• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
All three Mass Effect games 'punish' you severely for playing a certain way. But you can still play that way and make it through the game. Almost all, if not all, of ME2's most severe stat checks (paragon/renegade) still allow for at least two paths to be chosen: paragon and renegade. And yes, if you didn't go all in with one the choice would be locked off. That's because the paragon/renegade design is shit, and has been shit since the first game.

If you want everybody to live, everybody to feel good, and everybody to offer everything, you play pure paragon. That's the way Mass Effect is (stupidly) designed.

Nah. I can mix choices much more easily in 1 and 3 and still get access to the important red/blue options since they dont work on the percentage. And frankly the renegade shouldnt be able to get most people to work together cause being a tremendous douche nozzle is not how you get people on board to do anything. But then again, seeing how bioware approaches political dialogue, where being a screaming lunatic is suppose to get the council to believe you, it seems inevitable.

I just watched the encounter with Balak video on YouTube and most of the comments were complaining about how anticlimactic it was and how it could have been the perfect lead into him joining Shepard's squad. That could have been cool, they didn't have to portray him as the last highest ranking batarian officer on the Citadel, they could have had him joining Shepard's squad and it would be like Legion in ME2 except even cooler because Balak hates Shep's guts unlike Legion who was always a fanboy).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I just watched the encounter with Balak video on YouTube and most of the comments were complaining about how anticlimactic it was and how it could have been the perfect lead into him joining Shepard's squad. That could have been cool, they didn't have to portray him as the last highest ranking batarian officer on the Citadel, they could have had him joining Shepard's squad and it would be like Legion in ME2 except even cooler because Balak hates Shep's guts unlike Legion who was always a fanboy).

but if he hates your guts, why would he want to join? Why wouldnt he just stick with his soldiers?

Do you even need the dlc to meet Balak? Arent some of the sidequests with the Batarians you help out supoosed to be modifiers for the Batarian fleet he gives you?

but if he hates your guts, why would he want to join? Why wouldnt he just stick with his soldiers?

Because it'd be COOL. And I'm sure that there are plenty of instances in games where a party member hates the PC's guts but is forced to accompany him in the quest because of circumstances beyond his control.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Because it'd be COOL. And I'm sure that there are plenty of instances in games where a party member hates the PC's guts but is forced to accompany him in the quest because of circumstances beyond his control.

This horrible logic is why there are so many dumb things in this series already though. TBH, you should have had a batarian party member in 2.

As it stands the scene where Balak backs down because of your persuasion is already dumb. He just gives up and goes "Aaah" and gives you his ships. So lame. Wasted potential.

And it doesn't even have to be him who joins your crew. He could have sent one of his "best operatives" to join your squad or something as part of the deal of adding his fleet to yours.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
As it stands the scene where Balak backs down because of your persuasion is already dumb. He just gives up and goes "Aaah" and gives you his ships. So lame. Wasted potential.

And it doesn't even have to be him who joins your crew. He could have sent one of his "best operatives" to join your squad or something.

Well you want some build up on a character. Just giving you a random dude is kinda lame.

Much like James Vega? Or, much like Jarvik? If the premise and his dialogue is good then there's no need for a build up.

That hypothetical batarian squadmate might try to kill you later but you can Renegade/Paragon him out of it, and everyone learns a valuable lesson against space racism, much like most other confrontations in this series.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Even if it is 'clarified' I could have sworn someone on the forum posted a few weeks ago how modding the single player got them banned from Origin. EA's invasive and over controlling stance on Origin and Origin games guarantees nothing.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Much like James Vega? Or, much like Jarvik? If the premise and his dialogue is good then there's no need for a build up.

That hypothetical batarian squadmate might try to kill you later but you can Renegade/Paragon him out of it, and everyone learns a valuable lesson against space racism, much like most other confrontations in this series.

Javik doesnt need that cause he is the last living prothean and you have access to him from the start of the game. Same with James. You cant talk to Balak until after the Citadel is attacked.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
All three Mass Effect games 'punish' you severely for playing a certain way. But you can still play that way and make it through the game. Almost all, if not all, of ME2's most severe stat checks (paragon/renegade) still allow for at least two paths to be chosen: paragon and renegade. And yes, if you didn't go all in with one the choice would be locked off. That's because the paragon/renegade design is shit, and has been shit since the first game.

If you want everybody to live, everybody to feel good, and everybody to offer everything, you play pure paragon. That's the way Mass Effect is (stupidly) designed.

Which is a problem a lot of games have that let you choose either "good" or "evil" and I find to be really annoying, developers most of the time seem to think that because I am being "evil" or "renegade" that I want to miss out on a bunch of content because they design it in mind with "good" choices instead of starting it off neutral and having my actions dictate whether I was being "good" or "evil" in whatever circumstance.

Being "evil" or "renegade" shouldn't automatically mean I want to skip missions and such like, if there are going to be a whole bunch of "good" aligned quests in a game that an evil character can't do then there should be a whole bunch of "evil" quests that a good character can't do too.

Yeah I'm kind of curious about all the ME2 rwplacements.

Padok Wiks for Mordin.
Urdnot Dagg for Grunt.
Oriana for Miranda.
Samaras daughter for Samara and Morinth.
If there's no Kasumi the Hanar/STG mission plays out differently.
No Tali has Admiral Xen and Raan taking her place.
No Legion gives you Geth VI.
No Jack gives you random teacher.
No Than leaves Kirahe or no one to defend the Salarian Councilor.

What about Garrus, Jacob and Zaaed?

Digoman

Even if it is 'clarified' I could have sworn someone on the forum posted a few weeks ago how modding the single player got them banned from Origin. EA's invasive and over controlling stance on Origin and Origin games guarantees nothing.

I think people who said it was clarified are confusing some posts.

Here is the thread:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/344/index/9917845/1

There's a first staff post, from 16 days ago, that says you're only banned for MP modding. But there is a new one, from today, that says "To confirm, YES you will be banned if Origin picks up that you modified SP which it scans for on ME3 launch. Locked."

Yay for EA and Bioware.

I rather do like the Dragon Age series.

Pity I won't be buying DA3 now.

No, guys, this is a big thing for me.

I like DA like I like Halloween.

Halloween.

Cthulhu with a Headcrab is my fucking avatar.

Being able to use any weapon with equal proficenciy was a gameplay contrivance that still holds merit for class changes. You are not going to be an adept holding a sniper, shotgun, and assault rifle if you actually plan to use their biotics. It impacts playstyle but keeps each class versatile.

Do you not consider JRPGs to be RPGs? I'm playing Tales of Graces f right now and every single element of character building is all for combat, there's zero choice and the actual world map has a lot of invisible walls and is linear by nature. I guess I bless Call of Duty for apparently leading this movement. Mass Effect may not meet your checklist of personal wants, but that does not mean it somehow is no longer an RPG.

Is it a JRPG where you have no stats to improve, you just upgrade equipment and spells?

From what I remember of playing those games usually they have a host of character stats that inform the combat that develop over time, so the character development focus is elsewhere.

There's very little of that in ME3 though (or ME2 for that matter); you don't have any attributes or weapon proficiencies, the most you have is generic improvements (i.e. increase weapon/power damage by 20% or whatever) condensed into one class skill and Fitness for defense/hp.

I mean at least in ME1 you had to invest in specific weapon proficiencies which fed into into the combat, as well as armor proficiencies, medical, etc...

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Padok Wiks for Mordin.
Urdnot Dagg for Grunt.
Oriana for Miranda.

Considering the lack of Morinth in my Renegade play through besides a few random entries in that level along with an email and that banshee, I think having Samara die or choosing Morinth plays out the same way.
At least I assume so.

National Public Radio's On the Media actually had a segment on today's broadcast about the ending.

MAJOR WARNING - The actual segment is somewhat light on ME3 spoilers but completely spoils the entire end to RED DEAD REDEMPTION if you haven't played it - MAJOR WARNING

I'm trying to avoid ME3 spoilers as I've yet to play the game, so I'm just jumping in and out of the thread to tell anyone if they were interested in listening to it. I apologize if it's been mentioned before. I know it's like beating a dead horse, but I thought it was kind of cool/interesting/odd that a national news radio broadcast focused on the national media did a story on it.

Padok Wiks for Mordin.
Urdnot Dagg for Grunt.
Oriana for Miranda.

Garrus doesn't get a replacement, and Jacob gets replaced by some other generic black guy. There's a few extra lines for each, but nothing major.

Oh, and on Palaven Liara stays with you the entire time instead of going back to the ship.

What type of ban? Banned from multiplayer or banned from playing the game like that one guy was locked out because he got banned on Bioware's forum? If they ban me from multiplayer I don't care, but if I get locked out from Origin, I'm gonna be pissed off.

I can't stand the multiplayer and now I can't modify the coal file? It's the exact opposite of how I play, slow, careful, and with teamwork, and the matches are horribly laggy. Can't count the amount of times I spent running forward, then teleported back, then back forward, and end up no where.

Dany

Banned
National Public Radio's On the Media actually had a segment on today's broadcast about the ending.

MAJOR WARNING - The actual segment is somewhat light on ME3 spoilers but completely spoils the entire end to RED DEAD REDEMPTION if you haven't played it - MAJOR WARNING

I'm trying to avoid ME3 spoilers as I've yet to play the game, so I'm just jumping in and out of the thread to tell anyone if they were interested in listening to it. I apologize if it's been mentioned before. I know it's like beating a dead horse, but I thought it was kind of cool/interesting/odd that a national news radio broadcast focused on the national media did a story on it.

What did they say?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Wow. I'm really curious how much the sales will drop off. I know most Bioware games' sales are made in the pre-order/launch window period, but ME3 dropped off (allegedly) some 70% the second week and 50% the third week. I wonder if the bad press will catch the eye of EA executives or if it will just be full steam ahead with DLC.

Rush the next one out in 12 months!

What did they say?

Audio link: http://www.onthemedia.org/2012/mar/30/new-endings/

The video game series Mass Effect has earned millions in sales and near-universal critical acclaim, but the series' conclusion, released this month, was met with howls of rage by gamers. Their gripe? They hated the ending. In response, the game's developers have promised to add additional content that would give fans "more closure." Brooke talks to Grantland's Tom Bissell about whether or not dissatisfied gamers are entitled to a new ending.

MAJOR WARNING: Again, Red Dead's ending is spoiled in the segment.

The only thing spoilerish they mention regarding ME3 is the different color of choices at the end and it's possible 'it was all a dream theory'. I have no context, since I've yet to play it. I'm not sure how spoilerish it is.

Wow. I'm really curious how much the sales will drop off. I know most Bioware games' sales are made in the pre-order/launch window period, but ME3 dropped off (allegedly) some 70% the second week and 50% the third week. I wonder if the bad press will catch the eye of EA executives or if it will just be full steam ahead with DLC.

That sounds a bit like a normal sales pattern for a so-called core game.

Dresden

Audio link: http://www.onthemedia.org/2012/mar/30/new-endings/

MAJOR WARNING: Again, Red Dead's ending is spoiled in the segment.

The only thing spoilerish they mention regarding ME3 is the different color of choices at the end and it's possible 'it was all a dream theory'. I have no context, since I've yet to play it. I'm not sure how spoilerish it is.

Bissell's still off on just why the ending is bad, but I've come to expect that from people who really aren't invested to the extent that most fans are.

DTKT

Pretty sure ME3 sold most of it's copies in the first two weeks.

Didn't they announce 3.5mil shipped? EA probably had higher expectations.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

I heard it yesterday. Someone posted the MP3 here and didn't put the warning.

Top Bottom