgot that Legion needed to survive to get the option so I chose to help the Geth only to watch the Quarians die. It was depressing to go around the Normandy and hear everyone mourning the loss of Tali, but ultimately, it was a great example of the type of choices ME3's ending should have had. You needed to play everything perfectly to be able to save both races, so there was incentive to game back to previous games and get it right, and if you had to save one race over the other, it was very bittersweet because of the emotional ties that player had to both Tali, Legion, and both races.

A lot of people didn't min/max paragon and renegade in Mass Effect 2 which could potentially cost them Tali's loyalty and the conflict between her and Legion. Which would then cost them the war between the Geth and Quarians.At a point I admire those people for choosing whatever dialogue option they wanted. But then I wonder are these people bipolar IRL.

How was reuniting the Quarians and the Geth a tough decision?

Even if you could unite them, it was not obvious at all when Legion asks you if you want to upload that the quarian fleet would back off - or that Tali would ask you again to stop this.

I stayed in front of the screen, with the question "Does this unit have a soul", and great music in the background, for a little while. I don't know if leaving Legion's question in background (instead of 'should i go ahead with upload?' or something akin to this) was intentional, but i personally thought it was brilliant. It felt like you were ultimately deciding what the right answer to that question was.

edit: I think it's also better done than the krogan decision. In Tuchanka, unlike the geth/quarian decision, I feel you're more likely to be conflicted if you played well so far. If there are any fuck ups, say Eve is dead and Wreav leads the Krogan, I feel that helping the krogan sounds much more dangerous and I probably would have happily fooled them. If the krogan are as dangerous as history showed, in case things go well, you're relying entirely on Wrex and Eve convincing their people to be diplomatic from now on - something which they haven't really shown until that point (unlike the geth).

Syril

To join them you had to play carefully, a lot of people are forced to kill one of them off.

The exact conditions are that Tali and Legion both have to survive ME2 with their loyalty intact, and Tali has to be exonerated so she can serve as an admiral. Then you have to either have killed the Geth heretics OR completed both optional missions on Rannoch, presumably so the Flotilla trusts you enough to cease fire.

spekkeh

Banned
A lot of people didn't min/max paragon and renegade in Mass Effect 2 which could potentially cost them Tali's loyalty and the conflict between her and Legion. Which would then cost them the war between the Geth and Quarians.At a point I admire those people for choosing whatever dialogue option they wanted. But then I wonder are these people bipolar IRL.

What? Always choosing paragon or renegade seems like the psychopathic thing to do, like when you are actually roleplaying, and not just 'gaming' the game.

The exact conditions are that Tali and Legion both have to survive ME2 with their loyalty intact, and Tali has to be exonerated so she can serve as an admiral. Then you have to either have killed the Geth heretics OR completed both optional missions on Rannoch, presumably so the Flotilla trusts you enough to cease fire.

This stuff is pretty cool, out of all the ME1/2 through line this should have been the formula.

What? Always choosing paragon or renegade seems like the psychopathic thing to do, like when you are actually roleplaying, and not just 'gaming' the game.
It's the famous problem w/ BW games, some choices are blocked unless you only pick all Evil or all Good.

As you day it limits you on most choices but artificially opens a few special ones.

Myomoto

To join them you had to play carefully, a lot of people are forced to kill one of them off.

I know that, I was just deliberately rubbing it in his face.

I never min/max'd paragon or renegade in either of the mass effect games, and I almost always managed to meet the requirements for dialogue choices. That said, the reputation system in ME3 is a VAST improvement over that in the previous 2 games.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah although I get why they have the system in place, and that pure renegades would be more convincing in their er, renegadeness, it weirdly punishes you for adding nuance to your roleplaying.

Do we know how the writing get split up in ME? I would love to know who wrote the Geth/Quarian missions (in particular the fighter base and Rannoch's ending)

I don't know, alternating between space jesus to king of assholes constantly enough to mess up your meter seems far more psychopathic.

I don't know, alternating between space jesus to king of assholes constantly enough to mess up your meter seems far more psychopathic.

I played straight paragon the entire time but also took every renegade interrupt, mostly because the person either deserved it or it was a standoff and I thought something bad would happen if I didn't pull the trigger.

I love the people who go completely 100% paragon and complain about the end because they needed to do the Renegade interrupt or else they'd die.

Yeah, I had to choose between Tali and Legion and either option presented a great betrayal to that character that I liked. I felt like Legion had the moral high ground, but in the end, I felt like I couldn't risk an alliance with the Geth and I happen to like Tali more, so Legion got the shaft.

I have never second-guessed a decision I made in a game as much as that one. For all the ripping on Bioware for the ending (pretty much deserved) they have to get major kudos for how they handled this one.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

99% of the time I find myself leaning naturally towards paragon anyway. I want to bring people together and be reasonable. I usually have to deliberately try to be the lord arsehole/renegade prick to actually pick those choices.

That being said, if I feel like a non-paragon choice reflects my personality better, I'll pick them. Often the games do acknowledge these choices as viable. Mordin's loyalty mission in ME2 is a good example of this. The "MORDIN YOU ARE A GENOCIDAL MAD MAN" options are where the paragon choices would normally be, but the middle ground choices, that neither condone nor dismiss the genophoage, reward you with points as well. ME1/ME2 are not as binary in their paragon/renegade point handing as people probably think.

Except for the red/blue dialogue choices. Those are pretty clear cut.

I played straight paragon the entire time but also took every renegade interrupt, mostly because the person either deserved it or it was a standoff and I thought something bad would happen if I didn't pull the trigger.
Oh, same here. The ship pilot in Garrus' mission? Of course I stabbed him in the back. That mech I saw in the scope? Course I shot it in the head. That guy in Nassana's tower? Course I pushed him out the window. But that's not really enough points to mess you up.

I love the people who go completely 100% paragon and complain about the end because they needed to do the Renegade interrupt or else they'd die.
Did you have to sit through the entirety of that stupid conversation with Anderson/TIM/Shep... AGAIN?!

: (

Stupid 5 random renegade point that I got for reasons beyond my comprehension... Why?! WHY?! I knew I should have reloaded that entire mission...

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Only time I was renegade in the game was when I shot TIM. That motherfucker frustrated me for too long.

Dresden

I just said fuck it and did whatever I wanted, which ended up with me pulling renegade prompts on everything while paragon'ing most of the dialogue options.

Sounds like they didn't actually play full paragon. TIM killing himself doesn't really depend on you leaning fully on one direction, well at least I was under the assumption that it didn't. Instead it depended on how you interacted with him in every conversation of ME3. Whether you chose the charm or intimidate options in every conversation.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
There's a ton on BSN. If you fail to convince TIM you need to do the Renegade Interrupt to kill him, or else he kills you.

To be fair, you need to do the paragon/renegade option in every single conversation with him before that, including one that's apparently hidden behind an investigation option on Mars the first time you see him.

Potential April Fool's warning yadda yadda.

Also, Lance Henrickson, the voice for Admiral Hackett, was at some Swedish Sci-fi festival, and supposedly said that though he can't talk about the ending, Bioware is planning something big and amazing for PAX.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...iksen-Hackett039s-voice-actor-10869458-1.html

Like the warning says, could be April Fool's day related stuff, so take with a reaper-sized grain of skepticism.

edit:
Only time I was renegade in the game was when I shot TIM. That motherfucker frustrated me for too long.

I mashed RT to kill Udina.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Kai Leng got renegaded hard by me. Was so satisfying.

What happens if you don't use the renegade option there?

That whole scene made no sense either. Why would everyone just turn around and not make sure he was dead. Let's all go stare at the sun!

We are many.

That said, it's a really bad place. Don't go there.

The same goes for pretty much any equivalent too. The Halo community on Bungie.net, also terrible fan fiction speculation garbage.

Sounds like they didn't actually play full paragon. TIM killing himself doesn't really depend on you leaning fully on one direction, well at least I was under the assumption that it didn't. Instead it depended on how you interacted with him in every conversation of ME3. Whether you chose the charm or intimidate options in every conversation.

Yep, ME3 has the best system in the series with there just being one big dialogue skill bar and paragon and renegade stack on top of each other. Even if your bar is 99% paragon you will still get the option to do the special renegade choices.

Prologue

Imagine if BW originally went with the IT but made more subtle hints during the game. Control/Synthesis ends the way it does but you keep playing if you picked the destroy option and finish the game within an hour or two.. I think a lot more people would have been applauding.

Karl2177

I mashed RT to kill Udina.

Udina, Kai Leng, TIM, that one merc on Illium, the insane guy in the shack on Eden Prime are the immediate one that come to mind. ME3 did make the renegade options a bit more satisfying, with the exception of pushing the merc out of the window in ME2.

Zomba13

That whole scene made no sense either. Why would everyone just turn around and not make sure he was dead. Let's all go stare at the sun!

You dodge and then stab him.

Everyone didn't bother even though they could hear him because Leng is a fucking waste of space and could be beaten by a baby Hanar.

I had to ask a friend so I might be wrong but if you don't punch though his sword then you just end up dodging as it plunges though the console.

I only had a few renegade prompts come up for me but I tried to take them even though I was playing paragon. Shooting udina and punching though leng's sword are the only two I really remember.

Edit: Anyone have a good suggestion for ME3 spoiler ridden podcasts? Every one I listen two is like "Don't want to spoil it yet" or "Space babies are entitled little punks and we won't talk about how the ending sucks."

hao chi

I had to ask a friend so I might be wrong but if you don't punch though his sword then you just end up dodging as it plunges though the console.

I only had a few renegade prompts come up for me but I tried to take them even though I was playing paragon. Shooting udina and punching though leng's sword are the only two I really remember.

Edit: Anyone have a good suggestion for ME3 spoiler ridden podcasts? Every one I listen two is like "Don't want to spoil it yet" or "Space babies are entitled little punks and we won't talk about how the ending sucks."

Haha, I was starting to think I was the only Paragon Shep that can't resist Renegade interrupts.

Top Bottom