• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Zen

Banned
So apparently the unique assets that we see during the crashed Normandy sequence have a funny name.

hkpXA.jpg

I N D O C
T R I N A
T I O N T
H E O R Y

If it's true, then why would the Reapers show him a dream of Joker and Schroedinger's squadmate coming out of the Normandy in the "best" ending?

DTKT

It's because the original asset comes from the Dream sequence. It's used in the background as foliage.

This is just getting silly.

You guys are seriously arguing that Bioware's titling of assets is proof of indoctrination? If anything, it is proof they are incapable of it. Go look at what the ending movies are titled. Seriously, go look. These guys are lazy. They are too lazy to even pretend there is more depth to the endings than color.

Also, this thread was moving slow. Community will be the death of us. I don't think we will make 40,000 posts. Barring PAX East or ending DLC revival.

You guys are seriously arguing that Bioware's titling of assets is proof of indoctrination? If anything, it is proof they are incapable of it. Go look at what the ending movies are titled. Seriously, go look. These guys are lazy. They are too lazy to even pretend there is more depth to the endings than color.

Also, this thread was moving slow. Community will be the death of us. I don't think we will make 40,000 posts. Barring PAX East or ending DLC revival.

New thread in Gaming seems likely once they announce whatever it is they are going to announce on Friday.

senador

Banned
I hope this thread continues on. I don't post that often but I enjoy following it for support/lolz. You could say I am Indoctrinated by it.
sorry

Proposal for joke: how would various trilogy characters handle the end of Mass Effect 3?

* How would Master Chief have finished the fight if he met the ghost kid?

* Those Gears of War guys?

* JC Denton?

etc.

Bowdz

I hope this thread continues on. I don't post that often but I enjoy following it for support/lolz. You could say I am Indoctrinated by it.
sorry

Has there ever been a game in which 2 spoiler topics surpass the OT? We are only 2,000 posts away...

senador

Banned
But the dream trees only appear after the beam sequence, don't they?

Yeah. Not there, get shot, get up, they are there. IT theory or not, its interesting they chose to put them there and it'd be nice to have a reason why other than SPECULATION.

Well, a thought I just had is that adding them is weird, but taking away is not so much. Perhaps the scene before originally had them too and were removed for some reason, but they forgot to take them out of the 2nd part. That means likewise, they could have added to the 2nd part but had not yet added to the 1st bit. *shrug*

MYeager

Forget writing a cohesive plot, it's a video game! And it should be treated as ART because video games are ART!

Obi-Wan says Luke Skywalker is their only hope, despite being present when both him and his sister were born. Ruins all of the movies.

rdrr gnr

Well, I do think this thread will reach |OT3| but just not anytime soon. Given Bioware will support ME3 with DLC, and of course, PAX, and if writers get fired or promoted... it'll get there, just slower than before.

DTKT

Well, I do think this thread will reach |OT3| but just not anytime soon. Given Bioware will support ME3 with DLC, and of course, PAX, and if writers get fired or promoted... it'll get there, just slower than before.

Patrick Weekes = dead man walking

There are 3 distinct dream sequences. They are all at different points throughout the story. I believe that two of them are way before the dream.

see comment below yours for what i meant.

I don't know why this bugs me so much, but it bothers me.

Two theories (other than IT being true).

a) Bioware indeed intended for an indoctrination sequence to start right at that point, they discarded it but forgot to remove the trees.
b) The trees are hard-coded with the hazy effect they have for the dream, and they reused the hazy effect for that sequence.

DTKT

see comment below yours for what i meant.

I don't know why this bugs me so much, but it bothers me.

Two theories (other than IT being true).

a) Bioware indeed intended for an indoctrination sequence to start right at that point, they discarded it but forgot to remove the trees.
b) The trees are hard-coded with the hazy effect they have for the dream, and they reused the hazy effect for that sequence.

Or someone messed up and QA didn't catch it.

I'd go with the simplest answers for every single indoctrination "proof". Yes, there was an indoctrination plot line at some point. Bioware removed it because it was too hard to implement properly.

Or someone messed up and QA didn't catch it.

I'd go with the simplest answers for every single indoctrination "proof". Yes, there was an indoctrination plot line at some point. Bioware removed it because it was too hard to implement properly.

I don't believe in the IT (i don't really think it'd be a much better ending..), but no, i don't think it's likely someone can `mess up' by adding stuff to a scene which was not there before. They had to actively add it; that doesn't happen by mistake. It's like saying you were painting a landscape of the russian tundra and you painted a pyramid in it by mistake.

DTKT

I don't believe in the IT (i don't really think it'd be a much better ending..), but no, i don't think it's likely someone can `mess up' by adding stuff to a scene which was not there before. They had to actively add it; that doesn't happen by mistake. It's like saying you were painting a landscape of the russian tundra and you painted a pyramid in it by mistake.

I would have to replay the scene but I don't remember noticing the trees during my playthrough. Some of that stuff is easily missed.

Then, it might have been found but marked as "shippable". It doesn't break the game and it's purely cosmetic.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
So going from that removed PR tweet, what kind of added content would you guys imagine seeing in the ending?

Story cards, videos, lines of dialogue from the Catalyst, nude sex scenes, the death of indoctrination theory? I'll take the last one.

So going from that removed PR tweet, what kind of added content would you guys imagine seeing in the ending?

Story cards, videos, lines of dialogue from the Catalyst, nude sex scenes, the death of indoctrination theory? I'll take the last one.

Just knowing what happens to the fleet and squad mate would be at least nice.

DTKT

Nothing.

I'm ready to bet a 10$ Steam game that Bioware will not come out with content that clarify the ending.

hateradio

Nothing.

I'm ready to bet a 10$ Steam game that Bioware will not come out with content that clarify the ending.
I actually think they'll end up putting the game on Steam later on.

I don't think they'll clarify anything either, but it'll be fun(ny) to see what they do.

Replicant

Patrick Weekes = dead man walking

Bioware will be stupid to lose him. Not only he's the few writers who wrote some of the best scenarios on ME3, he was also who cleared up the situation and pinpoint the issue for what it was. Why should the entire company get the blame due to the mistake of a few individuals? Especially when those individuals are not brave enough to confess to it.

DTKT

Bioware will be stupid to lose him. Not only he's the few writers who wrote some of the best scenarios on ME3, he was also who cleared up the situation and pinpoint the issue for what it was. Why should the entire company get the blame due to the mistake of a few individuals? Especially when those individuals are not brave enough to confess to it.

Because that's not how PR works. I has nothing to do with bravey, it's all about your public image and what message you are trying to get across. Honestly, I doubt they will fire him. But, what he did was clearly not PR approved and I doubt we'll see any other comments from the writers on the team. He probably had a serious talk with either Casey or some drone from HR.

Firing him also sets a pretty bad precedent for anyone on the team.

Subitai

Quick question about the Platinum edition of ME1 for 360: is the Bringing Down The Sky dlc on disc? I can only find used copies in my area.
Yeah it is on disk, I ordered a new second copy (gave original to my brother) from Walmart online and did an in-store pickup to dodge shipping.

hateradio

Neither Hudson nor Walters will be there. We're probably going to hear about the changes to the end/their content initiative from Weekes.

Shoulda left it in gaming for another week I think. Gonna be a shit storm on friday.
That's what I'm thinking, too. One more week would have been enough for PAX, unless there'll be a new thread. :p

rdrr gnr

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT3| Misery Loves Company

This thread has some weird, cult-like undertones: wanting new members, satisfaction from every new member, destroying the Indoctrinated and apathetic outsiders. I strangely feel at home.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Shoulda left it in gaming for another week I think. Gonna be a shit storm on friday.

Announcement of new content and PAX chat will get likely get their own threads.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Are they going to live stream the panel on friday?

I think Bioware said it will be on the Bioware Pulse Stream or whatever, not sure if it's going to be live or not.

edit: I was just thinking on how the internet hate machine will explode if Bioware says during PAX that they have an 'exciting new clarification to the ending' that the team is working hard on....and it'll be announced officially later this month.

I honestly hope/don't think they would be silly enough to do this, but it'd fit right in with their "PR response" to things thus far.

But I can't decide if it'd be more polarizing than ignoring the elephant in the room and not saying anything at all besides a "we're not ready to comment, waiting for more people to finish the game."

Replicant

But I can't decide if it'd be more polarizing than ignoring the elephant in the room and not saying anything at all besides a "we're not ready to comment, waiting for more people to finish the game."

Bioware may beg to differ but they no longer have the luxury to do so anymore. If they are being honest that they need more time to come up with better ending, then people will react positively, but from what I can see, the fans' goodwill have pretty much dried up and most already have bitter taste of the company as a whole. If they still want to salvage their reputation, they need to do it swiftly.

It's unfortunate this happens. But Bioware can only blame themselves and the journalists. If it wasn't for the 'entitled' and 'whiny' comments, the fans may have been more patients (and they were being nice and gracious until everyone started attacking and undermining their efforts). Once you spit on the fans, well, you reap what you sow.

Top Bottom