• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

I will fight this man to the death.

I guess that where we agree to disagree. I find the god-space kid to be a dumb and simplistic story telling device. I find the entire idea of the kid haunting your dreams to be dumb and without purpose.

I find the 3 possible outcomes stupid and without meaning. I won't even mention the reasons for the Reapers to "reap"...

What possible outcomes could there have been though? Realistically speaking? The Reapers were winning. No matter how big a force you amass The Reapers were going to win. They've been winning for countless millenia.

In a situation like that your options are usually limited and, dare I say, desperate. Shepard made a desperate choice with all he had left to give.

Saved the galaxy? Not in this ending.

Yes, I saved the Galaxy by not playing the Arrival DLC.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm sure most people wanted the possibility of that.

Personally, I thought it'd range from "Reapers wipe the galaxy out" to "Shepard dies to save the galaxy" to "ROTJ ending, feelsgoodman.jpg".

Shepard dying is the least of the ending problems. Last time I checked, Red Dead Redemption's ending is almost universally considered one of the highest points of the game.

But Red Dead Redemption wasn't about choice. If you did your best to get Maximum Cowboy Readiness and still died, people would still get pissed. It's the idea that this ending is inevitable that gets people angry.
Essentially that's still wanting a happy ending in my book.

Rapstah

What possible outcomes could there have been though? Realistically speaking? The Reapers were winning. No matter how big a force you amass The Reapers were going to win. They've been winning for countless millenia.

In a situation like that your options are usually limited and, dare I say, desperate. Shepard made a desperate choice with all he had left to give.

It takes 1000 EMS for the fleet to kill one reaper just with the initial wave of firing on the Reaper fleet on Earth. You can have 7300 EMS with multiplayer played until 100% readiness. Why is it so ridicolous that you could win against the Reaper fleet in the space battle? Earth seems fucked, but screw Earth. Since you have built the Crucible you're already doing better than the previous cycles, so who's to say the Reapers will always win a straight up battle except that the cut scene only has catastrophic and neutral outcomes as options?

Bowdz

I will fight this man to the death.

The introduction of the “god child” character at the very end of the game was a twist I didn’t see coming. The wispy image of the dead child that haunted Shepard did wonders for explaining the Reapers purpose to me, and what exactly my options were. I boarded the Citadel with the intent to finish off the Reapers, and I committed to achieving that goal despite the cost of destroying all synthetic life. I thought about Edi, Legion, and the entire Geth population before making this decision. It sucked, but it seemed like the best option. How long would Shepard be able to control the Reapers if I had went with the blue ending, and isn’t it unfair to push synthetic hybridization onto all sentient life? I understand that destroying synthetics may seem brutal, but let’s face it – they’re not alive. That’s how I rationalized it, anyway.

I am speechless. Forcing Shepard to have PTSD concerning one child (which goes against the character of most Shepards) and than having it relay the central point of the Reapers in a poorly written, poorly acted monologue is not what I would consider meaningful but each to their own.

The comic specified the story would continue in ME3 at the end: P

Aria loses omega in the comic, which is why she's on the citadel in ME3.

Yeah, I skimmed the first issue of the comic in the Collector's Edition, and although the writing seemed to be largely garbage, there seemed to be sufficient details in that issue alone to illustrate why Aria left. In any case, it's not really an important plot detail - just another way for Bioware to cut corners (i.e., with Aria on the citadel, they have an excuse for why you can't visit Omega, which would have required more content preparation that they clearly couldn't handle).

So there's no point in elongating that plot thread - although that's reason enough for me to think Bioware will pursue it, rather than taking the hard path of swallowing their pride on the craptastic ending and offering a revision.

One pervasive theme throughout this series is that Shepard can overcome the impossible. Defeating Sovereign? Shep did that. Complete a suicide mission through the Omega-4 Relay? Shep did that and can bring back everyone alive. Unite the various races in the galaxy? Shep did that. Shepard takes a look at impossible scenarios and says, "Fuck you. I'm gonna do it." If they followed this theme, Shepard would have shot the Catalyst and let the collective might of the galaxy do its work for better or worse, because it is better to lose on your terms than win on theirs.

It takes 1000 EMS for the fleet to kill one reaper just with the initial wave of firing on the Reaper fleet on Earth. You can have 7300 EMS with multiplayer played until 100% readiness. Why is it so ridicolous that you could win against the Reaper fleet in the space battle? Earth seems fucked, but screw Earth. Since you have built the Crucible you're already doing better than the previous cycles, so who's to say the Reapers will always win a straight up battle except that the cut scene only has catastrophic and neutral outcomes as options?

In the narrative destroying just one Reaper on Tali's homeworld is cause for celebration. It's a huge deal. The EMS thing almost spoils the entire experience because people are convinced that with higher EMS they stand a good chance of easily taking out the Reapers. From a narrative perspective I didn't see that at all.

I hated the EMS/online play crap. Should have just been TMS and been done with it.

One pervasive theme throughout this series is that Shepard can overcome the impossible. Defeating Sovereign? Shep did that. Complete a suicide mission through the Omega-4 Relay? Shep did that and can bring back everyone alive. Unite the various races in the galaxy? Shep did that. Shepard takes a look at impossible scenarios and says, "Fuck you. I'm gonna do it." If they followed this theme, Shepard would have shot the Catalyst and let the collective might of the galaxy do its work for better or worse, because it is better to lose on your terms than win on theirs.

He absolutely overcame the impossible at the end of this game. No other being in the existence of the universe got as far as Shepard did. How is that not overcoming the impossible? He stopped the Reapers. That is overcoming the impossible. If Shepard thought like you all "intelligent" life in the galaxy would have been wiped out. No way in hell would I want you making that decision for me. Take the deal and wipe out the Reapers. Threat stopped. Impossible achieved.

All they need to do is shoot the eye where the lazer comes from, its easy.

He absolutely overcame the impossible at the end of this game. No other being in the existence of the universe got as far as Shepard did. How is that not overcoming the impossible? He stopped the Reapers. That is overcoming the impossible. If Shepard thought like you all "intelligent" life in the galaxy would have been wiped out. No way in hell would I want you making that decision for me. Take the deal and wipe out the Reapers. Threat stopped. Impossible achieved.

Your enemy, in the form of a child, teleported you into the area you wouldn't have gotten to otherwise, and essentially gave you his terms for you to submit to, and at no point can you point out his broken logic. It's condescending.

Karl2177

Again, the Crucible changed the properties of the explosion. Yes it was blowing up; no it wasn't harmful provided you had enough EMS.

You see the energy harmlessly fly over the soldiers fighting at Earth. If you had low EMS, it disintegrated them.

Canonically, what the hell does a military score have to do with changing the beam from a weapon that no one knows how it works.

Has the "Starchild" been explained at all?

When I met the Catalyst in Starchild form at the end of the game, I assumed that it was just the AI of the device taking the form of something from Shepard's subconscious. With that thought in mind, it didn't bother met hat much that the AI looked like the child. But it seems that it is more of an issue with others.

Your enemy, in the form of a child, teleported you into the area you wouldn't have gotten to otherwise, and essentially gave you his terms for you to submit to, and at no point can you point out his broken logic. It's condescending.

Yes, it is condescending. They're the superior force. They get to be condescending because they can wipe you out.

Shepard got us as far as getting the option of not being annihilated. Something no one else can claim. That's the huge victory, for better or worse.

JerkShep

Nothing new on the ending? I'm really giving up on this game, I can't even finish my second run on insanity with another character, and not because of the difficulty lol.

def sim

But Red Dead Redemption wasn't about choice. If you did your best to get Maximum Cowboy Readiness and still died, people would still get pissed. It's the idea that this ending is inevitable that gets people angry.

That doesn't even work. Why are you still operating under the fact that we want a happy ending or keep forcing it into a topic? If I have the maximum amount of EMS, I expected them to use my assets similar to how upgrades in ME2 worked. Not to win the whole war or anything ludicrous, but to show that the number we've been raising actually meant something. Anything. Instead it's, "reach 3000 for non disintegration, reach 5000 and see that we can't even commit to killing Shepard." It feels cheap. It shows how crap that system was.

Yes, it is condescending. They're the superior force. They get to be condescending because they can wipe you out.

Shepard got us as far as getting the option of not being annihilated. Something no one else can claim. That's the huge victory, for better or worse.

By that logic the ending might have been the Catalyst turning out to be a giant rainbow unicorn that literally shits on the entire galaxy in return for not killing us. Just lightyears wide turds on everything. WE DID IT WE SAVED THE GALAXY

"i was so moved by the unicorn, what a powerful image."
-game journalist

hwalker84

Is anyone else concerned about the upcoming PAX panel? I have a bad feeling it's going to get bombed by the angriest of angry Mass Effect fans. The fans have legit concerns, and there are respectful ways to address Bioware about them. I'm just worried that will all go out the window once a room full of fans are given some concrete targets for their rage and everyone goes into full on Comic Book Store Guy mode.

That's why i'll have some popcorn ready.

The Catalyst gave you some bad reasoning for why the Reapers reap and lets you make a choice on its terms. Shepard doesn't question it. Doesn't even bats an eye at it.

What I am saying is that it is completely out of character for any Shepard. And anybody's Shepard would rather win or lose on our terms than let the Catalyst determine how we win.

Also the whole "they can wipe you out easily" thing and the fact that the Catalyst has to physically drag you into the space room and give you options makes the whole, "YOU MADE IT HERE NOW OUR SOLUTION WON'T WORK," nonsensical.

Also, the fact that the Reapers apparently forgot what the Citadel does before the battle, did a shit job of attacking the Crucible, and apparently don't know how to counteract the Crucible despite it being designed over countless cycles. If they had just thought "oh wait" for like 2 seconds, their current "solution" (to a nonproblem) would have been perfectly fine, Shepard or no.

DTKT

Also, uniting the Galaxy would give you a good chance at destroying the Reaper. As far as we know, it's the only cycle where that actually happened. The prothean were a giant unified race. They were not united. They crumbled because they were all the same.

So fuck the "We can't destroy the Reapers". My Shepard totally could.

:|

Rapstah

Also, uniting the Galaxy would give you a good chance at destroying the Reaper. As far as we know, it's the only cycle where that actually happened. The prothean were a giant unified race. They were not united. They crumbled because they were all the same.

This can't possibly be true because it can't possibly be true.

MechaX

Yes, I saved the Galaxy by not playing the Arrival DLC.

You saved the galaxy by standing the fleets of every major species in the Sol System, without resources to sustain even Earth's survivors (let alone the Turians and other species who can't even eat Earth food). But they could just fly back to their home systems, since FTL speeds is still possible withou- oh wait, the magic explosions damaged the Normandy and most likely damaged every ship in the Sol System too (funny enough, it doesn't affect humans, but if you look closely, it actually ignites a derelict Reaper). Too bad there will now be an extreme power vacuum when considering the Council and everyone on the Citadel was probably killed off screen twice over (both when the Reapers took over and when the Crucible fires, destroying the Citadel). And most of species' leaders are completely cut-off from their home planets. And those other planets are also likely screwed because of lack of resources and the inability to trade with any one with any degree of economic success except the fleet at Sol.

Well, at least space travel might be poss- Oh wait, the segment after the credits takes place 10k years later and space flight is still not possible.

By "saving the galaxy" you mean "ushering in the new era of a galactic dark age that probably ended up with bloody civil wars, power vacuums, and possibly species going extinct", then yeah, Shepard pulled that one off.

that...what? no.

RDR's ending was a logical conclusion, it was a fitting end, it made sense in every way. You knew, you _expected_ that the government assholes were going to dick you over in the end. When you went back to your idyllic little life, you knew the game wasn't over yet, you knew Marston's journey couldn't have finished, and when you have that last shootout, it's heartwrenching, because instead of the game giving you a Bolivian Army ending, it says "no, we're really gonna do it" and it shoots you dead. It evokes the emotional response that it's going for. But that's not all.

When you finish RDR there, and the credits roll, you get pissed. The game just killed you! You don't get revenge on the people who did all this to you, you don't REALLY get closure...then you get to play as Jack, and you get to exact your revenge. You know what Jack's future becomes (everything John didn't want it to be) AND you get to pull that trigger to finish it. There is finality to it; there is closure. There is catharsis, in that post credits sequence.

Mass Effect has none of that. It isn't logical (full of holes), it doesn't make sense, it comes out of the middle of nowhere (instead of being foreshadowed through the game) and it leaves the player with no closure, no catharsis, and a very, very odd finality. Everyone who finished RDR got mad, then got even. Everyone who finished ME3 sat back from the TV set and said "what the hell did I just witness?"

Also the whole "they can wipe you out easily" thing and the fact that the Catalyst has to physically drag you into the space room and give you options makes the whole, "YOU MADE IT HERE NOW OUR SOLUTION WON'T WORK," nonsensical.

Also, the fact that the Reapers apparently forgot what the Citadel does before the battle, did a shit job of attacking the Crucible, and apparently don't know how to counteract the Crucible despite it being designed over countless cycles. If they had just thought "oh wait" for like 2 seconds, their current "solution" (to a nonproblem) would have been perfectly fine, Shepard or no.

I think in all of the other cycles, they shut off the relay network, too.

It's another running theme through the series: strength through diversity. With so many diverse beings on our crew in ME1 and ME2, we were able to achieve great things. With humans, krogan, turians, asari, and so on, we would have a pretty good chance at defeating the reapers.

You saved the galaxy by standing the fleets of every major species in the Sol System, without resources to sustain even Earth's survivors (let alone the Turians and other species who can't even eat Earth food). But they could just fly back to their home systems, since FTL speeds is still possible withou- oh wait, the magic explosions damaged the Normandy and most likely damaged every ship in the Sol System too (funny enough, it doesn't affect humans, but if you look closely, it actually ignites a derelict Reaper). Too bad there will now be an extreme power vacuum when considering the Council and everyone on the Citadel was probably killed off screen twice over (both when the Reapers took over and when the Crucible fires, destroying the Citadel). And most of species' leaders are completely cut-off from their home planets. And those other planets are also likely screwed because of lack of resources and the inability to trade with any one with any degree of economic success except the fleet at Sol.

Well, at least space travel might be poss- Oh wait, the segment after the credits takes place 10k years later and space flight is still not possible.

By "saving the galaxy" you mean "ushering in the new era of a galactic dark age that probably ended up with bloody civil wars, power vacuums, and possibly species going extinct", then yeah, Shepard pulled that one off.

The other option was that everyone would be dead. Everyone.

Any of the races that would have been destroyed managed to survive prior to discovering the Mass Relays. They are going to find a way to survive now. No one said that the outcome would be all peaches and cream. Shit's still ugly from here on out but at least no one is facing complete annihilation.

Yeah, I saved the Galaxy. The fact that people are talking about it 10k years later proves that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I think in all of the other cycles, they shut off the relay network, too.

It's another running theme through the series: strength through diversity. With so many diverse beings on our crew in ME1 and ME2, we were able to achieve great things. With humans, krogan, turians, asari, and so on, we would have a pretty good chance at defeating the reapers.

Wait a minute, if they got the Citadel, why didnt they just shut off the Relay network? Then the galactic fleet cant attack you by relaying in and they cant deliver the crucible.

spekkeh

Banned

IIRC your two reply options are a) you don't understand, and b) fuck you we don't want this.

The point is he's there and he can't do shit but three options.

In addition to my question above about the Starchild I have a few more based on what people are saying.

1. Where do we find out that the final cut scene is 10,000 years after the ending of the game? I obviously missed that other than what I'm reading online.

2. Why do we believe that space travel is now not possible at all? I understand that the loss of the Relays means no quick flights across the galaxy, but why would there no longer being any space flights between star systems? Short range like we've done in the game in the past?

def sim

People would have been talking about it 10,000 years later anyway. The Reapers don't kill everyone, they left the Yahg alone and they were only a couple hundred years away from being space ready.

Any of the races that would have been destroyed managed to survive prior to discovering the Mass Relays. They are going to find a way to survive now. No one said that the outcome would be all peaches and cream. Shit's still ugly from here on out but at least no one is facing complete annihilation.

Yeah, I saved the Galaxy. The fact that people are talking about it 10k years later proves that.

They survived before mass relays because they still had resources. The huge homeworlds now got most of their resources with colonies they were connected to via mass relays. A codex writer for the first two games confirmed that in the universe they created, the destruction of relays would lead to a mass die-off similar to what destroyed the drell's planet. Homeworlds and mining worlds would be wiped out for the most part, and only colonies like Eden Prime would still be sustainable.

Also, how would you like to know that the Reaper motivation written by the lead writer for ME1 (and co-lead for ME2) was jettisoned for a new one in the last couple months of ME3's development.

Dresden

Not about 'saving the galaxy' or whatever, it's that . . . if your bullshit detectors weren't going off the moment Sheploo got lifted up on the magic elevator, I don't know what to say. It was completely jarring and a total anticlimax after what had transpired before. Everything the vent kid tells you afterward--all the bullshit that we've discussed over the course of the month, for 30k+ posts--is just shit topping on a heaping pile of shit.

I mean, if you liked the ending, more power to you, whatever, I guess. But as a piece of work it fails on almost every level. I don't know how people are unable to see that.

spekkeh

Banned
that...what? no.

RDR's ending was a logical conclusion, it was a fitting end, it made sense in every way. You knew, you _expected_ that the government assholes were going to dick you over in the end. When you went back to your idyllic little life, you knew the game wasn't over yet, you knew Marston's journey couldn't have finished, and when you have that last shootout, it's heartwrenching, because instead of the game giving you a Bolivian Army ending, it says "no, we're really gonna do it" and it shoots you dead. It evokes the emotional response that it's going for. But that's not all.

When you finish RDR there, and the credits roll, you get pissed. The game just killed you! You don't get revenge on the people who did all this to you, you don't REALLY get closure...then you get to play as Jack, and you get to exact your revenge. You know what Jack's future becomes (everything John didn't want it to be) AND you get to pull that trigger to finish it. There is finality to it; there is closure. There is catharsis, in that post credits sequence.

Mass Effect has none of that. It isn't logical (full of holes), it doesn't make sense, it comes out of the middle of nowhere (instead of being foreshadowed through the game) and it leaves the player with no closure, no catharsis, and a very, very odd finality. Everyone who finished RDR got mad, then got even. Everyone who finished ME3 sat back from the TV set and said "what the hell did I just witness?"
I think it's just weird people who didn't see this coming. It was always going to be control the reapers or destroy the reapers, lo and behold the two main options. Then they add a third one that came out of nowhere. Big whoop.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
In addition to my question above about the Starchild I have a few more based on what people are saying.

1. Where do we find out that the final cut scene is 10,000 years after the ending of the game? I obviously missed that other than what I'm reading online.

2. Why do we believe that space travel is now not possible at all? I understand that the loss of the Relays means no quick flights across the galaxy, but why would there no longer being any space flights between star systems? Short range like we've done in the game in the past?

Because the relays enabled transportation of eezo and helium 3 around the galaxy, mainly from colonies and mining stations. Colonies and mining stations that were among the first to get razed whenever reapers hit a system.

There are some production notes or whatever that says that the stargazer sequence takes place 10,000 years later.

First, lack of fuel. The reapers hit the fuel infrastructure when they first invaded and traveling to another star in a cluster consumes a lot of fuel.

Second, space is big. Like so big, you won't be able to make the necessary pit stops to discharge static electricity (this is described in the game's codex). If they don't discharge, the crew will be cooked.

So generally, FTL travel is out of the question and the various races on Earth are stranded on a wartorn planet that doesn't have resources to sustain them.

I think it's just weird people who didn't see this coming. It was always going to be control the reapers or destroy the reapers, lo and behold the two main options. Then they add a third one that came out of nowhere. Big whoop.

It's just weird that their "control the Reapers" option came immediately after you face down a homicidal racist terrorist lunatic who can be convinced that controlling the Reapers was a pipedream all along.

Personally, I would have expected before release an option to screw over Earth and save the greater galaxy, or vice-versa.

The Leviathan of Dis is one billion years old, and it's a Reaper "corpse", the Reapers repeat the cycle every 50.000 years so there must've been over 2.000 cycles and no.cycle.was.able.to.defeat.the.reapers.head.on.

Our cycle had some advantages, yes, we had the Citadel secured so the Reapers couldn't isolate us deactivating the Relays, we had Reaper tech, info and some reverse-engineered Reaper waepons like the Thanix cannon but EVEN if all races unite there's no way we're taking out over 1.000 Reaper capital ships, it's just unfeasible.

The Crucible was our only option and this was the only cycle that could connect it to the Citadel, that's why Shepard was able to "win".

MechaX

Uh... The reapers have gone on record on saying that they do let a fair amount of "potential" races live deliberately. In case point, they completely ignored the Yahg homeworld because they showed the most promise. Moreover, if that were not the case, none of the game's races would even be around, as they were certainly around in much more primitive forms in Javik's cycle. Basically, Shepard might have freed the galaxy from Reaper subjugation, but it is a problem when the final solution is in some ways worse than the "Yo Dawg SYNTHETICZ!" option.

Now, you have a ruined civilization (we at least know that the Reapers are pretty thorough in their destruction, albeit it taking quite a long time) with very few opportunities to actually rebuild and survive. What was probably seen in the 10K years later was a rare form of decedents (and of course the immediate survivors would know about Shepard; Shepard is famous around the galaxy and it is not hard to put two and two together when Reapers just spontaneously leave/fall down).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

So you mean they lied about it not being A, B, and C?

Well thats not nice, is it?

Top Bottom