• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Looks like Walters isn't the only one involved in the new comic series. He's penning the first issue (about Vega, lol), but the second issue (Tali) is by Patrick Weekes and Jeremy Barlow. The latter will detail her lead up to ME1, likely the stuff Tali hints at in ME3.

Arjen

Is Invasion worth reading? I'm debating on getting it. Want my collection complete but if it's utter trash i'll skip it.

Sober

Looks like Walters isn't the only one involved in the new comic series. He's penning the first issue (about Vega, lol), but the second issue (Tali) is by Patrick Weekes and Jeremy Barlow. The latter will detail her lead up to ME1, likely the stuff Tali hints at in ME3.
Vega was a good character but he literally had like two actual backstory discussions; getting his CO killed and getting into N7. Someone must've been really lazy to just say "fuck it" and put everything else into comics. Was FPJ really too expensive or something to keep around?

I mean, he had some fantastic lines with the other characters but when you went to speak to him it was kinda just ... there wasn't really anything, which is a shame.

Anybody who likes the unlock system in MP deserves to be hated. Such a shitty system.
The unlock system is shitty but you can get by without having the top tier weapons since powers trump weapons in terms of damage you can put out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is Invasion worth reading? I'm debating on getting it. Want my collection complete but if it's utter trash i'll skip it.

It's...okay, if your standards are low. It's more concise and plausible than Evolution. I figure a character from it will appear in the inevitable Take Back Omega DLC.

Arjen

It's...okay, if your standards are low. It's more concise and plausible than Evolution. I figure a character from it will appear in the inevitable Take Back Omega DLC.

Thanks, i bought and read Deception so i'm used to low. Guess i'll get it then.

Speaking of Evolution, I guess those boring female Turian designs are canon now, huh? Maybe they were from the beginning, but I was always hoping they'd be overwritten by some kind of more interesting design when we finally saw a female Turian in Mass Effect 3. Because, y'know, the Turian Military has loads of women in it and we go to the moon of the Turian homeworld in ME3 and it'd be crazy if we didn't see one single female Turian in the entire series. Also if you finally won the Homeworld back for your girl Tali and she took her mask off right there in front of you and it was the perfect moment for the biggest reveal of the entire trilogy and then the game just faded to black. That would be pretty crazy too.

EatChildren

Vega was a good character but he literally had like two actual backstory discussions; getting his CO killed and getting into N7. Someone must've been really lazy to just say "fuck it" and put everything else into comics. Was FPJ really too expensive or something to keep around?

I mean, he had some fantastic lines with the other characters but when you went to speak to him it was kinda just ... there wasn't really anything, which is a shame.

I didn't...mind, Vega, but I didn't care about him. He was just kinda...there, like you said. No real story or dialogue. Plus, even though I like FPJ, I thought it was weird they got him to voice a character of Vega's heritage.

@EatChildren
what stuff with Tali again?

On the Citadel, recounting when they first met, Tali mentions her run in with gangsters, getting shot, and being told to leave by C-Sec, prior to the incident with Shepard. Her issue of Homeworlds will tell that story, by the looks of things.

Dresden

Man, playing Alpha Protocol and that game is so badass.

Wish the combat wasn't so awkward. Don't think I could manage if pistols weren't so OP.

ckohler

I just beat the game, and well, I loved the ending. It was pretty epic. I had to actually look up this thread to learn why so many people hated it.

Frankly, the issues given in that top 10 video in the OP all seem petty and presumptuous. I don't expect others to agree but whatever. I loved it. :p

I just beat the game, and well, I loved the ending. It was pretty epic. I had to actually look up this thread to learn why so many people hated it.

Frankly, the issues given in that top 10 video in the OP all seem petty and presumptuous. I don't expect others to agree but whatever. I loved it. :p

Well, I can respect that at least you read the OP first before announcing you liked it.

Just not sure how someone doesn't have a problem with how the three endings are 95% the same thing.

def sim

Man, playing Alpha Protocol and that game is so badass.

Wish the combat wasn't so awkward. Don't think I could manage if pistols weren't so OP.

Yeah, dice rolls and real time gunplay just doesn't work. ME1 handled it by favoring balance towards the player early on and it's the same with Alpha. Chain shot is so broken.

Interesting game, though I found it to be one of the weaker story lines from Obsidian. Really felt like a network movie.

ckohler

Well, I can respect that at least you read the OP first before announcing you liked it.

Just not sure how someone doesn't have a problem with how the three endings are 95% the same thing.
My answer to that is because when I played, I could only chose one ending and so I was left wondering the significance of the others. To learn now that the other endings were very similar doesn't take away that feeling I had when the choice was before me.

Even if my choice was an illusion, it felt real. It felt like the most important decision my Shepard had and would ever make. It was epic.

Any details on why you liked it?

My answer to that is because when I played, I could only chose one ending and so I was left wondering the significance of the others. To learn now that the other endings were very similar doesn't take away that feeling I had when the choice was before me.

Wish my mind could work that way. I'd be much better off without the knowledge of the other "colors".

Though I still have plenty of problems with the one ending I did officially do.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...

Even if my choice was an illusion, it felt real. It felt like the most important decision my Shepard had and would ever make. It was epic.

Out of curiosity, which ending did you pick?

TheYanger

Technically killing Wrex in 1 would be better because Mordin lives. If you don't, Mordin, Wrex, and Eve dies and Wreav will rule anyway. So you need to let him live to truly be a monster!
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's simply incorrect. I had only Mordin die, the genophage cured, nobody else you mentioned died, I suspect most people had it happen that way that had both characters alive.

Petty and presumptuous how? I mean...that just sounds like pure head in the sand denial to me. I mean I respect that there are different opinions, but when something is FACTUALLY poorly written, I don't think it's petty or presumptuous to point it out. It's an important aspect of the game, so it's certainly not petty to complain about the very nature of it (these aren't minor niggles people have with the resolution here, they are major plotholes and wtf moments). Presumptuous...well I mean you can take it two ways. Either it's people presuming that the series should end in a manner consistent with the other 99% of the games (which isn't really a 'presumption' in the sense that you're using it, otherwise you might as well call any expectation of literary consistency in any medium to be 'presumptuous'), or you're saying that we have to make too many leaps of logic to tear the ending apart, which I would argue is simply flawed: it takes almost NO presumption to explain why the ending is bad, what takes a lot of presuming is trying to fill the gaps the ending leaves in a fashion that actually causes it to make sense.

I now have convinced myself through this logical exercise that thinking the ending was anything OTHER than shit, is presumptuous.

Jintor

I now have convinced myself through this logical exercise that thinking the ending was anything OTHER than shit, is presumptuous.

I've been of this opinion for a while. I find it difficult to believe a person used to thinking critically about things would be able to accept the ending of ME3 as, well, good. Consequentially, in order to maintain relationships with people, I just don't enter these conversations outside of GAF.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's simply incorrect. I had only Mordin die, the genophage cured, nobody else you mentioned died, I suspect most people had it happen that way that had both characters alive.

Oh, I was just talking pure Renegade there. So the scenario with Wrex alive is you shoot Mordin, you destroyed the data in 2 so Eve dies in 3, then Wrex comes to the Citadel and you kill him. If you kill Wrex in 1, Eve will still die if the data is destroyed, and Mordin will have a chance to live in this scenario because of Wreav being the leader.

Basically it was about how to be as big of an asshole as possible. :p

Trey

I could never respect the opinion of wanting the Mako back, unless the entire concept was completely overhauled. All the worst parts of ME1 to me were Mako bits. Such a chore to use that garbage can. I'm glad they cut it and never looked back. The focus of the franchise was always the character building for me.

me301c.gif

Oh, I was just talking pure Renegade there. So the scenario with Wrex alive is you shoot Mordin, you destroyed the data in 2 so Eve dies in 3, then Wrex comes to the Citadel and you kill him. If you kill Wrex in 1, Eve will still die if the data is destroyed, and Mordin will have a chance to live in this scenario because of Wreav being the leader.

Basically it was about how to be as big of an asshole as possible. :p

Wreav in charge and helping you fight, cured or not, seems like it would end horribly for everyone else once they're all stranded in the Sol System.

Not to mention Mordin is on the crucible if he's alive for the end of the game, so...

I've been of this opinion for a while. I find it difficult to believe a person used to thinking critically about things would be able to accept the ending of ME3 as, well, good. Consequentially, in order to maintain relationships with people, I just don't enter these conversations outside of GAF.

I liked the ending. It caused a lot of controversy and got people talking and speculating and even sending cupcakes.

Also, there were so many amazing parts in this game story wise I dont see why the ending is the focal point. The genophage decision, the geth/quarian decision, both those were really hard to make.

Big-E

My only problems with the Mako were due to the fact a lot of the time resources were on the other side of a mountain range and getting the Mako over mountains was fucking stupid. I will argue that planet scanning is the most offensive thing in a major video game release. Mako just needed the terrain fixed or make it better at traversal and it would have been perfect.

TheYanger

I liked the ending. It caused a lot of controversy and got people talking and speculating and even sending cupcakes.

Also, there were so many amazing parts in this game story wise I dont see why the ending is the focal point. The genophage decision, the geth/quarian decision, both those were really hard to make.
Why is the ending the focal point? because it's the fucking ending. If Tuchanka had been a slow part of the game with great other scenes and a great ending, it could be more forgivable (Hell, ME1 had Feros that part was slow and dumb). Instead, the most important part of the story is completely botched. You know why nobody would care if it were other games? because in most games the story and characters have no connection that we care about anyway. Mass Effect is not most games. Mass Effect is a game where it matters, and when the plot matters, how you end it matters.

My only problems with the Mako were due to the fact a lot of the time resources were on the other side of a mountain range and getting the Mako over mountains was fucking stupid. I will argue that planet scanning is the most offensive thing in a major video game release. Mako just needed the terrain fixed or make it better at traversal and it would have been perfect.

This. Anyone that thought the mako controlled badly...I NEVER got those complaints. It controls exactly as it should. It controls the same as the freaking warthog in halo games.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wreav in charge and helping you fight, cured or not, seems like it would end horribly for everyone else once they're all stranded in the Sol System.

Not to mention Mordin is on the crucible if he's alive for the end of the game, so...

Does Wreav actually become an asset? When Wrex died on my second playthrough there was a Salarian team in his place, so I'm not sure Wreav was actually there. But yeah, either way the Krogan are in bad shape with him at the reign.

*shrugs*

I actually liked my ending. Shephard chooses to eradicate the reapers and dies in the process. Anderson dies. I thought it was all good.

I don't mind that my decisions didn't effect that final moment because I felt they had an impact throughout the rest of the game. Sometimes you're left with a decision in life that is going to be independent of the rest. That will define you going forward. The final decision is one of those.

Honestly, when I was posed with the decision, I knew exactly what I was going to choose based on who my Shephard had become, so it wasn't some simply arbitrary choice.

The only thing that buys me is how the Citadel moved above Earth. Since it was ultimately Reaper technology I'm left to assume that they had a very fast way of moving it through the cosmos.

Trey

Why is the ending the focal point? because it's the fucking ending. If Tuchanka had been a slow part of the game with great other scenes and a great ending, it could be more forgivable (Hell, ME1 had Feros that part was slow and dumb). Instead, the most important part of the story is completely botched. You know why nobody would care if it were other games? because in most games the story and characters have no connection that we care about anyway. Mass Effect is not most games. Mass Effect is a game where it matters, and when the plot matters, how you end it matters.

This. Anyone that thought the mako controlled badly...I NEVER got those complaints. It controls exactly as it should. It controls the same as the freaking warthog in halo games.

No it doesn't. The analogs overlap so you can aim the gun and drive. The camera moved faster than the gun, so you had to wait for it to align on the enemy you were targeting. It controls like the Reach tank. Except the Mako is supposed to be fast and nimble over terrain but only the front wheels move so the turning is loose. The booster was pathetic and probably was there more to unstick you from geometry than anything else. The Hammerhead didn't fix things completely because while it controlled much better, it only got linear, on-rails terrain to work with.

Does Wreav actually become an asset? When Wrex died on my second playthrough there was a Salarian team in his place, so I'm not sure Wreav was actually there. But yeah, either way the Krogan are in bad shape with him at the reign.

Yeah, if you fool Wreav you end up with the Salarian asset, the Krogan clans asset, and the Clan Urdnot asset (which is where Wreav would be, as their leader).

Here's Wreav on Earth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfExUGVK3YM

He already annexes Australia for the Krogan.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

I thought the Hammerhead in the Overlord DLC solved a lot of the problems, while not the same size as we had in ME1, the level was big enough to rush around on and had bits and bobs to find and most of the terrain was either flat or had some sort of overly simplistic puzzle to getting places.

If they had developed that more, add a few places to zoom around, I would have been happy.
Also maybe add some armour on the Hammerhead so that a strong gust of wind couldn't destroy it.

rdrr gnr

Option 4:

The Catalyst: Pick the final option and you will destroy the Reapers. However, the relays will be harvested for their energy and materials, and all organics will be forced to drive around in Makos.

*shrugs*

I actually liked my ending. Shephard chooses to eradicate the reapers and dies in the process. Anderson dies. I thought it was all good.

I don't mind that my decisions didn't effect that final moment because I felt they had an impact throughout the rest of the game. Sometimes you're left with a decision in life that is going to be independent of the rest. That will define you going forward. The final decision is one of those.

Honestly, when I was posed with the decision, I knew exactly what I was going to choose based on who my Shephard had become, so it wasn't some simply arbitrary choice.

The only thing that buys me is how the Citadel moved above Earth. Since it was ultimately Reaper technology I'm left to assume that they had a very fast way of moving it through the cosmos.

Totally with you on this. As soon as i finished the game, i thought, that was awesome - then started another playthrough. I dont see why people are up in arms complaining about something when the entire game was excellent.

The best complaint ive seen is someone on a here i believe saying that ME3 "ruined the first two games for him as well" - thats amazing. How can the last 5 minutes of a third game ruin the first two games?

I love the ME series. The entire world/universe/graphics/combat/sound/dialogue/choice/consequence is just fantastic. The minor issues aside or completely outweighed by the overall quality of the series.

Jintor

It's a kind of lethargy brought on by the fact that nothing I do except that final choice in the last few minutes of the game affects the sum total of the universe. All I can do is ride the set path and change the decor on the way in. Compare to something like Alpha Protocol, which despite still being locked in a similar kind of structure branches like fucking crazy (though admittedly it still only has four distinct endings. At least they're more than a palette swap)

Top Bottom