• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

He was the one that outed it being Mac and Casey IIRC. Either way, I hope the fans don't tear him up as he was a part of the best ME3 moments. It's completely fucked up that neither of the two that did the ending are going, they know damn well it's all people are going to ask about.

Ah, I thought people thought it was shitty because it was like throwing a lamb to the wolves; i think they are just trying to do damage control by sending someone whom the audience might like a bit more (which is shitty but not shitty towards Weekes in particular). I have not been to PAX, but no matter how much the ending sucked - i'll be honest (and perhaps a snob, but fuck it): i don't think the average attendee would lead to any constructive discussion with the dudes. It would be torches and pitchfork and it would be fucking boring.

is getting set ablaze
Where?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sad that Weekes, the writer that worked on some of the best moments in ME3, is getting set ablaze. Meanwhile Walters who made the worst contributions to the series in terms of writing, seems to be getting along just fine as far as we know.

He used to be a bright spot. He wrote Wrex/Garrus in 1 and Garrus in 2.

I really DON'T think Bioware gives a fuck about making the best product possible because they DIDN'T. If it meant that much to them, they'd have executed better. That is bit of a simplification but as a company, they have shown over the past few years that they care less and less about putting out the best product possible to us as consumers.

My only complaint with this is BioWare itself no longer exists in a vacuum. They are owned by EA. They are owned by shareholders. I doubt the guys working in the trenches at BioWare one day decided lets just churn out highly focus tested games as quickly as possible and tarnish our name with highly questionable ideas.

Take DAII. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in that pitch meeting. You really think they wanted to make that in 18 months? The corporate decree from above was probably ship DAII by March to boost our fiscal earnings report. You really think if they went to EA and said we really need three years to make DAII or ME3 the best possible product for our fans they wouldn't be laughed out of the room and or fired? They probably have John R. on speed dial with a copy of that $600 million dollar check ready to bitch slap anyone who steps out of line while pointing to the dead carcass that is Pandemic.

To answer another another poster's question, DAII was the canary in the coal mine for me. I lined up at midnight for it. Preordered the Signature edition sight unseen based on DA:O that, to me, represented KOTOR-era Bioware. It wasn't even that bad of a game but just lacked that BioWare polish both in gameplay and writing.

The whole irony for me is, looking back, my only problem with ME1 was bad texture loading and the confusing inventory.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
My only complaint with this is BioWare itself no longer exists in a vacuum. They are owned by EA. They are owned by shareholders. I doubt the guys working in the trenches at BioWare one day decided lets just churn out highly focus tested games as quickly as possible and tarnish our name with highly questionable ideas.

Take DAII. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in that pitch meeting. You really think they wanted to make that in 18 months? The corporate decree from above was probably ship DAII by March to boost our fiscal earnings report. You really think if they went to EA and said we really need three years to make DAII or ME3 the best possible product for our fans they wouldn't be laughed out of the room and or fired? They probably have John R. on speed dial with a copy of that $600 million dollar check ready to bitch slap anyone who steps out of line while pointing to the dead carcass that is Pandemic.

To answer another another poster's question, DAII was the canary in the coal mine for me. I lined up at midnight for it. Preordered the Signature edition sight unseen based on DA:O that, to me, represented KOTOR-era Bioware. It wasn't even that bad of a game but just lacked that BioWare polish both in gameplay and writing.

The whole irony for me is, looking back, my only problem with ME1 was bad texture loading and the confusing inventory.

Bioware was owned by someone before EA bought them. Its just, well, that company wasnt EA. Which helps.

You mean a dick head space ninja who works for cerberus. The thing is, if he had been introduced in 1 or 2 i think they would have let you kill him in the game he was first in thus creating the same problem. I dont think they could have resisted having a boss fight with him to satisfy the player instead of holding off.

He could've been a hook into the sequel the same way the illusive man was. I thought space Raiden was super cheesy and he had no character development or personality aside being pissy about not getting to fight Shepard like a generic assassin character.

His character seems like a missed opportunity for those not into the lore of the books the same way Reach was. A lot of casual Halo fans, ones who just play the games, had no clue what was going on with the story because it was poorly explained and I felt the same with space Raiden.

Hartt951

Sad that Weekes, the writer that worked on some of the best moments in ME3, is getting set ablaze. Meanwhile Walters who made the worst contributions to the series in terms of writing, seems to be getting along just fine as far as we know.
He'll probably be promoted to head writer of every Bioware game for the rest of forever.

If you guys think that Weekes is being sent without a script, I have a bridge to sell you.

Bioware was owned by someone before EA bought them. Its just, well, that company wasnt EA. Which helps.

Then you go into WHO owned them before EA.

John Richy, the guy who is now head of EA, used to be the head of the investment firm that "owned" BioWare.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
He'll probably be promoted to head writer of every Bioware game for the rest of forever.

Being a good character writer and a good lead are two different things. Walters was a fine character writer before he took over the series and sent the rollercoaster off to loopy landscapes.

Rufus

Kai-Leng, talk about 'ludo-narrative dissonance'.
The only reason why we couldn't kill him the first two times was because he was a) being covered by a fucking gunship and b) could somehow charge his shields out in the open. Not only is his character design stupid, but they destroy his entire image the moment you get to actually fight him.

Raxus

The only reason why we couldn't kill him the first two times was because he was a) being covered by a fucking gunship and b) could somehow charge his shields out in the open. Not only is his character design stupid, but they destroy his entire image the moment you get to actually fight him.

Hahaha. I agree. I saw the guy the first time and I thought 'my god what a pussy', then I fought him and thought 'my god this guy is such a pussy', and then I fought him I second time and thought 'man fighting 20 dudes at once is pretty challenging but KL is still a pussy'

I dunno how they failed so miserably with KL. Saren had one game to develop as a villain and he did it well. At least he didn't have to rely on invincibility to get by an encounter.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The best part is when someone described how they headshotted him and his head blew off... then in the cutscene where you stab him, his had is back on his body. lol

A very shitty move. Throwing him to the wolves. Give it a month tops and he'll either be fired, or demoted further until they force him out of the company.

As far as firing him, all other things being equal, it's probably the appropriate move. As much as we enjoy the honesty, revealing inner workings of the team without authorization, and especially throwing individual people under the bus (even though true) is fairly unprofessional behavior and deserving at least of some kind of disciplinary action. I mean I work on software and not games, but if I were to do something similar, I'd likely be fired. It is just not done.

Of course if it were a whistle blowing situation that would be different, but it isn't.

rozay

Banned
The best part is when someone described how they headshotted him and his head blew off... then in the cutscene where you stab him, his had is back on his body. lol
fuck Kai Leng, asshole fell through the floor the moment I killed him, had to redo the fight.

You guys had a much better time than I did with that battle, whenever he locked shepard into the QTE there was never a message telling me to repeatedly press B to fend off his sword attacks and I assumed that was just an instant-kill sequence like Banshees/Atlas/Brute attacks, so I had to complete the whole battle on insanity as a vanguard without getting close enough to him to trigger the QTE sequence :(

You guys had a much better time than I did with that battle, whenever he locked shepard into the QTE there was never a message telling me to repeatedly press B to fend off his sword attacks and I assumed that was just an instant-kill sequence like Banshees/Atlas/Brute attacks, so I had to complete the whole battle on insanity as a vanguard without getting close enough to him to trigger the QTE sequence :(

I don't think I ever triggered any QTE against him...

But I pretty much just spammed him with charge/nova over and over since he seems to have no defense for it.

As far as firing him, all other things being equal, it's probably the appropriate move. As much as we enjoy the honesty, revealing inner workings of the team without authorization, and especially throwing individual people under the bus (even though true) is fairly unprofessional behavior and deserving at least of some kind of disciplinary action. I mean I work on software and not games, but if I were to do something similar, I'd likely be fired. It is just not done.

Of course if it were a whistle blowing situation that would be different, but it isn't.

While I agree that this course of action is common and that they would be in their right to do so, I don't exactly think it is throwing Walters and Hudson under the bus if they caused something negative.

It's perhaps harsh, but i don't think it's that inflammatory.

He seemed to be involved a lot more in the story in the leak, working against you at every step, feeding Ashley/Kaidan false information to turn them against you. He was a complete little shit in the finished game.

I almost facepalmed when the achievement for beating him was "Defeat an old adversary." There was no where near enough development in his character to classify him as that.

Funny you mention that. When I saw the trophy on the list I assumed it would be me defeating Harbinger, TIM, or some kind of weird super mecha saren.

Moaradin

The Mordin death scene was probably the best part of the game for me. That part got me.

Oh yea, that was the most bittersweet moment in the series. The most happy moment in the series though was the peace between quarians and geth, though that part can go pretty shitty if you didn't do everything right lol.

I am not happy because Walters and Hudson made some fucking bad decisions by themselves. I hold them entirely responsible, and direct my criticism there way.

Them not attending the PAX panel I feel is an example of other people sharing my stance directing similar criticism right at them.

I can't reconcile this in my head. Do we really know if Walters and Hudson planned the ending scenario in a vacuum? A part of me wants to think that maybe MAYBE, near the early stages of what they had planned, they might have had a solid idea for the ending. It just wasn't hashed out and vetted properly. And having a fresh set of eyes looking over what they had, that might have saved them, the series and the entire company so much of this grief and conflict.

Because if the endings really are written by Walters and Hudson; they have to take the fall for this. I mean they have to. Weekes shouldn't bear the brunt of the criticism from fans.

Nert

The Mordin death scene was probably the best part of the game for me. That part got me.

The Renegade ending to Tuchanka is one of the most emotionally effecting moments I've had with a video game. Betraying Mordin and Wrex, probably my two favorite characters in the series, felt terrible, but Eve's death (in my file), the likelihood of aggressive Krogan expansion in the future, and the promise of the Salarian fleet were enough to make the choice to sabotage the cure seem reasonable.

Of course, none of this ended up meaning anything in the context of the game's ending, which... yeah.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Just finished this last night.

J1lcn.jpg

Fuck it.

I can't believe I have spent literally hundreds and hundreds of hours for this series. I lost count how many times I have replayed Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2... right now it seemed like such an incredibly idiotic thing to do. I also usually abhor the DLC practice thing but I bought all of the ME2 DLCs and From Ashes just because I love the universe so much.

The most painful part is I really, really enjoyed the game before the ending. So many amazing moments: the Asari homeworld's assault, the romance between my Shepard and Tali (so many heart-tugging scenes here, especially after the Rannoch assault), the awesome friendship and bro-ship of Garrus, Mordin's death and the resolution of the Genophage, the surprising revelation of Prothean's true nature as this not-so-good totalitarian empire, the conclusion of all the unresolved plot points from ME2, meeting them again in various circumstances, the London chat between me and all of my friends from the past and current.....

God.... so many beautiful moments. So many incredible moments. I really feel connected to the characters since I have been playing it from the very beginning. I grinned stupidly every time Garrus made a joke, I smiled when Shepard said "Thanks... EDI" when EDI revealed that during the course of ME2 him and Tali got physical (and various I love you moments), I felt genuine sense of "damn..." for Liara and all of her tribulations....

And all of that. All of that is wiped out just because of the last 1% section of this series. All of that is just... gone with an incredibly stupid final conclusion. I just can't believe how Bioware is idiotic enough to pull that kind of crap in a game series as big as Mass Effect.

And now I felt like I was the one idiotic enough to put so many investments: time, money, and emotions, for this series. Goddamn others may think this as "just a game man!", but I was so disappointed by this I actually felt rather hurt emotionally by this.

Goddamnit.

Just finished this last night.

J1lcn.jpg

Fuck it.

I can't believe I have spent literally hundreds and hundreds of hours for this series. I lost count how many times I have replayed Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2... right now it seemed like such an incredibly idiotic thing to do. I also usually abhor the DLC practice thing but I bought all of the ME2 DLCs and From Ashes just because I love the universe so much.

The most painful part is I really, really enjoyed the game before the ending. So many amazing moments: the Asari homeworld's assault, the romance between my Shepard and Tali (so many heart-tugging scenes here), the awesome friendship and bro-ship of Garrus, Mordin's death, the surprising revelation of Prothean's true nature as this not-so-good totalitarian empire, the conclusion of all the unresolved plot points from ME2, meeting them again in various circumstances, the London chat between me and all of my friends from the past and current.....

God.... so many beautiful moments. So many incredible moments. I really feel connected to the characters since I have been playing it from the very beginning. I grinned stupidly every time Garrus made a joke, I smiled when Shepard said "Thanks... EDI" when EDI revealed that during the course of ME2 him and Tali got physical (and various I love you moments), I felt genuine sense of "damn..." for Liara and all of her tribulations....

And all of that. All of that is wiped out just because of the last 1% section of this series. All of that is just... gone with an incredibly stupid final conclusion. I just can't believe how Bioware is idiotic enough to pull that kind of crap in a game series as big as Mass Effect.

And now I felt like I was the one idiotic enough to put so many investments: time, money, and emotions, for this series. Goddamn others may think this as "just a game man!", but I was so disappointed by this I actually felt rather hurt emotionally by this.

Goddamnit.

^

That was me a few days ago.

It's okay. You can find some humor in this via the Internet. Eg, massdeflect.tumblr.com.

The Renegade ending to Tuchanka is one of the most emotionally effecting moments I've had with a video game. Betraying Mordin and Wrex, probably my two favorite characters in the series, felt terrible, but Eve's death (in my file), the likelihood of aggressive Krogan expansion in the future, and the promise of the Salarian fleet were enough to make the choice to sabotage the cure seem reasonable.

Of course, none of this ended up meaning anything in the context of the game's ending, which... yeah.

Yeah not a great choice in retrospect.

-Krogans remain on Tuchanka, probably only survive a handful more generations at best due to genophage. Their uh... talent? for living in a destroyed shell of a planet would have made them the best at adapting to the new Earth.
-Salarians in larger numbers are stranded in Sol System instead of on their homeworld which seemed pretty reaper-free compared to everywhere else.
-You killed your best buds.

On the plus side I guess the people stuck in the Sol System, whatever ones find a way to survive at least, wouldn't have to live in constant fear of the Krogans deciding to just kill everyone else.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yeah not a great choice in retrospect.

-Krogans remain on Tuchanka, probably only survive a handful more generations at best due to genophage. Their uh... talent? for living in a destroyed shell of a planet would have made them the best at adapting to the new Earth.
-Salarians in larger numbers are stranded in Sol System instead of on their homeworld which seemed pretty reaper-free compared to everywhere else.
-You killed your best buds.

On the plus side I guess the people stuck in the Sol System, whatever ones find a way to survive at least, wouldn't have to live in constant fear of the Krogans deciding to just kill everyone else.

Giving how shitty desperate humans can get and that those other races probably arent much better...lol

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I know that feel Shep.

It's all rainbows and unicorns until the rainbow explodes.

spekkeh

Banned
Did everyone with the Destroy ending have their romance step out of the Normandy behind Joker? And did this happen at the control ending as well? I'm wondering whether this gives credence to the indoctrination story or not.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I hate indoctrination more than the endings, about which I'm neutral. :p

My opinion is that it certainly does not. In the script files the stargazer is 10,000 years in the future. It's the same planet that Joker lands on. He refers to Shepard as a "the" Shepard, some kind of (religious) savior. I would say that it pretty much destroys the theory because BW wanted to have a winter wonderland, not indoctrination.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Did everyone with the Destroy ending have their romance step out of the Normandy behind Joker? And did this happen at the control ending as well? I'm wondering whether this gives credence to the indoctrination story or not.

It gives credence to the theory that Bioware were lazy bumblefucks. In that people that were just with me on the ground walked out of that damn ship.

But yes your LI and characters you play a lot with will step out.

Top Bottom